• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holsters for Revolvers

peterk123

NES Member
Hey all. Trying hard to post some gun related threads, since this is northeastshooters.

So I am reaching out for your help. I would like to get a leather holster for my 686-6 performance center 357 that has a 5 inch barrel. I would also like to get one for my Ruger GP100 22lr that has a 5.5 inch barrel. The guns will be carried in the backcountry. The 22 will be for days when I am in the grassy hills. It will be used to take care of any rattlers we eventually will encounter. The 357 will be bear protection. Basically backup for the bear spray.

I have my sights set on this gentlemen's work. He is local and does some nice work. I am leaning toward the Brazos for both, but my experience with leather holsters is, well zero. Figured you guys would have some thoughts and maybe liked the look of some of the other options better for the guns I own. I will also be matching them with belts from him. Thx Pete

Holsters

Hey all. Trying hard to post some gun related threads, since this is northeastshooters.
You're doing G-d's work.
So I am reaching out for your help. I would like to get a leather holster for my 686-6 performance center 357 that has a 5 inch barrel. I would also like to get one for my Ruger GP100 22lr that has a 5.5 inch barrel. The guns will be carried in the backcountry. The 22 will be for days when I am in the grassy hills. It will be used to take care of any rattlers we eventually will encounter. The 357 will be bear protection. Basically backup for the bear spray.
The only leather holder I have is a DeSantis pancake for my Model 28. Other than that, I've got a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. I've been happy enough with both, but from the link below, I don't think this is the style you're looking for.
I have my sights set on this gentlemen's work. He is local and does some nice work. I am leaning toward the Brazos for both, but my experience with leather holsters is, well zero. Figured you guys would have some thoughts and maybe liked the look of some of the other options better for the guns I own. I will also be matching them with belts from him. Thx Pete

Holsters
If you're trying to look like a cowboy, they certainly seem to fit the part. From his description, it's not clear that these will fit a modern DA pattern revolver; have you confirmed with him that he can do that? Though that seems a great way to accidentally have to buy a couple new handguns...

Milt Sparks out of Boise, Idaho makes fantastic leather holsters. I’ve carried my EDC in a VM II IWB for close to ten years and it’s absolutely a work of art! I own several for different pistols. Can only imagine their OWB holsters are of the same high quality as their IWB holsters, especially for a DASA revolver. Check out the website for more info @ miltsparks.com Best of luck!

1644971364357.jpeg

Attachments

• 1644971189531.jpeg
    1644971189531.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 11
If you're trying to look like a cowboy, they certainly seem to fit the part. From his description, it's not clear that these will fit a modern DA pattern revolver; have you confirmed with him that he can do that? Though that seems a great way to accidentally have to buy a couple new handguns...

I will call him before I pull the trigger, but I met him at the gun show in town last week and it sounds like he can do any revolver.

I'm not sure what holster I have for my 6" GP100 but I'm sure that the gun is way too big to comfortably carry. I can post pics of the holster if you're really curious.

I bought a $60 leather holster for my S&W model 66 .357 from Amazon and it was way too big and bulky, so I sent it back. I then ordered one from craftholsters.com for $85 and it’s perfect. It was very tight so it had to be broken in; put the pistol in a ziploc bag then force it into the holster a few times, then get it all the way down and leave overnight — now 100%. Highly recommended.

I bought a $60 leather holster for my S&W model 66 .357 from Amazon and it was way too big and bulky, so I sent it back. I then ordered one from craftholsters.com for $85 and it’s perfect. It was very tight so it had to be broken in; put the pistol in a ziploc bag then force it into the holster a few times, then get it all the way down and leave overnight — now 100%. Highly recommended.
My wife just got one from them for her glock. Absolutely gorgeous. Yup, very tight.

Here are a few other companies that make some nice holsters:

I'm not sure what holster I have for my 6" GP100 but I'm sure that the gun is way too big to comfortably carry. I can post pics of the holster if you're really curious.
I'd be interested in knowing... just for something to shroud the gun while transporting in a backpack or similar..

Just some food for thought.

I do have a number of 6XX's myself, most of which are 4" including a 686. Carrying something like the 686 on my hip on an all day hiking venture wether grassy hill or deep forest would start to let me know it's there. I prefer to shoulder carry for long durations as the weight is on my shoulders vs on my lower back and sides. Much more comfortable over time. I have a Galco vertical shoulder holster system. I prefer the vertical as it's up and out of the way. It's quite accessible when it needs to be. It also keeps the gun a bit more protected from, scraps, bumps, the elements, etc. They make a number of accessories to attach to the weak side along with various strap widths, I use a wide for comfort. You can also use the base system and just buy a different holster and switch them out for a different firearm. Concealment is easy to do by just slipping on a vest or windbreaker if there is a reason for concern.

Holsters
Diamond D,
Have a 686 and they are perfect for walking,snowmobiling, horse, atv etc.

Back
Top Bottom