• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Revolver?

Get you one of these....
1577196808043.png
Or one of these....
44.jpg

And then you need one of these in the same caliber...
big boy.jpg

I have a 4" -686 and a 6-1/2 -29. If I can see a target, I can hit it. Might not be with the first shot, but I can ding steel at 100 yards all day long. The below target was shot at 50' - off hand with 44 mag

44 MAG.jpg

My 29.
Model 29.JPG

Attachments

• 1577196902755.png
    1577196902755.png
    351.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1577196974857.png
    1577196974857.png
    351.6 KB · Views: 4
Lots of good stuff in that thread. I'm going to start looking for a .357/.38 with a 4" barrel or less. Need to check ballistics vs. barrel length on the .357.

Sounds like a good plan.

This is the shop I have frequented.

Nothing on the list at the moment that might fit your bill but I have had pretty good luck with keeping an eye on things and picking up decently priced used stuff. Maybe I just have similar taste to whomever is putting up things for consignment there or who does the acquisitions.

Ive been eying the lot of surplus? Model 10s floating around recently. A couple local shops have them for 325-350. It would be at the bottom of my choices defensively so id only ever shoot .38 at the range.

Leave the governor alone lol. Yeah it's a range toy......but that's really all it is. If you get a revolver in 38/357 it becomes a nice range gun but also a very good defensive fire arm as well.

If your budget is $500:

1. For a 357/38 full size revolver your going to be looking used for a decent one line Smith or Ruger......or for a bit over your budget you could get a new Ruger gp100

2. If it's truly a range toy I'd suggest a 22lr.....for all the reasons a 22lr is a good range / target gun. If you go 22lr I'd recommend a single action Ruger like the single 10 ......or one of the convertible models that has the 22mag cylinder included so you could shoot some 22 mag as well.

The single action revolver is a not for everyone.....some people just think they are totally antiquated. As a defensive fire arm that's true but as a target gun they are alot of fun in 22lr and mine serves as a tool when I'm small game hunting. Also a Ruger single action is absolutely the easiest gun to keep clean that exists. The cylinder comes out by pulling one pin and the gun is unbelievably easy to clean.

If you really want a range toy and ammo costs are not a concern a 44magnum Ruger Blackhawk can be found used in your price range pretty readily. Those things are tanks and can handle HOT 44 mag if you ever think you'll reload.

Edit....just saw your not into sa revolvers. That's a shame lol. They are a great fun range gun.

Anyway if your not into sa......get a gp100 or 686 and you'll be happy as hell.

Sound advice. If you're looking for a range toy I'd go w/ the GP100 or 686, maybe the SP101 if you're on a budget. The LCR is a carry gun, not really a range toy (I have one, I love it for what it is). Make sure you understand the implications of getting a 9mm revolver, there are other factors to consider like moon clips, you generally don't just load 9mm into a revolver like you do w/ traditional revolver rounds.

Sound advice. If you're looking for a range toy I'd go w/ the GP100 or 686, maybe the SP101 if you're on a budget. The LCR is a carry gun, not really a range toy (I have one, I love it for what it is). Make sure you understand the implications of getting a 9mm revolver, there are other factors to consider like moon clips, you generally don't just load 9mm into a revolver like you do w/ traditional revolver rounds.
True the lcr and also j frames I would not call range toys. They are a bit tough to shoot well. They do serve a purpose.....a carry an sp101 daily but also own a j frame that gets jacket pocket carried from time to time. Imo for personal protection when out and about a 5 shot revolver is a great choice.....when potential threats would be up close and personal.

I keep telling myself if I buy another revolver The SW shown here, with the single six taking a close secound
13AF5B44-0132-4770-9EFB-9AE8431FC7C1.jpeg

Get you one of these....
View attachment 320028
Or one of these....
View attachment 320031

And then you need one of these in the same caliber...
View attachment 320032

I have a 4" -686 and a 6-1/2 -29. If I can see a target, I can hit it. Might not be with the first shot, but I can ding steel at 100 yards all day long. The below target was shot at 50' - off hand with 44 mag

View attachment 320034

My 29.
View attachment 320035

I'm doing just the opposite, have the Henry .357, now looking at a revolver to match. I've had a 6" 686 in the past, wish I still had it. Was a heck of a lot cheaper 30 years ago LOL. So these revolver threads interest me, still trying to decide which one to get.

I shot the Governor and was unimpressed with the accuracy. You should try as many single and double action revolvers as you can to see which grip shape you prefer. If it's not for defense, the fact that a single action is slower doesn't matter. I'd start with a medium frame all steel .357.

You can't go wrong with a Smith, model 19, 66, or a 686. I presently have a 2.5",66, a 7 shot, 3", 686 and a 8 shot, 5", R8. All are great shooters. I'm partial to the Smith, 629 and .45 long colt, 625, with warmer hand loads also, but a bit big for carry.

Save up a couple more bucks and get yourself a S&W 686. I was never a revolver guy until I got my hands on a 686. I have a 4 inch and absolutely love it. Super accurate and one of the best out of the box triggers out there IMO.

I would disagree on best out of the box triggers, at least w/ the new 686s. I much prefer the Ruger GP100 trigger, particularly in double action, to the 686 (I have both).

Pretty fond of this 6" 586. The trigger is great. Single action, I can pretty reliably ring a 2/3 size IPSC steel silhouette at 100 yards, standing. With a couple of speedloaders, it's a hoot on a dueling tree.

Trying to conceal carry it is right out. But it's a blast to run at the range with a variety of 38 and 357 handloads. I echo the 686 and 66/19 suggestions. Model 10s are cool, but I think you will soon want the option of running 357 through whatever you get in the K/L frame variety. J frames are a different animal altogether, and you should get one of those too.

586_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom