• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm getting really depressed

TonyD said:
MrsWildweasel said:
We have thought of moving just over the line,but we also have family obligations. Glenn's Mom who lives next door,and his grandmother. Plus we can't sell the house while is grandmother is alive,cause she'll kick our ass even though she is 94. We bought it from her so we could take care of his mom and dad. In over 200 years it has never been outside the family. She wanted it to stay in the family,so as of right now can't do it.

Thanks for the explanation, but what's that got to do with corn? [wink]

She replied to:

You don't have to go as far as Alaska to do that and still be out of the PRM. Just move up here with the "Woodchucks". My son-in-law is an IS help person at the local hospital (several facilities), and makes good money.

Vermont is small move from Mass, compared to Alaska.

MrsWildweasel said:
But you're not blonde! :eek: I really am a blonde,just don't act like the typical stereotype. :D

We had two women that worked here about 14 to 15 years ago, one blonde (normal person), the other a brunette (acted like the "dumb blonde").

So I asked the blonde one day if she bleached her hair and Pam dyed hers. She asked why, and I replied that she was normal, but Pam couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time. Well, Pam became a Lieutenant eventually, she definitely was DUMB enough to be one.

Recipe for confederate camp corn. Soak in a bucket of water all day, husks n' all. Then, build a HUGE fire and git a ton of coals. Place wet corn a top the coals and let em' sit for a piece... That and a steak grilled over open, wood burning flames.....ooooweee! Ya cain't beat it with a stick.

:D

Lynne said:
Recipe for confederate camp corn. Soak in a bucket of water all day, husks n' all. Then, build a HUGE fire and git a ton of coals. Place wet corn a top the coals and let em' sit for a piece... That and a steak grilled over open, wood burning flames.....ooooweee! Ya cain't beat it with a stick.

Yep, got to leave the husk on to lock in the flavor. My way just saves time by not having to soak it all day.

oh it went way down hill first thing this morning. And Tony the picture you posted of yourself in uniform,if I remember correctly you DO Not have blonde hair. [wink] Unless you look like my cocker spaniel. [twisted]

MrsWildweasel said:
oh it went way down hill first thing this morning. And Tony the picture you posted of yourself in uniform,if I remember correctly you DO Not have blonde hair. [wink] Unless you look like my cocker spaniel. [twisted]

The picture I posted of me in my blues, I was wearing a cover and you cannot see my hair (what little there was of it). I believe you are thinking of the picture Derek posted.

TonyD said:
Lynne said:

Yep, got to leave the husk on to lock in the flavor. My way just saves time by not having to soak it all day.

But if you soak it for only an hour in salt water it's just about the same. And all the salt does is make the corn pull in hte water faster. No loss in taste.

It's good, moist, and sweet.

It's the same reason I brine my turkey for thanksgiving. Well, I use more than just salt for that, I have a great turkey brine...but that's another thread.

Not until I get a new smoker. I don't trust doing that on the grill. So, the past two years I've done them in the oven.

But brining the turkey for 24 hours still gives me a turkey thats so juicy it's insane. You'd be hard pressed to dry it out. My in-laws want me to cook the turkey every year now. LOL! That's what I get for cooking for them in the first place.

But my father-in-law is a really good cook as well, but he's a firemans cook. He's a LT on the department. So he's been cooking station food for a long time. So he's really good on the grill and the like. We will cook together all the time.

And like me, we like or food with a kick. So we are always cooking two of the same thing. One hot, one not.

Now for a basic turkey brine I like to start with about a gallon of vegetable and Chicken broth and don't use the low-sodium or no-sodium kind cause you need the salt content. You're even going to add some more. Add a cup of kosher salt followed by about a half a cup of light brown sugar, I use regular brown sugar, and about a tablespoon of whole black pepper corns along with about a half tablespoon each of whole allspice berries and crystallized or candied ginger, same thing.

And soon as the brine comes to a boil, give it a couple of stirs just to make sure everything is dissolved and kill the heat. Let it cool down to room temperature then refrigerate it until it's completely chilled.

Late the night before, add your brine to a large, clean bucket or somethign of that sort. I have a cooler that I use just for brining. Add a gallon of pretty iced water. Since the breast has a tendency to dry out more than dark meat, I like to start with the breast down in the brine first.

I'll do this for about 10-20 hours.

Been doing turkeys in many ways. One thanksgiving, I did 3. One in an oven, one in a smoker, and one was deep fired. Consensus was that that Deep Fry was the way to go. 3.5 minutes a lb, and damn tasty. I built my own fryer long before Cabela's had the kits. But it's a cheap investment. You fry in 100% peanut oil, and amazingly when you pull the bird out, you get a little dripping, but there is almost NO oil in the bird. The act of dropping the turkey in sears the outside and locks all the natural juices in.

Once a year we hold a bug party and roast a pig. I do the pig 'hawaiian' style. Have a pit out in the back property. About sundown on the night before, we burn about 1/3 a cord of wood in the pit. Then wrap the pig in the tradional method of soaked banana leaves (OK, so Burlap and chicken wire isn't 'tradional', but helps hold together the rest of it.) and the set the 'pig package' on the bed of coals and white hot rocks that had been heated in the 'anti-mosquito/marshmallow/hot dog' fire. Cover the whole thing with sand and go to bed about midnight. In the morning ths pile of sand is very warm to the touch - almost to the point of burning hot. I have no idea how much heat it takes to warm up that much sand, but it is amazing. About 2-3pm (just about anytime after noon is OK - nice thing about this type of cooking is you serve when you want) you dig up the pig, open the 'package' and serve. Bones literally fall out of the meat. I usually stick a few chickens into the cavity of the pig for those that don't like pork and inject a half gallon of BBQ sauce into flank for a great flavor.

When I was in the scouts, we used to do a Trash Can Turkey.

Clear the ground to level dirt. We would drive a stake into the ground. Put the turkey on the stick and cover with a metal non-galvanized trash can. Just make sure that the stake is high enought so the turkey isn't touching the ground.

We would then take 20-30 pounds of charcol and light it around the can, and on top.

Let it cook for about and hour and a half, hour fourty five.

Just so you know, some of the troops would put foil on the gound because they will be so moist and tender from this method that it will fall apart on the stake. Some troops would use something to put them in like a large field pot or so.

It's really good.

Yea, I don't use stuffing though.

I take half of an onion and a red apple microwave on high for about 5 minutes in some water. Cooking it ahead opens up the flavors and makes it easier for the turkey to take in. After I a cinnamon stick and let that steep for a minute. Then I put that in the cavity along with a big chunk of rosemary, maybe two, and the same amount of sage

I think get the oven to 500 and cook the bird for a half hour,.

Reduce oven to 350 and put a triangle of foil over the brest and cook until the internal temp of the bird is at 161.

I have a digital thermometer that has a cord that will come out of the oven. The thing is never open the oven until the thing beebs saying that it's at 161 degrees.

Take out, rest the bird for about 30 min under a foil tent.

Carve, eat.

Never, NEVER put the stuffing in the bird, regardless of how you cook it. It's a bacterial thing.

I used to stuff wild goose with apples, oranges and onions. That works!

C-pher, you know your cooking!

I never put stuffing inside the bird. Thanks for the directions. I was just checking Tony.Didn't want you to feel like you lost another day. :)

Back
Top Bottom