• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In your experience, what’s the most discrete CCW setup?

I love the idea, reminds me of seventies cop shows
It is not perfect, but it is a location where it is not going to show, nobody is going to bump into you and feel it, it isn't going to print, etc etc etc.

The down side is it is not easily accessible, you are not going to be able to grab it on a moments notice, but you train to find cover, kneel, and retrieve it.

Speed strips in your pocket will give you extra ammo, you need to train on reloading off the strip. It isn't hard.

The down side is it is not easily accessible, you are not going to be able to grab it on a moments notice, but you train to find cover, kneel, and retrieve it.
Yeah but the possible video of the incident would be epic. A fat mustache and bell bottom suit pants would be the cherry on top

Whos more likely to get noticed as probably having a gun, the guy in baggy clothes with cargo pants and a fanny pack, or someone in joggers and a tight jacket?
If you are wearing baggy clothes with cargo pants, you don’t need a fanny pack.

You need a better pocket holster and pants with larger pockets.
No, I don't. I'm happy with 4 o'clock IWB and will stick with that rather than replace my entire wardrobe with limited options of baggy pants and oversized pockets.

No one wears that stuff anymore. Everyone will look at you.

There was a time when people carried their phones like that, but last time I saw anyone do that was around 2010. I remember because I was in the Thomson Reuters building and thought "WTF".
I still work with a couple of guys who do the "sideways-cellphone-clipped to the belt" thing but yeah almost no one does that. Even though I've never seen one of these holster/case things in person, they look large enough that I can certainly imagine people saying "gee what's that thing?", which exactly what you don't want when you're cc-ing.

For people who say that pocket carry prints unreasonably, I would ask a couple of questions.
  • Are you considering that a proper pocket holster will break the outline of the pistol and make it more square like a wallet or a phone?
  • How do you carry your phone, and what does that lump look like?
Pocket carry does often look like an object in the pocket, but if you don't already know it is a pistol, it is indistinguishable from a wallet or a phone. And do you really think anyone pays enough attention to notice that you already have a wallet and phone in other pockets?

There are other practical disadvantages to pocket carry such as poor draw access, needing a very small pistol, running out of total space in your pockets, and needing to find pants with good sized pockets. But obvious printing is usually not too big of an issue. Most people these days carry a phone that really does make a ridiculous looking lump.

I might have to get a pocket holster for a 365. Having 2 phones, keys and a wallet already fills my pockets enough though

I still work with a couple of guys who do the "sideways-cellphone-clipped to the belt" thing but yeah almost no one does that. Even though I've never seen one of these holster/case things in person, they look large enough that I can certainly imagine people saying "gee what's that thing?", which exactly what you don't want when you're cc-ing.
Yeah but if you wear that you risk the becoming your parents guy giving you an intervention

Pocket carry does often look like an object in the pocket, but if you don't already know it is a pistol, it is indistinguishable from a wallet or a phone. And do you really think anyone pays enough attention to notice that you already have a wallet and phone in other pockets?
Exactly. Yes, it looks like something is in your pocket but it’s just a lump, not a gun-shaped lump.
There are other practical disadvantages to pocket carry such as poor draw access, needing a very small pistol, running out of total space in your pockets, and needing to find pants with good sized pockets.
But there is also an advantage. With pocket carry, if you are feeling that something is a bit hinky, you can just put your hand in your pocket and discreetly grab your gun. It just looks to others as though you have your hand in your pocket. As a result, your draw can be quite fast. You can’t discretely put your hand on your gun when you are carrying in a belt holster.

I usually carry in a belt holster, but when it is hot out and I don’t want to wear a cover garment, then I will pocket carry.

No, I don't. I'm happy with 4 o'clock IWB and will stick with that rather than replace my entire wardrobe with limited options of baggy pants and oversized pockets.
You have already replaced your wardrobe with baggier pants to allow for the IWB holster and an untucked cover garment. We all end up dressing around the gun. But you do you — what works for me might not work for you.

The difference between carrying my old P238 in a tuckable IWB holster and my P365x in a tuckable IWB was greater than I expected. I'm not saying it's the most discreet around but I was surprised by the difference.

You have already replaced your wardrobe with baggier pants to allow for the IWB holster and an untucked cover garment. We all end up dressing around the gun. But you do you — what works for me might not work for you.
Nope, PM9 is slim enough that I didn't have to buy baggier pants. I bought a better belt and a holster and went on with my routine as usual.

Nope, PM9 is slim enough that I didn't have to buy baggier pants. I bought a better belt and a holster and went on with my routine as usual.
If you are carrying a PM9 in an IWB holster, why not carry a K9 or P9 instead? It is just as thin, but with a better grip and longer sight radius it is easier to shoot well.

Op tho u need to run a light on your carry gun

Unless you carry a 3 dot night sight gun

Even then id still say lights help

Op tho u need to run a light on your carry gun

Unless you carry a 3 dot night sight gun

Even then id still say lights help
You don’t need to run a light on your gun. I do have one on my Glock 19, but not on my 43x or PM9. I always carry a separate flashlight.

Carrying a weapon-mounted light has advantages and disadvantages. It doesn’t replace a separate flashlight.

When I was teaching, after about an hour, I would ask the class how many guns they thought I was carrying. The highest guess was 4, but nobody could identify all 4.

I had 11, all concealed. Two ankle, two front pocket, two rear pocket, belt strong, belt support, appendix, and two in shirt pockets. After taking them out one at time, I put them back and wore all of them (except for the back pocket guns which made sitting impossible) for the entire rest of the day.

Full-size guns on belt, J-frames and small 9s elsewhere

There are probably a few people on this forum that attended my classes that can attest to it.

If I can conceal carry 9 guns, there is no excuse for anyone to not be able to figure out how to carry one.

Last edited:
You don’t need to run a light on your gun. I do have one on my Glock 19, but not on my 43x or PM9. I always carry a separate flashlight.

Carrying a weapon-mounted light has advantages and disadvantages. It doesn’t replace a separate flashlight.
I think he was funnin'

I agree.

Carry a flashlight too

But if you ever are in the dark a light silouettes your sights visably

Back
Top Bottom