first firearm suggestions..?

Hi- all,

new to forum and recently recieved my LTC-A-ALP. looking for suggestions for first ( for now ) firearm? would be looking for something that will use at range to improve and possilbe CCW, also left handed, not that it truly matters but was looking left friendly, was thinking M&P ( 9 or .40)

Hi- all,

new to forum and recently recieved my LTC-A-ALP. looking for suggestions for first ( for now ) firearm? would be looking for something that will use at range to improve and possilbe CCW, also left handed, not that it truly matters but was looking left friendly, was thinking M&P ( 9 or .40)

Good choice for a new firearm. Just make sure you have a trigger job done.

The M&P is a great gun and would make a an awesome first gun. I had an M&P 9mm for my first firearm..extremely comfortable in the hand and a good bargain for the modest price. However, overtime I realized I preferred (and shot) single action pistols MUCH better. I was grouping 3-4 inches with the DA (and shitty MA compliant trigger) with the M&P, and while in partial it may have been due to the MA trigger, I was grouping 1 1/2 to 2 inches at the same distance with my S&W 1911. Needless to say I sold the M&P, but only because I decided it wasn't my cup of tea. I'd suggest going to a range that rents firearms, and shooting both DA and SA pistols...get a feel for different platforms, before making your decision. I wish I had done that my first time around

Stag Arms makes lefty AR15's. Every shooter should have one.

As far as pistols go, I can't recommend the M&P. If you search my name you'll see the problems I have had with my Performance Center M&P Pro right out of the box. I actually loaned it to a friend and he's had it for a few weeks (maybe more) and I don't miss it.

I actually know of two other guys with M&P problems. That's a pretty high percentage when I consider how many Glock owners I know that don't have any. I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest. Many people have M&P's and they are fine. I'm just a bit weary after having my issues with them.

Might consider going somewhere you can rent a couple of different types first.See what fits your hand and points for you. There's a few...the S and W range comes to mind. Besides you can try a 1911 there also....just sayin'

I would shy away from larger calibers in your first gun, as the recoil will make it that much harder to learn to shoot (not to mention the additional cost and fatigue of shooting a larger caliber). I'd say don't go bigger than 9mm or .38 special.

I would also HIGHLY recommend you get two guns - your primary firearm, and a .22 in a similar platform. You'll shoot much more, much longer, and for much less money, and your skills will improve much faster if you train with a .22.

Otherwise, I still think the BEST all around first gun is a 4" .357 magnum loaded with .38 special (S&W 686 was my personal choice). Easy to operate, easy to maintain, accurate, drop dead reliable and capable of most applications.

Might consider going somewhere you can rent a couple of different types first.See what fits your hand and points for you. There's a few...the S and W range comes to mind. Besides you can try a 1911 there also....just sayin'
This is the best advice. To paraphrase my old Drill Sergeant: Opinions on the best firearm are like butt holes; everyone has one and they all think their's doesn't stink. Try a bunch of guns and DON"T go in with preconcieved notions like 45s are too big or 9mm is too small. I had a buddy who swore his first gun would be a .38 revolver. We went to the range, he rented a few, and the next week he bought a 1911.

I just bought a Ruger MKIII 22/45 last month as my first gun and its wonderful. It's light, its reliable (as long as you don't use Remmington ammo) and its accurate. It's not really tailored toward lefties, but I don't know of many .22s that are. I got it from Four Seasons in Woburn for either $300 or $400...I don't remember but I think it was $300.

I don't have a lefty Stag - I guess I need one...

I love my stag lefty. it does catch people off guard when they are shooting on the left side. If they are between me on the right and someone shooting on their left the middle seat gets more than it's fair share of brass.

As for the OP. The Ruger MKIII is a great first handgun. See Avatar. Cheap to buy. Super cheap to shoot lots of rounds through. No recoil to build flinch habits. Not a good carry gun or defense gun but a great first shooter. I would never regret buying it and will keep it forever. It is not only a good gun for you to learn on but it is a great gun to let your friends shoot when you bring them to the range for the first time to introduce them to the fun of shooting.

I will never have my friends or kids shoot my Glock 23 as there first experience if they are gun curious. Shooting the 22 just about anyone is going to be hitting the good rings right away. This will make it fun for them. You can then let them shoot a higher caliber to appreciate the difference but for a fun time most people would rather shoot soomething that they can see good results with. And you can let them shoot hundreds of rounds for the cost of a lunch at MacDonalds. Long story short the MKIII will be a handgun you will be able to use for one reason or another for a long time.

