Flash hider vs. no flash hider

At night, either flash is significant enough to give your position away. The larger flash would be a greater concern to you eyes and adjustement to night vision and darkness.

The whole point of a flash hider is to shield the user from the intense flash.

well that and to make it much more evil and scary looking, and according to the crafters of the MA AWB, it also makes the gun fire 3 times faster (a little known fact I know). but that harmless looking slotted metal part on the end of your rifle is also a known cause for cancer in the the state of CA.

The FSC556 is worth every penny and more for MA residents based of reviews and video proof. I have one waiting to go on my upper.

One thing to consider with any flash hider is noise.
Although I have not seen any official study and data, it seems to be an accepted fact that a flash hider will make it louder for the shooter. As the blast is redirected back towards the shooter than without where all of the blast is projected outwards away from the shooter..

Just something to think about.

One thing to consider with any flash hider is noise.
Although I have not seen any official study and data, it seems to be an accepted fact that a flash hider will make it louder for the shooter. As the blast is redirected back towards the shooter than without where all of the blast is projected outwards away from the shooter..

Just something to think about.

Depends on the FH. Supposedly FH's like the Noveske jobs direct muzzle blast away from the shooter.

There are too many FHs/Brakes on the market to really make a blanket
statement about all of them.

All I know is that on ARs the bleeping izzy brake and the mini-Y comps are, in a word, obnoxious. [laugh]

-Mike

Another thing to consider is that the ammo you use will greatly influence the amount of muzzle flash you get. I've seen some well taken pictures somewhere of drastically different muzzle flash signatures from 5.56 NATO ammo from an un-flash-suppressed 16" AR. The differences between manufacturers is often pretty big.

-Mike

They are still illegal for post-bans though, right?

what do you mean? It's not a flash hider, it's a compensator with flash suppressing abilities. Read the ATF letter on PWS's website, approved for use everywhere. [smile] Perfectly legal for post ban.

what do you mean? It's not a flash hider, it's a compensator with flash suppressing abilities. Read the ATF letter on PWS's website, approved for use everywhere. [smile] Perfectly legal for post ban.

Sweet. Anyone know of a way for me to get a barrel threaded? My Bushmaster wants one.

There are too many FHs/Brakes on the market to really make a blanket
statement about all of them.

-Mike

You are correct.. there may be some out there that do not. So, a blanket statement is probably a bit off..

But I would think that by and large, a flash hider that redirects the blast in a direction other than forward will direct more sound towards the shooter making it louder.

On something like a .50 or a short bbl 308+, a muzzle device certainly will help with managability. But for those that may be concerned with their hearing it may just be something to consider.

Sweet. Anyone know of a way for me to get a barrel threaded? My Bushmaster wants one.

Note that it must be permanently affixed to a post-ban AR here behind in occupied MA. Simply threading the barrel and screwing the brake on is a no-no. But any gunsmith who can thread the barrel can also solder the brake on.

The FSC556 is worth every penny and more for MA residents based of reviews and video proof. I have one waiting to go on my upper.

Thanks for that information - it comes at just the right time for me. In the back of my mind I knew I had seen the FSC556 somewhere but I could not find the info. I have an AR upper that I need to put a muzzle brake on before I can assemble it into a rifle - and on my list is a Sig 556 in MA legal config.

I will be putting in an order for an FSC556 this afternoon.

Note that it must be permanently affixed to a post-ban AR here behind in occupied MA. Simply threading the barrel and screwing the brake on is a no-no. But any gunsmith who can thread the barrel can also solder the brake on.

How do the gunsmiths usually permanently attach a muzzle device? Do they use silver solder on the threads to permanently attach it? All of the rifles I have with "permanently attached" muzzle breaks really don't show any evidence of how they are permanently attached.

Thank god for the search function.

This is exactly the thread I was hoping for. I just came across the PWS FSC556 through a google search. It's just what the doctor ordered to complete the "pucker factor" of my EBR that's on order.

Two questions:

Is it possible for a gunsmith to cut a 16" barrel down slightly and thread/attach the compensator? I'd love to keep the barrel/compensator combined length around 16" total.

Which local gunsmith would you recommend to complete the work?

Thanks.

Thank god for the search function.

This is exactly the thread I was hoping for. I just came across the PWS FSC556 through a google search. It's just what the doctor ordered to complete the "pucker factor" of my EBR that's on order.

Two questions:

Is it possible for a gunsmith to cut a 16" barrel down slightly and thread/attach the compensator? I'd love to keep the barrel/compensator combined length around 16" total.

Which local gunsmith would you recommend to complete the work?

Thanks.

I just got a couple of those in the mail yesterday. They look pretty tacticool - and I am hoping they work as well as the videos on the primaryweapons site demonstrate.

Back
Top Bottom