• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

**Governor Patrick Files New Gun Control Legislation**

I'd wear a shirt, tie, and slacks. But if we are going to be excluding folks based on their attire, count me OUT. Gunowners come from all walks of life, and let their appearance represent that. Were better off if we are viewed as men and women of every aspect of society. We're your doctors, lawyers, janitors, construction workers, engineers, soldiers, hill billys and uptown bettys.

I fully understand and appreciate that, but what would happen is the local TV station or newspaper would find THE ONE GUY who presented to most negative and stereotypical image of what they think we all look like - toothless and trigger-happy rednecks who spend our days dreaming of being able to shoot someone.

I was merely suggesting we don't give them the chance to play that game.

I fully understand and appreciate that, but what would happen is the local TV station or newspaper would find THE ONE GUY who presented to most negative and stereotypical image of what they think we all look like - toothless and trigger-happy rednecks who spend our days dreaming of being able to shoot someone.

I was merely suggesting we don't give them the chance to play that game.

I completely agree with that. I just want to say that I think we should encourage presentability, but I'm also concerned anytime there is in-fighting within the gun owning population. One obvious tactic used by the antis is to divide and conquer. To use one faction of gunowners against the next. Or to even suggest that there are different types of gunowners.

It's hard for the media to focus in on one raggedy-looking, camo-wearing, redneck when he's shoulder to shoulder with a woman in a suit and a guy in business casual dress. I think that we're already summed up as the camo wearing redneck (and maybe I am, when I'm not at work), so to show that there are these types of folks in the gunowning population standing side by side the many many suit-wearing gunowners, could be a pretty good thing. So in essence, encouraging presentability, but not attacking anyone either for not being in a three-piece suit, might be the route to go.

Whats GOAL doing? Whats GOAL doing? Whats GOAL doing???!!!! What the hell are all of you doing??? Not a damn thing I bet! What a joke.

If you put an organization together and plan to fighting debates with politicians you need lawyers in the frontline with all the right tools to make a difference..other wise we are just a bunch of complainers to them.

other then that a full out raid onto Beacon Hill is the only way i see things happening in our favor.

if people see GOAL actually start nipping at our state reps in person! i bet membership would grow over 1000%

Last edited:
Whats GOAL doing? Whats GOAL doing? Whats GOAL doing???!!!! What the hell are all of you doing??? Not a damn thing I bet! What a joke.

im pretty sure most of us on here work full-time jobs! we dont have time to fight the good fight while at work!

there needs to be a dedicated team after these guys while we are at work during the day

Read post #73 Goal has a post there. This Bill does not even have a number yet. Its a good idea to start sending letters to your Reps now and not at the last minute.

I called GOAL at my lunch seeking guidance (you know, to verify if this was for real, and to see if it has any chance). I don't think they knew about it until I called. They gave me the bill numbers: S938 and H1516.

I then called my state rep and senator and DEMANDED something be done. Fortunately, they are both already on our side and told me so. I reminded them that I knew this, but still wanted to call to thank them and to let them know we are watching and are tired of this, plus I'd rather call to let them know than not call and have them say "nobody called" or "nobody said".

Edit:
1. Thanks for the info, Mrs. Magnum, and nice talking to you.
2. Also, I thought only legislators can propose legislation. Is this something which will be "on behalf of..."?

Last edited:
Who's got a good letter that I could use to build on and send in to my Rep. I am so mad right now that I am not sure I could come up with a polite yet convincing letter of my own.

i agree,..GOAL should be hiring lawyers and be doing 3rd party research on all these statisics that politicians are using to throw us gun owners under the bus! and prove to Deval and company that all these bogus gun laws dont anything besides make it easier for criminals,..and burden the law-abiding citizen.

when i see GOAL getting up in Devals face then they will get my $30, actually then i wouldnt mind giving them $100 or even $200 a year. i just dont see any point in throwing my $$ away if i dont see direct action taken.

Franco, with all due respect, I have to disagree. Political action groups, like GOAL, are trying to influence legislators to vote a certain way. That takes workers, which in turn, takes money. It's not like going to a restaurant, where you eat first and then pay for the meal. You have to pay up front for this "meal."

Do you think that if GOAL had 1 or 2 million paid members that we would have to worry as much about this kind of legislation? Legislators know that when people part with their money to support something that the cause is important to them. They also know that for every paid member there are several more who don't reach into their pocket, but may feel the same way. Therefore, the more paid members, the greater the influence. The lack of paid members is one of the reasons that GOAL takes the "quieter" legislative approach that they do. When you start getting into someone's face, it's best to make sure that you've got the muscle to back it up. Right now, GOAL doesn't have that muscle.

If everyone just waits for the result before they join, we'll get a result...but it won't be the one we want.

Nice avatar, BTW! [grin]

Who's got a good letter that I could use to build on and send in to my Rep. I am so mad right now that I am not sure I could come up with a polite yet convincing letter of my own.

With thanks to Kevin9 and no looking backwards...I put this together without having to reinvent the wheel, & sent it to my rep.

Dear ,

I am writing to you in opposition to a bill that Gov. Patrick recently submitted for consideration, his “An Act to Reduce Firearm Violence”. http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3pre...lease&f=090506_reduce_gun_violence&csid=Agov3 <http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3pressrelease&amp;L=1&amp;L0=Home&amp;sid=Agov3&amp;b=pressrelease&amp;f=090506_reduce_gun_violence&amp;csid=Agov3>

Last year, Gov. Patrick submitted a budget that included various measures that would persecute and punish lawful gun owners. Fortunately, his efforts were unsuccessful, thanks to you and many of your colleagues.

Now the governor has repackaged those previous, and other, failed gun control measures in this new bill. Studies have show time and again that measures like one-gun-a-month restrictions, the elimination of lawful private gun sales, and excessive sentences and punitive legal measures that do not fit the alleged crime actually result in increased violent crime.

One of the measures in the Governors bill prohibits the act of "straw purchasing", which is already illegal. His bill prevents law-abiding, licensed individuals from buying more than one gun a month to stop criminals from doing the same. This is such convoluted logic. Bad guys don't buy guns from stores! Note page 7 of the link to ATF-Massachusetts data: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/trace_data/2007/massachusetts07.pdf <http://www.atf.gov/firearms/trace_data/2007/massachusetts07.pdf> The average "Time to Crime" for guns traced in MA is 12.94 years (national avg. = 10.33). The Governors notion that "straw purchasers" are buying guns to sell to criminals, but waiting nearly 13 years to do so, is ridiculous.

The bill also creates a new crime (10-year felony) for possessing a gun while committing a misdemeanor that involves the use of force. How does that impact the escalating use of force in a conflict? If someone physically assaults me, I'm not going to necessarily pull my firearm, but I could return like force in self defense. Can I then expect to be charged with a felony for throwing a punch in self defense without ever having drawn my legally carried firearm?

Gov. Patrick needs to quit wasting the people's time with failed, ineffectual ideas that only serve to restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens. He should be focusing on practical, common sense actions to address the dreadful economic climate in this state.

I urge you again to oppose Gov. Patrick's attempt to persecute and restrict the rights of lawful gun owners. Please vote against his “An Act to Reduce Firearm Violence” and urge your fellow lawmakers to do likewise.

Thank you.

Agreed. Patrick seems to be doing his best to piss off Therese Murray and Robert DeLeo. That make work in our favor. They might kick this to the curb just to spite Deval -- revenge is the favorite pastime of MA politicians.

I would say that revenge is their second favorite pastime.

The first is spending other people's money. [grin]

[laugh] ... ::snort::
[rofl]
Yeah...Tell your wife to stop being so damn lazy and donate MORE of her time. [laugh2][laugh2][laugh2]

To Mrs. Magnum & the rest of GOAL - thanks for what you do get done.

What a picture of Cadillac in that article:
greene_sjcgants2_met.jpg
buckwheat.jpg

Notes will be sent to state senator and rep.

He even looks dumber than dirt![grin]

I don't understand the whole "gun a month" thing to stop criminal trafficking of firearms. 1. Isn't it already illegal? and 2. Why not limit it to a gun per year? Or a gun per decade? That will stop the flow, right?

This state sucks. Starve it.

With thanks to Kevin9 and no looking backwards...I put this together without having to reinvent the wheel, & sent it to my rep.

Good letter. +2 for you.

A contrast with the other new bill GOAL posted about today really shows that lack of concern for prosecuting real criminals and the drive to criminalize legal gun owners.

Matt

Interesting angle on this new legislation...

There are some that are required to carry a firearm as part of their employment. These include law enforcement, private security and military.

I read through the applicable laws and did not find any exclusion for any of these groups.

So, if a law enforcement official or military type gets into a squirmish while on or off duty and is charged with A&B it would appear they are facing a felony charge. Yet they are required to carry firearms as protection. In a way they are setup for failure.

I'm wondering how that sits with the LE's and military folks among us?

Best,

Rich

Interesting angle on this new legislation...

There are some that are required to carry a firearm as part of their employment. These include law enforcement, private security and military.

I read through the applicable laws and did not find any exclusion for any of these groups.

So, if a law enforcement official or military type gets into a squirmish while on or off duty and is charged with A&B it would appear they are facing a felony charge. Yet they are required to carry firearms as protection. In a way they are setup for failure.

I'm wondering how that sits with the LE's and military folks among us?

Best,

Rich

Ahhh.... but they are of the uber class. They won't be charged.

Thanks for the well-written letter, BBQ. Rep points incoming. Letters sent to Senator and Rep.

Thanks, but I've got to give credit where it's due...I lifted the bulk of it & rearranged it a little bit with some other comments by others. It's a team effort.

This crap has to stop. [frown]

My fingers hurt from typing so many angry letters lately, & it's affecting my groups on the range. Letter sent, & phone calls inbound soon.

Back
Top Bottom