• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiking holsters

This has been beaten to death, but 45 ACP will do just fine if you put it where it needs to go.
+1

Black bears aren't some indestructible monster. I'd carry a 9mm and be just fine with it if that's all I had.

I bought a G20 15 years ago when I was in Alaska, so that's my dedicated woods gun now.

What kind of hiking are you planning on doing (distances/elevation/season) and where?
I hike a lot in the white mountains (500-800 mi per year) and carrying a full size pistol is impractical. I carry bear spray in a bottle holder (4 legged animals) and a tiny S&W M360 in one of my waist pouches (2 legged animals).
Anything more than that in NE is probably larping.

Backpacking I think I’d go a different setup, but for hiking day trails, P365 with Underwood Xtreme penetrators in a snubby HPG belt pack. I just shift it to my side while walking. Keeps my chest open to receive a breeze and air out. But on a multi-day, I could see it starting to create hot spots on my hips.

9mm?! I’m gonna get killed in the trails!

We’re in the northeast, not Alaska.

1E2E2E4F-B801-4E90-96FF-B02D7B0FDA35.jpeg
* I’ve paired this down slightly and got rid of the spork and swapped the flashlight for a headlamp. I also removed the bear spray holder from the bottom.

Last edited:
Two extra bottles of water weighs like 2.5 lbs, probably about the same as a loaded semi-auto with holster.

Which is more likely to save your life on the trails?
That depends on who is on the trail with you.

A bear attack in New England? lol, that is a dumb excuse to buy a gun. A dude bent on doing wrong when you are physically tired? That is FAR more likely.

A bear attack in New England? lol, that is a dumb excuse to buy a gun. A dude bent on doing wrong when you are physically tired? That is FAR more likely.

In fairness both are pretty unlikely. I think there have only been 2 murders on the Whites? Pretty rare that people get into trouble up there, not really the place where violent morons tend to end up.

In fairness both are pretty unlikely. I think there have only been 2 murders on the Whites? Pretty rare that people get into trouble up there, not really the place where violent morons tend to end up.
I don't expect to be attacked at Hannafords either, but I still put a gun on when I leave the house.

The closest thing to a violent encounter I’ve ever had was some Indian guys blasting music while hiking.

They didn’t say anything, I just really wondered if I could get away with smashing their iphone and not killing anyone

The closest thing to a violent encounter I’ve ever had was some Indian guys blasting music while hiking.

They didn’t say anything, I just really wondered if I could get away with smashing their iphone and not killing anyone

Every time I hike the whites I come across someone playing music. Pretty weird that people do that.

Pretty much the only time I open carry is in the woods. I'm an avid hiker and my house is surrounded by over 900 acres of forest criss crossed by an awesome trail network, so I'm out there a lot.
I open carry in warm weather because I don't want a holster against my bare skin and I don't want to wear two shirts. I usually use a cheap Uncle Mike's or similar hip holster on a nylon belt which is also carrying a knife, multi-tool, and a flashlight.
I hike with a rucksack, so with all the gear on my back and waist the gun is just another tool amongst tools.
As for worrying about bears, I wouldn't. I have bears in my yard all the time, and in 30ish years of hiking I've only had two encounters. Both ended with the bear walking one way while I walked the other way.

I'm here to help. I'm offering a no expenses paid, non inclusive solo overnight backpacking trip here in Montana about 50 miles north of Yellowstone Park. Lots of bears to choose from.

You can lug my 357 seven shooter or my 45-70 lever action around all day plus pack, food, water, tent and all the necessary sleeping gear. You will hike in only three miles but will gain almost 2000 feet. I will give you a two way radio and I will be within a half mile of you all the time.

It will break you of any fear of bears, unless one of the grizzlies gets you first, and will cure you of the need to lug around a heavy gun or anything else for that matter.

It's a great test of will and guaranteed to give you a new appreciation for life.

Seriously though, I just carry bear spray and at times my 9mm. But mostly my 22 revolver comes most often because we can plink anywhere in the woods as long as we are not firing across a hiking trail. This fall I plan to hunt grouse with my 22.

Last edited:
I've never found anything ideal. Tried the fanny pack. That pulls your pants down (no obvious jokes here folks). Tried the Hill People chest rigs. They are perhaps the most friendly in terms of access. I have had many comments that I look like I am going skydiving. Chest rigs can make you a little hot in warm weather. They are harder to remove quickly if you want to take them off/set them down. But overall they do work pretty well. They are just a little cumbersome because they are literally in your face more than a backpack or fanny pack. I have tried sling packs. They are also a little warm in summer months. They are easy on/easy off. I find the access a little slower than the chest rig. They are ok. I suspect open carry would be easiest but in some areas you will have to deal with the Karen factor if you run into other folks.

What about the Blacks, though?

/sarc

I might have to actually look into this HPG stuff…

Backpacking I think I’d go a different setup, but for hiking day trails, P365 with Underwood Xtreme penetrators in a snubby HPG belt pack. I just shift it to my side while walking. Keeps my chest open to receive a breeze and air out. But on a multi-day, I could see it starting to create hot spots on my hips.

9mm?! I’m gonna get killed in the trails!

We’re in the northeast, not Alaska.

View attachment 761207
* I’ve paired this down slightly and got rid of the spork and swapped the flashlight for a headlamp. I also removed the bear spray holder from the bottom.
Oh!!! Keep the fleshlight!! And what is “head” light??? Asking for a friend

Wait, what? Never mind… carry on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom