• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fid requirements for minors

My wife didn't have to sign or consent to anything. She would have consented but that's not the point here.....I was the only parent involved in getting him his FID.
In Saugus back when my son was 15, so 10 years ago, the firearms officer required consent from both parents. It may have been because we where divorced and he lived with his mother, but I'm the one that took him for the appointment.

Who cares about their opinion - the fact is that Mass law states hunter education meets the training standard therefore their opinion has no standing in law.
While that may be true (actually, it's black-letter law), there is a time-honored policy of PDs doing what they damn well please. Is it unlawful? I guess it would have to go to trial, to find out. But how many people are going to spend all the blood and treasure required to make a PD accept a HE card for LTC/FID issuance, and not just say, "Screw it, I'll take a Basic Pistol course." and be done with it.

There is no requirement for proof-of-residence, but some burgs require it. Hell, in my city, I had to produce a photo ID, to pick up my new LTC....which was my most recent photo ID......

Mass law also states that you're supposed to have your license within 40 days.

In Saugus back when my son was 15, so 10 years ago, the firearms officer required consent from both parents. It may have been because we where divorced and he lived with his mother, but I'm the one that took him for the appointment.
The PD may have required it, but that was a PD thing, not MGL thing.

Who cares about their opinion - the fact is that Mass law states hunter education meets the training standard therefore their opinion has no standing in law.
You can argue all you want. You WOULDN’T be getting your LTC until it made it through the courts.

I just had a student go through their bullshit a few weeks ago.

You can argue all you want. You WOULDN’T be getting your LTC until it made it through the courts.

I just had a student go through their bullshit a few weeks ago.
Concur - but you need people aggrieved by their illegal actions in order to get standing so Com2a, or any other advocacy group, needs clean plaintiffs to start the process.
And yes, refusing to accept hunter's ed for an FID or LTC is illegal especially since Bruen removed subjective standards from the licensing process.
The law clearly states hunter's ed meets the minimum training standards therefore requiring anything further is extra legal.

Under Bruen:
You have a right to a permit if the state requires a permit and the requirements for a permit must be objective and reasonable.

SCOTUS has allowed in its dicta licensing and training but also stated that those could be abused. The legislature set an objective standard that under Bruen sets the limit on what a licensing officer can require.

Concur - but you need people aggrieved by their illegal actions in order to get standing so Com2a, or any other advocacy group, needs clean plaintiffs to start the process.
And yes, refusing to accept hunter's ed for an FID or LTC is illegal especially since Bruen removed subjective standards from the licensing process.
The law clearly states hunter's ed meets the minimum training standards therefore requiring anything further is extra legal.

Under Bruen:
You have a right to a permit if the state requires a permit and the requirements for a permit must be objective and reasonable.

SCOTUS has allowed in its dicta licensing and training but also stated that those could be abused. The legislature set an objective standard that under Bruen sets the limit on what a licensing officer can require.
Yeah, again, I get all that. But that’s STILL not how it always works in reality. You’ve been around here long enough to have heard some of the bullshit people deal with.

Are you offering to finance someone’s legal fight?
Because most people would find it cheaper and easier to just find a course that is acceptable to the douchebags.

JUST because he takes the Basic Hunter Safety class, you STILL have to watch him. Make sure he is not sweeping the crowd (or you). Make sure he is watching for a safe backstop--you might find unsafe backstops as you walk in the woods are ask him "Is it ok to shoot that rabbit across that pond there?", and so on. If you come up to any structures, ask him if it is safe to shoot near them. and so on.

I still have my $2.00 FID that I got when I was 15 right after I took the hunter safety course. It was held in my high school cafeteria and the instructors brought in rifles and shotguns for the students to handle.
I pity today's yutes.
Mine was $2.00 @15 years old.

But I did not have to take any courses.

"I think this applicant might be dangerous" is not an objective standard.

Back
Top Bottom