• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

**Governor Patrick Files New Gun Control Legislation**

i've had to switch from boots to a full wetsuit walking through the river of BS that is becoming an ocean in this state.

total insanity.

prosecute criminals instead of criminalizing everyday law-abiding citizens!

Gun Reforms

* Limit gun purchases to one gun a month in order to reduce gun trafficking by “straw purchasers” who purchase firearms for convicted felons or other prohibited buyers.

Deval Patrick and his administration has said that the overwhelming majority of guns used in crimes come from other states. Limiting MA residents, purchasing from MA dealers to one purchase per month will stop the illegal flow of guns from other states?

* Create a new crime (10-year felony) for possessing a gun while committing a misdemeanor that involves the use of force.

It already is a crime to possess a gun without a license, and it is also a crime to possess a gun in the comission of a crime. What kind of "misdemeanor that involves the use of force" are they talking about? If a cop uses a little excessive force on a suspect, is that a 10 year felony?

* Upon motion by the district attorney, the legislation allows defendants charged with possessing, using, or trafficking illegal firearms to be held without bail pending trial. The Supreme Judicial Court ruled on May 4th that current statute does not allow for pre-trial detention for charges involving illegal possession of a firearm. The Governor’s legislation clarifies the current statute, giving prosecutors the tools they need to help end the cycle of violence and retaliation.

So basically telling the SJC to f*ck off

* Change definition of “firearm” to parallel federal law, relieving Commonwealth from proving that gun is operable.

Does this mean it actually has to be a firearm to qualify as one? Or would something that resembles a firearm qualify under this statute? Would a kid running around the neighborhood with an airsoft gun who unintentionally commits a misdemeanor be in for a 10 year felony under this?

Secondary Gun Sales

* Requires individuals who resell their guns to conduct the transaction at a licensed dealer so that the transaction can be entered into the electronic firearms database for better tracking of secondary sales.

So a dealer has to fill out the same paperwork that the buyer and seller would be required to fill out anyway, and the people who don't want their transactions on record get a free pass from this?

Machine Gun Reforms

* Clarifies laws to prohibit anyone other than a person with a machine gun license or a police officer receiving training from handling a machine gun.

It is now illegal for the military to train in MA, unless each and every serviceman/woman has a MA MGL.

* The Secretary of Public Safety and Security will promulgate new regulations to prohibit use of machine guns at gun shows or exhibitions and to narrow definition of “bona fide collector.”

How much narrower can the definition get than it currently is? How are either of these measures going to reduce crime?

Brady Bill Changes

* Requires transmission of court records of involuntary commitments to state central criminal record repository for inclusion in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and otherwise amends state law to comply with federal NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.
* This provision will ensure the Commonwealth does not lose valuable federal grant funding.

I don't know what to say to this one. If implemented properly then ok. Bud weren't we just reading today about how the MA CHSB was improperly updating the system, and how people who shouldn't have been were accessing the records of celebreties and other "high profile" people?

Commented on the page @ Boston.com. We'll see if it gets posted - the guy who wrote the piece is moderating comments. [rolleyes]

Typical. This incompetent, ineffective governer of a state which is so frequently soft on criminals and hard on law abiding citizens decides to pass another law which will further confuse the legal status of actions which would be 100% legal if they occurred a 30 minute drive due north.

The SJC actually got a ruling correct, for once - mere posession of an inanimate object without a license, devoid of any violent intent, does not make someone dangerous. The ruling explicitly allowed for holding a defendant in the case that there IS evidence of intent to commit a crime with said firearm. If the hundreds of existing laws are such that you're unable to hold a dangerous criminal, then EXAMINE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE CURRENT SYSTEM instead of passing yet another feel-good law which will only further confuse lawful citizens. Better yet, since the 80% decrease in lawful gun owners that occurred following the Gun Control Act of '98, why don't we also pass *ALL* of the roughly 100+ additional firearms laws currently submitted and see whether *THOSE* will do anything to decrease crime?

You mean they don't? You mean that they've been proven time and time again to be ineffective at keeping guns from criminals but supremely effective at restricting hunters, battered women, and others that should have access to guns from lawfully obtaining that access?

Then again, what else can you expect from a state which calls a child in posession of spent brass from a Memorial Day parade a criminal?

C.140 § 121:

The following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise have the following meanings: [...] “Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun

C.140 § 129C:

No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card

Further reasons why I am so glad I do not live in MA.

That being said, I'm also not going to leave our neighbors high and dry. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Current law makes it a felony to possess a firearm during the commission of a felony, so you could escape with a minor crime like simple assualt, tresspassing, loitering, resisting arrest, etc.

Just a warning - Even if the other guy wung first, if you're standing after, you are going to be charged with simple assault and if you're carrying, they're going to charge you with the secondary felony.

Last edited:
Further reasons why I am so glad I do not live in MA.

That being said, I'm also not going to leave our neighbors high and dry. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Move to MA? [rofl]

Edit: I'm with Tele Mark as well. Anyone want a nice post & beam home on 2 acres for $235k?.

Last edited:
What a POS!

Seriously, is it really too much to hope that this moron grows a brain!!!

he can take his new proposed laws and stuff them up his butt. If they will fit next to his HEAD.

IF these freaking laws pass, i will start myself and the wife on out of state job hunting. this state can eff off, im done fighting these morons! [angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][jihad]

Last edited:
Speaking of which - where is G.O.A.L. on this one? I'm not seeing anything on the website.
GOAL is probably too busy reading it and figuring out a plan to stroke the members right now. I doubt they will overlook this latest assault.

I got an email today referencing H.1516 and S.938, not sure if they are related, though.

The Governor's bill is entirely separate from those other two. It is not uncommon for multiple bills, with very similar language, to be filed by different people. For example, a bill could be filed with sections A, B, C, and D, but if Section B is much more controversial than the rest, and likely to prevent the bill from passing, another bill could be filed containing only sections A, C, and D. During the committee/hearing phase of the legislative process it is likely that they will get rolled into one big gun control bill.

Also bear in mind that the Governor is simply re-packaging his earlier gun grabbing ideas into a different bill in an attempt to take advantage of the recent court ruling and build himself some political capital. His poll numbers are waaaaayyyy down and he will do anything he can to set himself up for re-election.

If it's not against some law already, we'll make damned sure it is soon enough!

I will not comply anymore. I've reached the end of my rope.

Create a new crime (10-year felony) for possessing a gun while committing a misdemeanor that involves the use of force.

This is the part that seems the most clever / insidious to me. The rest is the usual extreme anti-gun crap. But this 10-year felony business is a real problem for us. Basically, we are now looking at a strategy that converts small / trivial crimes into massive felony crimes just because the "criminal" has a gun on him. So we have two classes of people. Simple criminals, who get very little or no punishment for their crimes, and gun criminals who get massive punishment for the very same crimes.

The impact on law abiding people is clear and intentional: you can carry your gun (for now) but if we catch you doing anything illegal you will go to jail and do serious time (i.e., life ends as you know it). Now consider a self-defense scenario where you use your gun or have it on you. In the process you break some random stupid gun law or law against defending yourself. The consequence: end of game for you.

No kidding, either these guys are geniuses or just lucky, but this one is a real game changer. All along I have been of the view that "cracking down" on "gun crimes" is just a way to create a sub-class of citizens who own or carry guns (and this is why I don't support some of GOAL's efforts of late).

Like others have said, my calendar for leaving Mass needs to speed up.

Grrrrr ........ I feel like a right wing extremist , now.

My anger and scorn for my State Government equals the contempt and loathing I feel for those who voted for our governor.

What about the politics behind this bill... is anyone actually co sponsoring it?

When the governor submits a bill, does it go to the house or senate first?

One upside right now is I don't think U-haul is very popular on bacon hill right now, so it remains to be seen
what kind of traction this would get outside of the usual crew of moonbats, eg, linsky, creem, cabral, etc.

-Mike

I will be doing a photo -op thing with Deval next week. Maybe I'll have a word with him. [smile]

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with making MA safer, reducing crime, etc...blah blah blah. What it's about is making the Devil & Doughboy Administration appear to be doing...something...anything...that the sheeple might construe as "crime fighting".

We're coming up on election time. Devil & Doughboy are lacking in accomplishments. They need to have something to point to that shows how much they "care" about the little people. Remember...it's for the children.

One upside right now is I don't think U-haul is very popular on bacon hill right now, so it remains to be seen

Agreed. Patrick seems to be doing his best to piss off Therese Murray and Robert DeLeo. That make work in our favor. They might kick this to the curb just to spite Deval -- revenge is the favorite pastime of MA politicians.

I have no doubt that GOAL will do their best to fight this. However, what are the chances of the NRA, 2A Foundation or any similar organization coming to MA and fighting on our behalf?

Back
Top Bottom