• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First AR-15 build advice

Hey all,

After many years I have finally decided I want to build my own AR-15. I have been looking at buying a complete Aero Precision lower receiver (no stock), and then I got lost in the endless videos and research of all the different parts...

I was hoping to get some recommendations on the best upper receivers to look into, this is the main part I'm unsure about and it's obviously important! I'm new to this whole thing and just want a good solid rifle for the range and in case SHTF. Ideally, I'd like to keep the build under $1,000, including lower, upper, stock, sight/optic, foregrip, and magazines. I don't want anything too crazy as I can always upgrade down the road, but just want to get something solid before we're not allowed to. (Located in MA)

I'm open to any advice and helpful opinions, as well as recommendations for where to buy. Also, please let me know if I've been misinformed on anything, not trying to get in trouble. I do know I need a pin and welded muzzle, fixed stock, and a minimum length to not be a pistol. If there's any other vital info, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Whats it for? Usually i build a rifle around the optic.

A good optic can be pricey. Easily $1000 for a acog or lpvo. The sig romeo dots are fine for inside 200 yards and bulletproof.

I have a Ddm4 that id trust my life to. Bit more than you want to spend but worth it. A neighbor runs all bcm stuff and swears by it. Ive also had good luck with psa stuff. Great value. They have an overrun fn m249 chf barrel thats awesome, almost as accurate as my DD and bulletproof.

Complete lower is a good start but you'll get alot more enjoyment out of building from a stripped reciever, as well as really learning the manual of arms in the process.
Aero lowers are great, uppers are great too. However my favorite upper has been the bushmaster bravo zulu. Thin profile, snake roll mark and installed snake charmer muzzle brake instead of standard bird cage. Honestly I just wanted to have something different but its ended up being my favorite

Hey all,

After many years I have finally decided I want to build my own AR-15. I have been looking at buying a complete Aero Precision lower receiver (no stock), and then I got lost in the endless videos and research of all the different parts...

I was hoping to get some recommendations on the best upper receivers to look into, this is the main part I'm unsure about and it's obviously important! I'm new to this whole thing and just want a good solid rifle for the range and in case SHTF. Ideally, I'd like to keep the build under $1,000, including lower, upper, stock, sight/optic, foregrip, and magazines. I don't want anything too crazy as I can always upgrade down the road, but just want to get something solid before we're not allowed to. (Located in MA)

I'm open to any advice and helpful opinions, as well as recommendations for where to buy. Also, please let me know if I've been misinformed on anything, not trying to get in trouble. I do know I need a pin and welded muzzle, fixed stock, and a minimum length to not be a pistol. If there's any other vital info, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!
Buy the cheapest upper receiver you can get, would be my advice. Well, I’m sure some of them are shitty. But generally this isn’t something you need to go Gucci on. Buy a decent stainless barrel and a quality bolt and bolt carrier group with a properly staked gas key. A good trigger. I think a good alternative to the “stake the buffer tube” philosophy is to buy a buffer tube that “captures” the buffer retainer. And I’d recommend buying the titanium buffer retainer. Other than that the flat wire springs like the ones tubbs makes are good and quiet buffer springs. Most stuff is just going to be a matter of personal taste as long as you stick to quality parts. Buy a good safety. Cheap safety levers are mushy and really suck. A nice crisp safety is a lot more satisfying. I don’t know, you’re going to change all kinds of stuff constantly and probably keep building more.

Whats it for? Usually i build a rifle around the optic.

A good optic can be pricey. Easily $1000 for a acog or lpvo. The sig romeo dots are fine for inside 200 yards and bulletproof.

I have a Ddm4 that id trust my life to. Bit more than you want to spend but worth it. A neighbor runs all bcm stuff and swears by it. Ive also had good luck with psa stuff. Great value. They have an overrun fn m249 chf barrel thats awesome, almost as accurate as my DD and bulletproof.
It's just range use, just want to get comfortable with it and be accurate. The only rifles I own are a 10-22 and a Mosin, need something modern and fun for the range.

I probably wouldn't focus on optics since I know how pricey the good ones get, but it definitely something worth looking into when I have more money to burn.

I'll look into those uppers though, thanks!

Complete lower is a good start but you'll get alot more enjoyment out of building from a stripped reciever, as well as really learning the manual of arms in the process.
Aero lowers are great, uppers are great too. However my favorite upper has been the bushmaster bravo zulu. Thin profile, snake roll mark and installed snake charmer muzzle brake instead of standard bird cage. Honestly I just wanted to have something different but its ended up being my favorite
Sounds interesting, I'll look into it. Thought about doing the stripped receiver build, but I feel like I'll end up spending too much buying all the nicest little parts. Maybe on the second build I get more into it.

I've done a few builds for MA residents, and one of the middle-of-the-road "favorites" for the upper has been: M4E1 Threaded Complete Upper, 14.5" 5.56 Mid-Length Barrel w/ Pinned Gamma 556 SL, 12" M-LOK ATLAS R-ONE HG - Anodized Black

Comes with a pin/weld muzzle device that brings the barrel to 16" OAL and the gas block can still be serviced/remove due to the design of the brake. For the lower, Aero is excellent, too (M4E1). Carbine length buffer and then pin the stock with a set screw (and expoxy over should you feel the need) or rivet. At full retail, you can get in just about $1000 before optics/etc.

If you don't know what you want I'd buy something you know works and be done with it. You can spend all day researching and obsessing over the smallest details but at the end of the day you'll never know what works for you until you shoot one.

Personally I'd go with a mid-tier completed upper with a pinned muzzle device (black friday is coming soon), then get a stripped lower (or two) and pick out a trigger and whatever stock looks good to you.

Maybe we need a thread for biggest regrets on our first AR build so you can see what people regret doing. Mine is definitely getting a mil spec trigger instead of an upgraded one.

I've done a few builds for MA residents, and one of the middle-of-the-road "favorites" for the upper has been: M4E1 Threaded Complete Upper, 14.5" 5.56 Mid-Length Barrel w/ Pinned Gamma 556 SL, 12" M-LOK ATLAS R-ONE HG - Anodized Black

Comes with a pin/weld muzzle device that brings the barrel to 16" OAL and the gas block can still be serviced/remove due to the design of the brake. For the lower, Aero is excellent, too (M4E1). Carbine length buffer and then pin the stock with a set screw (and expoxy over should you feel the need) or rivet. At full retail, you can get in just about $1000 before optics/etc.
I just checked this out, looks nice. I like seeing something that isn't the standard birdcage muzzle. Any thoughts on CH and BCG? Also, looking at just getting a fixed stock so I wouldn't have to mess with pining anything back there.

I had my eyes on the M4E1 Aero lower, seems simple and nice at a good price. I'm just worried if I buy a fully stripped lower that I'll spend too much on all the little parts that arent as important. (aside from trigger, want something decent)

Thanks for the advice!

Do you MA guys buy barrels with muzzle devices already pinned from somewhere? Or are you having them pinned from a gunsmith or something?

What kind of devices are you pinning on there?

If you don't know what you want I'd buy something you know works and be done with it. You can spend all day researching and obsessing over the smallest details but at the end of the day you'll never know what works for you until you shoot one.

Personally I'd go with a mid-tier completed upper with a pinned muzzle device (black friday is coming soon), then get a stripped lower (or two) and pick out a trigger and whatever stock looks good to you.

Maybe we need a thread for biggest regrets on our first AR build so you can see what people regret doing. Mine is definitely getting a mil spec trigger instead of an upgraded one.
I know there are Black Friday deals everywhere, any place to keep an eye on that usually hooks it up? I get what you're saying though, that's why I'm leaning toward buying everything complete and replacing/upgrading as I figure out what works for me, but that sounds expensive...

I just checked this out, looks nice. I like seeing something that isn't the standard birdcage muzzle. Any thoughts on CH and BCG? Also, looking at just getting a fixed stock so I wouldn't have to mess with pining anything back there.

I had my eyes on the M4E1 Aero lower, seems simple and nice at a good price. I'm just worried if I buy a fully stripped lower that I'll spend too much on all the little parts that arent as important. (aside from trigger, want something decent)

Thanks for the advice!
Bird cage is a flash hider, no? Pretty sure that's prohibited if you care about that stuff. If you're trying to be compliant you need something marketed as a muzzle break.

To finish a stripped lower you're looking at what, $50 for an LPK without a trigger, buffer tube and stock $75, trigger as much as you want to spend. Don't bother with a fixed stock, get an adjustable, find the length that suits you, then pin it or don't. Pinning takes 30 seconds, I'd much rather be able to pick the position that works than be locked into whatever a fixed length offers.

I know there are Black Friday deals everywhere, any place to keep an eye on that usually hooks it up? I get what you're saying though, that's why I'm leaning toward buying everything complete and replacing/upgrading as I figure out what works for me, but that sounds expensive...
Primary

Not all quality parts begin with the names Daniel defense, geissele,sons of liberty,aero precision,zev,radian,lmt,larue,knights,sig, cmmg,blackout defense etc

There are smaller shops that push out good quality items.

I didnt even read the thread, but at this point you should just buy everything you can afford and tell the state and feds about none of it.

Go buy 100 more lowers. like tomorrow.
I would like to grab a couple more lowers but I’m sure the mill is overwhelmed with customers this weekend

Bird cage is a flash hider, no? Pretty sure that's prohibited if you care about that stuff. If you're trying to be compliant you need something marketed as a muzzle break.

To finish a stripped lower you're looking at what, $50 for an LPK without a trigger, buffer tube and stock $75, trigger as much as you want to spend. Don't bother with a fixed stock, get an adjustable, find the length that suits you, then pin it or don't. Pinning takes 30 seconds, I'd much rather be able to pick the position that works than be locked into whatever a fixed length offers.
I believe you're right, it is a flash hider... that's why I'm here I guess lol. I do wanna stay compliant, even though it is limiting, just not trying to have anything bite me in the ass.

I haven't really shopped all the lower parts, so if that's what they cost before the trigger then I guess that's the way, a few bucks cheaper than the complete and I don't have to basically throw away the original trigger. I guess I also haven't looked into the stock pinning either, so if it's as easy as you say, that definitely opens up my options. I will say though, I've shopped some fixed stock that I do really like the look of. But can prob find the same style with that "adjustability".

Thanks again for the info, this post is becoming my do's and don'ts for MA AR building :)

This x1000
Build a lower if you want. Just buy the upper for the first one.
I vote buy a built lower too. Then get picky later.
Let us know if you need help putting them together
Thank you. I'm starting to lean toward building the lower, but the upper I really just want to have it complete so I can just slap that bad boy on and run off to the range

I would like to grab a couple more lowers but I’m sure the mill is overwhelmed with customers this weekend
That's where I was planning to go this weekend to get mine lol, am I gonna be SOL? I saw KAG Arms had a few available for like $145, or completes for a bit more. That was gonna be my one-stop shop

Back
Top Bottom