First Conceal Carry

I'm going to be turning 21 soon. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good conceal carry handgun. I've been lookin at the sp101 from ruger and the S&W 990l and ya unfortunately i'm from Mass lol.

I can say that the SP101 is a great revovler. Some people think they're a bit heavy, but I've always liked Rugers revolvers.

I don't carry a wheelgun though, so I can't speak on that aspect.

CD

Kind of an open ended question...

How are you going to carry, what size are you, how often will you carry, what conditions will the firearm be exposed to...

A TON of variables, and no one size answer.

Adam

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here!

And as others have stated, there is no one good answer. I carry different guns, different ways dependent on how I have to dress, where I'm going and what I'm doing.

5'8", 185#, paunchy build [frown]

Just some of my solutions:

- S&W 1911 in Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 (IWB) or newly purchased Gary Brommeland Def Con (OWB)

- Walther P99 in Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 (IWB)

- Sphinx AT2000P in pancake holster

- Picking up a S&W 642 Saturday from FS for in pocket carry (I had disposed of all my small pocket guns some years ago) for "special circumstances"

- Eventually I'll purchase a Glock 23 to add to the mix. Already have the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 for it and a C-Tac (bought them in the G17/22 size so they would work with my G22 or my Wife's G17 as well as the G23).

- Sometimes carry in a belly bag for "special circumstances". [Special Note: A few years ago Boston was on a heightened "high terrorism alert" and I was attending a concert at a public park alongside the Charles River. State Police boats were patrolling the river, lots of Troopers walking around. I was wearing a belly bag and chatting with a senior Trooper. He asked me to keep extra alert for anything unusual . . . don't know if he realized what was in the belly bag, but if so it was obvious he wasn't concerned about me! That's my answer to those that say that they "scream gun"! [wink] ]

NOTE: Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holsters are "off the shelf" from Brownells for $75 ($65 if you have a C&R FFL) for 1911s and Glocks.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you don't already have a good answer to that question, I suggest looking into a course, or gathering of friends with various guns and get a better idea of what you like.

GOAL's Concealed Carry iN MA has a nice section where you can look and try various holsters with 'blue guns' and see what fits well.

However, you will find that you have a favorite 'outfit' that you prefer, and then a collection of stuff for when you can't wear the perfect combo. You'll also find that some things feel great for the first few hours and then near the end of the day, you wonder why your back, legs, etc feel stiff and then you'll take the gun off and go 'damn'.

Everyone is different. If there was one magical solution, there wouldn't be so many choices.

Yeah, go to the range with some of your pals that have lots of guns and shoot what they have, do some reading, shoot some more, and then decide.

One of the guns that you probably should consider is a a snub revolver, like an S&W Airweight. Nice little gun!

DD do you live in MA or carry here?

If so, you really should consider taking the GOAL Foundation's Art of Concealed Carry Course. For info, go to www.goal.org, and click on the button for Training and take a look at the course descriptions.

Darius

You could also consider Sigarms Concealed Carry course as well.

In terms of what gun to carry, first you need to decide how you are going to carry. Belt holster or pocket? If you are going to carry on a belt, then you need a cover garment. If I'm going to wear a cover garment, then I can carry something that is much easier for me to shoot than a short-barreled revolver.

If I'm going for pocket carry, then the gun has to be much smaller.

So how are you going to carry?

Another issue to remember is that when it comes to concealed carry, equipment is the least of your concerns. I suggest that your first concern should be understanding the legal issues concerning deadly force. More specifically, you must understand when you can and when you cannot use deadly force.

Last edited:
Thanks Alot guys. I work at a gunstore down on the cape. Been askin co workers about the issue too. Seems like the Sp101'll be the best choice probably with a bianchi minimalist holster. been reading reviews and its seemed to do very well under stress test. Ruger put 5000 357s through it in a row and the frame didn't bend. and seeing as i aint got money to invest in more than one gun its gunna have to be a snubby. Thanks for your help guys and i'm gunna look into the Conceal Carry class.

Back
Top Bottom