• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

**Governor Patrick Files New Gun Control Legislation**

Someone far wiser than I just pointed out via PM that if this bill were to go through that it's a total game-changer. From private sales to self defense - to shooting machine guns. It essentially neuters your CCW - unless of course you're willing to go to prison for defending yourself with fists, or god forbid mace. Hell, it almost seems to force one to use deadly force in a physical confrontation...

The only breath I can take on this is that Deval is not the messiah on Beacon Hill he would like to be, but if this pos gets traction not only will I be surprised, I'll be f**** gone from this state. In between the lines of this bill is a total and complete stomping into the fire of our 2nd Amendment rights - our rights as free men. We will further still sink into being subjects of the Commonwealth.

How many of you will protest with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the politics behind this bill... is anyone actually co sponsoring it?

When the governor submits a bill, does it go to the house or senate first?

One upside right now is I don't think U-haul is very popular on bacon hill right now, so it remains to be seen
what kind of traction this would get outside of the usual crew of moonbats, eg, linsky, creem, cabral, etc.

-Mike

It hasn't actually been filed yet (hence no bill #) but the Gov's bills always go the house first. I haven't heard of any co-sponsors yet but I'm sure there will be.

As I said in a previous post, I think he's just trying to use the recent court ruling on the dangerousness hearings to build political capital. When running for re-election he can say he tried to support the DA's and make us all safer, blah blah blah

Does anyone know an example of a misdemeanor that involves a use of force? If I mistakenly run a stop sign and cause a car accident, force was involved. Am I now going to jail if I was CCWing during that?

I am with your Brother Mark.

I knew I could count on you...[cheers]

The two of us will look silly screaming on the steps of Beacon Hill without 10,000 or more screaming with us...But something my friend is better than nothing. It's far better than ass-sitting another one bitching on the internet right?

Paul - that's the point. This state want you to be too afraid to act....Makes them sleep better at night knowing we're grazing alongside the sheepies...

Does anyone know an example of a misdemeanor that involves a use of force? If I mistakenly run a stop sign and cause a car accident, force was involved. Am I now going to jail if I was CCWing during that?
What such laws due is prevent the defendant who honestly believe in his innocence from mounting a defense, since the stakes are so high (s)he will take almost any plea deal offered - regardless of guilt or innocence. Laws like this are a prosecutor's dream, but have little to do with justice.

Now consider a self-defense scenario where you use your gun or have it on you. In the process you break some random stupid gun law or law against defending yourself. The consequence: end of game for you.
Consider the case where you pepper spray a dog while armed, or draw on a dog who is called off by the owner before you need to shoot. Currently, all the other party (the human, not the dog) has to do to cost you a fortune is say "he threatened me" and you're the defendant. If this law passes, chances are almost everyone would take the "no jail time but a record for life" plea bargain because of the stakes involved, as no reasonable adult believes that innocent people have nothing to fear in a courtroom.

Last edited:
I knew I could count on you...[cheers]

The two of us will look silly screaming on the steps of Beacon Hill without 10,000 or more screaming with us...But something my friend is better than nothing. It's far better than ass-sitting another one bitching on the internet right?

If this bill gets anywhere, it truly is worthy of a march on bacon hill.

Jeeze if it couldn't get any worse, this state needs to change its highway signs from Welcome to Massachusetts to Welcome to ASSachusetts

Want to know the best part? The rumors that Duval was up for consideration for the SCOTUS seat. It'll end up going to a woman in order to add some gender balance, but that he's even mentioned in the discussion pisses me off to no end. And don't even get me started on that pompous piece of garbage Menino.

Also, I can't wait to see the mark-ups on FTF non-compliants if this bill starts to gain momentum.

I already sent a little note to Murray, since I live in Pembroke she's my senator.

She's already familiar with me from when the talk of the gas tax hike was being floated around, I got a personal call to address my complaints.

I can be a pain when need be...

GOAL's Release:

Governor Patrick Files Chapter 180 Part II
May 6, 2009

On Wednesday, May 06, 2009 the Patrick Administration filed “An Act to Reduce Firearm Violence” but can truly only be described as Chapter 180 Part II. The existing persecutorial gun laws in Massachusetts were passed in 1998 (Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998). The result has been an 85% reduction in lawfully licensed gun owners and a drastic INCREASE in gun related crime.

According to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s 2007 ISP Report, gun related deaths and injuries categories have increased in the following manner:

79 % INCREASE in homicide related firearm deaths since 1998.
72 % INCREASE in firearm assault related injuries since 1998.
243 % INCREASE in assault related firearm hospital discharges since 1998.
331 % INCREASE in firearm assault related emergency room visits since 1999 (Category began in ’99).
590 % INCREASE in firearm assault outpatient observations since 2001 (Category began in ’01).

The record of reducing crime via “gun control” is a confirmed failed social experiment within the Commonwealth. With these facts in mind, it is incomprehensible that our Governor would seek to pile twenty-three more sections of more “gun control” legislation on top of the existing disastrous laws.

Perhaps the most egregious part of this bill is the Governor’s proposal to send lawfully licensed citizens to prison for two and half years for legally purchasing two firearms in a one month period! How can any representative of the lawful people of the Commonwealth propose to reduce crime by putting the innocent in prison?

“We need to focus on reforming the State’s gun laws through the Civil Rights and Public Safety Act first and foremost,” said Jim Wallace Executive Director of Gun Owners’ Action League. “We need to give a concerted effort to completely separate, in statute, the lawful possession issues and the criminal enforcement issues. Only by doing that will we be able to ensure the protection of lawful citizens and begin to successfully punish the human criminal element, thus reducing crime.”

GOAL urges all of our members to contact their local legislators and urge them to reject any further “gun control” proposals and ask them to support GOAL’s reform bill H.2259, the Civil Rights and Public Safety Act instead. Real Reform with Real Results.

GOAL’s Civil Rights and Public Safety Act: www.MassGunLawReform.com

Governor’s Legislation: http://www.mass.gov/Agov3/docs/050609GunControlBill.pdf

So this goes to the House first?

Is this the appropriate list of reps that we need to start writing to? http://www.mass.gov/legis/memmenuh.htm

Last time I wrote a letter to my Rep (Pignatelli) he cordially informed me that I wrote to the wrong person, and I should be pounding on Fat Teddy and Kerry's doors instead.

yes, those are the state reps. if you were told to talk to kerry or kennedy then you must have written your state rep about a federal matter.

I'd like to know what misdemeanors you can commit with a firearm. Cause offhand I can't think of any. This smacks of bullshit. They're tossing tighter restrictions under the guise of "tougher on crime" and that one piece truly tips their hand if nothing else did. You can't commit a crime using a firearm that isn't already a felony. Unless they're going to say that now driving unlicensed AND having a firearm on you raises driving without a license to felony status. I can't see how driving without a license requires the use of a gun to commit the crime though, which was what they were saying if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure if anyone had posted this Globe link yet.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/05/gov_patrick_fil.html

Leave your comments. Be polite. Use facts.

In other words, be yourselves.
What a picture of Cadillac in that article:
greene_sjcgants2_met.jpg
buckwheat.jpg

Notes will be sent to state senator and rep.

Flashback to November 2006:

State Senator Jarrett Barrios, a committee co chair, said a registry exists, but it is not enforced and needs vast improvement. Also, no mechanism exists, he said, for monitoring guns "sold off the radar screen, because there's no investigation to make sure people are actually registering there guns ... The issue is there's nobody enforcing the person-to-person sales."

Jarrett, how do you manage to keep a straight face while telling such a flat-out lie? Remind me never to invite you over for poker night.

If you're referring to lawfully-owned guns being sold from one licensed gun owner to another, then you need to wake up and smell the shit that you're shoveling. Every person who buys a gun in this manner, or "off the radar" as you put it, is required, by law, to file paperwork (Form F.A.-10 10/98) with the Commonwealth's Firearms Record Bureau in Chelsea, within 7 days of transfer of the firearm.

This form requires the parties involved with the private sale or transfer of the firearm to provide the state with the following information:

- Seller's full name
- Seller's firearms license number
- Seller's city/town of residence
- Buyer's full name
- Buyer's home address
- Buyer's firearms license number
- Buyer's date of birth
- Buyer's place of birth
- Buyer's race
- Buyer's gender
- Buyer's height
- Buyer's weight
- Buyer's eye color
- Buyer's hair color
- Buyer's employer's name
- Buyer's occupation
- Firearm make
- Firearm type
- Firearm model
- Firearm caliber/guage
- Firearm barrel length
- Firearm surface finish
- Firearm date of transfer

This is what Senator Barrios describes as "no mechanism for monitoring guns 'sold off the radar screen'". Senator Barrios is what I describes as a disingenuous jackass with no respect for the rights of the people of Massachusetts...who happen to disagree with him.

Jarrett, I look forward to the press release from your office this morning correcting this dissemination to the press of blatantly false information on your part.

Yeah...I know.

On the other hand, perhaps he was referring to the fact that no mechanism exists for gangbangers and drug dealers to register their illegal firearms purchases with the Commonwealth.

In which case, of course, he's more of a deluded, ignorant buffoon than he's already proven himself to be on so many an occasion.

Or, as he stated, perhaps what he has a problem with is his claim that "there's nobody enforcing the person-to-person sales."

Again, how many licensed gun owners are involved with illegal inner-city gun sales? Seems to me, if they're not doing their job at the Firearms Record Bureau, then the obvious solution would be to eliminate the seemingly unnecessary office, and pocket the savings. Besides, it's all New Hampshire's fault anyway, right, Mayor Menino?

If you think for one second, that Barrios' forthcoming "solution" here will be anything other than the outlawing of private transfers/sales of firearms between licensed gun owners, then you have not been paying attention. Does anyone think Governor Patrick would hesitate one nanosecond before signing such a bill into law?

In fact, I'll wager Barrios and his empowered citizen-fearing cohorts on Beacon Hill have quite the stack of anti-gun legislation waiting in the wings, ready to drop on Governor Patrick's desk as soon as possible, that won't do diddley-dick to stem the growing problem of inner-city violence in the Commonwealth, but will have quite the measurable impact on the rights of the law-abiding citizenry to purchase and carry guns for the defense of their families and communities.

I'll give them 'til Labor Day to get every single one of them passed and signed into law.

OK, so I was little off with my Labor Day 2007 prediction, but still...

Can someone go to the Globe piece I linked to earlier and leave this comment under a fake name?

Kudos to Governor patrick for having the courage to stand up to the gun lobby!!! If this bill saves one life, I'm certainly OK with making it harder for the gun nuts to buy assault weapons from unlicensed dealers at gun shows!

I want to see if it gets approved before the three comments I left earlier.

The machine gun stuff isn't surprising after the death of the young boy a while back. Frankly I'm shocked it took so long for him to try and do this.

For those of you thinking about leaving MA and coming up here, click the link in my sig to get started.

I hope that this bill goes nowhere though and that some lawsuits start in MA like they are in CA to start to put an end to the tyranny going on there.

Buy my house or send me someone who will. I'll be a conservative NH voter less than 2 months later.

I'm past the point of being polite. Just because we aren't aware that we're under attack doesn't lessen the danger. On the upside, this should clear out the "I don't do anything wrong so I have nothing to worry about from the Police State" crowd. There is only one reason for this legislation and that is to get rid of the remaining firearms owners in this state. F---- the 2A...that's what they've said to you. Now how will you respond?

I'm past the point of being polite. Just because we aren't aware that we're under attack doesn't lessen the danger. On the upside, this should clear out the "I don't do anything wrong so I have nothing to worry about from the Police State" crowd. There is only one reason for this legislation and that is to get rid of the remaining firearms owners in this state. F---- the 2A...that's what they've said to you. Now how will you respond?

+1

Governor Patrick is a SOB

Originally Posted by JoeyB
"This state government can go to hell."

I'll be gone form here within 18 months.

Your lovely Governor has done nothing but give the people of this stat one screwing after the next. Governor Patrick soft on crime, hard on the lawful folks.

smitty

Last edited:
I think it's very likely now that something will be passed given the final provision:
* Requires transmission of court records of involuntary commitments to state central criminal record repository for inclusion in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and otherwise amends state law to comply with federal NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.
* This provision will ensure the Commonwealth does not lose valuable federal grant funding.

If failure to pass this provision means loss of federal funding, it will go through. The only question is how much of the original bill's content will remain intact.

I'd like to see some info on how many guns used in a crime here in MA originated from a straw purchase inside MA. It's so difficult to get a license required to purchase a pistol in this state and involves so much money and BS that it doesn't seem profitable or logical to go about it that way.

yet another reason for the screen name...

Here's the note I sent my rep:
I am writing to you in opposition to a bill that Gov. Patrick has recently submitted for consideration, his “An Act to Reduce Firearm Violence”. If you recall I wrote to you last year in opposition to the budget the governor had submitted that included various measure that would persecute and punish lawful gun owners. You, with many of you colleges, opposed that budget and it went down in flames. Thank you.

Now the governor has repackaged those previous, and other, failed onerous gun control measures in his new bill. Studies have show time and again that measures like one-gun-a-month restrictions, the elimination of lawful private gun sales, and excessive sentences and punitive legal measures that do not fit the alleged crime actually result in increased violent crime. Gov. Patrick needs to quit wasting his and everyone elses's time with old, failed, ineffectual ideas and focus on practical, common sense actions to address the dreadful economic climate in this state.

I urge you again to oppose Gov. Patrick's attempt to persecute and restrict the rights of lawful gun owners. Please vote against his “An Act to Reduce Firearm Violence” and urge your fellow lawmakers to do likewise.

I also notice that you have signed on as co-sponsor for House Bill 2259, GOALs "Act relative to Gun Rights and Public Safety". I strongly commend you for your support of this bill which is in direct opposition to many parts of the governors bill. Please urge your compatriots to support this common-sense legislation that would drastically and positively reform Massachusetts current oppressive, convoluted and antiquated firearms laws..

Thank you.
I expect a positive response

I'd like to see some info on how many guns used in a crime here in MA originated from a straw purchase inside MA.

Ask, and ye shall recieve.
May 06, 2009 - For immediate release:

"Of about 1500 firearms seized and traced in Massachusetts two years ago, more than 1200 came from another state with gun laws more lax than our own," said District Attorney Dan Conley. "But more than 20% of those traced guns came from right here in the Commonwealth, and that means we still have work to do here at home."

I'd like to see some info on how many guns used in a crime here in MA originated from a straw purchase inside MA. It's so difficult to get a license required to purchase a pistol in this state and involves so much money and BS that it doesn't seem profitable or logical to go about it that way.

yet another reason for the screen name...

Read the initial post. The gov's office claims that 20% or so of "illegally possessed" guns come from MA and the other 80% from out of state. What they don't say is whether they are from straw purchases or were stolen. I'm guessing that almost all of that 20% are firearms that were STOLEN from someone who LAWFULLY purchased and stored them.

Just for the sake of argument, lets say that the whole 20% is eliminated via gun control legislation. That means we would still have the other 80% floating around in the hands of criminals with no way of defending ourselves. Brilliant.

By going after lawful gun owners because there is a CHANCE that the gun they buy could end up in the hands of a criminal we wouldn't even be able to put a dent in the number of illegally owned firearms in this state. Did they even realize that their own press release states how misguided this approach is?

"Of about 1500 firearms seized and traced in Massachusetts two years ago, more than 1200 came from another state with gun laws more lax than our own," said District Attorney Dan Conley. "But more than 20% of those traced guns came from right here in the Commonwealth, and that means we still have work to do here at home."

what the hell does this have to do with LEGALLY owned firearms! and to turn around and penilize law-abided guns owners for it is childish! we should call BS on this finding. this is the fuzzy proof they love to misconstrue so that they can shove more unconstitutional laws down our throats. [angry]

HEY DEVAL DONT BE POINTING YOUR FINGER AT US! WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR FUZZY MATH![angry] LAW ABIDING CITIZENS ARE NOT THE SCAPEGOATS FOR YOUR LACK OF BUDGET.!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom