From GOAL: LTC/FID Application Status Check

Haverhill, MA update:

2/26: Photo, finger prints, etc.

4/1: Awaiting approval at PD.
4/4: Approved, awaiting activation. Lady said another 2 weeks or so.
4/12: Got the call, picked it up. No restrictions.

Haverhill, MA update:

2/26: Photo, finger prints, etc.
4/1: Awaiting approval at PD.
4/4: Approved, awaiting activation. Lady said another 2 weeks or so.
4/12: Got the call, picked it up. No restrictions.

45 days!

THE HAVERHILL POLICE BROKE THE LAW!

1 minute and 32 seconds to find out that LO hasn't sent it to the state yet. Still under review by the town. I've had my license for at least 30 years. and started renewal process around 19 February in a green town.

Fall River LTC Timeline:

1/17 - Interview, Photo, Prints, ect.
2/05 - Check Cashed
4/2 - License issued
4/18 - License received (Class A - No Restrictions [smile])

Total number of business days: 65

Note to anyone applying for an LTC in Fall River: The website states that walk-in appointments are on Tuesdays only, from 8 A.M - 1 P.M. As of January 17th the days and times are, Tuesdays and Thursdays 8 A.M - 11 A.M. Not sure why the website still states Tuesdays only.

Abington, MA

2/27/13 - Interveiw, fingerprints, and picture
3/18/13 - Called FRB still pending at local PD
4/3/13 - Called FRB still pending at local PD
4/22/13 - Called FRB today approved and waiting to be printed and mailed

I like seeing how long it takes in each town.

I like pointing out that the police broke the laws, yet expect US to follow them!

See:
1 minute and 32 seconds to find out that LO hasn't sent it to the state yet. Still under review by the town. I've had my license for at least 30 years. and started renewal process around 19 February in a green town.

62 days!

THE (as yet unnamed, "green town") POLICE BROKE THE LAW!

Fall River LTC Timeline:

1/17 - Interview, Photo, Prints, ect.
2/05 - Check Cashed
4/2 - License issued
4/18 - License received (Class A - No Restrictions [smile])

Total number of business days: 65

Note to anyone applying for an LTC in Fall River: The website states that walk-in appointments are on Tuesdays only, from 8 A.M - 1 P.M. As of January 17th the days and times are, Tuesdays and Thursdays 8 A.M - 11 A.M. Not sure why the website still states Tuesdays only.

65 days!

THE FALL RIVER POLICE BROKE THE LAW!

Abington, MA

2/27/13 - Interveiw, fingerprints, and picture
3/18/13 - Called FRB still pending at local PD
4/3/13 - Called FRB still pending at local PD
4/22/13 - Called FRB today approved and waiting to be printed and mailed

54 days!

THE ABINGTON POLICE BROKE THE LAW!

LOL

It is simply impossible for the police to comply with the law and issue a license. They MUST get and review reports from various agencies before they issue a license. They could, however, simply deny the licenses.

The system as it is set up also doesn't exactly follow the law either. The CoP does not actually issue the license, the FRB issues the license after a further review of the local department's review of the reports. I know, it's a long sentence.

Then on top of it all, the FRB batches licenses and send them out to particular towns on particular days of the week. Our town's licenses are printed on Wednesdays and arrive at the PD either Saturday or Monday, depending on the mail system. So if you miss by a day, it goes an extra week.

By the way, I don't think you're accurate in your interpretation of the law WRT the timeframes. Since you're such a stickler for the law, the law states that the CoP must either issue or deny in writing a license within 40 days, it says nothing about delivering the license.

In my wife's case the license was OK'd by the CoP on a Wednesday, approved by the FRB on Friday, and the FRB "issued" the license on the following Wednesday and mailed it to the local PD, who then called her to pick it up the following Monday.

So for your timeframe in calling out the various police departments, you'd need further information than you have; the date that the CoP gave his/her final OK, or the date that the license was "issued" which is also printed on the license.

Technically under the law, they could issue the licenses then stick them into drawers for 5 years and never hand it to you.

Or just deny them, in writing, due to any reason they see fit.

You really should stop blindly blaming the police; they spend hours on each application and receive nothing but aggravation for it. In my town, the LO is a great guy and kept her informed of everything along the way and called early in the AM the date that it showed up. Blaming the local police departments -in most cases- is like blaming the cashier at McD's for how long it takes your fries to cook.

They're just pawns in this game, like we are.

So the restriction of issuing the license within 40 days has a really big hole in it. Here's the wording for your perusal.

Source: General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131

While the Colonel has 30 days to do this, there is no penalty for failure to do so.

(e) Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms. In searching for any disqualifying history of the applicant, the colonel shall utilize, or cause to be utilized, files maintained by the department of probation and statewide and nationwide criminal justice, warrant and protection order information systems and files including, but not limited to, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The colonel shall inquire of the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is disqualified from being so licensed. If the information available to the colonel does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law, he shall certify such fact, in writing, to the licensing authority within said 30 day period.

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

That's the great big GAPING loophole. If the Colonel of the State Police does not certify in Writing that you are not prohibited from getting your license, the local authority CANNOT issue/approve the license.

I was told it's the AFIS system that is the current bottleneck, running 4-5 weeks on average.

I wonder if some departments make the requests to the various departments (CORI, BoP, DMH, MSP) serially, waiting for one response before making the next request, or if they're all done at the same time. I don't know if the town controls that aspect or not, I didn't ask how that works, but I get the feeling that it's a completely manual process.

But whether the process takes 55 days or only 40, I imagine that difference is the least of our problems to fight at the moment, so process improvement for licensing might not be on anyone's to-do list?

I wish 4-5 weeks .. I'm on week 12 and it's still pending review background checks, and there are a few others
that have been waiting longer than me.

Im on week 12 the PD finally sent it to FRB. FRB says 2-3 weeks more. Ill belive it when i see it. Too bad the PD just issued someone I know in town who has a towing company a new LTC A in 3 weeks. Guess its who you know. Wish I went to the town where my business is instead of trying to get to know the pd in the town I live in. The clinton PD just lost a ton of respect in my eyes.

I am a little confused at this point. The issuing officer initially told me EIGHT weeks but when I sent him an Email at the seven week point he said it was going to be twelve weeks! I called the sate a few times to be told it was still with the town and had not been submitted to them.
I called the state again last week and was told I had been approved as of 4/9/13. I guess my question is what the next step is going to be and how long it's going to take. I mean WTH. It's been two weeks since the approval so how much longer should I expect to wait. Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me. Freaking ARG!!!!!

they told me 8 weeks too. Im no expert but I would say you should be really close. If its approved and printed i believe it goes back to pd to activate it then they mail or call you to come pick it up. prob 1 - 2 weeks more.

I will post this again westport pd took only 5 weeks from appointment to in my hand went in mid march got it mid april for a renewal

Went in for interview on first week of January, photo and fingerprints
Check cashed about 3 weeks later
Called state beginning of March and I was told all set it has been O.K. and sent to your local PD.
Waited 2 weeks before calling my local PD, and was yelled at for calling them and the state is lying and my application is still at the state. This woman, not a PO went OFF, how dare I call them; she will call me when app is ready.
It’s been 6 week since I’ve been reprimanded for calling.
I’m now on 16 weeks.
Should I be contacting a lawyer?

I called today and was told police were waiting for my backround check. Does this mean still pending at police station?
Yes

Too bad bro.......

C'mon be nice shooter...

Went in for interview on first week of January, photo and fingerprints
Check cashed about 3 weeks later
Called state beginning of March and I was told all set it has been O.K. and sent to your local PD.
Waited 2 weeks before calling my local PD, and was yelled at for calling them and the state is lying and my application is still at the state. This woman, not a PO went OFF, how dare I call them; she will call me when app is ready.
It’s been 6 week since I’ve been reprimanded for calling.
I’m now on 16 weeks.
Should I be contacting a lawyer?

Yes.

We live in the green town of Mashpee. Our timeline:
-February 20th- Application submitted, fingerprinted (digitally and ink), photographed. Told we would be contacted in 8 weeks by LO.
-April 9th- Called to check in with LO since it was week 8, told us we were both approved, and that it usually takes another 1-2 weeks for her to receive.
-April 17th-Repeated unanswered calls to LO throughout the week, finally got through and she said she has not received.
-April 23rd- Called DCJIS to check status. Was told mine had been approved, activated, and sent to my LO on April 18th. We are told Joe's is 'inactive' and 'pending'. ?? Waiting for LO to be in her office tonight to see if it is there.

Any insight on why applications would be separated? Has anyone been approved by their department/LO only to be subsequently denied by the state?

Any and all insight is appreciated : )

I'm wondering if the people who have delays answered yes on question 10. I answered yes and have been delayed more than others in town.

I'm wondering if the people who have delays answered yes on question 10. I answered yes and have been delayed more than others in town.

Absolutely, i knew of at least 5 other people from my small, green town and they all answered "NO" on question 10 and they each had their LTC in hand in exactly 3-4 weeks....

I unfortunately had to answer "YES" to question 10 and sure enough i waited 7 weeks to get my LTC-A Unrestricted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I am a perfect example of this as well. Had to answer yes to question 10. Waiting longer than others in my town.

Yes, Joe did have to answer yes to question 10. Has anyone ever been denied after being approved by your town and the state police? Does the DCJIS ( or whatever entity that has the application right now) have the authority to deny it?

Yes, Joe did have to answer yes to question 10. Has anyone ever been denied after being approved by your town and the state police? Does the DCJIS ( or whatever entity that has the application right now) have the authority to deny it?
In the final stage (after the go ahead from the local PD), it is in "approved by local pd" status. At that point I believe that they just check that the local PD has crossed their T's and dotted their I's assembling all of the info from the various agencies. Usually takes just a couple of days from them to OK it, then it goes into a pending issuance and printing and mailing state of some sort before it's "issued" (printed) and mailed back to the local PD.

The terminology the person on the phone uses matters; so when you call in, ask him/her what it means and double check exactly what they say. The statuses sounded very similar to me.

Last edited:
Thanks, Quiet. Been unable to find any relevant info anywhere on the web, or even the exact procedure in how any permits are processed. Wish anxiety and pervasive ADD due to excessive wait times could be grounds to sue!

Back
Top Bottom