• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Me Narrow Down My CCW Choices. Pick Out Your Most Hated.

If this is your first Carry Gun,,, don't get too small. Start with Compact vs Sub Compact. You have to get used to the feel and to realize the responsibility that you have as well. Think about how you will carry. IWB or Appendix carry,,, or other.

Consider a pistol with a Safety to start. You can always sell it later if you don't want it. Or a snub Revolver, .38 or .357. Once you have a bit of experience with what you wear, and your level of activity while carrying, then adjust. Train and practice with one gun at a time. Get good, get confident and then see what else you like.

The Sig 365XL is a great gun, well made and easy to handle. That would be my choice its almost a Compact but is firm in the hand.

Good luck,, stay safe.

All this thread is going to do is bring out the sig fags. Buy a 365, buy a 320. They are so much better than a Glock. It feels so good when I wrap my soft hand around the grip.

Don't forget the CZ snobs either, they will start chiming in. Along with the HK people, telling you to stop being poor, and buy an HK.

Nothing wrong with being a Sig fan. I’ve carried and own a number of the guns on the OPs list and I’ve settled recently with the 365. What’s not to like about a compact single stack 9mm that’s easy to carry? Seems you’re a little biased yourself.

Well... but you're not making any sense.

We all get what you're trying to do. But there's a bottom line to everything, and the bottom line here is that you're simply not going to be able to shoot all of these against each other. You're going to have to accept that narrowing your choices down can't be done with live rounds.

The next best thing? Go to an LGS and fondle some guns. As long as you intend to buy one instead of just wasting the clerk's time, that's the only way you're going to know what fits your hand. And the salespeople will be interested in helping you figure that out.

You claim to have done copious research. Meaning, you understand bore axis and its relationship to recoil. That, plus a modicum of shooting experience with ANY gun, should give you enough awareness to be able to hold a gun in hand and guess how it's going to kick. And if it doesn't? Just sell it and buy a new one. It's not a big deal; you're not marrying this thing.

Ergonomics matter more than recoil, IMO. The gun that feels right and points well is the one you should be carrying. You can learn to cope with the recoil later, through practice.

The bottom line is that despite your "research," you're still relying on others to tell you what you want to hear. Go find out for yourself. And do us all a favor? Don't try this again once it comes time for you to pick a holster.
Jeez. If it's so annoying you could just ignore my thread. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what I want to hear. I'm just trying to learn if any of the guns that are still on my list have something inherently wrong with them for concealed carry. I only point out all the "research" I've been doing because I recognize that I can be a pretty picky and overthinking person. I'm still a beginner, so I need some help. I'm willing to narrow down my list from ergonomics so I can start test firing, but I was hoping for some advise if there's any I can eliminate for other reasons.

Jeez. If it's so annoying you could just ignore my thread. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what I want to hear. I'm just trying to learn if any of the guns that are still on my list have something inherently wrong with them for concealed carry. I only point out all the "research" I've been doing because I recognize that I can be a pretty picky and overthinking person. I'm still a beginner, so I need some help. I'm willing to narrow down my list from ergonomics so I can start test firing, but I was hoping for some advise if there's any I can eliminate for other reasons.

Yeah, but you know how the internet works. It's all opinion.

You'll get many people saying "Walthers are cool!" because they spent money on Walthers and, thus, they have to believe Walthers are great. Then you'll get people saying "Walthers suck!" because grandpa fought the Nazis, and thus nothing German can be any good. Why would you believe anyone else's opinion over the evidence of your own hands and eyes?

There's no more personal decision a man can make than when choosing what gun to carry. We have NO IDEA who you are. Why would we know anything about what you need or don't need?

Every gun you listed works just fine for CC... for some people. Every gun you listed also has flaws... for some people. You've got to make these choices for yourself. Go hold some and point them. I've given you that advice three times now. Come back and excoriate me once you've followed it. Because then, at least we'll have something to talk about instead of just spouting meaningless drivel.

Yeah, but you know how the internet works. It's all opinion.

You'll get many people saying "Walthers are cool!" because they spent money on Walthers and, thus, they have to believe Walthers are great. Then you'll get people saying "Walthers suck!" because grandpa fought the Nazis, and thus nothing German can be any good. Why would you believe anyone else's opinion over the evidence of your own hands and eyes?

There's no more personal decision a man can make than when choosing what gun to carry. We have NO IDEA who you are. Why would we know anything about what you need or don't need?

