• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s with all the hype here for the Glock 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only there was a location here in MA where there were a collection of over 50 FFLs that follow the actual law instead of what Maura would hope FFLs follow.

Wait, did I just snitch? Am I getting stitches now? Ouchie!

And yet, here we are. 2 pages deep, still ZERO shops named. If they're so prevalent, and so easy to come by, and the shop selling them are only following the law, why is everybody here wetting themselves in fear over not naming even one? What are you afraid of?

And yet, here we are. 2 pages deep, still ZERO shops named. If they're so prevalent, and so easy to come by, and the shop selling them are only following the law, why is everybody here wetting themselves in fear over not naming even one? What are you afraid of?
You are arguing semantics.

You are correct. You can't just walk into any old store and buy a Glock.

He is correct. With a bit of investigation and a bit of creativity it is easy to lawfully own a Glock at a reasonable price.

One thing that nobody's really mentioned is if you own a home or have a lease on a home in NH, ME, or VT, you can lawfully purchase a Glock at any gun store.
Some stores may not want to participate, but it is legal and most stores will do it.

The key is in how the ATF defines a resident. They explicitly mention having a weekend home when they state that a person who makes a home in multiple states is a resident of that state while they are there.

You are arguing semantics.

You are correct. You can't just walk into any old store and buy a Glock.

He is correct. With a bit of investigation and a bit of creativity it is easy to lawfully own a Glock at a reasonable price.

One thing that nobody's really mentioned is if you own a home or have a lease on a home in NH, ME, or VT, you can lawfully purchase a Glock at any gun store.
Some stores may not want to participate, but it is legal and most stores will do it.

The key is in how the ATF defines a resident. They explicitly mention having a weekend home when they state that a person who makes a home in multiple states is a resident of that state while they are there.

Now we are getting somewhere. So now we can circle back to the OP's question. Why are they so popular. Why are they fetching a "pretty penny" in the classifieds. And now you have your answer..... because you can't just walk into a store and buy them. The scarcity of the resource is what makes said resource expensive.

With all the advocates of free markets here, you would think such basic market principles would be well understood. Yet it took 2 pages of mental gymnastics to arrive at a truth we all already knew....

So if there are "lots", then name one. I've been into 4 different LGS in the last year or so. I never, not once, saw a new Glock that wasn't marked LE sales only.

You guys beating around the bush like this and you're obvious reluctance to name even one Shop is making my point. I'm asking you to stop arguing with yourself and name a shop. Else your only making my point, and talking in circles and doing mental gymnastics while you make it.

What is your point other than being obnoxious because you're incapable of being anything other than an angry blockhead? Lol while posting this I literally scrolled past an MA dealer ad for a new glock. 🤣 nobody here is going to spoon feed you.

Shit at one time the f***ing /gun parlor/ would even sell them OTC, intact. 🤣 like literally on a shelf. so yes, back not long ago, you could walk into a store. There are shops now that if you bother to actually pay attention you could walk into with cash and legally buy a Glock. But somebody like you is not going to be happy until you can do it at Deli ticket Emporium and have the towel attendant man like wash your hands or something. 🤣

Now we are getting somewhere. So now we can circle back to the OP's question. Why are they so popular. Why are they fetching a "pretty penny" in the classifieds. And now you have your answer..... because you can't just walk into a store and buy them. The scarcity of the resource is what makes said resource expensive.

With all the advocates of free markets here, you would think such basic market principles would be well understood. Yet it took 2 pages of mental gymnastics to arrive at a truth we all already knew....
Are they actually fetching a pretty penny, or is a pretty penny being asked over and over?

They are only a pretty penny to those who don't have FFL's who care about supporting the 2A and their fellow 2A supporters. I had 5 quotes for 550+ for a G44 out of Littleton till someone told me it would be 400. Now I only do business with him. If someone else wants to pay a 50% or more markup, more power to them. I'd rather deal with "my guy".

Are they actually fetching a pretty penny, or is a pretty penny being asked over and over?

This. MA FFL Lightbulb Mafia. Call it price fixing. "NEW IN BOX G17 Gen 5, Transfer at my "local" FFL in Littleton, It's cool I went green, but I'm secretly a dealer but don't want to pay, but I want you to."

Don't get me wrong - its their FFL, their business, and they can charge whatever they want. But I'm gonna make fun of them the same way I make fun of Ford for adding 40k to a F-250 sticker with 0 added value.

While you're busy arguing semantics, I'm busy buying Glocks at perfectly reasonable prices. For crying out loud, even the Boston Globe has told you where to buy new Glocks!

So full disclosure, I own a G19 and it’s a decent handgun. But I’m not getting all the hype here for it. What am I missing?

Just looked. There are 5 of them for sale in the classifieds. Some are demanding a pretty penny for them.
No idea. Always felt like I had a weaker caliber and undergunned with 9mm instead of a Glock 23

No. Just because you do not know what shop to walk into does not mean they don't exist. This is not hard. The Boston Globe has written at least 4 articles calling us out by name. This is not hard. Do a small amount of work...

My room at the mill has 100s and 100s of glocks go out the door annually (in two pieces, from two different dealers in the room)

No. Just because you do not know what shop to walk into does not mean they don't exist. This is not hard. The Boston Globe has written at least 4 articles calling us out by name. This is not hard. Do a small amount of work...

My room at the mill has 100s and 100s of glocks go out the door annually (in two pieces, from two different dealers in the room)

“But it’s not vacuum sealed from the factory!” - PrebanMan… probably

If you cant pick up a factory glock (or any pistol for that matter) and put the majority of the rounds where you intend them to go but somehow expect me to believe that you'll do so astronomically better with something else, im gonna wonder.
If you can't drive a tractor trailer well, should I assume you can not drive?
If you own a Jet Ski, should you be able to Captain an Air Craft Carrier?

Yes, I can shoot. I don't claim to be a great shooter but I can shoot, but I respectfully submit that shooting an old Webley takes a lot more effort than a CZ Shadow 2.
I can shoot a Glock, but why would I want to when there are so many better options.

They are like Toyota Camrys. Soulless and run forever.
Absolutely. Which is why they make such great "tool" firearms.

But pimping out a Glock is like polishing a turd. I cringe at people paying $2500 for tarted up Taran Tactical Glock that is no better functionally for its intended role than a stock gun.

In fact it may be inferior.

Case in point: I have a G34 that I've done a little bit of work to in an effort to make it a better race gun. It's primarily a good polish of all the fire control parts, reduced power striker safety plunger spring and a much reduced power striker spring. (stock is 5.5 lbs, I run a 3 lb spring)

I've also installed a KKM barrel in it. The KKM barrel made a noticeable improvement in accuracy. HOWEVER. The chamber is much much tighter. Marginal reloads of mine that will "plonk" right into a stock chamber will hang up in the KKKM.

So which is better? That's easy. The KKM is better if you are building a race gun and will be chamber checking every round that you use in competition. The stock barrel is clearly superior if this is a gun that you will count on with your life. It's accurate enough and much more forgiving of out of spec ammunition.

93d821efd721835df8b902ebe8e48c5a.jpg

or maybe a Mete SFX. or..... 2011 with an 8". I'm a minimum 6" guy
own one, they are super goofy and I love it.

So I'll throw my 2c in with my experience with a few of my Glocks. I bought a g419 around 2015. While it wasn't a dumpster fire it definitely had its issues. Weird feed and ejection issues, unreliable with 10rnd mags. I bought a G4 17 around 2017 and its run extremely well and definitely one of my favorites. About 2yrs ago I sent in the G4 19 back to Glock to get refurbed after letting it sit in the healing safe for a couple of years. The only things that came back original was the frame,slide,and barrel. While the trigger is a touch heavy that gun just runs like nobody's business. While I like and shoot my G5 19 well, I gotta say for whatever reason I like that G4 19 best.

Absolutely. Which is why they make such great "tool" firearms.

But pimping out a Glock is like polishing a turd. I cringe at people paying $2500 for tarted up Taran Tactical Glock that is no better functionally for its intended role than a stock gun.

In fact it may be inferior.

Case in point: I have a G34 that I've done a little bit of work to in an effort to make it a better race gun. It's primarily a good polish of all the fire control parts, reduced power striker safety plunger spring and a much reduced power striker spring. (stock is 5.5 lbs, I run a 3 lb spring)

I've also installed a KKM barrel in it. The KKM barrel made a noticeable improvement in accuracy. HOWEVER. The chamber is much much tighter. Marginal reloads of mine that will "plonk" right into a stock chamber will hang up in the KKKM.

So which is better? That's easy. The KKM is better if you are building a race gun and will be chamber checking every round that you use in competition. The stock barrel is clearly superior if this is a gun that you will count on with your life. It's accurate enough and much more forgiving of out of spec ammunition.
I’ve none the same basic mods on all my glocks. I regret selling the KKM barrel I had in one of my G19s. Crazy accuracy and I did not have any reliability issues.

I'm not talking about no end run around the system where you buy a frame and then buy all the parts and assemble it yourself.
"then buy all the parts and assemble it yourself" Lol, are you serious?...

No, the complete slide is removed from the frame and you obtain it after you buy said frame.
Then, OMG! You have to put the slide back on!

So I'd guess maybe you've never removed and reinstalled the slide on a Glock... Very intimidating for the uninitiated...
I know, it's super complicated rocket science level shitt involving a sneaky little bar that needs to get pulled down from BOTH SIDES with TWO fingers at once and damn if you don't have to pull the trigger first and relieve a bit of tension from the slide or yer farked!!!
Then to put it back on you need to line up the grooves in the slide with four ambiguous little protuberances and pull it backwards, very tricky!

Glocks, AR's, cars, motorcycles, I could go on the list of things that get modded. I have a list of mods for my Glocks that are for increased shootability like fiber/tritium sights, improved trigger, steel recoil rod, etc, then I have mods that are mostly cosmetic because I don't know any guy who can just leave shit stock...

Glocks are the barbie of the handgun world...
Thats bullshite. Barbie is cute.

I have a Glock 43x. While it is indeed slimmer than a Glock 19, in a free state the 19 has better capacity (15 rounds versus 10 rounds). In addition, I find my 19 to be easier to shoot well than my 19. So in colder weather I carry my 19, not my 43x. YMMV.

I think the P365 xl may outclass the 19, but I don’t have any direct experience with it.
You can get the 15 rounders for the 43x fwiw

It's all preference

Give me the macro any day for size /cap

But a glock has a better trigger

Not from Glock and everything I’ve read us that the 15 round 43x magazines have reliability issues.
Huh i havent looked into them because i dont own one but good to know...i keep eyeing that psa micro dagger but if the mags suck good to know

Not from Glock and everything I’ve read us that the 15 round 43x magazines have reliability issues.
I know a bunch of people who have Shield arms mags and haven't really had any trouble with them. .. the only thing obviously to watch out for is you have to replace the mag catch in the gun otherwise the magazine will chew the shit out of the OEM one because of metal on plastic contact. Me? Mass or not I don't care enough about 5 rounds to make it worth it. I just accept the 43x for what it is. If I feel like I want more on deck I carry a 19 instead. I carried the 19 during all of covid without it being a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom