• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First AR-15 build advice

IMHO there are a few critical components. The trigger, the barrel and the optics.

For my range shooting guns I like the Rock River 2 Stage National Match Trigger. Nice take-up, Break pretty clean. Consistent. Not a competition trigger, but a solid home self defense trigger if that's your intent. And get a decent lower parts kit.

For barrels I use White Oak Armament. Top of the line stuff. Used by a lot of top shooters.

For optics, that's a very long discussion. Personally I like Vortex optics. Great build quality at a fair price. Lifetime warranty. Good stuff.

For the rest, things like buttstock, foregrips, whatever, it's really personal choice. I would get some flip up iron sights. It's good to know how to shoot with irons.

Good luck.

Rich

IMHO there are a few critical components. The trigger, the barrel and the optics.

For my range shooting guns I like the Rock River 2 Stage National Match Trigger. Nice take-up, Break pretty clean. Consistent. Not a competition trigger, but a solid home self defense trigger if that's your intent. And get a decent lower parts kit.

For barrels I use White Oak Armament. Top of the line stuff. Used by a lot of top shooters.

For optics, that's a very long discussion. Personally I like Vortex optics. Great build quality at a fair price. Lifetime warranty. Good stuff.

For the rest, things like buttstock, foregrips, whatever, it's really personal choice. I would get some flip up iron sights. It's good to know how to shoot with irons.

Good luck.

Rich
no going to talk about anything else, as it is an endless conversation, but of the triggers i tried and ended up using - now it is larue for all generic 'tactical' builds,

and a competitive adjustable triggertech for range builds - but gotta wait to get it on sale for mid-$100s. they dropped adjustability screw from independence models in last 2 years, though - and it is not good at all.

for OP - you need to keep it simple, just get an aero or BA complete upper at a good price, on an M4 aero upper. something in $450 range, and it will be lower at black friday sales.

I say build the upper. It will be a good learning experience. And you’ll end up with the important tools that you need to build and modify AR15s. If you’re not shooting past 100 yards, there’s no need to go nuts on a match grade barrel. Just get a barrel of the profile that you want. Get something dimpled to keep the gas block in place. An adjustable gas block is nice especially on carbine length. But even mid length it really depends on how large the manufacturer drills the gas port, which is why I like adjustable blocks. You’ll get a whole lot better experience with a gas system that is dialed in vs something thats over gassed. Then all you need is an upper parts kit for the small hardware and a BCG and charging handle. You can pick the hand guard you like.

Or buy the complete AM15 dissipator upper from Anderson and make me jealous for life. If you want a smooth shooting rifle, this is your best bang for the buck by far, and it’s got style points for days.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a stripped lower and a basic LPK and FCG. I really want to have sort of a retro look and don't want to build an upper so I was looking at these ( I know not compliant but that can be dealt with after I get it ). This would be a first build and seems like a easy way to get what I want. Not looking for tactical, just a range toy to have some fun with.

IMHO the key ingredients to a good AR are the barrel, sights/optics and trigger.

I use White Oak barrels. Either Geissele or Rock River two stage national match triggers. And Magpul irons and/or Vortex scopes.

This is very subjective, but I find I get the biggest bang for the buck from these.

I've done a few builds for MA residents, and one of the middle-of-the-road "favorites" for the upper has been: M4E1 Threaded Complete Upper, 14.5" 5.56 Mid-Length Barrel w/ Pinned Gamma 556 SL, 12" M-LOK ATLAS R-ONE HG - Anodized Black

Comes with a pin/weld muzzle device that brings the barrel to 16" OAL and the gas block can still be serviced/remove due to the design of the brake. For the lower, Aero is excellent, too (M4E1). Carbine length buffer and then pin the stock with a set screw (and expoxy over should you feel the need) or rivet. At full retail, you can get in just about $1000 before optics/etc.
I can order that complete upper in mass and don’t have to register it until I get a lower receiver?

I can order that complete upper in mass and don’t have to register it until I get a lower receiver?
Let's keep this simple:
1. The receiver/frame (part with the serial number) is what you register. You register it once it's fully assembled and capable of being fired.
2. You can order gun parts such as an upper from the internet. There is no registering an upper, barrel, magazine, etc. These are parts, not a firearm.
3. Some vendors don't ship to MA for business reasons. Plenty of them do.

Aero doesn't ship to MA. My FFL is in NH. If you're willing to take a drive/pay for shipping, I don't mind helping you get said upper (this is an open offer to anyone/everyone in MA that wants products from companies that will not ship to Mass). It's a very nice upper and a cornerstone of my MA compliant builds for customers.

Aero doesn't ship to MA. My FFL is in NH. If you're willing to take a drive/pay for shipping, I don't mind helping you get said upper (this is an open offer to anyone/everyone in MA that wants products from companies that will not ship to Mass). It's a very nice upper and a cornerstone of my MA compliant builds for customers.
You have Instagram or social media account I can get in touch with you? Prob a dense question but is that legal?

Aero might not ship direct but you can get them from other vendors. My first build was with an Aero complete upper.

Aero might not ship direct but you can get them from other vendors. My first build was with an Aero complete upper.
Aero is everywhere and frequently the prices from other vendors can match or beat Aero directly. I just try and help MA residents where possible. Aero reps are pushing hard to expand to MA and there seems to be progress on the willingness to do so.

Aero is everywhere and frequently the prices from other vendors can match or beat Aero directly. I just try and help MA residents where possible. Aero reps are pushing hard to expand to MA and there seems to be progress on the willingness to do so.
I noticed you were a dealer after I posted. Wasn’t trying to step on your toes. 👍

Do you or anyone know if I can ship to a NH UPS store? I live 5-10 from the border and have a UPS store very close. Aero won't ship to me in MA but I want to take advantage of the Black Friday 30% off deal asap. Don't want them to refuse the shipment or something and mess it all up. I called and confirmed that I could ship to them, but didn't say it was firearm parts...

If not, can I send it to your store? I'm a bit further from Nashua but it's doable. Do you charge a fee?

Edit: this is just an upper and parts, lower was purchased in MA.

Do you or anyone know if I can ship to a NH UPS store? I live 5-10 from the border and have a UPS store very close. Aero won't ship to me in MA but I want to take advantage of the Black Friday 30% off deal asap. Don't want them to refuse the shipment or something and mess it all up. I called and confirmed that I could ship to them, but didn't say it was firearm parts...

If not, can I send it to your store? I'm a bit further from Nashua but it's doable. Do you charge a fee?
I know you can ship things to some FedEx locations to pick up

Back
Top Bottom