• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is 3x30 in a Trijicon strong enough magnification for a 308 AR Platform

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've been looking for a scope or Trijicon for my 308 AR, a Standard A4 RRA LAR-8. I ran into a local deal for a Trijicon TA33R-9. It's this model:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=559&back_row=2&categoryID=3

It's used, but at a good price. At least what I would consider a good price for a Trijicon. The person selling will let me shoot it on my AR to make sure I'm happy with it and it works properly.

So here's my question. As with most of my rifles, this will be a paper puncher. Mostly from the bench and prone shooting at the range. My max range will be 300-400 yards. But for this kind of money, I'd like to have a scope that can reach out further easily if I ever needed it to. Is a 3x30 ACOG something that will give me this kind of capabilities or should I go for a traditional scope for that. I was looking at the Super Snipers, but have been getting my heart set on a Nightforce. Yeah, I know. I need to save something fierce to afford one of those scopes.

Thanks

I don't have much experience with this stuff but on my 308 build I plan on higher magnification than that.

I have read that 4X is ok for up to 500 yards...but for hitting a full size silhouette. If you wanted something more resolute you're going to have to go higher power. I guess the answer is that it depends on what you're looking to do.

On my build I'll probably get a Bushnell Elite 4200 in either 2.5x10 50mm illuminated reticle or a 4-16x 50mm
50mm because you'd get more light in at higher magnification.

Again, I'm not scope expert and am debating the same thing you are.

Definitely depends on what you want it to do. I have a 4x ACOG on one of my rifles and it is great for shooting at 100-200 yds at steel or man sized targets. For anything more precise I would prefer slightly higher magnification - and especially if I wanted to shoot at long distance (>200yds).

I guess it depends on how good your aim is and how steady you are [wink]

I'm not sure how good of a deal you're getting, Troy, but for that price brand new, you might as well drop that money on a Leupold (and save $$$ if you've got your C&R through MidwayUSA...I saved $250 once on a Leupold through MidwayUSA with my C&R).

I guess it depends on how good your aim is and how steady you are [wink]

I'm not sure how good of a deal you're getting, Troy, but for that price brand new, you might as well drop that money on a Leupold (and save $$$ if you've got your C&R through MidwayUSA...I saved $250 once on a Leupold through MidwayUSA with my C&R).

Um, my aim sucks and I shake like a leaf!!!! [laugh] Seriously though, I'm thinking that if I go with a ACOG, I'll probably stick with a minimum of 4.5 or 5.5 magnification. Only problem, those start in the $1400 range. I think for that money I'd be better off with a scope.

I think that for a scope I'll stick with either a 3-9 or a 4.5-14. I have a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 on my FN Bolt rifle and love it. One of the things I'll have to look at is whether I go with a 40mm or 50mm scope. To keep the profile low on the AR i'm thinking 40mm.

Or, to complicate things more, I may just go with the 10x Super Sniper. Hummmmmm[thinking]

What are you making the gun for? I know you're using it at the range... but what style? Firefight target engagement, sniping, etc? If you want center of mass and a "combat effective" gun an acog is good because you can aquire a target up close as well as at a distance. If you are looking for precision/sniping you need a scope but that will make it useless at close range. I have a 3.5x acog and I like it. I have yet to test it at farther ranges however.

I have a Leupold Mark IV CQ/T scope (circle dot reticle) that is 3x max on my AR. I can make head shots easily on an IPSC target at 200 yds but 300 yds is the practical max range for this scope in my hands. For longer ranges I would need more magnification and a cross hair reticle. Please take my views with a grain of salt as I am a rookie to long range rifle work.

Back
Top Bottom