• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 34 or Hk VP 9 range gun/house gun, which would you prefer?

I got a chance to check out/handle/fire the VP 9 at Modern Day Marine last fall- it is a smooth/slick rig! The fit and finish of it was the first time I had handled an HK and said, "OH!, so that is why they cost so much." My vote is for the VP 9.

I can't stand the HK magazine release, so I'd take the Glock 34.

It is nice to have the ambi mag release though- Idk, I could get used to it. Depending on the Gen Glock, the mag release is microscopic and causes most people to change their grip to actuate...not to mention the HK release does not take as much force to operate. For me, the ergos on the HK were amazing and it is very, very smooth shooting.

If you want to take into account normal magazine capacity , the 34 can use preban 17rd mags , the vp9 is limited to 10 rounds,

Now if it were the .45 i wouldnt be missing too much, with a 21 vs a hk45, but are you willing to use the full sized glock and loose 7-9 rounds depending on mag extension,

I use the 21 for HD, with preban 13 rd mags. But before that i used the glock 19 with 15 rounds mags

It is nice to have the ambi mag release though- Idk, I could get used to it. Depending on the Gen Glock, the mag release is microscopic and causes most people to change their grip to actuate...not to mention the HK release does not take as much force to operate.

I can't disagree more.

First, why do you need an ambidextrous magazine release? If you are a lefty, then just get a Glock 34 and swap the mag release to the other side. Done. What are the chances that you will get in a gunfight that disables your strong hand and requires a reload? That likelihoods seems far beyond remote to me.

Second, the HK release is too far away to reach with your strong hand thumb, unless you've got enormous hands. So you either have to shift the gun in your grip or use your index finger. I'm not a fan of using my index finger for anything other than pulling the trigger, especially on a lever that is that close to the trigger -- very bad juju, IMO.

Third, all Glocks have the same magazine release in the same location. The only difference is how much it sticks out of the frame. The extended mag release sticks out more. If you like that (I don't), just get one for cheap dollars and drop it in. I have medium sized hands and I can reach the Glock mag release easily. I can't reach the HK magazine release with my thumb.

Fourth, at least on my HK USPc, it requires quite a bit of force to operate the magazine release. Perhaps this has changed on VP 9, but I find the release on my USPc to be hard to use.

Fifth, the HK magazine release is in a non-standard location. If you are only going to carry an HK and you train on it, the fact that the mag release is in a different location is not a big deal. If, however, you occasionally carry a handgun from a different manufacturer, the fact that the HK magazine release is in a different location could bite you in the backside in a very big way if the fecal matter hits the rotating device.

I can't disagree more.

First, why do you need an ambidextrous magazine release? If you are a lefty, then just get a Glock 34 and swap the mag release to the other side. Done. What are the chances that you will get in a gunfight that disables your strong hand and requires a reload? That likelihoods seems far beyond remote to me.

Second, the HK release is too far away to reach with your strong hand thumb, unless you've got enormous hands. So you either have to shift the gun in your grip or use your index finger. I'm not a fan of using my index finger for anything other than pulling the trigger, especially on a lever that is that close to the trigger -- very bad juju, IMO.

Third, all Glocks have the same magazine release in the same location. The only difference is how much it sticks out of the frame. The extended mag release sticks out more. If you like that (I don't), just get one for cheap dollars and drop it in. I have medium sized hands and I can reach the Glock mag release easily. I can't reach the HK magazine release with my thumb.

Fourth, at least on my HK USPc, it requires quite a bit of force to operate the magazine release. Perhaps this has changed on VP 9, but I find the release on my USPc to be hard to use.

Fifth, the HK magazine release is in a non-standard location. If you are only going to carry an HK and you train on it, the fact that the mag release is in a different location is not a big deal. If, however, you occasionally carry a handgun from a different manufacturer, the fact that the HK magazine release is in a different location could bite you in the backside in a very big way if the fecal matter hits the rotating device.

All valid points: to each his own. I do have really huge hands. Why do manufacturers put ambi anything on a gun? Ans: You already mentioned it. I don't know what the chances are, but id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

My Gen 4 30 has a 2x larger magazine release than my Gen 3 17..Do a quick Google search..just saying (i know they are all in the same location, but it isn't a simple difference of "one sticks out further"). Also, if you get the VP9 it is one stop shopping (sights included)- putting an extended mag release and upgraded sights on the Glock is extra coin and you are "taking away from the OEM nature of the gun" which I know is not permitted on this forum.

The VP9 mag release operates like butter..mags drop with little, but positive effort.

I am just speculating, but the nature of the OPs request makes me think he doesn't have too many handguns- so, why not train on a smooth HK and get used to the mag release? If I could only have one gun, given the two choices, I am going with the HK

I only have a HK P30L not a VP9 but they're similar. I also have a 34. If you have no training in either platform and can learn the HK mag release its without a doubt more comfortable and ergonomic. Capacity argument could be made, but to me its not a huge issue. I think all things considered Id take the HK. It has a modular grip and really fits the hand perfect.

VP9... Amazing gun, destroyed by that obnoxious mag release. As well as I shot with it, I couldn't reach the mag release with my thumb either, and I'm not a small guy. Not Andre the giant either.

Like M1911 said, you have to shift your grip to hit the mag release. No Bueno.

The mag release isn't designed to be actuated with the thumb. It is rather simply done with the trigger finger. As I said you either need to have no experience with the traditional release or train a little bit. Honestly once you work with it for a few minutes it becomes second nature. Might not be able to simply pick it up in the LGS and work it, but eventually you wont even notice it.

my wife's primary HD is a G34. what an awesome firearm. the only glock I like even more is the G17L but it's a bit ridiculous looking.
the VP9 is also wonderful but it's somewhat apples vs. oranges cuz the slide lengths are so different. the long sight radius on the G34 makes aiming it easier. also i think the G34 handles recoil better than the VP9.

a more fair comparison would be the G17 vs. VP9, which IMO both are excellent choices and it comes down purely to preferences (grip angle, mag release, ergos, etc, factoring in the wealth of post-market options for the glock).

- - - Updated - - -

The mag release isn't designed to be actuated with the thumb. It is rather simply done with the trigger finger. As I said you either need to have no experience with the traditional release or train a little bit. Honestly once you work with it for a few minutes it becomes second nature. Might not be able to simply pick it up in the LGS and work it, but eventually you wont even notice it.

^^this
the paddle system is a non issue if the shooter trains w it.

I first encountered the HK style mag release on the PPS and couldn't quite get the hang of it. Once I read about using the middle finger for the mag release, things fell into place and it is now my preference. No grip shift for me. You should try it for yourself though to make sure. I have the HK45 and will be getting the VP9 soon. Personally, I hate the grip on a Glock, so my vote doesn't mean much for comparison.

My Gen 4 30 has a 2x larger magazine release than my Gen 3 17..Do a quick Google search..just saying (i know they are all in the same location, but it isn't a simple difference of "one sticks out further"). Also, if you get the VP9 it is one stop shopping (sights included)- putting an extended mag release and upgraded sights on the Glock is extra coin and you are "taking away from the OEM nature of the gun" which I know is not permitted on this forum.

Dude nobody ever said that, and lots of us have Glocks and other guns with a few mods on them. Hell my 3rd gen G19 has a Vickers release, a set of trij night sights, and a Glock OEM extended slide release lever. By the time the dust settles the prices are about the same, and if you buy an appropriate amount of magazines the VP9 will drop sharply behind, because the magazines for that gun are WAAAAAY the **** overpriced. Maybe not a consideration if you're "jimmy 2 mag" that takes the pistol out to the range once every 3 months, but for everyone else, we want more mags. @ $60 a pop this gets very retarded, very fast. Not to mention, a price compare is sort of unfair... a VP9 is more of a midsized gun and a G34 is a long slide.

The VP9 mag release operates like butter..mags drop with little, but positive effort.

I am just speculating, but the nature of the OPs request makes me think he doesn't have too many handguns- so, why not train on a smooth HK and get used to the mag release? If I could only have one gun, given the two choices, I am going with the HK

The VP9 is a nice gun but the overpriced mags really killed it for me. I endured that shit long enough as an HK owner myself. (I've owned most of the USP product line, as well as a P7M8 and a MK23. )

IMHO the guy should pick whichever one points better for him. Honestly NPOA, at least to me, is a bigger deal than most anything else... one of the reasons I stay away from HK now is I discovered I naturally point the guns at the ground... which sucks.

-Mike

Last edited:

Trigger finger? Ehhhh not me. I had to use my middle finger on my strong hand.

I guess my mentality was, why am I going to train in another mag release when muscle memory already tells me to "press here."

I dry fired and reloaded for 2 months with that thing and it still felt awkward.

To each their own.

I'll quote Reptile from the original VP9 thread Derek posted:

Useless in Mass:

10 round mag? No thanks.
10 lb trigger? No thanks.

No pre ban 15 round mags available here. (P30 mags - which is what the VP9 uses were made after the AWB so you can only have 10 round mags in Mass)
Attorney General says you must have a 10 lb trigger.

I'd rather a Glock with 17 rounds and an awesome trigger.

In a free state:

I might want a VP9.

There is little more obnoxiously retarded than MA lo-capacity on a gun designed for standard capacity. Unless OP is LEO, of course.

if we are comparing/contrasting two different handguns, it's silly to slam one gun because it doesn't have "pre-ban" mag options. this is the sad reality of living in MA. someday there will be no preban mags at all (or perhaps they will be in museums some day), which was of course the goal of .gov when such legislation was passed.

the VP9 is not at fault because our laws suck. if someone chooses a glock over HK because of pre-ban mag issue, sorry that has absolutely NOTHING to do w the firearm itself....thats a personal preference had by someone who lives in a crappy state.

VP9 is way better for my hands, including the trigger release, which I handle with the middle finger of the shooting hand. Can't reach G34 mag release. As far as HK mags price, look around. Mags for $30 are not uncommon at all. I used to buy 10-rd mags for my P2000 for $9.99 from CDNN. Below $600 otd, the VP9 is a no-brainer. I will take it over G17 any day. 100% reliable from the box, no cartridges in the head (haven't shot a 9 mm Glock Gen4 without that problem) and trigger does not need any tweaking. It is just a superior gun. I may buy the second one and sell the remainder of my Glocks.

Last edited:
VP9 is way better for my hands, including the trigger release, which I handle with the middle finger of the shooting hand. Can't reach G34 mag release. As far as HK mags price, look around. Mags for $30 are not uncommon at all. I used to buy 10-rd mags for my P2000 for $9.99 from CDNN. Below $600 otd, the VP9 is a no-brainer. I will take it over G17 any day. 100% reliable from the box, no cartridges in the head (haven't shot a 9 mm Glock Gen4 without that problem) and trigger does not need any tweaking. It is just a superior gun.

you won't be finding any VP9/P30 10 round mags for much under $60, in fact usually in the $70 range assuming one can even find them.

if we are comparing/contrasting two different handguns, it's silly to slam one gun because it doesn't have "pre-ban" mag options. this is the sad reality of living in MA. someday there will be no preban mags at all (or perhaps they will be in museums some day), which was of course the goal of .gov when such legislation was passed.

the VP9 is not at fault because our laws suck. if someone chooses a glock over HK because of pre-ban mag issue, sorry that has absolutely NOTHING to do w the firearm itself....thats a personal preference had by someone who lives in a crappy state.

Who's "slamming the gun"? Think the point went over your head. There are factors that go into a gun buying decision in this sad sack of a state. That's one of them.

you won't be finding any VP9/P30 10 round mags for much under $60, in fact usually in the $70 range assuming one can even find them.

Yeah, right. I got mine for $33 apiece slightly used for P30. Plus 3 more mags come with the new VP9 gun.

Dude nobody ever said that, and lots of us have Glocks and other guns with a few mods on them. Hell my 3rd gen G19 has a Vickers release, a set of trij night sights, and a Glock OEM extended slide release lever. By the time the dust settles the prices are about the same, and if you buy an appropriate amount of magazines the VP9 will drop sharply behind, because the magazines for that gun are WAAAAAY the **** overpriced. Maybe not a consideration if you're "jimmy 2 mag" that takes the pistol out to the range once every 3 months, but for everyone else, we want more mags. @ $60 a pop this gets very retarded, very fast. Not to mention, a price compare is sort of unfair... a VP9 is more of a midsized gun and a G34 is a long slide.

The VP9 is a nice gun but the overpriced mags really killed it for me. I endured that shit long enough as an HK owner myself. (I've owned most of the USP product line, as well as a P7M8 and a MK23. )

IMHO the guy should pick whichever one points better for him. Honestly NPOA, at least to me, is a bigger deal than most anything else... one of the reasons I stay away from HK now is I discovered I naturally point the guns at the ground... which sucks.

-Mike

-Mike

Mike, haha are you following me around only to pick apart what I type here?? Gees I was just kidding with the OEM comment- it was a JOKE. You of all people should know the pot that I stirred suggesting Glock "upgrades." I learned that it is the opinion of some people here that mods you do to a gun (specifically a Glock) take away from the reliable nature of said gun. You certainly didn't jump M1911's bones with his incorrect comment WRT the safety size comment...I thought that is what you were going to be after!

So, you think that the G34 wins because of overpriced mags? Sounds like a good point to think about when purchasing and I agree that the OP has to shoot both guns to make any sort of determination. I would infer that the OP is your coined "jimmy 2 mag" and I doubt he will purchase extra mags. But, if not, very valid point- they are expensive.

That said, the VP9 is a Cadillac, the Glock is a Honda Civic.

I have a VP9, great gun, but it is a range/collector gun for me. All my other hand guns are Glocks except for my Ruger SR22.

Back
Top Bottom