Glock 34 or Hk VP 9 range gun/house gun, which would you prefer?

To the OP. A Glock 17 is also a great choice. Besides the slightly longer barrel, extended slide stop and 3.5 connector of the glock 34 the G17 is a great firearm. The debates here have been good, I have enjoyed reading them. I have both a G17 and VP9 ( recently sold my G34 for the G17). I love them both.

As for mags the HK mags do cost more but deals are out there. I got 3 vp9 mags for 75$ from a fellow NESer. Try both guns if you have to pick one and buy which ever gun feels best. Try the Glock 17, 34 and VP9. Which ever gun you pick in my opinion is a great pistol. Best of luck

The PPq suggestion is cute considering like 5 people will buy them and theres 0 local support now... even an HK makes more sense than that. It's not that walther makes a bad gun but just be aware you're venturing into third tier land... better lay in an extra set of dprings for that fugly gun after you buy.

Something is wrong there. Either hes's putting in 9 rounds or they screwed up the follower design. USP 45c mags (same mag) were never that hard to load. Something is amiss here.

round 6 and 7 are pretty hard to load too. It's my first .45, are they typically harder to load?

Last edited:
The PPq suggestion is cute considering like 5 people will buy them and theres 0 local support now... even an HK makes more sense than that. It's not that walther makes a bad gun but just be aware you're venturing into third tier land... better lay in an extra set of dprings for that fugly gun after you buy.

Every owner seems to rave about it. Mags seem easier and cheaper to find than HKs.

No. I've got a USPc .45. Mags are fine.

Maybe the mags will break in, haven't used it much yet. Much stiffer than any other gun I've tried, but many of those were range guns.

I had a new P30, those mags were fine, though the design seemed to beat up the thumb.

Last edited:
Maybe the mags will break in, haven't used it much yet. Much stiffer than any other gun I've tried, but many of those were range guns.

I had a new P30, those mags were fine, though the design seemed to beat up the thumb.

I haven't shot my USPc much, so I wouldn't count on that.

I bought a vp9 around thanksgiving and love it, I have an hk45 and p30s and love those too so it wasn't much of a jump.

The vp9 I never cleaned off the shipping grease and put about 1200 rounds through it with my wife (she loves it) before taking it down for cleaning.

I like the mag release and ambi controls.

I've shot every glock at mfs and just don't "want" one, they shoot well obviously but just aren't for me.

Last edited:

I wouldn't qualify them as super easy, but nowhere near as hard to load as my G30 mags are. If it feels like its impossible to get in the 8th round, something's not right... or they dicked with the followers somehow, but that's kinda strange, HK usually doesn't mess with things like that.

-Mike

I wouldn't qualify them as super easy, but nowhere near as hard to load as my G30 mags are. If it feels like its impossible to get in the 8th round, something's not right... or they dicked with the followers somehow, but that's kinda strange, HK usually doesn't mess with things like that.

-Mike

Not impossible, just unpleasant. I may not be used to the wide .45 round, I'm used to loading 9mm rounds.

Not impossible, just unpleasant. I may not be used to the wide .45 round, I'm used to loading 9mm rounds.

If it's the only .45 doublestack you have, then this is probably why. All other things being equal, usually a .45 doublestack is a lot harder to load than a 9mm is. There are tricks you can use by using the other thumb to start pushing the round down when you put the new round in, etc, to make it a little easier.... if its still too annoying, get an UpLula for it.

-Mike

If it's the only .45 doublestack you have, then this is probably why. All other things being equal, usually a .45 doublestack is a lot harder to load than a 9mm is. There are tricks you can use by using the other thumb to start pushing the round down when you put the new round in, etc, to make it a little easier.... if its still too annoying, get an UpLula for it.

-Mike

Thanks - yeah, I feel my thumb is shifting on the round - need practice I guess. I know I can use the Uplula but I feel I should be able to load a lot of mags without it, you know, in case SHTF and I don't have my Uplula. :)

All this HK hatred, and I missed out. Damn it. [laugh]

Just curious why you don't care about pre-ban mags, is it cause you think 10 rounds is enough, or you just get tired of the state influencing what you buy?

For me, I hate the idea of a gun designed with fat grip, only holding 10 rounds, and paying more for 10 round mags than standard 15/17 round mags cost. It's the 10 round VP9 mags that are hard to find and expensive, not the free state mags.

Ever stop and think that maybe most people don't care about preban this post ban that.

Ever stop and think that maybe most people don't care about preban this post ban that.

Some people maybe, most people, I doubt that.

And I don't understand it either - suppose you're carrying a Glock with post-ban 17 round mag, and you're forced to use it in an altercation. Now the cops have you shooting someone with felony possession of a post-ban magazine. Seems not smart.

A blog I fairly regularly read has a good looking holster for a hk-vp9, (http://olegvolk.net/blog/2015/02/20/concealment-holster-for-hk-vp9/). I have no idea if it's any good, I've got a G34, but it's nice looking...
Scored a nice custom made OWB for my wofe's VP9. Bought 5 holsters from this guy.
Also got her single a double mag holsters.
AnaHKVP9_CJ_Holsterx.jpg

Some people maybe, most people, I doubt that.

In MA it's probably running at 25+% judging by what I see "on the ground". Not to mention not everyone on this forum is in MA, nor are they purchasing a gun to carry or use in MA, etc. We have a bunch of exempt people here, too. (Whether they're exempt full or not is another story but that's kinda beyond the scope here).

And I don't understand it either - suppose you're carrying a Glock with post-ban 17 round mag, and you're forced to use it in an altercation. Now the cops have you shooting someone with felony possession of a post-ban magazine. Seems not smart.

You're assuming that they will do that, or it will even be an issue. The relative lack of such charges suggests otherwise. Yeah, if I was a lawyer, I would be surely telling my clients "for maximum safety, don't do that" but suggesting that it's even "probable" is going FR, IMO. MA has probably the weakest and least-enforced AWB of any of the anti states in the country, hands down. Part of it is because the law is so poorly written, the other part of it is most elements of it are difficult to prove, among other things. If the AWB here was a hot legal issue you'd see it as part of every other gun
indictment. Now some guy is going to come into this thread and show me I'm wrong, but instead, provide me with a case that has an "LCAFD without a license" charge on it, which has nothing to do
with the AWB. That stuff accounts for about 90% of the stuff mislabeled as a "AWB prosecutions" around here.

-Mike

Last edited:
Re mad "post ban." Another exception is people that move to MA with "high capacity" weapons that were perfectly legal where they bought them.
All my mags are stamped. If I have the misfortune of having to move back north every gun I own would be legal for me to have in MA. And so long as I picked the right town to live in I could get what my brother-in-law calls "the holy grail" unrestricted permit. Do here we just call it a permit. :)
Might have to consider getting a non-resident carry if we make more trips up there. The price is steep. $100/year, but life is worth more than that.

In MA it's probably running at 25+% judging by what I see "on the ground". Not to mention not everyone on this forum is in MA, nor are they purchasing a gun to carry or use in MA, etc. We have a bunch of exempt people here, too. (Whether they're exempt full or not is another story but that's kinda beyond the scope here).

You're assuming that they will do that, or it will even be an issue. The relative lack of such charges suggests otherwise. Yeah, if I was a lawyer, I would be surely telling my clients "for maximum safety, don't do that" but suggesting that it's even "probable" is going FR, IMO. MA has probably the weakest and least-enforced AWB of any of the anti states in the country, hands down. Part of it is because the law is so poorly written, the other part of it is most elements of it are difficult to prove, among other things. If the AWB here was a hot legal issue you'd see it as part of every other gun
indictment. Now some guy is going to come into this thread and show me I'm wrong, but instead, provide me with a case that has an "LCAFD without a license" charge on it, which has nothing to do
with the AWB. That stuff accounts for about 90% of the stuff mislabeled as a "AWB prosecutions" around here.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, that's good to know. Does this include the limits on telescoping stocks and flash suppressors? Those seem particularly hard to enforce since it's so hard to tell, and no one seems to know what's legal for muzzle devices, other than "A2 is illegal".

So it sounds like if you commit other felonies, they might throw on a high-cap magazine possession charge, when they're trying to charge you as much as possible?

Re mad "post ban." Another exception is people that move to MA with "high capacity" weapons that were perfectly legal where they bought them.
All my mags are stamped. If I have the misfortune of having to move back north every gun I own would be legal for me to have in MA. And so long as I picked the right town to live in I could get what my brother-in-law calls "the holy grail" unrestricted permit. Do here we just call it a permit. :)
Might have to consider getting a non-resident carry if we make more trips up there. The price is steep. $100/year, but life is worth more than that.

Post ban High-caps? No, they wouldn't. But I would hope that wouldn't stop you anyways.

Thanks Mike, that's good to know. Does this include the limits on telescoping stocks and flash suppressors? Those seem particularly hard to enforce since it's so hard to tell, and no one seems to know what's legal for muzzle devices, other than "A2 is illegal".

I'm just saying as a generality the number of cases is weak, whether it's a mag or "feature" case. The numbers are so low its not a very large sample size.

So it sounds like if you commit other felonies, they might throw on a high-cap magazine possession charge, when they're trying to charge you as much as possible?

The common thing is LCAFD without a license, when joe gangbanger gets arrested with an old beretta or something. They'll get him with poss without an FID, poss of ammunition, bunch of other crap... LCAFD without a license is also ridiculously easy to prosecute. "Did the guy have a license?" no "Did the guy have it in his possession when (legally) searched? " yes" then - done. Not a hard standard of evidence to meet. AWB on the other hand gets very messy, very fast...

Actual AWB prosecutions are so rare it is very difficult to establish a pattern for them.

-Mike

Last edited:
All my mags are stamped.

No, wrong. Fail. Do what you want, but don't delude yourself by pretending that gives you immunity. It's not in the law. At all.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom