• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First AR-15 build advice

If you decide to build a lower this video covers some of features specific to Aero lowers:

View: https://youtu.be/JEBvSzsH_2c

Awesome, thanks. I was just looking online for the LPK w/o trigger and grip. Found the Aero one for like $35. I'm still back and forth on stripped vs complete, now starting to think complete just saves me the hassle if all I'm gonna do is get a new trigger later on and maybe change the grip for like $30.

For me the lower is the boring part and the upper is the fun part. My advice would be make sure you have a goal in mind and build everything out toward that. Or you’ll end up with a bunch of crap that doesn’t work well together and you’ll eventually swap it all out and end up with something that doesn’t even resemble what you set out to build.

Actually, there’s nothing really wrong with that either. You’ll learn a lot along the way and end up with multiple rifles for multiple purposes, most likely. But do have an idea in mind as far as what you want to accomplish, and select each part with that in mind. Don’t go hanging all the super trendy cool wiz bang shit off of it. Keep it simple, very simple, until you know what you’re doing and can shoot proficiently. There are some complete abortions out there that suck for any practical use but look sort of cool if you’re into it. It’s like the people who drive a shit box Honda civic with thousands of dollars of body upgrades and fart pipes on it. You’re driving a clown car that’s miserable to drive around in for any purpose or conditions and everyone knows it but you.

Hey all,

After many years I have finally decided I want to build my own AR-15. I have been looking at buying a complete Aero Precision lower receiver (no stock), and then I got lost in the endless videos and research of all the different parts...

I was hoping to get some recommendations on the best upper receivers to look into, this is the main part I'm unsure about and it's obviously important! I'm new to this whole thing and just want a good solid rifle for the range and in case SHTF. Ideally, I'd like to keep the build under $1,000, including lower, upper, stock, sight/optic, foregrip, and magazines. I don't want anything too crazy as I can always upgrade down the road, but just want to get something solid before we're not allowed to. (Located in MA)

I'm open to any advice and helpful opinions, as well as recommendations for where to buy. Also, please let me know if I've been misinformed on anything, not trying to get in trouble. I do know I need a pin and welded muzzle, fixed stock, and a minimum length to not be a pistol. If there's any other vital info, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!
for the videos on step by step builds - look from there

tools - you need SPECIFICALLY this vise block and not the stoner version:

as for lower/upper - go with aero m4e1 and you will have no issues. good luck.

for a very first build i would recommend to buy a complete upper of aero or BA from primary arms or other, and a stripped aero m4e1 lower you can finish yourself.
for a second build you can try to make your own upper but it will need extra tools and it will help to have for a reference your first rifle.
and, do not buy cheap shit - it will make your life easier.

Do you MA guys buy barrels with muzzle devices already pinned from somewhere? Or are you having them pinned from a gunsmith or something?

What kind of devices are you pinning on there?
faxon makes some barrels with integrated brakes for those who are concerned.
i never tried and did not look how the gas block is supposed to be fit on there.

OP, anything less than Tier 1 Operator Level is for losers…

View attachment 807953

…just F-ing with ya.
it was told many times - best bang per buck will be anything in mid-tier, and to go lower usually means you need to be skilled enough to identify and remedy any possible imperfections with the parts you are dealing with. therefore a default advice to buy aero.

I just checked this out, looks nice. I like seeing something that isn't the standard birdcage muzzle. Any thoughts on CH and BCG? Also, looking at just getting a fixed stock so I wouldn't have to mess with pining anything back there.

I had my eyes on the M4E1 Aero lower, seems simple and nice at a good price. I'm just worried if I buy a fully stripped lower that I'll spend too much on all the little parts that arent as important. (aside from trigger, want something decent)

Thanks for the advice!
A fixed stock (A2) is nice and has a comoartment to keep a bag of Skittles but I have ACE Skeleton stocks on mine.

A fixed stock (A2) is nice and has a comoartment to keep a bag of Skittles but I have ACE Skeleton stocks on mine.
cheapest 'safe' stock for MA is this one, i think. can be found close to $20 at sales, works fine and sits on the CARBINE tube. which is somewhat important. :)

Are you really sure you want a cheap first build? Most people will probably end up getting something fancier later on and then the cheap build goes unused.

Just get an aero m4e1 lower and complete upper if you’re sticking to your decision and you might have $200 leftover for an optic.

Are you really sure you want a cheap first build? Most people will probably end up getting something fancier later on and then the cheap build goes unused.

Just get an aero m4e1 lower and complete upper if you’re sticking to your decision and you might have $200 leftover for an optic.
I more so just want it to have it before it's gone. I probably spend money down the road upgrading, but I can't be spending too much now. I'm only 25, need to save for a ring, a house, kids, and retirement... good old American dream lol

I more so just want it to have it before it's gone. I probably spend money down the road upgrading, but I can't be spending too much now. I'm only 25, need to save for a ring, a house, kids, and retirement... good old American dream lol
Buy two areo lowers. Buy lowers now while you can soon you won’t be able to.

Buy two areo lowers. Buy lowers now while you can soon you won’t be able to.
I was thinking of buying two because they're cheap enough. Can I order those online? I've seen them at KAG Arms which is where I was planning to go tomorrow, but I emailed them and it sounds like they're gone except for the complete which I'll prob buy anyways.

$1k budget? - Dude that's like 2 or three AR's

$1k budget? - Dude that's like 2 or three AR's
Me testing my new $300 build...
Explode Blow Up GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:
Me testing my new $300 build...
Explode Blow Up GIF by reactionseditor
ARs are pretty much Legos
Pick up one of these - BC-15 | .223 Wylde Right Side Charging Upper | 20" Non-Threaded Parkerized Heavy Barrel | 1:8 Twist | Rifle Length Gas System | 15" MLOK
Pull the BCG to clean it up and lube
Slap it on a decent lower, put a $300 optic on it and have a blast

Stop over thinking it with the buy once, cry once shit - it's an AR, likely not your first and definitely not your last. Figure out what you like and don't like for the next build.

Well, I finally did it and purchased a complete lower receiver! I just realized I was charged an extra $15 for some reason but I'm not driving the 40 min each way to take care of that...

Well, I finally did it and purchased a complete lower receiver! I just realized I was charged an extra $15 for some reason but I'm not driving the 40 min each way to take care of that...
Call/text a picture the receipt. They should take care of it.

Call/text a picture the receipt. They should take care of it.
Yeah I might, not gonna get too caught up on it though. I was wondering if maybe it was some sort of fee or like an FFL thing but I really don’t know. I’m assuming it’s only 6.25% MA sales tax though. $240 complete, paid $270 and change

Yeah I might, not gonna get too caught up on it though. I was wondering if maybe it was some sort of fee or like an FFL thing but I really don’t know. I’m assuming it’s only 6.25% MA sales tax though. $240 complete, paid $270 and change
not a bad price at all considering it used to be quite more. i think the last stripped m4e1 i had was around $90, and ar-308 m5 was $120.

It was the credit card fee, forgot to bring cash so it is the first time buyer fee basically lol

Back
Top Bottom