• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 34 or Hk VP 9 range gun/house gun, which would you prefer?

Glocks are ugly, poor ergonomics, most people invest in sights, trigger work, upgraded mag release , etc,etc. Glock is like the Toyota and VP9 us the lexsus for the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can tell you don't own Glocks. In free states Glocks are cheap. Upgrades to Glocks are cheap and easy. Most Glock triggers (aside from the stupid heavy pull ones for commie states) are not that bad for stock guns. But a ghost 3.5 lb trigger bar does absolute wonders, $17 delivered. Extended mag release if you want one is like $10. Glock mags are $25-30 each and almost indestructible. Many people upgrade their pistols to night sites, so that isn't really a valid point of comparison. There is a huge aftermarket industry to support Glocks. Some people think they are ugly, but they work. They are nowhere the same money as HKs.

Glocks are ugly, poor ergonomics, most people invest in sights, trigger work, upgraded mag release , etc,etc. Glock is like the Toyota and VP9 us the lexsus for the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The magazine capacity argument is 100% valid in Massachusetts. I would never buy a new 9mm that would not accept standard capacity pre-bans, so the VP9/P30 is out along with the M&P 9, SR9, and others. If I can only carry 10 rounds, they're going to be .45s.

Ergonomically, I see no issues with Glock, but everyone is different so to each his own. As for the cost of magazines, 10 round Glock magazines are plentiful and cheap. HK are costly, but good pre-ban Glock 9mm FML are even more money. They are around, but be prepared to pay.

Chris

The magazine capacity argument is 100% valid in Massachusetts. I would never buy a new 9mm that would not accept standard capacity pre-bans, so the VP9/P30 is out along with the M&P 9, SR9, and others. If I can only carry 10 rounds, they're going to be .45s.

Ergonomically, I see no issues with Glock, but everyone is different so to each his own. As for the cost of magazines, 10 round Glock magazines are plentiful and cheap. HK are costly, but good pre-ban Glock 9mm FML are even more money. They are around, but be prepared to pay.

Chris

I think if you really like the gun, and .45 isn't available, you should make an exception. In HK's case, a VP45 is very likely to come out soon, using the 10 round mag from the HK45.

Can tell you don't own Glocks. In free states Glocks are cheap. Upgrades to Glocks are cheap and easy. Most Glock triggers (aside from the stupid heavy pull ones for commie states) are not that bad for stock guns. But a ghost 3.5 lb trigger bar does absolute wonders, $17 delivered. Extended mag release if you want one is like $10. Glock mags are $25-30 each and almost indestructible. Many people upgrade their pistols to night sites, so that isn't really a valid point of comparison. There is a huge aftermarket industry to support Glocks. Some people think they are ugly, but they work. They are nowhere the same money as HKs.

Yes but Glocks AREN'T cheap here. And a lot of people can't see paying premium money for a NOT premium firearm. I've got nothing against them but I (and a lot of other people in the state) won't contribute to and laugh at the notion of spending 8-9 hundred dollars for a glock. I had money in hand and on the prowl for a glock 19 last month in fact. I've been shooting them off and on since the glock craze in the early 90's and can not see paying the money that some sellers THINK they are worth over the HK (or many others). even with the MA trigger in mind, I preferred the HK over a Glock (all things considered).

(And those who like to label people fan boy this, fan boy that-you can label me a Ruger fan first and foremost.)

Yes but Glocks AREN'T cheap here. And a lot of people can't see paying premium money for a NOT premium firearm. I've got nothing against them but I (and a lot of other people in the state) won't contribute to and laugh at the notion of spending 8-9 hundred dollars for a glock. I had money in hand and on the prowl for a glock 19 last month in fact. I've been shooting them off and on since the glock craze in the early 90's and can not see paying the money that some sellers THINK they are worth over the HK (or many others). even with the MA trigger in mind, I preferred the HK over a Glock (all things considered).

(And those who like to label people fan boy this, fan boy that-you can label me a Ruger fan first and foremost.)

Yeah I agree on the price. I would never pay the MA price for a new gen 3 or 4 Glock. They aren't worth $800 period. Buy a Sig or HK for that price. Of course if your just a total fan boy and REALLY want a newer model Glock, well it's your money so buy it if you want. My sister lives in Kentucky and picked her G19 up for $425ish NIB...so sad we get robbed here for Glocks.

Yeah I agree on the price. I would never pay the MA price for a new gen 3 or 4 Glock. They aren't worth $800 period. Buy a Sig or HK for that price. Of course if your just a total fan boy and REALLY want a newer model Glock, well it's your money so buy it if you want. My sister lives in Kentucky and picked her G19 up for $425ish NIB...so sad we get robbed here for Glocks.

I had an HK USPc .40. I sold it. I had a SIG 226. I sold it too. I kept my Glocks and bought more.

You can call SIGs and HK "premium" guns if that makes you happy. The fact that they are more expensive doesn't necessarily make them better and they certainly weren't better for me. In fact, for me, neither the HK or the SIG were as good as my Glocks.

Are Glocks perfect? Heck no. But I didn't pay $800 for any of them either.

I had an HK USPc .40. I sold it. I had a SIG 226. I sold it too. I kept my Glocks and bought more.

You can call SIGs and HK "premium" guns if that makes you happy. The fact that they are more expensive doesn't necessarily make them better and they certainly weren't better for me. In fact, for me, neither the HK or the SIG were as good as my Glocks.

Are Glocks perfect? Heck no. But I didn't pay $800 for any of them either.

Yeah the quality point or other "I like glocks better than Sigs, HK..." is all subjective. I like my P226 better than any Glock. Just my personal taste I guess. I still love Glocks though and they are great guns. I just won't pay the absurd price for a new one, or a really old one for that matter.

Yeah the quality point or other "I like glocks better than Sigs, HK..." is all subjective. I like my P226 better than any Glock. Just my personal taste I guess. I still love Glocks though and they are great guns. I just won't pay the absurd price for a new one, or a really old one for that matter.

You don't have to pay an absurd price for one or buy a really old one. Even here in MA. You do need some patience.

226? It didn't work for me. The grip circumference is too large. The bore axis is way too high, resulting in a lot of muzzle flip. And I'm not a DA/SA fan. If I really wanted a DA/SA gun I'd get a CZ - much lower bore axis and much more size efficient.

You don't have to pay an absurd price for one or buy a really old one. Even here in MA. You do need some patience.

226? It didn't work for me. The grip circumference is too large. The bore axis is way too high, resulting in a lot of muzzle flip. And I'm not a DA/SA fan. If I really wanted a DA/SA gun I'd get a CZ - much lower bore axis and much more size efficient.

Out of curiosity, did you have the newer E2 grips on that Sig? I have them on mine and have small hands. Seems to work well for me. Doesn't really address your other gripes with the da/sa or bore axis obviously. I like the the CZs as well, on my list of wants.

I keep an eye out for the good prices on glocks, but I'm not really actively looking to buy one right now either. If I do get the itch I'm sure I'll be more aggressive in my search.

Out of curiosity, did you have the newer E2 grips on that Sig? I have them on mine and have small hands. Seems to work well for me. Doesn't really address your other gripes with the da/sa or bore axis obviously.

No, mine had the older grips. I also did not put on a short trigger. The combination of the two might have helped, but it still wouldn't have fixed that high bore axis.

I have a VP9, shoots great and fits my hand nice. I can't comment on the G34 because I've never shot one, but I recommend the HK.....

And from the other side of that coin - I have a Glock 34, shoots great and fits my hand nice. I can't comment on the VP9 because I've never shot one, but I recommend the G34...

Quite seriously.

I resisted buying a glock for years. They're ugly, they have all the aesthetics of a brick, only they're not as attractive. I bought one after Sandy Hook because I wanted a "high capacity" nine and I knew they were going to become unobtainable shortly here in Connecticut. I bought it just over two years ago and the more I shoot it, the more I like it, it's just that simple.

It's simple to fieldstrip, it runs any and every type of ammo I can find for it, it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, it's easy to shoot accurately, it's easy to run. I bought it used, and I can tell that it's got a modified trigger and guide rod, I don't think it's had anything else done to it.

I've got more than a dozen other hand guns, and this and my G42 have become my "goto" carry guns because they're just absolutely reliable, and that's my number one criteria in a carry gun.

The VP. Its not ergonomically challenged like the glock. Love the mag release, Customizable grips...The gun does everything great!

Not dumping on glocks...I own a few...Just feels like such a dated gun in my hand. I shoot the VP better than any glock in my safe!

All the talk about Preban Mags and 10 rounds drive me to drink. This is Northeast Shooters not subjects of mass shooters. We don't know if OP lives in MA or if he is LEO so those shouldn't even be reasons at this point.

This too... I live in MA and I don't even care about whether or not "something has preban mags available for it" anymore. I'm so ****ing sick of even thinking about it. The only thing I don't like about the VP9 is that the mags are expensive, regardless of capacity. Hopefully the price will come down or the popularity of the gun will take off and MecGar, Magpul, or someone like that will make some cheapies for it that aren't crap.

-Mike

None of the Massachusetts issues are the fault of the gun. I see lots of glocks for reasonable money all over the place. The NES classifieds arent the only place to buy them either. Ive bever paid crazy money for any Glock i own.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

This too... I live in MA and I don't even care about whether or not "something has preban mags available for it" anymore. I'm so ****ing sick of even thinking about it. The only thing I don't like about the VP9 is that the mags are expensive, regardless of capacity. Hopefully the price will come down or the popularity of the gun will take off and MecGar, Magpul, or someone like that will make some cheapies for it that aren't crap.

MecGar doesn't sell any H&K magazines, there are hardly any aftermarket HK mags.

Just curious why you don't care about pre-ban mags, is it cause you think 10 rounds is enough, or you just get tired of the state influencing what you buy?

For me, I hate the idea of a gun designed with fat grip, only holding 10 rounds, and paying more for 10 round mags than standard 15/17 round mags cost. It's the 10 round VP9 mags that are hard to find and expensive, not the free state mags.

$45 For HK mag's isn't cheap but really...You buy them once and they last forever. Never seen so many grown men cry over $45 mags...LOL[laugh]

Last edited:
My two cents. I have a VP9 just sold my glock 34. I honestly love both guns. After selling the G34 I got a G17 Vickers edition as the difference between a 34 and 17 in my opinion is minimal. I guess when it comes down to I have to pick one. It would be the Glock. More mags available, it's a super common pistol anywhere in the US and world. They have a proven track record. With that said I absolutely love my VP9. Best of luck

$45 For HK mag's isn't cheap but really...You buy them once and they last forever. Never seen so many grown men cry over $45 mags...LOL[laugh]

It's still ****ing retarded when everyone elses,mags are $35 or less, even Glock OEM mags are $25-$30 at most gun shops. Its a mass produced piece of metal and plastic with 2 moving parts. It shouldn't be dry rape to buy them.

With all this talk of glock mags being cheaper, I'm surprised no one has mentioned any problems with them. Maybe they're rare, but my one friend who puts 5000 rounds a year through a G19 has swapped springs, followers, and base plates due to mag reliability issues or simply to upgrade them to the gen 3 or 4 editions, which supposedly work better. Those mods bring glock mags to HK mag prices or past them very quickly. On the other hand, with HK there are no "high reliability" followers. They were made right the first time and the mag bodies are tough steel. You pay the money, swap the mag spring every few years, and it'll work forever. Preban mags aside, my two cents are that the only compelling reasons to get the glock 17/34 are to have a common platform and entirely user serviceable gun. Unfortunately the VP9 is significantly more complicated than the other HK pistols and is a real challenge to detail strip (advisable every 15k rounds). So, if you shoot 10k+ rounds a year, I could see that being an important factor.

Magazines wear out. I don't care what kind of mags they are - Glock, 1911, AR15. Springs wear out. Feed lips get buggered. Followers get messed up.

If you are shooting 5000 rounds a year, you will end up replacing some magazines (or magazine parts) eventually. You can replace your Glock mags for about $20 each. Replacing your HK magazines is going to cost more like $60 each.

HK magazines are simply overpriced. Accept it. You may decide that, on balance, you still prefer the HK -- that's reasonable. But don't try to blow smoke up someone's skirt about the price of HK mags.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom