• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiking holsters

Having trouble hating on it. Water bottle holder is a plus since I usually wear a Camelbak just so I don't have to carry anything in my hands.
I ordered it the other day. It ended up costing about $20 more so I could save a couple dollars on shipping. It should be here tomorrow. It'll be nice for my shorter walks in my neighborhood when summer attire can make carrying a little more difficult. Just slap on the fanny pack and let the eyes roll.

Balls, the two items I ordered so I could get free shipping came today. Not the "holster".

Last edited:
I just ordered one of those REI Osprey Lumber Packs - got it for less than $36.00 as I had some REI member reward $$$ and shipping was free. Not sure how much use it might see but it’s an inexpensive CCW option if needed and summer carry can be a challenge sometimes.

It arrived today. I like it already. For some reason I thought it'd have an integral holster, but it's no biggie; I've probably got one I can use.

I took this thing up Mt Holyoke yestermorn and I'm sold. It's a great piece of kit. I got the HPG Original Kitbag (medium).

No need for an internal holster, either, according to the designer. I stuck a universal mag carrier to the PALS webbing inside by its belt clip, then my BHP nestled neatly in the pistol compartment in the back. It's nice not to have to worry about putting anything in my pockets, too.

I took this thing up Mt Holyoke yestermorn and I'm sold. It's a great piece of kit. I got the HPG Original Kitbag (medium).

No need for an internal holster, either, according to the designer. I stuck a universal mag carrier to the PALS webbing inside by its belt clip, then my BHP nestled neatly in the pistol compartment in the back. It's nice not to have to worry about putting anything in my pockets, too.
For me, the handgun sitting in the bottom of the pistol compartment wasn't a good angle to attain a proper grip.

Glad it worked out for you! 👍

For me, the handgun sitting in the bottom of the pistol compartment wasn't a good angle to attain a proper grip.

Glad it worked out for you! 👍

I wore it high and tight, like I used to wear my LBE. I think it would get very uncomfortable on a long hike if worn lower, but the draw would probably be easier that way.

I just ordered one of those REI Osprey Lumber Packs - got it for less than $36.00 as I had some REI member reward $$$ and shipping was free. Not sure how much use it might see but it’s an inexpensive CCW option if needed and summer carry can be a challenge sometimes.
I’m embarrassed to say I ordered one also. But it’s still in the shipping box.

Don’t tell anyone here. I have a reputation to uphold.

If I was worried about black bears, I would just pack an extra douche and some tampons. Nobody with a penis over the age of 13 needs to worry about black bears.

I have literally shared a pizza with one at fort drum.
You were probably hoping to get eaten so you could get away from Drum

I'm not endorsing this, but Kifaru has come out with a bino holster (made by JC Custom Kydex).

Maybe it meets someone's needs?

Kifaru Bino holster.png

I started wearing my new "hiking holster" everywhere. It's so nice not having to worry about my t shirt riding up too high or wearing a jacket when it's 70 out.

Mmmhmmm. Oh sure, “the bears won’t attack you” “No need for a gun”.They’ll run away”.

Tell that to this guy. lol
Second death in over 30 years of bear attacks. They had to go back as far as 1990 to find a second death.

I've carried pepper spray and a 9mm. I think it's responsible to have a first option for defense before going to something far more permanent.
Won't the bear be too close by the time you find out the spray didn't work?

You could say you spray it while pointing the gun at the same time ... but some of these set up, it would take a few seconds to get both the gun + spray. A few seconds = death when a bear is running at you.

Won't the bear be too close by the time you find out the spray didn't work?

You could say you spray it while pointing the gun at the same time ... but some of these set up, it would take a few seconds to get both the gun + spray. A few seconds = death when a bear is running at you.
A good fogger is a sort of "to whom it may concern, f*** off" at 7 yards. If I was getting charged, I'd go for something lethal. Related: I've used bear spray on a dog that was escalating in its aggressiveness and threatening to attack.

Curious, if the handgun is for bears, why the bear spray?

Or is the handgun not for bears?
The bear spray is for bears (other animals) and the handgun is for people, but both could be used effectively for either.
If I encounter a bear (other animal) the bear spray is going in hand, if there is time the pistol gets out and ready if shit goes sideways or as a hazing method.
I believe in redundancy for life saving gear: I carry two headlamps and a handheld spotlight (with extra batteries for all), water purification and secondary water storage, spare dry base layers, socks, gloves, extra food bars, heat packets etc...
I've encountered three bears total: one brown bear out west, two black bears in the white mountains. None of them wanted anything to do with me.
I've encountered about 5 moose in the white mountains and frankly the are the most frightening animal in the east. Thankfully, they also bolted when I was really far away.
Bear spray is great because you can loop it around your thumb and hike with it while gripping a pole. I've been walking around after dark and heard crashing off trail, after taking a look around with handheld spot light I walked for the next mile or so with the spray in hand and the hip pouch was unzipped

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to do something other than iwb while hiking and I finally got it together. I don’t do long hikes at the moment so I wasn’t in a huge rush. I couldn’t bring myself to buy a dedicated fanny pack so I bought a spiritus mkv that I can wear as a fanny pack. But I can also use it as a chest rig for this or rifle mags when I finally take a class.

I wanted a really solid way to secure my pistol so I made a holster to Velcro in. My dremel work isn’t perfect but I’m happy with how it came out for my first try. I can put it in the back open pouch or zip it in the front to really hide it. I still have to work on it a bit but it seems solid. I’m taking the kids up monadnock on Friday so I should be able to try it out then.

IMG_2566.jpeg
IMG_2567.jpeg
IMG_2568.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom