• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiking holsters

Hahaha, never know when you’re gonna get a squirrel for your camp and need to dunk those little meat bites. 😆

It really does look like that, but on the serious side: it’s a tab of hexamine. The smell is awful though, even through the packaging. So I am thinking of swapping it for a dryer lint ball soaked in wax.

dce.jpeg

idk why i didn't think of that, especially because i have one packed with a tiny camp stove for long hikes.

definitely going to add a packet of chick-fil-a sauce to my go bag though

I rock this fannypack from fieldcraft survival. Its a little bulkier than my last man purse (arctera) especially if i put more than my daily kit in it. But i love the orange on the inside and the easy pull tabs on the pocket that matters. And i didnt think id keep the key lanyard but i use it all the time Unlike a holster i can slide it to 12oclock in the car and i dont lose any access or comfort.

Promocode welcome15

I usually just use a small single strap backpack and carry like I normally do. OWB with a pull over shirt. That way my weapon is always in the same place.

This is what I usually use for setting trail cameras and such:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/511-tactical-rush-moab-6-ambidextrous-tactical-sling-pack

View attachment 762599

Not good options for hiking.

Maybe the OP can define hiking. If going on a hike with a large backpack that includes a waist belt, the fanny pack would need to be adapted.

Having something across the chest supported by one strap can be uncomfortable And the strap, if it is too thick, can be annoying.

Some manufacturers make stuff that works with their packs.

Here is an example from Zpack, it adapts to the backpack.

Look how happy this guy looks. He definitely knows he is not getting laid.

SmartSelect_20230612_152215_Chrome.jpg

You could get a fanny back and adapt it to a backpack as well.

Hahaha, never know when you’re gonna get a squirrel for your camp and need to dunk those little meat bites. 😆

It really does look like that, but on the serious side: it’s a tab of hexamine. The smell is awful though, even through the packaging. So I am thinking of swapping it for a dryer lint ball soaked in wax.

wash Vaseline in acetone and mix 3:7 by weight fuel:sawdust and let dry in the sun, and if you wanna be extra cool press into cubes and coat in candlewax. will light first try with flint in driving KY rain.

Maybe the OP can define hiking. If going on a hike with a large backpack that includes a waist belt, the fanny pack would need to be adapted.

Having something across the chest supported by one strap can be uncomfortable And the strap, if it is too thick, can be annoying.

I got the impression it was for day trips from the OP but after going back to read it again it is confusing. He is looking for ”fanny packs for long treks” which is contradictory.

I like the sling pack I posted but I typically use it for 1/2 day trips or so but for no more than a day trip.

I got the impression it was for day trips from the OP but after going back to read it again it is confusing. He is looking for ”fanny packs for long treks” which is contradictory.

I like the sling pack I posted but I typically use it for 1/2 day trips or so but for no more than a day trip.
I agree. A lot depends on the intended use and the rest of his load.

I rock this fannypack from fieldcraft survival. Its a little bulkier than my last man purse (arctera) especially if i put more than my daily kit in it. But i love the orange on the inside and the easy pull tabs on the pocket that matters. And i didnt think id keep the key lanyard but i use it all the time Unlike a holster i can slide it to 12oclock in the car and i dont lose any access or comfort.
What's your draw time to first shot?

What's your draw time to first shot?
I dont have a shot timer, i was looking at a phone app one last night, but i was thinking, that things gonna pick up every shot by every shooter at the range. I was the only person at the range for like 30 mins today...

But pretty quick

First time i took it to the range to draw and drill on it, and i was just using the timer on my phone; draw, rack, 2 shots eject the mag and put it down, was between 4 and 7s

View attachment 762672

I dont think theyd get in eachothers way. Maybe i wear my pants a little low on the waist but the pack straps always seem to be more up on the hip.

That pack is fugly

Going hiking outside Quebec City this week - problem solved by having no firearms [sad] I'll be using harsh words as necessary.

I’ve come across them on the trail. Yes, even the dreaded mom and cubs. They’re a non issue. If I was “hiking” on some popular suburban trail where the crackheads and muggers might be hanging out then I’d carry. But if I’m in the real woods, I’d rather not have the weight. I do carry out west in the woods. But it’s a whole lot more than a 45 auto.
Usually, but not always. List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia

View attachment 762672

This guy’s definitely got a “dick in a box”
471D0191-DB00-49CC-88C8-7F6C7F91F7D0.gif

First time i took it to the range to draw and drill on it, and i was just using the timer on my phone; draw, rack, 2 shots eject the mag and put it down, was between 4 and 7s
Is this for some kind of competition rules or something? I’m confused why you would train like this otherwise.

This was my rig when I went to Montana. In New England, I carry on my hip. Between my chest rig and backpack, no more me notices the roscoe on my hip

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
Just to clarify, I'm talking about black bears in New England. Take New Hampshire, for example. I don't believe has a fatal bear attack in the history of the state. There have been bear attacks, though. The ones that I know of in most recent years occured in a womans home, at a tent site, and in another man's driveway. These attacks were provoked for reasons that are much different than a bear being provoked to attack a hiker. And I don't know of any that have occurred while hiking. Bears out west, and other species of bear are not what I am referring to. Even the black bears in the western part of the country are known for being more aggressive.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about black bears in New England. Take New Hampshire, for example. I don't believe has a fatal bear attack in the history of the state. There have been bear attacks, though. The ones that I know of in most recent years occured in a womans home, at a tent site, and in another man's driveway. These attacks were provoked for reasons that are much different than a bear being provoked to attack a hiker. And I don't know of any that have occurred while hiking. Bears out west, and other species of bear are not what I am referring to. Even the black bears in the western part of the country are known for being more aggressive.
There have been black bear attacks on hikers in the Smokey mountains and in Quebec. Maybe not New England, but I figure it’s just a matter of time. Is it likely to happen to J. Random Hiker? No. I’d be more concerned about two-legged critters. But I won’t mock someone for deciding to take precautions.

There have been black bear attacks on hikers in the Smokey mountains and in Quebec. Maybe not New England, but I figure it’s just a matter of time. Is it likely to happen to J. Random Hiker? No. I’d be more concerned about two-legged critters. But I won’t mock someone for deciding to take precautions.
I wouldn't mock someone from taking precautions either. But I've seen quite a few people above treeline, where people have died of hypothermia even in the summer, with a pistol on their chest or hip and no provisions in their packs to spend the night if they blew out an ankle up there. Not that the OP is going to do this. But my point is, lugging around a pistol is a pain in the butt if you're giong for more than a casual stroll. Lets make sure we are prepared for things that are far more likely to take us out of the game, and if we still want to pack the extra weight of the .45 on top of that then so be it. I won't bother with it because I don't find bears in New England to be of any kind of threat.

I will say though, that depending on the situation, I might feel more comfortable armed if I am doing overnights. But its not because of bears, really.

And since I've mostly derailed the thread with my boring personal opinions, I'll throw in a holster recommendation. The pancake holsters from Simply Rugged (if they are still making holsters) are excellent and highly recommended for hiking.

Last edited:
It arrived today. I like it already. For some reason I thought it'd have an integral holster, but it's no biggie; I've probably got one I can use.
I tried the Flex Holster from Keepers Concealment inside the pistol compartment of my HPG Kit Bag.

It's meant to be a holster for a belly band, but the velcro did a good job keeping the pistol in place.

HPG kit bag kydex velcro holster.jpg

Ultimately, I ended up using the Kifaru Holster from their Koala line of chest packs.

It keeps the trigger guard covered and I can still get a full firing grip on the pistol.

HPG Kit Bag holster Glock.jpg

It takes a brave man to go toe to toe with a bear using a 45acp. Not to bright, but brave.

Haha very true. The one I stumbled on with her cubs up in a tree was snapping and snarling at me and bluffing like she was going to maul me. Her hair was sticking straight up. It took me by surprise. I had a 357 on me and there was no way I would have gotten it out in time if she actually attacked me, before she initially got to me. I always thought I'd feel comfortable with a 357 if I ended up in a situation like that. But boy did that thing suddenly seem like a little pea shooter. I'm not sure I would have felt more comfortable if I had a rifle, though.

Its one thing looking at a bear that isn't being aggressive toward you and thinking you could take it out with whatever your pistol caliber of choice is if you shot it just where you needed to. It is a whole different thing to be surprised by an aggressive bear charging at you and realize that even if you got it out in time, which I don't think most of us would, that its not going to be anywhere as easy as you thought to make that shot before it is on top of you. Fortunately for me, this bear was bluff charging and I was able to back away and go back where I came from. If it wasn't bluffing and it decided to maul me, I wouldn't put money on me and my 357 coming out on top.

Sling packs give me back and shoulder pain just thinking about them.
When I started hiking, I carried lots of shit that I didn't need and didn't know what I did need. Also the clothes and gear I chose were vastly different from the ones that use now.
Every environment is going to be a bit different and the Northeast is especially difficult to plan for because the weather can change drastically from day to day and season to season.
I assume that the OP is talking about hiking in the northeast because he hasn't stated otherwise.
My primary concerns with gear selection are comfort and efficacy.
Hiking is giant exercise in repetitive stress and physical sustainability.
Little things that are a bit uncomfortable will become painful with time. A little chafing will become an abrasion, a bruise, a blister or a cut in 5-20 miles. A pack that doesn't fit right or is packed improperly can lead to back/shoulder pain and injury overtime. Most of this is irrelevant if you only go for a couple short hikes a year, but becomes critical if you are doing longer hikes with more significant elevations regularly (esp. backpacking or successive days).

About carrying a gun in the woods: Encountering animals while hiking in the NE is unusual. When I started hiking ( esp. I started doing a lot hiking after dark) I was thinking I was going to be running into all kinds of animals that wanted to kill and/or eat me. I did not.
I've seen a few bears and a few moose (the animal that actually scares the shit out of me) and they have all been running away from me as fast as possible.
I carry a gun in the woods because of other people. There are a$$h0les and weirdos everywhere, including the woods where you are often very far away from other people and anyone that might help you.
All that being said... the only times I have felt in imminent danger was because of the weather or the condition of the trails. A bad fall is far more likely to threaten your life. An ankle sprain on a mountain in the winter can be deadly. Check the weather, have layers, get a lightweight pack and good boots that fit, and get a pair of hiking poles (seriously, you may think you look like dork, but they can save your life and you allow you to move faster with confidence). Most of the extra stuff that I carry is related to first aid, staying warm/dry, and improvising shelter if I (or someone else) gets hurt or has to spend the night on the mountain.

Last edited:
About carrying a gun in the woods: Encountering animals while hiking in the NE is unusual. When I started hiking ( esp. I started doing a lot hiking after dark) I was thinking I was going to be running into all kinds of animals that wanted to kill and/or eat me. I did not.
I've seen a few bears and a few moose (the animal that actually scares the shit out of me) and they have all been running away from me as fast as possible.
I carry a gun in the woods because of other people. There are a$$h0les and weirdos everywhere, including the woods where you are often very far away from other people and anyone that might help you.
All that being said... the only times I have felt in imminent danger was because of the weather or the condition of the trails. A bad fall is far more likely to threaten your life. An ankle sprain on a mountain in the winter can be deadly. Check the weather, have layers, get a lightweight pack and good boots that fit, and get a pair of hiking poles (seriously, you may think you look like dork, but they can save your life and you allow you to move faster with confidence). Most of the extra stuff that I carry is related to first aid, staying warm/dry, and improvising shelter if I (or someone else) gets hurt or has to spend the night on the mountain.
Great post, but are you going to tell us how you do that?

What I mean is that this was @Love Machine's original question (bold mine):
I'm at a point now where I'm ready for a man purse. I'd like to carry a full size .45 while in hiking, in case of bears. What's a comfortable holster that would still not attract too much attention from other hikers, but be comfortable on long treks? Small of back? Fanny pack? Should I get the cross-shoulder manpurse?

Last edited:
Sling packs give me back and shoulder pain just thinking about them.
When I started hiking, I carried lots of shit that I didn't need and didn't know what I did need. Also the clothes and gear I chose were vastly different from the ones that use now.
Every environment is going to be a bit different and the Northeast is especially difficult to plan for because the weather can change drastically from day to day and season to season.
I assume that the OP is talking about hiking in the northeast because he hasn't stated otherwise.
My primary concerns with gear selection are comfort and efficacy.
Hiking is giant exercise in repetitive stress and physical sustainability.
Little things that are a bit uncomfortable will become painful with time. A little chafing will become an abrasion, a bruise, a blister or a cut in 5-20 miles. A pack that doesn't fit right or is packed improperly can lead to back/shoulder pain and injury overtime. Most of this is irrelevant if you only go for a couple short hikes a year, but becomes critical if you are doing longer hikes with more significant elevations regularly (esp. backpacking or successive days).

Hiking poles are amazing.
Not only for shelters and beating people with them.
But also when going down a very rocky hill or large boulders.

Great post, but are you going to tell us how you do that?

What I mean is that this was @Love Machine's original question (bold mine):
I already did…
What kind of hiking are you planning on doing (distances/elevation/season) and where?
I hike a lot in the white mountains (500-800 mi per year) and carrying a full size pistol is impractical. I carry bear spray in a bottle holder (4 legged animals) and a tiny S&W M360 in one of my waist pouches (2 legged animals).
Anything more than that in NE is probably larping.
My backpack belt pouches. I use a kydex trigger guard that lets me pocket carry if I put down my pack or leave it somewhere. I’ll post a picture tomorrow.

I already did…

My backpack belt pouches. I use a kydex trigger guard that lets me pocket carry if I put down my pack or leave it somewhere. I’ll post a picture tomorrow.
Whoops missed that!

Sometimes I read the responses and don't always look at the authors.

Thanks for contributing!

Back
Top Bottom