• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Revolver?

I forgot to mention that I have a 3", pro series, J frame, Model 60-16. It has a adjustable rear sight and front night sight. Single action is great out of the box and double action stages very nicely. It's suprisingly accurate for a J frame.

Leave the governor alone lol. Yeah it's a range toy......but that's really all it is. If you get a revolver in 38/357 it becomes a nice range gun but also a very good defensive fire arm as well.

Not sure why you think a governor is a range toy? With capability of shooting 410 there are some nice defensive loads out there. And you can shoot 45LC for crying out loud. With a short barrel and rubber grip retention would be in your favor if a struggle came about.

It is a great time defense weapon and fun to shoot other calibers through it.

Not sure why you think a governor is a range toy? With capability of shooting 410 there are some nice defensive loads out there. And you can shoot 45LC for crying out loud. With a short barrel and rubber grip retention would be in your favor if a struggle came about.

It is a great time defense weapon and fun to shoot other calibers through it.
The 410 is barely potent on small game. I know.....I hunt with one quite often and have to plan shots that are close up. I've fired a friend's and it's nose heavy as f*** and HUGE. Sure a 410 slug is close to 44mag energy but even with the rifling on the governor the slugs are not accurate....I know.....I've tested them. 45 lc sure.......it's a potent cartridge...so just buy a 45 lc da revolver for personal defense because using 410 as a defensive cartridge is not a good choice.

It's my opinion.....and I'm entitled to it. I'm certainly not the only person that has this opinion either.

The 410 is barely potent on small game. I know.....I hunt with one quite often and have to plan shots that are close up. I've fired a friend's and it's nose heavy as f*** and HUGE. Sure a 410 slug is close to 44mag energy but even with the rifling on the governor the slugs are not accurate....I know.....I've tested them. 45 lc sure.......it's a potent cartridge...so just buy a 45 lc da revolver for personal defense because using 410 as a defensive cartridge is not a good choice.

It's my opinion.....and I'm entitled to it. I'm certainly not the only person that has this opinion either.
The governor, the judge ... they s*ck a**.

I hope someone makes a copy and calls it The Mayor.

The only thing that could make the Governor and the Judge awesome is a bayonet attachment. So you can charge at the target when you go change it and shoot birdshot at it.

Last edited:
The model 19 just looks/feels perfect to me. I would go for a pre lock 4" 19 if you're gonna feed it mostly .38. If you wanna blast away with .357 all day, the 586 is a good choice.

The model 19 just looks/feels perfect to me. I would go for a pre lock 4" 19 if you're gonna feed it mostly .38. If you wanna blast away with .357 all day, the 586 is a good choice.
The new Model 66 has been strengthened and will stand a lot of .357. I find that the K-frame balances better for me than the L-frame.

Get you one of these....
View attachment 320028
Or one of these....
View attachment 320031

And then you need one of these in the same caliber...
View attachment 320032

I have a 4" -686 and a 6-1/2 -29. If I can see a target, I can hit it. Might not be with the first shot, but I can ding steel at 100 yards all day long. The below target was shot at 50' - off hand with 44 mag

View attachment 320034

My 29.
View attachment 320035

Its almost mandatory to buy a lever gun in the same caliber as a wheel gun.
Too bad there weren't "package deals" out there that didn't cost as much as a used car does these days

Its almost mandatory to buy a lever gun in the same caliber as a wheel gun.
Too bad there weren't "package deals" out there that didn't cost as much as a used car does these days
My son bought a Henry 357/38 steel carbine for his 18th birthday first gun purchase. It's a handy little carbine lever. He had some cycling issues out of the box but after it went back to the factory and a 10 day turnaround it cycles perfectly now.

This was yesterday 25 yards using my reloads.....158 grain hard cast lead round nose flat point over 3.7 grains 700x powder. It's a sweet little carbine.....and a handy rifle.....short but accurate. 357 mag is quite potent out of a carbine length Barrell too. Shooting 38 special is like shooting 22lr......no recoil at all and very fun.

20191229_191446.jpg

My son bought a Henry 357/38 steel carbine for his 18th birthday first gun purchase. It's a handy little carbine lever. He had some cycling issues out of the box but after it went back to the factory and a 10 day turnaround it cycles perfectly now.

This was yesterday 25 yards using my reloads.....158 grain hard cast lead round nose flat point over 3.7 grains 700x powder. It's a sweet little carbine.....and a handy rifle.....short but accurate. 357 mag is quite potent out of a carbine length Barrell too. Shooting 38 special is like shooting 22lr......no recoil at all and very fun.

View attachment 321091

Nice.
Been stashing away for a henry.
I had a Rossi, sold it. Great novelty gun but horrible for anything past 25 yds. Couldn't nail down a load for the 1:30 twist it had.

Nice.
Been stashing away for a henry.
I had a Rossi, sold it. Great novelty gun but horrible for anything past 25 yds. Couldn't nail down a load for the 1:30 twist it had.
Henry makes a great product. I have a 22, a 410 shotgun and my son has the 357. They are not cheap but amazing fit and finish and solid built 100% American made.

Yes we had the cycle issues with the 357 carbine but Henry made it right in 10 days turnaround.....and it's perfect now.

Accuracy......with 357 mag factory loads he can ring a 8 inch plate at 100 yards all day no problem.

Can't ask for much more than that out of a pistol cartridge carbine imo

If the OP hasn't chosen one yet, Taurus makes a ported 7 shot .357 that comes with a spare 9mm cylinder and the price online is around $420. Don't expect great accuracy with the 9mm tho, not unless you want to do extensive testing with a variety off ammo.

Under $500 for a .357 is a tall order, in fact I would recommend you stick with .38 because the price of the guns goes down drastically. $250 for a S&W Model 10 is common.

A lot of people don't like the .410 revolvers, but I think the Public Defender is the best of them all. It's the smallest out of all of them and big bore, low pressure rounds like .45 Colt don't seem to care what the barrel length is because the velocity increase is minuscule with defense ammo and the fast burning powders used.

There is an issue in finding a .45 Colt DA revolver as small as the Public Defender tho. Taurus made one, but surprise, doesn't anymore. Charter currently makes one, and... that's it.

I've tried both 3 and 4 pellet .410 000 buck and 3 pellet is very soft shooting... and inaccurate while the 4 pellet stuff has a stiff recoil, but it hits what it's aimed at. .45 Colt I have not tried yet, but I've yet to read or hear anything that is critical of it out to 15 yards. The benefit of the .410 over a .45 Colt is that you have acceptable accuracy with .45 Colt out to an acceptable defense distance, but you have the option of shooting shot in larger size and quantity than you can a .45 Colt only revolver.

That said, you can load a .45 Colt case with two .45 caliber round balls and have a multi shot ammo (that's stupid accurate even out to 50 yards), but you have to reload that ammunition as no ammunition company makes such a thing. So unless you like reloading, the Judge is your only option for multiple projectiles.

IMO, the Judge is just fun to shoot and cool to own. Wait... where have I heard that recently?

Ruger-57.jpg

Last edited:
Let’s face it they’re all range toys, I carry on the principal that I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have.

During winter months I have carried my governor, trr8 etc but they are mainly for range fun days. If I was the type of person to buy firearms and post on social media I would most likely have more revolvers than semi autos.

They would mainly be S&W performance center revolvers with a couple of odd balls like the 4 inch Rhino which by the way carries fine as well. The Rhino is odd that the barrel is at the 6 o’clock position rather than then the 12 o’clock. The only love hate relationship I have is with my 44 magnum scandium frame, it’s not so much the recoil it just that the recoil bites. Reloading helps with this one because you can lighten the load a little.

I’m looking for PC 357 snub nose scandium frame. I see them here and there but as to be at the right price.

Harry

SP101 is a good budget choice for indoor or the 50 yd range, but I moved on to putting money in the hole in the water with a boat vs time at the range putting holes in paper. I'll still do limited range time, but putting holes in paper at short ranges gets boring fast, for me. I found long range SA only hunting revolvers to be the most fun and challenging. 12" steel plate on the 100 yd range with a 44 or 454 does it, so does a 1" shoot-and-see with a 22 rifle at 100 yds. A dozen or so clays on a 50 yd burm is ok, until the yahoo's with their AK's start blowing them up. That's why I don't do weekends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom