DUI checkpoints & Schools

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Last night was driving home (technically this morning I guess) and was directed to pull into a DUI checkpoint screening area by a friendly officer.

The screening area was the front lot of a school.

Got me thinking, If I had been carrying (which I wasn't, had just come from a concert with screening) it would seem to create a conundrum. The order to pull into the lot is lawful, however, I couldn't legally do so if I was carrying.

I would have been jammed up if I refused to pull into the screening area, but could have been jammed up if I was carrying and pulled into the screening area.

Am I over thinking this?

Option 1, do it, because the cop told you to. No way could you ever get into a bad situation by listening to the cops. Never happened.
Option 2, refuse, because you know you'd be breaking a law, but refusal itself will come with consequences.
Option 3, drive away fast. Don't look back until you hit Ciudad Jaurez.
Option 4, pull over, climb onto the roof of your car and wave your gun around so the cops know why you stopped. This one is probably the best option.

Def overthinking it. If that’s the spot they decided to set up and you’re actually legally detained and instructed to pull into a separate area, it’s out of your hands. It’s not like you were sitting outside the school during normal hours and ignoring whatever dumb law happens to be in effect.

Even if I was carrying and in your shoes at the time I wouldn’t tell them unless someone specifically asked me for some reason if I was armed. Say as little as possible during the stop and go on your way.

Def overthinking it. If that’s the spot they decided to set up and you’re actually legally detained and instructed to pull into a separate area, it’s out of your hands. It’s not like you were sitting outside the school during normal hours and ignoring whatever dumb law happens to be in effect.

Even if I was carrying and in your shoes at the time I wouldn’t tell them unless someone specifically asked me for some reason if I was armed. Say as little as possible during the stop and go on your way.
I tend to overthink these things is all. Too many ways to get jammed up for sure.

Perfectly understandable in this day and age.
I mean, let's be honest, when someone has a heart attack while cleaning their firearms and gets jammed up for "unsafe storage" when the paramedics took them away in full cardiac arrest, there is a problem in this state.

I mean, let's be honest, when someone has a heart attack while cleaning their firearms and gets jammed up for "unsafe storage" when the paramedics took them away in full cardiac arrest, there is a problem in this state.
Only because the .gov didn’t give you permission to die yet. lol Joking aside I completely agree. This states a joke.

As a black man, here's my advice when you get pulled over - roll down ALL your windows and sunroof so you can help the cop see and smell the non existent marijuana from your car from over 20 feet away. Then you put your two hands, palm on the steering wheel with your fingers fully straight and extended, slowly (turtle speed slow) turn to the cop who may approach from either side of your car. Don't look at his trembling hand placed on his pistol grip cause that may be interpreted as aggression. Then politely in a soft voice (try not to speak in a deep voice) - smile, show pearly whites and ask the cop "Officer Massa How can I help you today? My wallet is ___here___ which includes my driver's license and my LTC. I am currently carrying a sidearm which is ___here____. I won't motion to it so I won't spook you further in addition to my blackness."

Oh for DUI checkpoints, do mention all that but also make sure to say you are concerned with the legalities of pulling into a school zone while legally armed, could you pull over across the street.

Haven't been shot by a cop yet!

As a black man, here's my advice when you get pulled over - roll down ALL your windows and sunroof so you can help the cop see and smell the non existent marijuana from your car from over 20 feet away. Then you put your two hands, palm on the steering wheel with your fingers fully straight and extended, slowly (turtle speed slow) turn to the cop who may approach from either side of your car. Don't look at his trembling hand placed on his pistol grip cause that may be interpreted as aggression. Then politely in a soft voice (try not to speak in a deep voice) - smile, show pearly whites and ask the cop "Officer Massa How can I help you today? My wallet is ___here___ which includes my driver's license and my LTC. I am currently carrying a sidearm which is ___here____. I won't motion to it so I won't spook you further in addition to my blackness."

Oh for DUI checkpoints, do mention all that but also make sure to say you are concerned with the legalities of pulling into a school zone while legally armed, could you pull over across the street.

I think you are crazy to volunteer that you are carrying at that point

Last night was driving home (technically this morning I guess) and was directed to pull into a DUI checkpoint screening area by a friendly officer.

Got me thinking, If I had been carrying (which I wasn't, had just come from a concert with screening) it would seem to create a conundrum. The order to pull into the lot is lawful, however, I couldn't legally do so if I was carrying.

I would have been jammed up if I refused to pull into the screening area, but could have been jammed up if I was carrying and pulled into the screening area.

Am I over thinking this?
WAY over thinking it.

Typical pant shitter thought process.

Am I over thinking this?
Yes

Just play the game “no I’ve had nothing to drink. No I won’t do the roadside Olympics for you.”
I had nothing alcoholic to drink. They did the illuminated baton thing and pointed me into the school parking row.

THEN they asked where I was coming from, what I was doing, etc.

I just said I was at a show, had nothing to drink other than water and a coffee at Denny's after the show, and was headed home.

The officer said thanks for answering, sent me on my way, didn't ask for any documents, etc.

What's color got to do with it...in Mauraville ?

I had nothing alcoholic to drink. They did the illuminated baton thing and pointed me into the school parking row.

THEN they asked where I was coming from, what I was doing, etc.

I just said I was at a show, had nothing to drink other than water and a coffee at Denny's after the show, and was headed home.

The officer said thanks for answering, sent me on my way, didn't ask for any documents, etc.

Jesus. Denny's?

Have some self-respect, man!!!!

What's color got to do with it...in Mauraville ?
Drive after dark in any of the great cities of this state, Springfield, Worcester, New Bedford, etc lol. City cops are gonna be a little more twitchy if your skin isn't light enough. Just taking more precautions than I probably need in order to stay alive. Like anything, you need that muscle memory practice to apply to situations, something Philando Castile sadly didn't prepare for. When my HK is inches from my wallet, no way am I putting my hand anywhere near it. Been asked to step out of the vehicle a few times where the cop disarms me, then orders me back into the car and return it with the mag and chambered round out. So far so good.

Drive after dark in any of the great cities of this state, Springfield, Worcester, New Bedford, etc lol. City cops are gonna be a little more twitchy if your skin isn't light enough. Just taking more precautions than I probably need in order to stay alive. Like anything, you need that muscle memory practice to apply to situations, something Philando Castile sadly didn't prepare for. When my HK is inches from my wallet, no way am I putting my hand anywhere near it. Been asked to step out of the vehicle a few times where the cop disarms me, then orders me back into the car and return it with the mag and chambered round out. So far so good.

You seem like the type to manufacture drama. I have been pulled over more than probably 75% of the board and I've never been disarmed, not once. [rofl]

Not really sure how people are "getting there".

Back
Top Bottom