What’s with all the hype here for the Glock 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a base model pickup.
Not fancy, a little boring, fires up every time, and works for me.

That and the aftermarket support is too good to ignore. Other brands are close, but the use of Glock mags for other platforms are extraordinary
If Canik only made their guns to work with Glock mags.

Not a Glock fan boy. I have one 21sf. And will be going for a 19. Built a few 80%. But I think the Glock 19 along with the AR15. Are the small block Chevy of the gun world. Plain Jane or as blinged out as you want. Always reliable and easy to work on.

The only reason they're popular here is because you can't have them. Or at least you can't go buy them new from a gun shop.

Same reason BMWs are considered exquisite here. You go over to Europe and they're looked at it like Toyota Camrys. They use them for taxi cabs over there, run of the middle cookie cutter stuff...... just like the Glock.

The scarcity is what drives the novelty.

You do realize that many of the common BMWs in Germany have lower build options than you can get here, right? They can be optioned with cheaper engines, cheaper interior materials, fewer features etc.. That’s why there are cab versions and lower priced markets for them.

But they’re still considered nice cars there, which is why American and Japanese cars aren’t as common. If they can get a BMW 3-series for a better price than a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry, why would they go with a Fusion or a Camry?

As for Glocks, no they are not popular here because they’re harder to get new. That may affect (or used to affect) the used price, but not popularity. The availability of preban mags affects the popularity here a bit. But Glocks are still popular around the country. The difference is only marginal here, and it has nothing to do with difficulty of procurement.

The only reason they're popular here is because you can't have them. Or at least you can't go buy them new from a gun shop.

Same reason BMWs are considered exquisite here. You go over to Europe and they're looked at it like Toyota Camrys. They use them for taxi cabs over there, run of the middle cookie cutter stuff...... just like the Glock.

The scarcity is what drives the novelty.
Not sure if serious. I worked at a free state gun shop for the better part of 3 years. Glock is always in the top 3 with guns like the 19, 19x, 43x, and 45 being the top 4 sellers amongst glocks.

The popularity of the 19 (and its bigger and smaller kin) has absolutely nothing to do with mass bullshit..... absolutely nothing... 🤣

It’s like us Toyota guys: most see a boring truck, we see a masterpiece. Simple, reliable, no frills workhorse.

I’ve now gravitated more towards the 19X for tacticool reasons. Probably prints like a horse when I have it IWB but operators gotta operate.

You do realize that many of the common BMWs in Germany have lower build options than you can get here, right? They can be optioned with cheaper engines, cheaper interior materials, fewer features etc.. That’s why there are cab versions and lower priced markets for them.

But they’re still considered nice cars there, which is why American and Japanese cars aren’t as common. If they can get a BMW 3-series for a better price than a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry, why would they go with a Fusion or a Camry?

As for Glocks, no they are not popular here because they’re harder to get new. That may affect (or used to affect) the used price, but not popularity. The availability of preban mags affects the popularity here a bit. But Glocks are still popular around the country. The difference is only marginal here, and it has nothing to do with difficulty of procurement.
Except that they were never harder to get here.... just maybe slightly more expensive but not enough to care about. Even in the days where absolutely everyone went to Deli ticket Emporium, I guarantee you if you talk to Carl, used Glocks were probably still top three in revenue for handgun sales for him, probably only bested by S&W shit guns and now maybe some sig presence. Glocks are measurably harder to get in California and Glock still makes gen3 versions of their guns just to cater to that market because of the compliance bullshit... because they still sell tons of them there.

I want a 1990s Glock 19 to sort of complete my collection of police guns…. Looked on gun broker nope. Super expensive everything Glock is like Nike. I have a 6946 is similar in size to the Glock 19 that was my grandfather’s duty gun. I’ll just stick with that. Unfortunately in Biden’s America it’s super expensive for everything else so my gun buying has gone way down sad 😞

Would you want to buy my Glock 17? I'll throw in a hacksaw so you can make it a 19.

Except that they were never harder to get here.... just maybe slightly more expensive but not enough to care about. …

Can’t agree with that. Sure, old police turn-in pre-98 Glocks were available. But before frame transfers became fairly common, getting a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock was definitely more difficult in Massachusetts.
It’s why they were very regularly and easily going for $700+ on this site. By slightly more expensive, that means 50% more expensive.

Can’t agree with that. Sure, old police turn-in pre-98 Glocks were available. But before frame transfers became fairly common, getting a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock was definitely more difficult in Massachusetts.
It’s why they were very regularly and easily going for $700+ on this site. By slightly more expensive, that means 50% more expensive.
Ultimately still meaningless financially. Still cheaper than the average HK or whatever.

Glock has been top 3 in mass wether the AG likes it or not. 🤣

this is like talking to a blind man about the color of the sunset.

since I have 100 glocks in stock it is very easy for me to try a bunch and see what the range of bad to horrible they are. They all are close.

takeup: long with a little bit of resistance. So not smooth takeup so much as a little fight against more resistance than I would expect or have on other triggers.
wall: no wall. you get to a point where the resistance jumps, but you are still traveling as if through quicksand with an occasional rock under foot (grit)
break: its a surprise and not because you don't know how much pressure it takes to overcome the wall (no wall), but you don't know how far your trip through the quicksand will be

One of the worst things about the trigger happens next. When the slide cycles and the process of reseting the trigger starts, the tigger moves! it starts to move forward like a trip over a poorly maintained dirt road. Your trigger finger gets taken for a rough little ride. No other gun has this "feature" or at least this bad.

Then reset. It is long (far longer than any canik or walther or cz polymer). It is positive in that you know when reset occurs. But now you are pulling again through quicksand...
This is quite possibly the best description of a Glock trigger I have ever seen.
When people ask me why I don't like Glocks, grip angle is the first thing I mention, but I just hate the trigger. I hate the stupid dongle, paperclip, safe action trigger.
Now, I know, that you can change the trigger very easily and there are some good ones available, but that still leaves the grip angle.
Plenty of people have told me that you get used to it and you just have to adjust your grip.

I think Glocks are so popular because they were the first successful polymer, striker fired pistol, and pop culture as well as their reliability made them attractive. Everybody wanted a Glock. Then, after everybody bought Glocks, they realized how awful they were, so dozens of companies sprang up to provide aftermarket parts that were far better than the original.

They are reliable, of that there is no doubt, but there are still plenty of stories out there about Glocks that had issues, and there are plenty of guns out there that are reliable. I have 3 - P series Sigs that have never had a failure in almost 20 years.

Buying new glocks is quite simple in MA. There was always a way.

But a G34 isn't?
I was just messing with you. Honestly I'd be all about a G17L.

It's longer than a g34 [rofl]
Yeah, I was going for something humorous last night and was using that 'too short' bit as a set up, but my the life of me I woke up without a clue as to my original thought process.

So full disclosure, I own a G19 and it’s a decent handgun. But I’m not getting all the hype here for it. What am I missing?

Just looked. There are 5 of them for sale in the classifieds. Some are demanding a pretty penny for them.

You do realize with your claim your inciting WW3.5 with all the Sigettes ? ;)

So full disclosure, I own a G19 and it’s a decent handgun. But I’m not getting all the hype here for it. What am I missing?

Just looked. There are 5 of them for sale in the classifieds. Some are demanding a pretty penny for them.
It ridiculous. It's like putting all kinds of custom parts on a Toyota Corolla and then trying to sell it for $100k. EOD it's still a Corolla

If Canik only made their guns to work with Glock mags.
Unfortunately they are the gold standard everyone tries to accomodate because they've been around so long and there are so many out there.

Problem with them is, they limit how thin a pistol can be because of the plastic coating and everyone wants thinner. Can't do it with Glock mags.

Metal mags are much better as far a making a pistol thinner. Case and point, my Mossy M2C2 carries 15 and is way thinner than a glock 19. (Not to mention half the cost, even with N/S)
Yet has the same basic footprint. Problem is, I'll never see MC2C mags fit my PC9 Carbine, so therefore I'll still own a G17.

Unfortunately they are the gold standard everyone tries to accomodate because they've been around so long and there are so many out there.

Problem with them is, they limit how thin a pistol can be because of the plastic coating and everyone wants thinner. Can't do it with Glock mags.

Metal mags are much better as far a making a pistol thinner. Case and point, my Mossy M2C2 carries 15 and is way thinner than a glock 19. (Not to mention half the cost, even with N/S)
Yet has the same basic footprint. Problem is, I'll never see MC2C mags fit my PC9 Carbine, so therefore I'll still own a G17.
But are Caniks that small?

I feel like if you are going to offer a gun at that price point, with several offerings and with a better trigger, it would be awesome to make it so it can use Glock mags.

From a profits point of view maybe it doesn't make sense, mags are cheap to produce and sometimes cost stupid money for what they are. But could they make up for that with increased handgun sales?

As far as metal vs plastic... well, can't you make the same mag with metal?

Except that they were never harder to get here.... just maybe slightly more expensive but not enough to care about. Even in the days where absolutely everyone went to Deli ticket Emporium, I guarantee you if you talk to Carl, used Glocks were probably still top three in revenue for handgun sales for him, probably only bested by S&W shit guns and now maybe some sig presence. Glocks are measurably harder to get in California and Glock still makes gen3 versions of their guns just to cater to that market because of the compliance bullshit... because they still sell tons of them there.
Ive been a gun owner for 35 years and I've never been to the deli ticket emporium, but there was a reason why he lied about glocks being "illegal" in MA on his website.

Its cause he was making a boat load of money from stupid newbies willing to overpay for a glock.

Last edited:
But are Caniks that small?

I feel like if you are going to offer a gun at that price point, with several offerings and with a better trigger, it would be awesome to make it so it can use Glock mags.

From a profits point of view maybe it doesn't make sense, mags are cheap to produce and sometimes cost stupid money for what they are. But could they make up for that with increased handgun sales?

As far as metal vs plastic... well, can't you make the same mag with metal?
No...Most Caniks and a lot of other pistols are not that thin and could probably easily be retrofitted for a glock mag.

Thin pistols again, using MC2C as an example.......probably couldn't because you'd wreck the integrity of the grip/handle.

When you go into business making glock mags for Canik's let me know, I'll invest. It would be a great idea.

I've got a bunch of Glocks. Got some Sigs, a Colt, a couple of Kimbers, couple of Rugers, couple of S&W's, and some others too, (plus some rifles). The Glocks aren't any "better" than any of the other guns. The machining on the Colt, the Kimbers, all of the revolvers just emphasizes what a piece of tupperware the Glocks are. Most of the other handguns are single-action, and the triggers are so much better than the Glocks that it's almost funny.

But - when I shoot any of the Glocks, whether it's the single stack 43 or the full size framed 31, 17, 34 or 41 - the controls are the same, the grip's the same, the "feel" of the gun from drawing it to managing the recoil is the same. They go bang every time, I don't care if I drop them in the dirt, I don't care if they're scuffed. When I look at my scores for competition, the gun isn't the problem. It's doing everything I need it to do. It's me - I need to be faster moving to the next target.

So, when all's said and done - Glock works for me, because I can focus on what I'm doing, not on the firearm.

As for the G19 specifically - I finally got one, won it in a raffle along with a Sig P320. It's a Gen 5, which means that it has a different grip than all my others, (mostly Gen 4's), and it has an ambi slide lock. It points fine, it works fine - just like every other Glock I have. I added Talon Wrap to the grip as I've done on most and left it along other than that. It's small enough to carry concealed easily, (as opposed to my 17/34/31/41), but has a double stack mag with standard capacity of 15.

I've got a bunch of Glocks. Got some Sigs, a Colt, a couple of Kimbers, couple of Rugers, couple of S&W's, and some others too, (plus some rifles). The Glocks aren't any "better" than any of the other guns. The machining on the Colt, the Kimbers, all of the revolvers just emphasizes what a piece of tupperware the Glocks are. Most of the other handguns are single-action, and the triggers are so much better than the Glocks that it's almost funny.

But - when I shoot any of the Glocks, whether it's the single stack 43 or the full size framed 31, 17, 34 or 41 - the controls are the same, the grip's the same, the "feel" of the gun from drawing it to managing the recoil is the same. They go bang every time, I don't care if I drop them in the dirt, I don't care if they're scuffed. When I look at my scores for competition, the gun isn't the problem. It's doing everything I need it to do. It's me - I need to be faster moving to the next target.

So, when all's said and done - Glock works for me, because I can focus on what I'm doing, not on the firearm.

As for the G19 specifically - I finally got one, won it in a raffle along with a Sig P320. It's a Gen 5, which means that it has a different grip than all my others, (mostly Gen 4's), and it has an ambi slide lock. It points fine, it works fine - just like every other Glock I have. I added Talon Wrap to the grip as I've done on most and left it along other than that. It's small enough to carry concealed easily, (as opposed to my 17/34/31/41), but has a double stack mag with standard capacity of 15.
Just like anything else, if you shoot it enough you'll get used of the trigger and itll be fine. Unless its an M&P 15 pound MA trigger.

Out of the box Caniks and the like have better triggers for sure, but its not like the glock trigger is unshootable once you get to know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom