First Revolver?

Shawnyc

NES Member
Merry Christmas Eve!

Never thought I would want a revolver, but the time has come. Problem is I have no idea why. Most likely it would be a range toy as I typically carry a G19 or a Shield, and my home defense setup is a long gun. So I guess it will be mostly a range toy, although I suppose I could carry it if I shoot it well. Basically I don't know anything about revolvers and have no idea what I want. S&W Governor looks cool and versatile. Ruger LCR comes in 9mm which seems cool as I don't currently have a need to buy .357 or .38. Anyways I'll stop rambling. Just looking for some revolver input/advice/cool stories. Budget is around $500.
Thanks!

EDIT - I don't really have interest in SA only revolvers.

Last edited:
I started with a Ruger single six, then bought another I found them very easy to shoot and easy on the wallet. I then stepped it and bought a cherry S&W 28-2 and really enjoy shooting 38/357 out of that.

Do you like surplus guns?
Do you handload?

If yes to both, I'd get something weird like a M1892 French revolver, a Type 26, or a pre-war Enfield No. 2 Mk I (no star). Something similar to that but less weird would be a used Colt Police Positive or a S&W Model 10; I can't remember if those are in the $400-600 ballpark. If the gun's just going to be used for casually punching paper and you're not trying to go with a .22, what you get doesn't really matter as long as you like the gun.

Barring that, I'd get a .22 revolver to have something to learn proper grip on a revolver, etc.

Edit: the one thing I'd suggest against is getting a pocket or "night stand" revolver with like a 2" to 3" barrel and five shots. As a newb to revolvers, the last thing you want is a gun with a horrendous trigger pull, has strong recoil, and not enough surface area to grab onto. So I'd say no on a Governor.

Merry Christmas Eve!

Never thought I would want a revolver, but the time has come. Problem is I have no idea why. Most likely it would be a range toy as I typically carry a G19 or a Shield, and my home defense setup is a long gun. So I guess it will be mostly a range toy, although I suppose I could carry it if I shoot it well. Basically I don't know anything about revolvers and have no idea what I want. S&W Governor looks cool and versatile. Ruger LCR comes in 9mm which seems cool as I don't currently have a need to buy .357 or .38. Anyways I'll stop rambling. Just looking for some revolver input/advice/cool stories. Budget is around $500.
Thanks!
Leave the governor alone lol. Yeah it's a range toy......but that's really all it is. If you get a revolver in 38/357 it becomes a nice range gun but also a very good defensive fire arm as well.

If your budget is $500:

1. For a 357/38 full size revolver your going to be looking used for a decent one line Smith or Ruger......or for a bit over your budget you could get a new Ruger gp100

2. If it's truly a range toy I'd suggest a 22lr.....for all the reasons a 22lr is a good range / target gun. If you go 22lr I'd recommend a single action Ruger like the single 10 ......or one of the convertible models that has the 22mag cylinder included so you could shoot some 22 mag as well.

The single action revolver is a not for everyone.....some people just think they are totally antiquated. As a defensive fire arm that's true but as a target gun they are alot of fun in 22lr and mine serves as a tool when I'm small game hunting. Also a Ruger single action is absolutely the easiest gun to keep clean that exists. The cylinder comes out by pulling one pin and the gun is unbelievably easy to clean.

If you really want a range toy and ammo costs are not a concern a 44magnum Ruger Blackhawk can be found used in your price range pretty readily. Those things are tanks and can handle HOT 44 mag if you ever think you'll reload.

Edit....just saw your not into sa revolvers. That's a shame lol. They are a great fun range gun.

Anyway if your not into sa......get a gp100 or 686 and you'll be happy as hell.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Eve!

Thanks!

EDIT - I don't really have interest in SA only revolvers.

If its a range toy, don't get an LCR. Not what it is designed for. (I own one in .38)

I have an SP101 in .22 and it is great. Not worrying about the "will my gun like this ammo".

A .357 gives you the option of something different, and a legitimate all uses gun. I have a speed six which is a nice solid item, could carry it if I wanted but I would have to find a left handed holster for it ...

All of my revolvers could be found for under $500 used most likely.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Eve!

Thanks!
For a range toy, all real calibers start with the number 4, unless it starts with 5.
For carry (concealed I'm assuming) anything 2" will work.
S&W makes a few 8 shot (627, 327, 929) and a 2" 7 shot 9mm (986) but all are well over your budget of $500
Charter Arms make some good inexpensive stuff. I had a 5 shot .44 spl that was less than $500 new.
Usually theres a few wheel guns in the w.t.s.

For a range toy, all real calibers start with the number 4, unless it starts with 5.
For carry (concealed I'm assuming) anything 2" will work.
S&W makes a few 8 shot (627, 327, 929) and a 2" 7 shot 9mm (986) but all are well over your budget of $500
Charter Arms make some good inexpensive stuff. I had a 5 shot .44 spl that was less than $500 new.
Usually theres a few wheel guns in the w.t.s.

OP should check out this thread for some inspiration on what he wants

Here is a pic of my speed six, was a fun find when I walked in looking to ask for help finding a security six and walked out with that.

Got a speed six, was looking for a security six but this popped up and "here in front of me" won out.

View attachment 217943

Ruger LCR comes in 9mm which seems cool as I don't currently have a need to buy .357 or .38. ...... Budget is around $500.
This is probably your best bet. I bought the LCR9 for the same reason: revolver experience with pistol ammo. Price is right especially on the used market.

Since your post said you might carry it if you were proficient with it, that rules out most .22LR guns, even though I think a S&W Model 17 is a great range toy, I would not carry one for self defense.

S&W Model 10 will shoot almost anything in the .38Spl family, I would not feed it a steady diet of +P ammo. Wad cutters and round nosed lead reloads for range days will shoot fine.

J Frames IMHO are not good range guns so I am leaving them off.

I am a huge fan of K Frame revolvers.... they shoot anything in the .357Mag/.38Spl family so you have lots of loads to pick. For teaching a single round of .38Spl wad cutter is a good place to start.... if you can work up the .357Mag all the better.

S&W has started making a Model 19 "Classic" that is an updated version of the old Model 19... if I didn't already own a Model 13 that would be high on my list. Carrying a K frame can be done, but when I carried one in the 1980's I never carried Magnum loads in it, 38+P was easier to get placement consistently in my case.

Then there are the hand cannons in the 4X calibers and .500S&W ....

@Michael J. Spangler probably has an opinion or 10 on the subject.
Yep.
get one of each.
If you really want a range toy I would look for a nice S&W model 10 or 15 in 38 special. Cheap to shoot. They can both handle +P loads if you ever want to carry them. Holsters, speeloaders and stocks can be found in every gun stores junk bin for next to nothing.
I‘m not a huge fan of Ruger double actions but it’s only because I don’t think they have as nice a look to them. Aesthetics it a big part of the decision for me, given that the rest of the functionality is the same.

whatever you do if you get a good deal on a quality used revolver it will hold its value and as you learn and decide what you really prefer in a revolver you can always sell it and buy something different.

Back
Top Bottom