• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Impossible to buy gun at Bass Pro Shop

So I've been looking for a .22 LR or .17 HMR for coyote (not sure which at this point, not really sure if .17 HMR is considered smaller than .22 LR and therefore legal, and if its enough to do the job with a 20gr bullet).

Anyway, I took a look at some of the rifles that they had at Bass Pro, the guy there was nice and friendly and got me what I wanted to see, no problems there. I found a .22 LR that I liked, he got it for me, and then I asked if I could try trigger.

No.

Seemingly they can't remove the lock off of the rifle in the store. Therefore, you can't try the trigger pull at all... WOW. Ok, so no problem, I get it, safety first (ppffffffff) so I guess the store doesn't want us pulling triggers and scaring the soccer moms. So I ask the guy if I buy the rifle, but I don't like the trigger pull or something, can I bring it back?

No.

Seemingly Bass Pro does not take rifle returns. Supposedly this is to stop guys from buying a rifle, hunting for a few days, and bringing it back.

So, to conclude, no removing the lock and trying trigger, and no returns. Yeah, I don't think so.

So I didn't get the rifle, but I did find one I *think* I like. Probably buy it at Four Seasons. I tried guys, I really did.

This doesn't surprise me at all, sounds like typical box store policy. (BPS is cooler than most, but at the end of it all, it's still a box store. )

-Mike

dick's doesn't take returns either, even if not fired.

they told me to call the FBI about it because "that is who made the rule"

are ya kidding me? it is def. their store policy because the gun had been registered to me.... and they would not be able to sell it as new

but i know the FBI is not telling dick's that's how it has to be done.

i am not a fan of bass pro only because of our experiences with buying guns there has been poor so far... (we have purchased 4 guns and a muzzleloader there)

i like the local gun shops, personally

Seemingly Bass Pro does not take rifle returns. Supposedly this is to stop guys from buying a rifle, hunting for a few days, and bringing it back.

I suspect is has to do with the fact that a paperwork trail has already been created showing the gun is no longer "new". All other items stores sell can be re-wrapped, put on the shelf, and sold as new (some stores even have a shrink wrap machine to help with this). I've learned to always open the box at Home Depot or Lowes since I have, on several occasions, opened an electrical or plumbing fixture to find it's a return with scratches, paint, plumbing putty and missing parts.

Even some small shops do not want you to dry fire the merchandise. Even those that allow it may not want you to do so with a rimfire as that puts undue stress on the firing pin.
It's unfortunate that guns are not like cars or guitars, where serious buyers have an opportunity to test drive before purchasing.

I have dry fired a pistol there last week. My buddy was looking at the $1700 S&W custom shop 1911 and and the man behind the counter let him and I dry fire it. I have also been told 'no' on another occasion. Is is store policy, or does it just depend who is behind he counter?

Even some small shops do not want you to dry fire the merchandise. Even those that allow it may not want you to do so with a rimfire as that puts undue stress on the firing pin.
It's unfortunate that guns are not like cars or guitars, where serious buyers have an opportunity to test drive before purchasing.

Given the variation in trigger pulls even between the same model of most off-the-shelf guns, I can't see buying one without trying the trigger first. If a shop is really concerned that dry-firing is going to hurt the gun, make a one-time investment in a bunch of snap caps.

Hell, I've even bought guns I had no intention of buying because they had great triggers.

I can tell you one thing about buying guns at Bass Pro...as I work there on the side.

One of the reasons that we're not allowed to remove the trigger lock is because of safety. There has been a couple of other stores that had a "discharge." So, because of a few stores, no store is allowed to remove the trigger guard and hand it to a customer. We can take the trigger guard off the pistol/rifle/shotgun, but once off, it's not allowed to go over the counter to the customer.

I'm sorry, I know that it sucks...but because of a few customers that loaded them when handed to them...it's ruined it for everyone.

I can tell you one thing about buying guns at Bass Pro...as I work there on the side.

One of the reasons that we're not allowed to remove the trigger lock is because of safety. There has been a couple of other stores that had a "discharge." So, because of a few stores, no store is allowed to remove the trigger guard and hand it to a customer. We can take the trigger guard off the pistol/rifle/shotgun, but once off, it's not allowed to go over the counter to the customer.

I'm sorry, I know that it sucks...but because of a few customers that loaded them when handed to them...it's ruined it for everyone.

Exactly. While I agree that trigger pull is an important part of purchasing a gun, one also has to understand that liability comes into play. I'm not sure how/why a Dicks employee told you the "FBI" had rules against it - that;s simply not true. I guess consider that number of the employees that work behind the gun counter may have limited-to-no experience with firearms, but a number also do.

I'd love to hear about even a small, neighborhood gun shop that takes returns on guns once they leave the store. They are a rare breed. Dicks/Bass Pro does not take returns on guns for a variety of reasons, but liability would come into play there as well. We will do everything possible to make issues with a gun right - up to and including sending it back to the manufacturer.

Lastly, Dicks Sporting Goods and BassPro are not gun shops. They are gun departments within a larger store. The trade-off for often less personal or spotty service, is a more affordable option in purchasing firearms...I and several of my coworkers do all we can to make the feel of The Lodge as "gun-store-y" as possible, but with the influx of rotating staff, it's not easy to do all the time....

Can't you just use the cap that comes with the gun to dry fire? The models I've seen and bought have a dummy round to prevent damage to the firing pin.

That is of course, that they are upset that the firearm might be damaged during dry firing.

Thanks!

Can't you just use the cap that comes with the gun to dry fire? The models I've seen and bought have a dummy round to prevent damage to the firing pin.

That is of course, that they are upset that the firearm might be damaged during dry firing.

With us, it has nothing to do with dry firing - it has to do with liability. Let's discuss even a remote possibility. A man comes to the gun counter, requests to see a Remington 870. The associate takes the trigger lock off, inspects that the chamber is empty and hands the man the shotgun. The man takes two steps back from the gun counter, loads a round of 00 Buck, actions the shotgun and holds up the store, or worse shoots the associate. Turns out the man was despondent after a nasty divorce, his wife cheated on him, took half of what he owned, got full custody and the new boyfriend is living in his house....As he continues to load rounds into the tube, he shoots everyone in his way while he exits the store to track down his ex-wife...Sound to "other worldly"? - read the papers.

As to the other things like redundant paperwork and LTC checks - again look to liability. If this was Bob's Guns-n-Stuff and a piece of paperwork was overlooked, on the odd chance the ATF checked, Bob would likely receive a slap on the wrist, a warning, guidance, etc. In the case of DSG, our paperwork is scrutinized by the ATF regularly. The suspension, or worse - loss of our FFL would cost the company millions of dollars. A customer bought a Mossberg Combo on Friday night and his drivers license, LTC and physical address he wrote on his paperwork did not match. The associate doing the sale did not catch it and I was busy with another customer, so when I glanced at the new associates paperwork, I missed it as well. The FEC Manager who was going over the paperwork did catch it and we could not continue with the sale. The customer was upset, (even more so when we learned his father is my neighbor and I could vouch for who he is). He had no legal documents in his car to prove his current address and we told him he had to come back the next day with proper documentation if he wanted to purchase the gun. He even went on to say that he had purchased a .22 at another shop last week - it was no use - he left without the gun and we were not sure he'd be back. Saturday, he returned with the deed to his house, a utility bill and his tax bill from Great Barrington. We tossed in a box of Game Loads - he left happy. In reality, it was his responsibility to update both his drivers license and his LTC and it was our responsibility to make sure the rules were followed, (like them or not)....

If anyone in the Pittsfield area wants to buy a gun at Dicks Sporting Goods and wants to have as close to a gun shop experience as you can get in a department store, drop me a PM and I'll give you my schedule. There are at least a few members of this board who will speak to my dedication to customer service and making the Lodge feel a bit less "Big Boxy"...

ya i can see how it could be a huge liability expecially with all the ammo unlocked and on the other side of the counter. You also have to remember that most gun shop employees open carry in the store (discouraging violent behavior and allowing them to immeditely respond to an incedent) while Bass Pro employees do not. Once that unlocked gun crosses the counter out of control of an employee and into an environment with large amounts of unlocked ammunition you have a HUGE liability.

You really shouldn't dry fire a 22... this pin is positioned in such a way that it will hit the edge of the chamber and start marking it up. You could call this negligible but if every customer walking in wanted to pull it a few times you'll have a nice dent in no time. Dummy rounds would be a good solution for storefront testing.

It sounds like DGS and BPS are both run by the TSA.
I have never been asked for a drivers licence in a real gun shop.
Maybe both of these outfits should go back to something that they can handle, like selling sneakers.
All of this BS about trigger locks, liability, and FBI 'rules' is simply lies to deflect criticism of corporate policy.

The big box stores hurt the local gun shops and give absolutely nothing of value in return.
I will take the customer service at a local gun shop every time. Most of the time, my LGS will match of beat the prices on Auction Arms or Gunbroker, ship or receive guns for very nominal prices, special order guns, ammo, or components with just a phone call and no hassles. How much of a discount at the big box stores would cover this kind of service? If I need to send a gun for service or custom work, it goes out the same day, parcel post. The answers to any question that starts out with, "Can you...?" is almost always, "No problem."
Now explain why I would want these guys to go out of business.

Jack

With us, it has nothing to do with dry firing - it has to do with liability. Let's discuss even a remote possibility. A man comes to the gun counter, requests to see a Remington 870. The associate takes the trigger lock off, inspects that the chamber is empty and hands the man the shotgun. The man takes two steps back from the gun counter, loads a round of 00 Buck, actions the shotgun and holds up the store, or worse shoots the associate. Turns out the man was despondent after a nasty divorce, his wife cheated on him, took half of what he owned, got full custody and the new boyfriend is living in his house....As he continues to load rounds into the tube, he shoots everyone in his way while he exits the store to track down his ex-wife...Sound to "other worldly"? - read the papers.

Point taken.

A couple of thoughts MassMark: 1. Given that LTC holders usually have a spotless criminal record, is this a solution in search of a problem?, and 2. Ain't this the same logic that's used by antis for their mandatory handgun waiting periods?

I never have buyers remorse and therefore don't care about returns because I only buy guns I intend to keep.

Personally I won't buy a gun (aside from a rimfire) if I cannot pull the trigger in the store. I've passed up many a gun because of horrid triggers and I'm not about to stop.

That's MY policy.

Unless it is a cheap 22 for plinking I would rather buy from a local gun store. Wayne's in West Boylston lets you test fire any used gun he has as long as you buy the ammo from him.
Lets you know exactly what you are getting vs dry firing.
I would rather buy a used gun I can resell for close to what I paid for it if/when I lose interest in it.
Or want to upgrade...[smile]

Given the variation in trigger pulls even between the same model of most off-the-shelf guns, I can't see buying one without trying the trigger first. If a shop is really concerned that dry-firing is going to hurt the gun, make a one-time investment in a bunch of snap caps.

Hell, I've even bought guns I had no intention of buying because they had great triggers.

Exactly. Trigger makes a huge difference, and it changes from firearm to firearm, I have to feel it and fall in love, especially if I can't return it. You have to give me one or other.

Also, I know that FS may not take returns, but I know Carl would bend over backwards on a trade and the selection would be much greater.

I returned a handgun to a small gunshop after owning it for a month. It was unfired (of course they had to take my word on that), and I did exchange it for another firearm even up, even though the other firearm was a little cheaper. We both, I guess, figured that made it about even.
However, I feel like this was somewhat of an exceptional situation, and they probably don't do that too often... I will say that I was quite indebted to them, as I really ended up getting something I didn't want (a .40) and eventually did get what I wanted, and should have bought, in the first place. (a 1911 .45)
I will remain mute on what shop it was, as they may not want it known that they did this...[thinking]
I know I will shop there again after that great treatment![wink]

ace57

So I've been looking for a .22 LR or .17 HMR for coyote (not sure which at this point, not really sure if .17 HMR is considered smaller than .22 LR and therefore legal, and if its enough to do the job with a 20gr bullet).

OT(?): What distance are you thinking of limiting your shots to?

Maybe both of these outfits should go back to something that they can handle, like selling sneakers.
All of this BS about trigger locks, liability, and FBI 'rules' is simply lies to deflect criticism of corporate policy.

The big box stores hurt the local gun shops and give absolutely nothing of value in return.
I will take the customer service at a local gun shop every time. Most of the time, my LGS will match of beat the prices on Auction Arms or Gunbroker, ship or receive guns for very nominal prices, special order guns, ammo, or components with just a phone call and no hassles. How much of a discount at the big box stores would cover this kind of service? If I need to send a gun for service or custom work, it goes out the same day, parcel post. The answers to any question that starts out with, "Can you...?" is almost always, "No problem."

Jack

Believe it or not, most of us at Bass Pro will tell you the same thing. And also, if you can believe it...if we can't get it...or know where you can...we'll send you there to pick it up.

We've been working with the local gun shops for a long time...and they have been sending people to us when they can't get them something that we can...

It's worked out. You can be against big box stores all you want...but we're not out to put them out of business. Just look at some of our gun prices...some we're pretty good on, some you can get for 50-100 bucks cheaper down the road. How's that putting them out of work???

We'll special order guns for no extra charge...and we've even have people order guns to us from those exact same places, and we just call in the paper work...I can't remember us ever charging the fees... The only thing that we won't do is match prices to local shops, or online. We will match prices with Dicks or Cabela's as long as it's the exact gun...not a special gun made just for that store...which happens a lot.

Oh, and on the rare times that we've had to send a gun out....it's gone out same day, over night...

OT(?): What distance are you thinking of limiting your shots to?

Within a hundred yards I guess, since after that I might as well just throw it at them. Not much I can do, laws say the biggest thing I can use is a .22 lr after sundown, which I think is ridiculous. As a conscientious hunter, I wouldn't shoot at a coyote with anything less than a .223 to be humane, but MA basically tells me I have to use a small underpowered cartridge... So I guess I am going to use it then, and try to aim for head or spine. During the day I can use my bolt action .223, but coyotes of course don't usually seem to walk around in the open during the day...

I think the law limiting cartridge size to to .22 lr is dumb...

Believe it or not, most of us at Bass Pro will tell you the same thing. And also, if you can believe it...if we can't get it...or know where you can...we'll send you there to pick it up.

We've been working with the local gun shops for a long time...and they have been sending people to us when they can't get them something that we can...

Exactly...The local gun shops hate us, but funny enough, I see the owners of Avid among others in our store all the time, (buying stuff no less)...[wink] I send people to local gun shops nearly every shift I work. Avid, Pat's and Pete's all have had sales that came directly from me sending customers to their stores...Pat's will send folks down our way as well - especially those looking for new hunting shotguns. Our special order book is right there for folks to look at - no guessing what the dealer is going to charge as they tick away on the computer. The price you see is the price you pay and in most cases, it's significantly lower than you'd expect...

Still, I like the feel of a small local shop - though there's one around here that has changed drastically and it's hard to even walk through the door...
I think it's funny when people bitch about "Big Box"...Hell, I was one of them. I sported a "Stop Wal-Mart" bumper sticker way back when, but still go there to buy my birdseed and 9mm WWB - guess that makes me a hypocrite. What's even more funny is that folks like Dick Stack get forgotten in the fray of "big box sucks". It seems to be a crime to have the vision to take a small shop and make it grow beyond your wildest dreams. I thought that was capitalism? I would love to see the lodge at the store I work be more like a gun shop, but it never will, (unless they promote me to VP). It will always be a gun department and will always be staffed by a mix of people passing through and could give a shit, people that do, or a combination...Still people continue to shop there - even many who bitch about how much they suck...[hmmm]

Jack

??? Never been asked for a DL? Then how does that info get onto a federal form in the area that asks for ID? Am curious.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom