• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 34 or Hk VP 9 range gun/house gun, which would you prefer?

If I built a product for $10(hk mag if you will) and people were buying them up as fast as I could make them at $55$-$60.The last thing I would do is lower the price....Call me smart, business savvy or a genius I don't care! Lol. HK has never been overly warm to their customer base! and yet they survive by making some of the best small arms in the world.

I think P30/VP9 10 rounds mags are expensive cause the two guns came out in fairly short order and were perhaps more popular than expected, especially the VP9.

HK Pro Shop had a 40% off deal around Black Friday, where I picked up some mags for cheaper than any store, but they had no P30/VP9 mags (they had everything else).

If I built a product for $10(hk mag if you will) and people were buying them up as fast as I could make them at $55$-$60.The last thing I would do is lower the price....Call me smart, business savvy or a genius I don't care! Lol. HK has never been overly warm to their customer base! and yet they survive by Telling everyone they make some of the best small arms in the world.

Fixed it for you

The list of HK's that are in use in military and LE is extensive. I'm not talking just MP5's,90 series rifles or psg1's. I'm amazed by how much hate there is for HK. I Think it all comes down to money. If its to much money or we deem it overpriced...Lets hate it.

The list of HK's that are in use in military and LE is extensive. I'm not talking just MP5's,90 series rifles or psg1's. I'm amazed by how much hate there is for HK. I Think it all comes down to money. If its to much money or we deem it overpriced...Lets hate it.

I hate that I can't buy an MP5.

I hate that I can't afford one of these:

lrp_package_1.jpg

My wife chose the VP9. I like her choice too. Personally, I have the FNS9 and FNS9C.
My wife has the VP and Walther CCP.
The VP9 is extremely popular among range members where we go including on of the instructors.
The slide is super easy to rack. Much easier than the Glock 19. The Glock mag release is fine if you are in perfect health with no joint issues. But we both love the paddle mag releases on the vp9.(My wife has arthritis in her wrists and elbows. Her thumbs are weakened from a few decades of wearing latex lab gloves every day.) And because I am lefty I like that the VP and my FN's are fully ambidextrous is what I look for. Only the CCP and our AR's are not ambidextrous.

The hate isn't so much for HK as it is for the HK fanboys. They are tiresome.

Does HK make decent handguns. Yes. Are they amazing handguns? No.

HK's reputation comes from the MP5. When it came out it was a revolutionary subgun - firing from the closed bolt it had a good trigger and good accuracy (within the limitations of 9mm). And then there was this:

sas-iranian-embassy-seige-007.jpg

The SAS raid on the Iranian embassy. And all the cool kids had to have MP5s.

Other than that, what has HK made that was so awesome? The G3 was a good gun for what it was, but was it any better than a FAL? I don't think so.

The PSG1? Stupidly expensive, overweight and not very accurate for a sniper rifle.

Their handguns? The USP series (fullsize and compact) were decent, but the slides were overly large and the triggers fair at best. The HK MK23? The first crew-served handgun. [thinking] Rumor has it that the special operations guys that were issued it mostly left it in their lockers.

For me, HK always means this:

HKbulletsBackwards.jpg

So what is that people think is so awesome about HK?

Out of all the brands of handguns I've owned (S&W[3], SIG[4], Ruger[1], Glock[3], Kahr[1], HK[2]), HK is the only one that hasn't had one failure to go bang when I pulled the trigger. That's certainly not the be all and end all of deciding on a gun and it's not a valid sample.

Out of all the brands of handguns I've owned (S&W[3], SIG[4], Ruger[1], Glock[3], Kahr[1], HK[2]), HK is the only one that hasn't had one failure to go bang when I pulled the trigger. That's certainly not the be all and end all of deciding on a gun and it's not a valid sample.

I haven't put that many rounds through my USPcs (still have one, sold the other) but they certainly have been reliable when I did shoot them. Same is true for my SIGs. Of the 5 Glocks that I've owned, the only one that I had some issues with was an early 17. When it was new, I had some FTF, but that went away quickly. I've put an order of magnitude more ammo through the Glocks than the HK.

HK'S are fine guns and have proven reliabilty.... I'm not really sure that's in question. I think my biggest gripe with anything HK is (1) their trigger are pure garbage. There is no reason a $800 - $1000+ gun should have as poor of a double action Or single action trigger. (2) Their mags are stupid expensive. If you like me and have at least 8 -10 mags per firearm that's and extra $450+ investment into the firearm. (3) all of the of the ass clowns fan boys that own a HK that have some sort of Navy Seal fetish. Yes, HK'S are you by some very elite special forces.... very elite special forces that have nearly unlimited budgets for ammo and other goodies..... they are special forces, and no matter how hard these people try they are not

And finally,

Dumb ass mag releases, seriously watch the hell does Europe know about firearms anyway... The only pistol that even slightly interests me ( VP9 ) has a silly ambi paddle that requires me to completely retrain myself

Dumb

Last edited:
I haven't put that many rounds through my USPcs (still have one, sold the other) but they certainly have been reliable when I did shoot them. Same is true for my SIGs. Of the 5 Glocks that I've owned, the only one that I had some issues with was an early 17. When it was new, I had some FTF, but that went away quickly. I've put an order of magnitude more ammo through the Glocks than the HK.

I'm not saying I don't trust the other ones (well, a few are range guns). The problems I had were either teething problems, were fixed to my satisfaction or have ammo preferences.

The HKs, on the other hand, haven't had *any* problems. No break in. No ammo preferences. They just make the bullet exit the barrel every single time.

Actually, I'll take that back a bit. The Kahr has behaved exactly as the factory said it would. It was broken in per the manual and has been great since.

S&W, meh.

