• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fun / Cool FID Rifle Suggestions

FancyGunz

NES Member
Looking for suggestions.

I'm getting a new young shooter into the hobby. What are some fun, cool, or "show off-y" guns he can look into getting with an FID?

Keep in mind this is the "Fortnite generation". Appearances and cool factor are often more desirable than functionality.

I'd suggest a maverick 88 because it is cheap and simple. $130 will give it a tacticool adjustable stock, pistol grip, and tacticool mount up front for a front grip and flashlights / lasers.

And it's practical. He can swap barrels with a hand adjustable nut and put a short 18" barrel on it. Or a 28" to shoot skeet or do turkey shoots. Do recommend starting with a 28" barrel and buying the shorty separately.

Used they can be found for $200. $280 new. So $500 all in and you have a gun to handle multiple tasks proficiently.

I'd suggest a maverick 88 because it is cheap and simple. $130 will give it a tacticool adjustable stock, pistol grip, and tacticool mount up front for a front grip and flashlights / lasers.

And it's practical. He can swap barrels with a hand adjustable nut and put a short 18" barrel on it. Or a 28" to shoot skeet or do turkey shoots. Do recommend starting with a 28" barrel and buying the shorty separately.

Used they can be found for $200. $280 new. So $500 all in and you have a gun to handle multiple tasks proficiently.
You probably give people socks for Christmas too

Looking for suggestions.

I'm getting a new young shooter into the hobby. What are some fun, cool, or "show off-y" guns he can look into getting with an FID?

Keep in mind this is the "Fortnite generation". Appearances and cool factor are often more desirable than functionality.
Something with rails for cool attachments.

Mp5 22lr... ar 15 22

Ar 15
G36c 22lr

This. The M&P 15 is probably the best semi auto .22 AR style (this is coming firm a SW hater). Seems like almost everyone in steel challenge shoots one and they do great.

He could also get a 10/22 and some conversion kit to make it look like some alien bullpup space vomit gun or make it look like an M1 or whatever he wishes.

But I think you should give us more info like:
- budget for gun.
- budget for ammo.
- intended purpose.
- budget for scope.
- what type of range he has access to.

Because there are a lot of very nice bolt action rifles that will be awesome for the rest of his life. Like a CZ 457 would be awesome for a bunch of competitions.

But there are also a ton of centerfire rifles if he has access to a long range and experience shooting.

I think if you get a gun based on looks only, you should go cheap and reliable, because he will get bored fast. So cheap and reliable = 10/22 or M&P15. Both offer the possibility of several upgrades so they sre somewhat future proof and he won't end up dumping it at the LGS for $200.

Both the 10/22 and M&P15 also offer the possibility to shoot steel challenge if he wants to do something other than punching paper at 50 years, which gets old very fast.

Last edited:
AR-15 22 would be the one I would say.

Mp5 22lr... ar 15 22

Ar 15
G36c 22lr

Had one for a while . Pretty cool
View attachment 831804

These are all nice options. Why are these FID-allowable vs others, since they can all (potentially) have 10+ rounds? He just has to make sure the magazines are limited to 10rd or less, but how is that any different than LTC assuming no preban mags?

These are all nice options. Why are these FID-allowable vs others, since they can all (potentially) have 10+ rounds? He just has to make sure the magazines are limited to 10rd or less, but how is that any different than LTC assuming no preban mags?
I forge the details, but there are a bunch of threads on NES about this. I know this, because when I first got my resident alien FID (over 10 years ago - when they had the old process), I was Googling and came across a bunch of NES threads, that is what got me to join the forum.

Several explained why a 10/22 was fine, but some FFLs would not sell a 10/22 to someone with an FID.

You probably give people socks for Christmas too
Dude, you think a new shooter with an FID (18-21) wouldn't be all about something like this? You are basically getting a 590 FLEX or 590 SPX for half the money.

Mossberg12GA_2_Fotor.jpg

Last edited:
There's a lot of mod kits for the 10/22

10-22 is a great start, IIRC, Cabelas has a 10/22, wood or synthetic for $270. They sell a 10-22 with an bunch of ATI furniture for $460/470, but for that money, just buy the HK 416 in .22 ($500), the M&P 15-22 $450, or the HK mp5 in .22 ($500). I'd throw the Henry Classic in there for consideration at $360 as well.

If those is higher than the budget, the Rossi RS22 ($140) and Savage Arms 64F ($150) are options, although I dislike Savage Arms for a horrendous first gun purchase I made with them (Model 93) where my bolt would simply never stop rusting, and they never made it right.

If you lean towards the Maverick shotgun I mentioned, ATI furniture to make it tacti-cool is great, and high quality, but Trinity Supply's offerings have solid reviews and are half the money. You can save enough money to buy the second barrel and still be under the money of the high end offerings above.

mic drop

Dude, you think a new shooter with an FID (18-21) wouldn't be all about something like this? You are basically getting a 590 FLEX or 590 SPX for half the money.

Mossberg12GA_2_Fotor.jpg
Not exactly cheap to shoot or something I’d use for plinking at the range. A new shooter will probably get turned off with the recoil. Maybe not

Mossberg12GA_2_Fotor.jpg
I don't, unless someone supplies all the ammo.

When I was young and new, paying $10/box of 20 .223 s*cked. I shot those in a few minutes through the 700. Keep in mind, I was still studying and making student money. Having to pay for shotgun ammo, f*ck that.

10-22 is a great start, IIRC, Cabelas has a 10/22, wood or synthetic for $270. They sell a 10-22 with an bunch of ATI furniture for $460/470, but for that money, just buy the HK 416 in .22 ($500), the M&P 15-22 $450, or the HK mp5 in .22 ($500). I'd throw the Henry Classic in there for consideration at $360 as well.

If those is higher than the budget, the Rossi RS22 ($140) and Savage Arms 64F ($150) are options, although I dislike Savage Arms for a horrendous first gun purchase I made with them (Model 93) where my bolt would simply never stop rusting, and they never made it right.

If you lean towards the Maverick shotgun I mentioned, ATI furniture to make it tacti-cool is great, and high quality, but Trinity Supply's offerings have solid reviews and are half the money. You can save enough money to buy the second barrel and still be under the money of the high end offerings above.
Don't get the rossi.. that never runs right..i have one

He could also get a 10/22 and some conversion kit to make it look like some alien bullpup space vomit gun or make it look like an M1 or whatever he wishes.

View attachment 831911

This was my Ruger 10-22 in P90 clothes. Regret selling it. Fun as hell.

And what gamer born after Goldeneye doesn't know the P90?

That's a really good idea, I forgot they made kits like that. That's probably the best route. Cheap, customizable, tacticool.

Back
Top Bottom