• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fid requirements for minors

Marty McFly

NES Member
I'm working on getting my 16 year old nephew his fid card so he can go hunting. His hunters safety field day is this weekend and I'll be taking him.
Does the hunters safety class satisfy the requirements for his fid or does he also need the basic firearm safety class as well?
This is chatham in case it matters.

From the Ma site, looks like the Hunter Safety course is good for the FID.Thats what my oldest took when he got his first FID card.

• New FID applicants must be 18 years or older (or 14–17 years of age with parental consent). Applicants 14 years old may apply, but will not be issued the card until they reach age 15). In accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 129B; “Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority shall issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person.” The fee for an FID card is $100.00 for people 18 years of age or older and $25 for applicants under 18 years of age. It is valid for 6 years.
  • Training requirements: In accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 131P (a) all first time firearm license applicants must successfully complete a MA Certified Firearms Safety Course ora Basic Hunter Education Course and submit a certificate of completion with their firearms license application.
    • Certified Firearms Safety Courses are taught by independent instructors certified by the Massachusetts Department of State Policeand are usually a 1-day course. Taking a firearms safety course is your best option if you are simply trying to fulfill the training requirement to apply for a Massachusetts firearms license.
    • Basic Hunter Education Courses are administered by the Division of Fisheries & Wildlife and are taught throughout the state by certified volunteer instructors and agency staff. The Basic Hunter Education course includes the recommended guidelines for all new hunters and is designed to teach proper safety and ethics in the field while hunting. People interested in obtaining a hunting license and applying for an FID should take this course.

I'm working on getting my 16 year old nephew his fid card so he can go hunting. His hunters safety field day is this weekend and I'll be taking him.
Does the hunters safety class satisfy the requirements for his fid or does he also need the basic firearm safety class as well?

Just make sure it's a MA hunter safety course... I don't believe they will accept a course from another state.

And good luck in the woods.. good on you for getting a kid out in the field.

From the Ma site, looks like the Hunter Safety course is good for the FID.Thats what my oldest took when he got his first FID card.

• New FID applicants must be 18 years or older (or 14–17 years of age with parental consent). Applicants 14 years old may apply, but will not be issued the card until they reach age 15). In accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 129B; “Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority shall issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person.” The fee for an FID card is $100.00 for people 18 years of age or older and $25 for applicants under 18 years of age. It is valid for 6 years.
  • Training requirements: In accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 131P (a) all first time firearm license applicants must successfully complete a MA Certified Firearms Safety Course ora Basic Hunter Education Course and submit a certificate of completion with their firearms license application.
    • Certified Firearms Safety Courses are taught by independent instructors certified by the Massachusetts Department of State Policeand are usually a 1-day course. Taking a firearms safety course is your best option if you are simply trying to fulfill the training requirement to apply for a Massachusetts firearms license.
    • Basic Hunter Education Courses are administered by the Division of Fisheries & Wildlife and are taught throughout the state by certified volunteer instructors and agency staff. The Basic Hunter Education course includes the recommended guidelines for all new hunters and is designed to teach proper safety and ethics in the field while hunting. People interested in obtaining a hunting license and applying for an FID should take this course.
Thank you! I wasn't sure if towns made up thier own rules too

Yes make sure it is the Basic Hunter Education Course. This process worked with my son. He had hunted with me since he was 6 or so. At a certain point...about 10 or so I carried a youth shotgun so he could shoot too. By the time he got his license at 15 he more hunting experience than a number of folks we ran into. Practice with your nephew ALOT. My son would go thru 200-300 rounds just getting ready for the season. But it pays off when he was hitting almost every bird he shot at. Younger folks tend to enjoy hunting more when they have success. Good Luck with him.

Yes make sure it is the Basic Hunter Education Course. This process worked with my son. He had hunted with me since he was 6 or so. At a certain point...about 10 or so I carried a youth shotgun so he could shoot too. By the time he got his license at 15 he more hunting experience than a number of folks we ran into. Practice with your nephew ALOT. My son would go thru 200-300 rounds just getting ready for the season. But it pays off when he was hitting almost every bird he shot at. Younger folks tend to enjoy hunting more when they have success. Good Luck with him.
Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it

It is a real state of mass hunter safety course. He did the online and now has his field day in Plympton.
I guess they started doing that during covid. I remember going to a few sessions for mine

It is a real state of mass hunter safety course. He did the online and now has his field day in Plympton.
I guess they started doing that during covid. I remember going to a few sessions for mine

Yeah.. the hybrid classes started for covid.
I think they are great for kids. My son did the hybrid CT course and I think it awesome.
Lets him take his time learning the material and makes sure he understands it. Plus I could help him with anything he didn't get.
The quizzes at the end of each section ensures they are learning the material.

He passed the field day course with flying colors.

Yeah.. the hybrid classes started for covid.
I think they are great for kids. My son did the hybrid CT course and I think it awesome.
Lets him take his time learning the material and makes sure he understands it. Plus I could help him with anything he didn't get.
The quizzes at the end of each section ensures they are learning the material.

He passed the field day course with flying colors.
I was happy he could take his time too. I hope his goes well this weekend. I'll be sitting in. Should be fine. I'll update once he's good to go

It did for my son....applied in haverhill.

I personally don't care.....but you know if you let him hunt (acautlly shoot) at 10 you were breaking the law right?

No person under 12 can hunt in Massachusetts. Been that way forever.

Screenshot_20240313_201329_Chrome.jpg

OP: Some towns do not accept Hunter Ed cards. Best to check first.

Also, make sure that your town charges $25 for the FID (price for <18). My younger kid was told it was $100, but had a copy of the MGLs with him, so...

Also, the Hybrid courses started before covid, not because if it. It was a PITA for too many people to make six three-hour sessions. The hybrid course also makes the Instructors' workload less.

ETA: While it seems that OP's nephew has a mentor (OP), one thing that I stress to all new-to-the-game people in HE courses is that if you are inexperienced with guns, remember that there is no live fire in a HE course! It's the old, "Just because you can, does not mean that you should," thing. Find someone that can teach you.

Last edited:
I personally don't care.....but you know if you let him hunt (acautlly shoot) at 10 you were breaking the law right?

View attachment 861141
The DPRM definition of "hunt" is very broad. Having a 10-year-old along, even with them not shooting or carrying the shotgun (or whatever), while you are hunting, can be construed as hunting.

Walking around with a ski pole, hitting brush piles to scare a rabbit, for a hawk to chase, requires a hunting license.

IANAL, but I've heard several EPOs in HE classes, and some are more....humorless....than others.

The DPRM definition of "hunt" is very broad. Having a 10-year-old along, even with them not shooting or carrying the shotgun (or whatever), while you are hunting, can be construed as hunting.

Walking around with a ski pole, hitting brush piles to scare a rabbit, for a hawk to chase, requires a hunting license.

IANAL, but I've heard several EPOs in HE classes, and some are more....humorless....than others.
I took my son before he was 12 but he just waked or sat with me. If a pair of green britches ever gave me shit about it I'd be more than pissed. I never let him touch my guns let alone shoot.

Fwiw I think the age restriction is stupid. Every kid matures at a different age. I know 15 amd 16 year Olds that I would never trust to handle a gun and hunt.....my son.....he was ready at about 11 years old. But we waited till he was 12 because of the regs.

I took my son before he was 12 but he just waked or sat with me. If a pair of green britches ever gave me shit about it I'd be more than pissed. I never let him touch my guns let alone shoot.

Fwiw I think the age restriction is stupid. Every kid matures at a different age. I know 15 amd 16 year Olds that I would never trust to handle a gun and hunt.....my son.....he was ready at about 11 years old. But we waited till he was 12 because of the regs.
Understood.

I was just pointing out that there are many nuances. The line in my post about ski poles, was personal. After the fact, I asked an EPO if I'd been hunting without a license, and he said, "Yes, but we leave Falconers alone, because they're all crazy." AFAIK, all the Falconers were properly licensed, though I did not check.

I know adults that should not be in the woods, let alone teens! [laugh]

I carried the youth shotgun ... but did he shoot at 10? He did at 12 I know that.

Just went through this with my son. Completed hunters Ed through MA last year and we needed the actual card from the class when we applied for the FID. $25 and 11 weeks after applying (and missing the entire season) he is good to go at 15.

There are nuances with the regs for minors, especially for muzzleloaders as we had many different responses from law enforcement before he got the FID in the mail.

And yes the age thing is odd— in MA a 12 year old has to have the adult for hunting, but if they had boaters Ed they can take dad’s center console out fishing. Alone.

If under age 17, you need consent from both parents.
Cite, please?

Here is the governing MGL

and, the relevant language:

(v) is at the time of the application more than 14 but less than 18 years of age, unless the applicant submits with the application a certificate of a parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;

It's enough of a PITA, without making more hoops.

In my case there is neither parent to deal with so hopefully that all goes well. Their grandma is the legal guardian and totally fine with it.
We are leaving to get fuel and and dunkies. Then off to hunters safety.

Statutorily, it qualifies for an fid or ltc.
Realistically, it depends on the town.

In my case there is neither parent to deal with so hopefully that all goes well. Their grandma is the legal guardian and totally fine with it.
We are leaving to get fuel and and dunkies. Then off to hunters safety.
Enjoy the class!
I’ve sat through a half dozen or so, and I have no idea how many bfs classes.
It’s always interesting hearing others’ perspectives and questions on guns and hunting.

Back
Top Bottom