Every gun you listed works just fine for CC... for some people. Every gun you listed also has flaws... for some people. You've got to make these choices for yourself. Go hold some and point them. I've given you that advice three times now. Come back and excoriate me once you've followed it. Because then, at least we'll have something to talk about instead of just spouting meaningless drivel.
I know. I posted this here and on the CCW reddit as well. As much as I appreciate all input a lot of people just say "I love the Glock 43x" or whatever, like you said it doesn't help me. That's why I asked people to tell me what they hate instead of what they like; aside from the Glock grip angle I think there's a lot to gain from hearing what doesn't work for other people. Sites are a big one (although I could figure that out on my own, just saves me a little time), I've also been tipped off to some possible safety issues with the P320 that I didn't know about. That's the sort of information I was hoping to get from this. A lot of people also like the Glock 48 over the 43x because the extra slide length helps them balance it better in an appendix carry. That's something I hadn't heard or thought of, so I'll have to look into it as well. Point is I am getting some useful information from this despite talking to strangers with their own biases.

Nothing wrong with being a Sig fan. I’ve carried and own a number of the guns on the OPs list and I’ve settled recently with the 365. What’s not to like about a compact single stack 9mm that’s easy to carry? Seems you’re a little biased yourself.
Nothing wrong with being a fan boy of any manufacturer. Well, except high point. But, when someone throws out a laundry list, just go with a glock. If the list is long, they don't know any better anyways. Besides, a glock is probably the least finicky gun out there. So, yes, I guess I am biased when it comes to recommending a glock over something else.

Everyone should have a Glock 19. It doesn't matter if it's the latest 5th gen, the old 3rd gen, or even a Polymer80 build. The Glock 19 is as essential to anyone's safe as an AR15 or AK47.

respectfully, disagree. It all depends on how it the ergos fit. I hate the Glock. It has a different point of aim for me than any other gun. Hence, even though it’s the Toyota Camry of firearms, there is no point to me owning one.

I will concede, however, in the absence of firing a couple of magazines through each gun, @Patton31415 could buy a Glock and convince himself it is the perfect gun for him… until he shoots a CZ, HK, M&P, Sig, Baretta or whatever and figures out he likes that better than a Glock.

Yes Glock is fairly universal these days, but not the best choice… it’s just ‘good enough’ for most people… like an 85% on a math test… not an A, but will do the job for most people.

@Patton31415, personally I really like the ergos on the HK P30 but I hate the DA/SA… the VP9 is nearly as comfortable for me at the P30, so I carry the VP9 in the winter under a sweatshirt or Jacket. For summer carry, I have an M&P Shield Gen1. The Sig P365XL or Shield Plus would probably be better choices these days, but I don’t see the point to replacing what I have just yet because it still does the job I need it to do.

If you’re buying a gun for self-defense or home defense, it’s a tool just like a hammer is, so treat it as such… if you’re buying it to pimp it out and show your college friends your cool new handgun 1) don’t shoot yourself or anyone else, 2) buy a Glock.

/rant

How long did you have to search to find somebody's made-up list that refuted the OP's "free state" assertion?

That list gives ME the same score as MA when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.

Seriously, dude....
What is wrong with a "made-up" list -- someone has to compile such a list (and I'm grateful they did) ?

From my own experience, southern ME (e.g. Portland) is much like southern NH - Liberal ; While the northern parts of ME (e.g. Caribou) is like northern NH, has many gun owners and Conservatives/Libertarians.

It appears you are taking this personally, as if my posting of the "made-up" list screams you're an idiot for living in ME, which was not my intent. Please, for our further edification tell us where that rating is wrong (but I don't really expect that since you live there, you can't be wrong).

Last edited:
I know. I posted this here and on the CCW reddit as well. As much as I appreciate all input a lot of people just say "I love the Glock 43x" or whatever, like you said it doesn't help me. That's why I asked people to tell me what they hate instead of what they like; aside from the Glock grip angle I think there's a lot to gain from hearing what doesn't work for other people. Sites are a big one (although I could figure that out on my own, just saves me a little time), I've also been tipped off to some possible safety issues with the P320 that I didn't know about. That's the sort of information I was hoping to get from this. A lot of people also like the Glock 48 over the 43x because the extra slide length helps them balance it better in an appendix carry. That's something I hadn't heard or thought of, so I'll have to look into it as well. Point is I am getting some useful information from this despite talking to strangers with their own biases.

Don't worry about sights, change them later if you'd like. Grip angle? Practice and it won't matter. I switch between glock, colt, sig, and cz all the time. Usually based on what pants I am wearing. Possible safety issues? Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire the gun. My sig hasn't accidentally gone off yet, and I have had it for two years now.

If this is your first gun, chances are, next year no matter what you buy now, you won't like it as much as day one. Then you'll find yourself buying gun number two.

Asking the internet what gun you should buy is bordering insanity. Too many opinions, too many fan boys for every manufacturer. Just go to a store and finger bang everything they have in stock. Buy what feels good to you.

Last thing, who does a spreadsheet outside of work? Only way I'm doing a spreadsheet, is if I am getting paid to do it at work.

I started off carrying a Springfield Mod2 sc. Now I alternate between a Vp9sk, p229 enhanced elite and S&W 442. The sig p938 was too small for my hand and I hated the feel of the p365. I’ve also hated the grip angle of every Glock I’ve picked up.

Last edited:
When you make your choice, shootability should be number one. If you pick something that's unpleasant to shoot or requires expensive ammo, you won't shoot it enough to be any good with it.

Fair enough, I guess.

I started with 1911s and still love them. Most of why I bond with a specific gun or design is highly subjective.

But you can so easily sell what you buy. It’s almost like renting. I hated Glocks, but I owned one for 12 years; they have their place. Lots of people trust their lives to them. I didn’t get into SIGs either (except the 938) and sold out of those as well.

I carry all sorts of different guns now, with different mechanisms, calibers, and grips. Trial and error really is the surest way to find out.

Start your collection with a nice Smith in Wesson 2 inch snubnose revolver preferably a model 10,19, or 64 make sure it’s over 20 plus years old and in 30 years it’ll still be your favorite pistol . Tm

First gun, a vp9, its kinda the glock of the HK world with the deepest aftermarket for the brand (except the mp5).
Great gun,great grips, satisfactory trigger and reset.

Found a steal of a deal on a full size USP 9mm and traded the vp9 for it and havent looked back

Bought a M18, based off the expirience i shot a friends p320 with. Minor mods to it. Straight sig trigger, wilson grip and go pedal.
Tradeded it, because I got an apx centurion in the same month that had a better trigger with 1 mod. Only downside to the apxx in my eyes is the aftermarket sucks for it in comparision to the p320 and glock world.

if you want to appendix carry and you are slightly unnerved by it, get a hammer fired gun like the usp with a solid holster. The probability of a accidental misfire with a hammer fired gun is essentially zero.

What is wrong with a "made-up" list -- someone has to compile such a list (and I'm grateful they did) ?

From my own experience, southern ME (e.g. Portland) is much like southern NH - Liberal ; While the northern parts of ME (e.g. Caribou) is like northern NH, has many gun owners and Conservatives/Libertarians.

It appears you are taking this personally, as if my posting of the "made-up" list screams you're an idiot for living in ME, which was not my intent. Please, for our further edification tell us where that rating is wrong (but I don't really expect that since you live there, you can't be wrong).
I'd rather not hijack the thread. Start a new one and I'll gladly come in.

OP you're all over the place, full size to compact, why and how are you planning on carrying? There was a time in MA I carried "concealed" but really didn't care if it was noticed, so full size S&W 659, later it was a more discrete Walther PP, now it's either a Sig 232 (because my Walther has become "collectable") or a Sig 365, which has become my favorite small gun, because it hides well in the office. Now, being in NH, I occasionally carry the S&W OWB or in my shoulder rig, but it's different up here.

The point is, you can narrow the choices if you first know why and how you will carry.

Everyone should have a Glock 19. It doesn't matter if it's the latest 5th gen, the old 3rd gen, or even a Polymer80 build. The Glock 19 is as essential to anyone's safe as an AR15 or AK47.
Why not a 17 or a 34?

The Walthers would not be an option for me, as they take a special tool to field strip. Never owned or shot (or even seen IRL for that matter), but it sounds like a PITA to find holsters/spare mags/parts.
The Walther PDP does not need any special tool to field strip. Field stripping is no different than a Glock, Sig…

Get a Glock 19 and move on with life. They are reliable as it gets, sights and holsters and magazines are easy to get, after you learn to shoot, get a smaller pistol like a 43 or a p365.
Don't overthink it.

You’ll get sick of carrying around a Glock 19 real fast. Glock 26 is basically as easy to handle as a 19, can take the same mags and is a piece of cake to conceal with the flush fitting mag.

Back
Top Bottom