From GOAL: LTC/FID Application Status Check

Ok, so Ive read through all these posts but nobody has seemed to give an answer so let me try to be of some help. Here is how the process is supposed to go:
-Go in to drop off app, do interview, take pics and prints, collect $.
-PD does Criminal check via MIRCS
-PD then submits for DMH and AFIS checks. DMH are emailed and at most take 3 days to get back. AFIS if renewal can be emailed, if new hard copy of prints needs to be snail mailed to Sudbury.
-When DMH results come back, LO goes back into app and checks that off
-When AFIS comes back they do the same. HERE is the problem.....this can take anywhere from 2 weeks (fastest i have seen) to 6 weeks, last batch I just processed.
-Once those checks are complete it gets sent to FRB for approval then card printing.
-2 to 3 weeks later we get the license in hand, activate it and call to be picked up (or some mail out)
When they tell you it is "In review" that means that the app is in the computer but needs to still have the DMH and AFIS checks completed before it can be forwarded to FRB. I know there are some cities and towns that play games, but I do not. We are a small PD with typically one guy working the road and we still make time for these and got extra coverage for LTC days which we only do on Fridays. I have seen it take a very long time for the "State" to send back AFIS results, so much so that I constantly email them because I get some back that were submitted before ones I previously (by weeks) submitted. So I can say first hand that the only delays on my end are from the State. I hope this clarifys some things for people and if you have any other questions that I may not have answered feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the excellent summary.

Wondering on the fingerprints. If you are checking the fingerprints of somebody who is arrested, how are they checked? You don't mail paper prints and wait weeks do you?

Just wondering if there's a way to speed up the initial application, snail mailing the prints seems insane in this day and age.

Forgot to mention, if there is a sealed record or record on microfilm add about 2 weeks to the process. It used to be about 6 but they have since streamlined it a little but will still cause delays.

Wondering on the fingerprints. If you are checking the fingerprints of somebody who is arrested, how are they checked? You don't mail paper prints and wait weeks do you?

Just wondering if there's a way to speed up the initial application, snail mailing the prints seems insane in this day and age.

Unfortunately it doesnt matter if someone has been arrested or now. They dont have prints on file if you never have been but they have to run them through the same process as if you were to make sure there are no hits. If you have been arrested, they are going to triple check them and then include a copy of your rap sheet to go with it so pd can make sure there are no disqualifiers. They also run checks throughout the entire country through the afis database to check if you have been arrested/charged out of state.

Wpdc13....thank you sincerely...you just made being in 6 week limbo bearable again. I hate to be that guy but can you define: MIRCS, DMH, AFIS and FRB? again, thank you!

MIRCS=Mass Instant Record Check System-this is the licensing system that took place in '06 I believe
DMH=Department of Mental Health
AFIS=Automated Fingerprint Identification System
FRB=Firearms Records Bureau

MIRCS=Mass Instant Record Check System-this is the licensing system that took place in '06 I believe
DMH=Department of Mental Health
AFIS=Automated Fingerprint Identification System
FRB=Firearms Records Bureau

Again....thank you sir.

I went in to have my prints done on Tuesday and was told (rather apologetically) that it was going to be 3-4 weeks rather than the usual 1-2 because of all the backlog at the state level. They did seem to really have their act together in my town. I'm hoping that's true but it sounds optimistic based on what you laid out there. Thanks for the info WPDC13!

Submitted application through my town on January 30th. Just called the number and it was received by them on Feb 20th as approved. About how much longer of a wait do I have to go?

Edit: The good news is I was approved for Class A no restrictions. Hooray!

Last edited:
Submitted application through my town on January 30th. Just called the number and it was received by them on Feb 20th as approved. About how much longer of a wait do I have to go?

about 2 weeks

And this is what confuses me, why such a disparity? Less than a month.

What town Philcore5? Lucky bastard

Hah, I know, I'm lucky compared to some in this thread. I shouldn't be complaining about two more weeks all things considering, but I'm impatient. I want to pick up my first firearm.

Millbury, MA for those interested. We were a bit nervous considering we just got a new chief about 2 weeks prior to that (my wife also applied at the same time). He's from New Haven, CT so we were expecting what was a very green town to turn a little bit. Luckily, he seems to not want to mess with it.

Last edited:
And this is what confuses me, why such a disparity? Less than a month.

It's gotta be the local PD's. They sit on applications, or delay approving them and sending them to FRB once the background checks are done. Also, they could have the license and just not mail them out right away if they are a PD that mails vs pick up of license.

Finally recieved my renewal LTC-A in the mail last week. Here's the timeline.

Taunton, Ma

Went in to make the appointment 10/1....received an early December date.

My ltc expired late oct.

Early December appointment took 2 min / no problems. Officer told me I would receive it by mail in 6-8 weeks.

Because my license was already expired, I wasn't able to make any purchases.

I received the new LTC last week. I had called the # from this thread that same day. They told me they had mailed it to my local PD a few days before. I called my local PD to inquire if they had received it an they told me it was mailed to me the day before. I went home at lunch and there it was! I went straight to my local gun store and......empty shelves.

I must say that everyone at Taunton PD were great to deal with and both times I called the gov # they were professional and very helpful. Good luck to everyone

10 weeks in Medford...same as you ...stuck at PD still.

Has ANYONE in Medford applied in 2013 and have their license yet? I'm back in December, and beginning to wonder if their is any logic at all as to who is getting their license and when.

Just called. This will be the 40th business day. And we are of course "still pending local Background check." Da fuq?

Call and ask them if you have been denied. Then insist they hurry it up. Not like you have any options. I think anyone who has to wait more than 40 days should get it for free, and get their $100 back on top of it as a penalty to the police department.

Call and ask them if you have been denied. Then insist they hurry it up. Not like you have any options. I think anyone who has to wait more than 40 days should get it for free, and get their $100 back on top of it as a penalty to the police department.

Except the PD doesnt give a rats ass because they dont see a dime.

Back
Top Bottom