Last edited:
+1 on getting a 22LR either first or as a companion gun.
I have pistols in most calibers (22, 32, 380, 9mm, 38/357, 40SW, 45ACP, 45C) I easily shoot 100 aroundws of 22 for every other caliber.
I not only really enjoy my 22's, but as people have pointed out they are really affordable to shoot. You will want to put thousands of rounds down range, and that is going to get expensive if you buy a centerfire pistol only (even 9mm)

One of my favortie guns is my Kimber 45, shot with a 22 LR upper on it. There are lots of pistols that you can get 22 uppers for, so that is definitely one way to go. Another is a gun like the Ruger MKIII or SW 22A.
Definitely try to shoot as many as you can before making a decision, especially for a centerfire pistol - you can't go wrong with a Ruger MKIII!

Shoot before you buy. That is the best advice I can give, because what works for some won't work for all. I bought an M&P 9c as my first gun, and I wish I didn't. One of the biggest mistakes I have made.

Despite the recent posts about Sig on the forum, I own four Sig Sauers and they have all been fantastic. Very smooth, durable, and they go BANG every time. No failure to fires, no failures to eject, nothing. If you decide to go that way, try one different calibers to see what you like. I would just recommend staying away from the .40 cal. Any questions on that one, contact Eddie Coyle. He has a great article on it.

Shoot before you buy. That is the best advice I can give, because what works for some won't work for all. I bought an M&P 9c as my first gun, and I wish I didn't. One of the biggest mistakes I have made.

Jen, I'll second that. My first gun was a revolver and I hated it. Even worse, I lost about $350 on the trade-in

get a glock. M&p's to me are for people that really want a glock but dont want to spend the money or the time getting one. a j-frame airweights revolve is another option. Go shoot a bunch and find what you like best.Just letting you know ahead of time. Youll end up buying and selling a bunch of guns in your lifetime. One day you love it the next day you need something else.
just my 2 cents.

1911's are awesome as well, but I would rather carry a g26

a j-frame airweights revolve is another option.

Not for a first gun, it isn't. Airweight Js are great guns, and I own one and carry it from time to time. However, it's a terrible choice for a first / only gun. The combination of long heavy trigger, significant felt recoil, and short sight radius make it a very difficult gun to shoot well. Trying to learn to shoot with one is going to be an exercise in frustration.

My standard advice is buy a 22 first and then a defensive gun. If you want/need a defensive gun right off the bat, I think the best compromise is a midsized polymer 9mm (Glock 19 or M&P9 or similar) or a 4" K or L frame 38 or 357 revolver.

Not for a first gun, it isn't. Airweight Js are great guns, and I own one and carry it from time to time. However, it's a terrible choice for a first / only gun. The combination of long heavy trigger, significant felt recoil, and short sight radius make it a very difficult gun to shoot well. Trying to learn to shoot with one is going to be an exercise in frustration.

My standard advice is buy a 22 first and then a defensive gun. If you want/need a defensive gun right off the bat, I think the best compromise is a midsized polymer 9mm (Glock 19 or M&P9 or similar) or a 4" K or L frame 38 or 357 revolver.

That was my first gun and I hated it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. finally got a chance today to get out, and got home earlier today with my new M&P 9..!!!! didnt get a chance to take to range heading out to friends house for dinner, will have to make time tommorow, after the trip to marlboro, looking for some accessories....

Take a day off work, drive to AFS in Attelboro, rent lotsa guns, by some 9mm, .40 and .45 maybe some 38special. Rent Glocks in all calibers, Sigs whatever. Rent a couple of wheel guns too.

This is how I decided on my first handgun purchases. If you really want to see how a gun will preform, shoot a very well used rental. Then you will either buy a Sig 226 or 220 because you are a smart fella. Then you will decide with the warm weather you would like to have a smaller carry gun, and you will buy one. Then you will determine that you really want a nice 1911 to add to that Smith & Wesson Wheel gun that you knew you would never carry but just had to have it cause you loved shooting it. Then you will get your bank statement and say Oh, Sh*&^

Do people post just to hear themselves talk? If you read the most recent post in the thread, you'll see he bumped the thread because he just bought his first gun. Congrats on your purchase KOMA829. Let us know how your first range trip goes.

Back
Top Bottom