HK'S are fine guns and have proven reliabilty.... I'm not really sure that's in question. I think my biggest gripe with anything HK is (1) their trigger are pure garbage. There is no reason a $800 - $1000+ gun should have as poor of a double action Or single action trigger. (2) Their mags are stupid expensive. If you like me and have at least 8 -10 mags per firearm that's and extra $450+ investment into the firearm. (3) all of the of the ass clowns fan boys that own a HK that have some sort of Navy Seal fetish. Yes, HK'S are you by some very elite special forces.... very elite special forces that have nearly unlimited budgets for ammo and other goodies..... they are special forces, and no matter how hard these people try they are not

And finally,

Dumb ass mag releases, seriously watch the hell does Europe know about firearms anyway... The only pistol that even slightly interests me ( VP9 ) has a silly ambi paddle that requires me to completely retrain myself

Dumb

I don't disagree with most of that. The DA/SA triggers really do suck. The VP9 trigger is very good compared to most striker fired guns.

I do disagree with the mag release. I think it's a better design overall. However, it's not enough of a better design to overcome everyone's training/muscle memory. If every pistol before HK had the paddle mag release, and someone came along with the 1911 style, everyone would say "WTF is this BS".

Last edited:
HK'S are fine guns and have proven reliabilty.... I'm not really sure that's in question. I think my biggest gripe with anything HK is (1) their trigger are pure garbage. There is no reason a $800 - $1000+ gun should have as poor of a double action Or single action trigger.

Rumor has it that the VP9 has a pretty good trigger. But I agree that the USP trigger is truly garbage.

One of the shooters at the last match was having lots of light strikes with her VP9, which was good because we had to DQ her for pointing the gun up range

Rumor has it that the VP9 has a pretty good trigger. But I agree that the USP trigger is truly garbage.

That's exactly the right description for the VP9 trigger... pretty good. It's better than a stock glock, certainly better than a standard M&P (although not as good as the new performance center M&P ) The Ruger SR series, has slightly less creep and uptake but the VP9 has a lighter break.

Yes, the VP9 has a good trigger out of the box. But NO it is not as good as many people make it out to be

For me, HK always means this:

HKbulletsBackwards.jpg

Loading my HK45c feels like I'm putting the rounds in backwards, especially that 8th round, it's brutal.

I think they look cool, feel cool and well made, kind of like a BMW, before they went soft.

My wife chose the VP9. I like her choice too. Personally, I have the FNS9 and FNS9C.
My wife has the VP and Walther CCP.
The VP9 is extremely popular among range members where we go including on of the instructors.
The slide is super easy to rack. Much easier than the Glock 19. The Glock mag release is fine if you are in perfect health with no joint issues. But we both love the paddle mag releases on the vp9.(My wife has arthritis in her wrists and elbows. Her thumbs are weakened from a few decades of wearing latex lab gloves every day.) And because I am lefty I like that the VP and my FN's are fully ambidextrous is what I look for. Only the CCP and our AR's are not ambidextrous.
How does she like the CCP?

This thread makes me feel like I'm a teenager arguing about ford and Chevy in a parking lot somewhere.

Seriously. All this talk about fanboys has lead me to one conclusion. You glock guys are delusional. [smile]

This thread makes me feel like I'm a teenager arguing about ford and Chevy in a parking lot somewhere.

Seriously. All this talk about fanboys has lead me to one conclusion. You glock guys are delusional. [smile]

No not at all. They are shitty guns that work. I just happen to like them for a variety of reasons.
Do i need to revive the "your gun sucks" thread? [grin]

Oh, come on, for goodness sakes.

All of us who have been criticizing Glocks also own SIGs and own or have owned HKs. We are talking from our personal experience with them. Drgrant once owned a ton of HKs.

And none of us will say that Glocks are perfect. The stock Glock sights suck, the trigger is only meh, and they point high for us 1911 guys. But, in our opinion, they suck less than HKs.

I like glock. Why? Because I look badass when I shooting a Glock using gangstar stance. Glock is the most preference gun for gangstar. You can shot sideway. How about HK? I haven't seen any YouTube video showing anyone shooting HK using gangstar stance. Same as S&W, Sig Sauer, SA or Berreta. I'm a true glock believer.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

The DA/SA USP trigger is garbage.

The LEM trigger is very very nice.

With all the discussion about which is better, you mass folks should remember one thing.

Even if I accept that the VP9 is superior to the G34. Can you accept that the G34 is a decent functionally reliable firearm?

If you do accept that, then the mere availability of legal, standard capacity mags should tip thing in favor of the Glock if you live in MA or CT.

Don

The VP9 trigger is excellent out of the box. Better than stock Glocks, but an $18 Ghost Ultimate 3.5 trigger connector and a shot of Jig-a-loo does wonders for a Glock.

Has the OP considered the Walther PPQ? Very similar to VP9, but more expensive in Mass.

That's a good suggestion. I have both the PPQ M1 and VP9 and like them both. Especially mag release. PPQ is compatible with Magnum Research mags that can be had for $20 on sale. In fact, the MecGar-made mags are the same, just different labeling. Size-wise, PPQ is closer to G19, but VP9 feels like G17, if that makes a difference to Glock fans. Ergonomically, both guns are superior to the respective Glock models out of the box. I am going to take a fire, but I have had a recent experience with all factory warranties-Glocks, Walther, and HK. I consider the last two superior to Glock factory warranty. Without much fanfare, Walther and HK will e-mail you a shipping label to ship BOTH ways and will do what is needed under lifetime warranty. Glock will, too, but you pay for shipping to them. In addition, Walther will sell you ANY part of their currently produced pistols, try to do it with Glock if you are not their certified guy. HK will ship any part under warranty, too. Both have lifetime warranties. I can see taking a lot of flame, but this is true.

Back
Top Bottom