From GOAL: LTC/FID Application Status Check

My daughter submitted her application on January 7. According to the DCJIS, the application was only received on the 20th of this month. The local police dept. has stated numerous times that it is the fault of the FRB, but now it is clear that the delay is a function of the local PD. I live in a green town that doesn't normally cause any problems, despite the COPs' stated dissatisfaction with the requirements to issue.

I would like to point out to the local PD of their lapse. Any suggestions on how to do so? The 40 days requirement--is that total elapsed time, including PD and FRB review?

Thanks!
There's likely a confusion of terms. The process is outlined here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ws/155593-ma-ltc-fid-application-process.html

So when the town is saying they're waiting for the state, they're probably talking about the first part of the process, waiting for the State Police, the DMH, the Parole Board and most likely the longest the fingerprint check through AFIS. Then the application goes to the FRB board for final review, printing and mailing.

No, no reason to have it for employment. Still haven't heard from the PD yet. Tempted to call them to see what's up, they've had it at least two weeks with supposedly nothing left to do with it.

ARGH so frustrating. I called the state number again to make sure I heard right the first time. They had told me they had mailed it back to my town on March 5th. The town says they don't have it when I last spoke to them. According to the post here http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ws/155593-ma-ltc-fid-application-process.html all that needs to happen now is my town should have had to just:

• PD “Issues” LTC with PIN – MUST click a button on MIRCS to do this (otherwise LTC will not show as “active”).
  • PD Mails/Delivers LTC or Calls person to come pick it up.

Theoretically my town has been at the first step there since March 7th, which is perplexing because all of the other steps happened in SEVEN DAYS. The state number says that the LTC still does not show up as active and that it may have been lost in the mail. I'm trying to call the town again and trying to figure out how to not piss them off by suggesting "it was lost in the mail because I know you've had it since the 7th".

I'm trying to call the town again and trying to figure out how to not piss them off by suggesting "it was lost in the mail because I know you've had it since the 7th".
"Hi, I've been concerned about my license, so I called the FRB and they tell me that the license must be lost in the mail since they mailed it back to you on the 7th. I know you've looked before, but could you possibly triple check for me that it didn't get misplaced in the mail room? Otherwise we're going to have to request a duplicate be sent out today. Thanks"

- - - Updated - - -

...and nevermind, Norwood PD says it's been issued and I can pick it up. Four weeks from photos and prints to pickup in Norwood, MA.
LOL, nevermind too.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember being so anxious or impatient, as many here are, when I got my LTC 40 years ago. Maybe it's the times we live in, where everyone expects instant gratification, I don't know?? [hmmm] I just waited patiently, and it came...eventually.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember being so anxious or impatient, as many here are, when I got my LTC 40 years ago. Maybe it's the times we live in, where everyone expects instant gratification, I don't know?? [hmmm] I just waited patiently, and it came...eventually.

I think it's less to do with instant gratification and more to do with the state following their own laws: 40 days. Some are no doubt anxious, but when you look at some of the waits posted here I'd say some gripes are justified.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's less to do with instant gratification and more to do with the state following their own laws: 40 days. Some are no doubt anxious, but when you look at some of the waits posted here I'd say some gripes are justified.

I don't disagree. Wait times now are disgraceful, but forty years ago, I recall waiting about 7 weeks. Some people are freaking out at 4 or 5 weeks!

Last edited:
I have a Class B right now. Went in to my PD on 3/11 and filled out a new application for an A-ALP. Sgt told me 4-5 weeks. Called just to see where it would be 16 days later and its "at my local PD pending background investigation". So it still has to go to the State Police then to the FRB then back to the PD as far as I know.

I got my Class B a year ago in 36 days. Hopefully this takes about the same amount of time.

Time to get the popcorn out!

This is absolutely absurd. I had my appointment on Jan. 7th. STILL no LTC. My dad had his appointment almost 2 weeks after me and he already got his in! Its the same town! Just called and they said mine was activated on March 27th and it still needed to be printed. They said 2 weeks from the 27th! WTF. Everytime I call they say 2 more weeks. What is going on? What can I do about this? And why did my dad get his 3 weeks sooner than me if his appointment was 2 weeks after mine? I cant go hunting, shooting, or buy ammo right now. This is absolutely ridiculous. Sorry for the rant.

This is absolutely absurd. I had my appointment on Jan. 7th. STILL no LTC. My dad had his appointment almost 2 weeks after me and he already got his in! Its the same town! Just called and they said mine was activated on March 27th and it still needed to be printed. They said 2 weeks from the 27th! WTF. Everytime I call they say 2 more weeks. What is going on? What can I do about this? And why did my dad get his 3 weeks sooner than me if his appointment was 2 weeks after mine? I cant go hunting, shooting, or buy ammo right now. This is absolutely ridiculous. Sorry for the rant.

If the FRB said it was activated on the 3/27, you are almost home. They have to mail it back to PD, and then the PD activates on their end. After that the PD either mails it to you or calls you to pick it up. I would imagine you will have it within the next two weeks. I just got my renewal (on an expired LTC), and it took over 3 months.

It seems in your case and in another recent case of two people applying on the same day in the same town, that it's all about how long it takes the state to check out your prints based on your personal background. Do they have prints on file already? Do you have a Juvenile background? Have you lived in other states, etc., etc.

The amount of time it takes for the checks to come back from the state seems to differ wildly, even when the same town licensing officer does the work.

Like the poster above me said, you're almost there. Then just think of the fun you'll have 5 years from now when you renew! :D

I have lived in the same town since I was 5 years old, Have a perfectly clean background, and they already had fingerprints due to my job. I just don't get it. The reason I am getting aggravated is because I cant even hunt now! I am supposed to be going coyote hunting this weekend in Maine. Although I have been doing some research and I believe I might be able to hunt under my 90 day grace period. However, laws are so sketchy that I feel like I could get locked up for doing this EVEN if im not doing anything wrong. I know one thing for sure, I am 100% renewing atleast a year in advance next time. What a miserable, shameful, pathetic excuse for a state. I will be moving to NH when I decide to buy a house.

Final timeline for mine (Mashpee, MA)

Called (relentlessly) Dec 15-21
Appointment Jan 2
State approved Feb 17
Released by town March 30

Fall River, MA

January 17th - Interviewed, Finger Printed, and info entered into the computer.

February 7th - Called FRB to see if anything had been completed. I was told it had only been entered into the system on the 17th and still pending review at local PD.

Next 6 weeks - Called FRB two more times and got the same answer as I did on the 7th.

March 20th - Called local PD to see what was going on..... I was asked when did you drop off your application, so I told them (Jan 17th) and they quickly replied we are still working on November applications. Conversation ended.

April 2nd - Still at local PD on day 53.

Assuming my math is correct and it takes 2 weeks to print / activate, I will not see my license until day 110!!!! When I dropped off my application I was told 3 months...

Does anyone know of someone I can contact to get this through a little faster?

Methuen

Jan. 25 - submitted application
Jan. 30 - LO called to schedule interview
Feb. 4 - Interviewed, photographed, finger printed
Mar. 1 - Fee check cashed
Apr. 2 - Called CJIS, still being reviewed by local PD. Left message for LO seeking update.

I think during the interview the LO mentioned 8-10 weeks, and and I just started week9 (I think) but assuming the LO approves me in MIRCS today, how long does the FRB review take? Is it a cursory glance or do they go back over my application and the PD's review with a fine tooth comb?

Oh well, at 9 weeks I can't really complain...yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming my math is correct and it takes 2 weeks to print / activate, I will not see my license until day 110!!!! When I dropped off my application I was told 3 months...

Well, if you're essentially quoted 90 days and it takes 110 days, it could be worse.

February 5th - Submitted application, got interviewed and fingerprinted.
March 1st - Check given to town goes through
March 15th - Pending review at local PD
March 29th - STILL Pending review at local PD
April 2nd - I now officially cry myself to sleep at night

Methuen

Well, if you're essentially quoted 90 days and it takes 110 days, it could be worse.

I should have specified this in my last post. I was referring to 110 business days not calendar days.

3 Months = 65 business days

5 Months = 110 business days

So yes, it is worse and unacceptable considering it should only be 40 business days.

So the 40 day response time is just being ignored? My LTC is stilling at my PD 'waiting for the MSP finger print process'. My 40 days is up on Thursday 4/4. I'm hoping my CoP hands me my LTC on Thursday or I'll have to start the appeals process.

So the 40 day response time is just being ignored? My LTC is stilling at my PD 'waiting for the MSP finger print process'. My 40 days is up on Thursday 4/4. I'm hoping my CoP hands me my LTC on Thursday or I'll have to start the appeals process.

You won't HAVE to start the appeals process - you'll have the legal right to do so. Whether you do or not is up to you, but any appeal must be made within the 90 day window that starts after the 40 day period from the initial application date (which is the time you turned the paperwork in, not the interview date, no matter what the local PD says). Any appeal after the 130th day (no matter what the reason for the delay) will be promptly dismissed.

Good luck to you.

Just called the number. Gave app. and prints , interview 2/1. still pending background check at PD. Guess they dont care about laws. WTF.

Haverhill, MA checking in.

2/26: Photo, finger prints, etc.
4/1: Awaiting approval at PD.
4/4: Approved, awaiting activation. Lady said another 2 weeks or so.

Just called the number. Gave app. and prints , interview 2/1. still pending background check at PD. Guess they dont care about laws. WTF.

a coworker just got his LTC 2 WEEKS AGO in clinton his finger prints were done last November might be awhile

41 days since finger prints in Rehoboth PD. Called the DCJ and they said it's still pending at the local PD level. Called my LO and she said that she had sent out my finger prints to the State Police. She is waiting on the prints to be cleared before she can process my background checks. She told me it'll take on average a 3 month wait to get an LTC, since the day of finger prints. Getting antsy...

Wilmington, MA

Mass Firearms Class 10/12/10 - This is NOT a typo - I took the class over two years ago and the Local PD accepted it - They used the standard MA application form.
Dropped off application to PD 12/10/12
Interview and prints 1/17/13
Check cashed - Unknown - Paid with Bank Check
Date of issue 3/27/13
Picked up today 4/5/13
LTC A - Restrictions None

The number worked great for me today! Got a very polite guy who took my details and promptly gave update on status. I applied and was finger printed Jan 15th, apparently my app is approved and waiting on printing. He said to call back if I'd not received notice on mail within 2 weeks!

Wakefield Ma

dropped off paper work 01/08/13
fingerprinted etc. 01/15/13
received unrestricted LTCA 04/11/13

Wilmington, MA

Mass Firearms Class 10/12/10 - This is NOT a typo - I took the class over two years ago and the Local PD accepted it - They used the standard MA application form.
Dropped off application to PD 12/10/12
Interview and prints 1/17/13
Check cashed - Unknown - Paid with Bank Check
Date of issue 3/27/13
Picked up today 4/5/13
LTC A - Restrictions None

116 days!

THE WILMINGTON POLICE BROKE THE LAW!

Wakefield Ma

dropped off paper work 01/08/13
fingerprinted etc. 01/15/13
received unrestricted LTCA 04/11/13

93 days!

THE WAKEFIELD POLICE BROKE THE LAW!

I guess laws are not to be followed any more, at least according to these two agencies?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom