Help Me Narrow Down My CCW Choices. Pick Out Your Most Hated.

G45 master race checking in. Only the purest of bloods can handle it’s majestic lines, high capacity, and pedigree. A genetic masterpiece woven from the G17 and G19 bloodline that has produced an heir to the throne only foretold by prophecies whispered in the dark corners of the internet.

G45 master race checking in. Only the purest of bloods can handle it’s majestic lines, high capacity, and pedigree. A genetic masterpiece woven from the G17 and G19 bloodline that has produced an heir to the throne only foretold by prophecies whispered in the dark corners of the internet.

I know this is tongue in cheek but I enjoy my G45 more then most of my pistols. It’s hands down the best Glock I own and beats out a number of classic semi autos in my collection. It just balances and points naturally when I’m shooting it. It’s large but I don’t think that is an issue with the OP.

19 is better and more versatile for a new shooter.
Def not more verisitle since the 26 can be smaller with the flush fitting mag, or use mag extensions and sleeves to have the same size grip size and capacity as a 19..but yes has slightly less recoil if that’s a concern but OP is looking for his CCW. A 19 is a fine gun but for CCW there are better choices. 9/10 people out there are not Concealing a 19 as well as a 26 or some of the other options on his list.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but ME is #48 on this list of free states right before CA and NY.

48. Maine

Pros: Nice views, beautiful landscape, and food trucks. (I’m really trying here.)

Cons: Maine only has medical vaccine exemptions, heavily regulates homeschooling, has a high cost of living, a tyrannical governor, poor second amendment protections, and isn’t an ideal place for someone who wants minimal government intervention and values medical freedoms to live.

Raw Score:
Vaccine exemptions: 1
Homeschooling regulation: 4
Second amendment: 2
Political Ideology: 1
Governor: 1
Covid19 Response: 4
Personal reviews: 2
Cost of living: 2

BTW, I'm a revolver guy so I have no nickles in this quarter WRT a 9mm EDC.

My suggestion would be a .38 snubby for EDC, FWIIW.
Snubby's here too. All the way

If I was forced to choose, it would be a G19 Gen 5 or a G45. Both easily concealable and reliable. Pick something and move on. 6 months from now you’ll now buying another one anyway. Way overthinking this OP.

OP asked for negative feed back on any of the guns on his list. I’ve only owned a few on the list, but of the ones I’ve owned I don’t have anything negative to say other than they just “weren’t my thing” for CCW. I primarily carry my P229 because I shoot it the best out of all my carry handguns. (The handgun I shoot the best is my Ruger New Blackhawk .45 Colt Bisley with a 7.5 in barrel, not really ideal for a small guy's CCW.). That’s not to say I dislike my HP VP9SK or the FN 509 or the Walter PPS, it’s just I feel most comfortable with the P229. If you’ve done the research as you claim, you would have found out if any of the guns on your list had any major issues. (As far as I know they don't.) Anything else will be a matter of personal taste and your view of what someone else considers a non-starter might be completely different.

At this point I agree with all the folks who have said it is up to you to go out and at least handle, if not shoot, the guns on your short list to see which one(s) you are most comfortable with. That being said, in your travels you may find a gun that isn’t on your list that just “fits” for you and that’s the one you should get (until you find another that “fits” even better, I think very few of us still carry the same make/model of gun we started out with).

I know this is tongue in cheek but I enjoy my G45 more then most of my pistols. It’s hands down the best Glock I own and beats out a number of classic semi autos in my collection. It just balances and points naturally when I’m shooting it. It’s large but I don’t think that is an issue with the OP.
This is basically a G19 slide on a G17 frame, size-wise at least. Whats the benefit of this? (I dont care either way, just curious as to why they bothered to do it)

This is basically a G19 slide on a G17 frame, size-wise at least. Whats the benefit of this? (I dont care either way, just curious as to why they bothered to do it)
Marketing, sales and just because I’d guess. My G45 feels perfect in hand to me, grip, point, weight, all of it has just tweaked it up a notch. The 19 is great, the 17 is great, the combo of both is even better IMO.

It's glock perfection.

I've never cared for glocks. Wifey loves them, I always figured it was because she was Mexican. Worst part, she can out shoot me any day of the week.

Anyways, the 45 feels good in the hand. I don't know if it's the lack of finger grooves, or maybe the angle. Who cares, feels good. Then the added bonus, shoots great. Maybe smaller slide with big grip equals better control? I don't know, but it works well.

Hello,

I'm working on a rather intensive process to decide on my first CCW (I like to do my research.) after narrowing down my spreadsheet of options from over 50 to 22. At this point, I'm trying to get it down a little further so I can really start to test out these guns. Just to clarify, I am absolutely taking the grip and how I shoot it into account; my first choice will be what I shoot best. However, I can't efficiently test this many guns with friends or rental ranges to my satisfaction with the time and ammo budget I have. I've been picking off individual models for a while, but now I am looking for some help to narrow things down.

Basically, what I'm asking for is to tell me what things you absolutely hate about any of the guns (or brands) I have listed. Anything that you've heard or experienced that you think I should take into account before buying. (Or maybe just something you that you think is bad for concealed carry.) Take another opportunity to rant on the internet about your least favorite products; I hope the comment section get's messy. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Here's my list (All 9mm by the way):

Glock 45

Glock 19

Glock 48

Glock 43X

Sig Sauer M18

Sig Sauer P320 XCompact

Sig Sauer P365 XL

CZ P-07

CZ P-10

FN 509

FN FNX-9

Beretta APX & APX Compact

Steyr C9-A2 MF

Walther PDP Compact

Walther PPQ M2

Walther CCP M2

S&W M&P M2.0 Compact & Subcompact

H&K VP9

H&K P30

H&K USP Compact

For the free state of Maine by the way. (Edit: Okay, for the more-free-than-Massachusetts state of Maine.)
Buy a Glock 19 and then buy any of these for your second.

trust me your life will be much easier that way.

Def not more verisitle since the b26 can be smaller with the flush fitting mag, or use mag extensions and sleeves to have the same size grip size and capacity as a 19..but yes has slightly less recoil if that’s a concern but OP is looking for his CCW. A 19 is a fine gun but for CCW there are better choices. 9/10 people out there are not Concealing a 19 as well as a 26 or some of the other options on his list.
I carry a g19, often a g19 mos with holosun and a tlr7. NSR holster and a good belt is all it takes. I see way too many new shooters in classes amd at the range constantly sweep their hands and fingers with sub compact pistols to recommend one to a new shooter.

Last edited:
hence you can't put a mag from a 19 in a 17 but you can the other way around which makes the 19 more versatile
because the 19 can take the larger mags but the 17 or 34 cannot?

All G19 mags fit in 34s and 17s. Here is my 34 with the 19rd G19x mag in it.

Attachments

• 20211031_181941.jpg
    20211031_181941.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 10
I love glocks. Although, I get it that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

unless you really want a manual thumb safety I would always recommend people have a Glock.

they aren’t the most precise trigger or sights but it’s nice to know it can take a beating.

Back
Top Bottom