From GOAL: LTC/FID Application Status Check

That's exactly what I did. Fortunately most shops were completely understanding as they're obviously well aware how ridiculous some of the wait times are. One shop surprised me by saying no, though I offered to pay in full, and sign anything they wanted stating I couldn't back out and ask for a refund. So you may have to ask around a bit.

Yea i had a really good experience at Fin & Feather Sports in Upton...the guy says lots of customers come in with plenty of money saved but still waiting on their license...so they Had just gotten 3 m&p 40 range kits in the day before and they had no problem selling me one and holding it in their safe indefinitely as long as I paid in full...

I think they said if you put like $100 down they would hold it for 90 days...also full refund is no problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Are you saying that your finger prints haven't even made it to sudbury to be analyzed/put through the system? btw. i completed my application on january 16th as well. I have a call into my local department because it's pending approval with them as well. if you are saying that the prints haven't even been received yet I guess things are FAR worse then i thoughte. this entire process is a joke. why on earth isn't GOAL and every other group jamming this stuff up the state's ass? I just don't get it.

That's exactly what it sounds like, we are getting the run around.

Last edited:
I'm on week 10, was told 6-8 weeks when I applied on 1/05.
So do shops allow you purchase a gun then let you pick it up when your license comes in?
I was thinking about doing that when a SIG I want showed up in stock, but by the time I called it was sold out.

Most shops let you do that. I have a Windham AR sitting in a safe waiting for me. Paid in full. Makes the wait extra long...

From Jim Wallace/GOAL Facebook Page:

FIREARM APPLICATION STATUS INFO

You can now retrieve the status of the firearms license application you’ve submitted to your local police department through the DCJIS by calling (617) 660-4722 during the normal business hours of Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The following information is required:
• Name
• Date of birth
• Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
• Driver’s license number (for identity verification)

Questions other than license status should be directed to the FRB at (617) 660-4782.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Jim-Wallace-Executive-Director-of-GOAL/196332417077929

The number worked great for me today! Got a very polite guy who took my details and promptly gave update on status. I applied and was finger printed Jan 15th, apparently my app is approved and waiting on printing. He said to call back if I'd not received notice on mail within 2 weeks!

Just called the FRB this morning, application has been approved and is just waiting to be activated and printed.

I live in Millbury which is typically 30-40 days, today is day: 42

It looks like I could potentially have my license by day # 56

Lol sucks considering a couple of people who applied the same day that I did in the same town, already got their license in hand but I'm still grateful that I live in a fairly efficient town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Applied for renewal of Dec 26th, sat with the officer and entered the data right then for the state. 79 days later, March 15t got the call that the license was in. Local friendly PD stated that the State fingerprint check was the issue

Ok, Norwood, I made my appointment on February 11th, did my prints on February 26th. Called the State and they said the approved LTC was mailed back to my local PD on March 5th. I'm going to give the Norwood PD a little bit of time although I'm really itching to call them. Basically from my appointment to the state mailing it back to the town was seven days. Unless I'm really confused about the process.

Ok, maybe I'm not understanding the process - I'm hoping folks can give me some advice. Like I said above, I called the state on March 11th and they said it was all set and mailed back to my local pd on March 5th. I called my local PD on March 14th and they said they didn't have it yet and to try again this week. According to the guy at the state the only thing the town had to do was call me to tell me to come pick it up. Once it's printed and sent back to the town there's nothing for them to do other than call me, right?

1/12/13 - turned in application at Walpole PD
1/15/13 - photographed and printed
3/05/13 - LTC printed and mailed to Walpole PD
3/15/13 - LTC-A (no restrictions) arrived in the mail

A guy that I work with turned in his application and had the interview in October and still hasn't gotten his back yet. He is going to call the number tomorrow morning when he's at home.

Ok, maybe I'm not understanding the process - I'm hoping folks can give me some advice. Like I said above, I called the state on March 11th and they said it was all set and mailed back to my local pd on March 5th. I called my local PD on March 14th and they said they didn't have it yet and to try again this week. According to the guy at the state the only thing the town had to do was call me to tell me to come pick it up. Once it's printed and sent back to the town there's nothing for them to do other than call me, right?

I believe all they have to do besides call you is to activate the license by clicking a button on the screen. And maybe give you your pin.

It took about a week snail mail to get to my local after they told me in Boston it was mailed so you should get it this week. Your PD then has to activate it and generate your PIN number. If they have a stack of them or the person that does it is jammed up it might take a while.

Were you looking for an unrestricted? Norwood use to be a red town but I heard good things about Brooks.

red city south of boston--- approved for alp after 1 year with target & hunting--now at 7 weeks--could be MONTHS for new card to come in per lo--low priority for state to print

I filed my LTC application with the CoP on 2/23/13. I called today they told me my LTC is 'Active, Printed and mailed'. I called my CoP and he says it is all set to go but he can't release it until he gets confirmation from MSP on the background check. He ran the check and says I'm fine but he still needs to wait for MSP. I'm still under the 40 day window, hopefully it won't be too much longer.

This sounds odd. I've never heard of a license being approved and printed before they even had the checks back.

Either way good for you... That's a quick turnaround.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

That would be great! Seems the days of "we don't issue ALP" are gone? I suppose you don't need it for employment.

No, no reason to have it for employment. Still haven't heard from the PD yet. Tempted to call them to see what's up, they've had it at least two weeks with supposedly nothing left to do with it.

Does the turn times on these have anything to do with the town you live in? I submitted my application January 11th and got approved by the town for class A on the spot. Just called this hotline and the guy said another 2 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!! I am so pissed right now. I cant buy guns or ammo! This is taking almost 3 friggin months!

Just called. submitted app and did interview 2/1. Still pending background check. WTF.

Does the turn times on these have anything to do with the town you live in? I submitted my application January 11th and got approved by the town for class A on the spot. Just called this hotline and the guy said another 2 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!! I am so pissed right now. I cant buy guns or ammo! This is taking almost 3 friggin months!

That's 70 days! They are 30 days late. Call and DEMAND they cough up your license!

My daughter submitted her application on January 7. According to the DCJIS, the application was only received on the 20th of this month. The local police dept. has stated numerous times that it is the fault of the FRB, but now it is clear that the delay is a function of the local PD. I live in a green town that doesn't normally cause any problems, despite the COPs' stated dissatisfaction with the requirements to issue.

I would like to point out to the local PD of their lapse. Any suggestions on how to do so? The 40 days requirement--is that total elapsed time, including PD and FRB review?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it is 40 days from when you turned in your application.

Imagine if the RMV was this slow?

Back
Top Bottom