• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DUI checkpoints & Schools

Doesn't happen a lot but I do drive spiritedly. Never had an issue and I'm empathetic to the rookies on the job. Don't flex street hard and you don't get shot by a cop. Unsure why it's so hard for many of my brothas to understand that.
Because we are all privileged white people.

Cop sees you shuffling to reach behind you and he be like Y U hiding dat crack? Might need to go back to man purse carry from now on.
Bruh! ... if it is such an issue, pull your wallet out and put it on the side before you start driving.

Well, pull the wallet while you are pulling over.

Volunteering information such as having a firearm is completely retarded. Whether you were joking or serious. I am posting this for others.
Cop sees you shuffling to reach behind you and he be like Y U hiding dat crack? Might need to go back to man purse carry from now on.
I take Broc's approach. The few times I've been pulled over, by the time the cop is getting out of his car I have the registration out of the glove box and my wallet out of my pocket, both on the dash and my hands back on the wheel. Just guessing here, but I would think a cop would be on higher alert with me digging into my pocket or opening the glove box.

We ran DUI checkpoints when they first became popular. They are the absolute most unproductive way to deal with a DWI operator. We stopped doing them as it was an absolute waste of overtime and created a mountain of paperwork.
There are less traditional ways to do a DUI checkpoint that are much more efficient. Years ago some department in California set up an electronic sign beside the highway that said "Prepare to Slow. DUI Checkpoint in 3 Miles." Then they set up the checkpoint at the end of the exit ramp 1 mile ahead. The percentage of drunk drivers taking that exit was off the charts. [rofl]

Last edited:
There are less traditional ways to do a DUI checkpoint that are much more efficient. Years ago some department in California set up an electronic sign beside the highway that said "Prepare to Slow. DUI Checkpoint in 3 Miles." Then the set up the checkpoint at the end of the exit ramp 1 mile ahead. The percentage of drunk drivers taking that exit was off the charts. [rofl]

No doubt. This is when defense lawyers questioned the legality of DUI check points. In the end the courts it came out the Entrapping LEO Entity had to abide with signage, public notification and I believe newspaper postings of when, where etc they would be.

The landmark cases concerning OUI / DUI Roadblocks or Sobriety Checkpoints in Massachusetts is Commonwealth v. McGeoghgan, 389 Mass. 137 (1983) and Commonwealth v. Trumble, 396 Mass. 81 (1985). In those cases, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court held that, in order for a OUI / DUI roadblock or sobriety checkpoint to be constitutional, four things must be satisfied:
  • the selection of cars stopped must not be arbitrary
  • assurance must be given that the procedure utilized by the police is conducted pursuant to a plan devised by law enforcement with standard, neutral guidelines that clearly forbid the arbitrary selection of vehicles to be stopped
  • the site selected for the DUI / OUI checkpoint must be a "problem area", in other words, where accidents or drunk driving arrested have previously occurred; and
  • the public must be given advance notice.

Alas, no traffic alerts at all. No slowdown either. There was almost no one on the roads and the officers looked cold and miserable, so I am sure I was at the tail end of the operation.
I think it was Waze that went along with a fictitious road closure in order to reduce traffic on some highway. Out west someplace, I think.

Entirely possible they "ignore" certain situations at the request of authorities

I believe Waze is wholly owned by Google, fwiw...

I'm deadly serious. I had a few drinks and I was tired after a 12+ hour day, , so I went to a hotel instead of drving. Apparently that's a foreign idea in your brain. But you don't have much of a brain, so that would fit.
I have a 2 drink limit when I got to the local pub. I sip them over like 2 hours and bullshit with the guys and watch the game. And I only live 7 miles down the road.

It’s not worth the money it will cost of you get locked up. That $300 Uber and hotel might have you 5-10 grand plus a loss of your gun right.

I suppose if I were in your shoes then I'd keep my licence, registration and insurance card (depending on the state) in a separate wallet from the rest of my stuff and THAT wallet (with the driver's license, reg, etc) I'd form the habit of placing on the dashboard (perhaps with Velcro so it doesn't wander). I'd also install a dash cam with front, rear and inside views that stream constantly. And Mass being Mass, perhaps a sticker on the window saying the vehicle is under video and audio surveillance that cannot be turned off

There are less traditional ways to do a DUI checkpoint that are much more efficient. Years ago some department in California set up an electronic sign beside the highway that said "Prepare to Slow. DUI Checkpoint in 3 Miles." Then the set up the checkpoint at the end of the exit ramp 1 mile ahead. The percentage of drunk drivers taking that exit was off the charts. [rofl]
If they're GOING to conduct these illegal operations, that's less bad than the conventional way

I think it was Waze that went along with a fictitious road closure in order to reduce traffic on some highway. Out west someplace, I think.

Entirely possible they "ignore" certain situations at the request of authorities
Au contraire.

Based on Waze's (Google's) behavior,
their reaction seems to have been:
talk-to-the-hand.jpg

I suppose if I were in your shoes then I'd keep my licence, registration and insurance card (depending on the state) in a separate wallet from the rest of my stuff and THAT wallet (with the driver's license, reg, etc) I'd form the habit of placing on the dashboard (perhaps with Velcro so it doesn't wander). ...
[rolleyes]

futurama-bender.gif

I'd also install a dash cam with front, rear and inside views that stream constantly. And Mass being Mass, perhaps a sticker on the window saying the vehicle is under video and audio surveillance that cannot be turned off for quality insurance purposes
FTFY.

Au contraire.

Based on Waze's (Google's) behavior,
their reaction seems to have been:
talk-to-the-hand.jpg

[rolleyes]

futurama-bender.gif

FTFY.

I *think* this is the incident I'm recalling

Almost sure it was extensively discussed here on NES at the time, but a super-superficial search turned up nada.

Jesus. Denny's?

Have some self-respect, man!!!!
Thanks for the laugh! I needed it today.

My only experience with Denny's was.....well...shitty and that was back in the early 80's. It seemed convenient, it was really late at night (I hadn't been drinking) and I was hungry. I left after eating one bite of their "spaghetti" and refused to pay. Even the poor waitress said it looked like shit.

I did leave her a tip though. She was cute and it wasn't her fault.

Last edited:
I really have a hard time understanding how these DUI checkpoints have passed constitutional muster.

When law enforcement officers randomly pull drivers over for no apparent reason, it absolutely defies the concept of probable cause. DWI checkpoints also violate the Fourth Amendment right that prevents illegal searches and seizures. How has this ever been constitutionally legal???

I really have a hard time understanding how these DUI checkpoints have passed constitutional muster.

When law enforcement officers randomly pull drivers over for no apparent reason, it absolutely defies the concept of probable cause. DWI checkpoints also violate the Fourth Amendment right that prevents illegal searches and seizures. How has this ever been constitutionally legal???

Same way that even if you win your appeal on a traffic citation, you still have to pay (in Mass, anyway)

Because the supreme court is often hot garbage and basically gives handjobs to the police state.

They had to twist themselves in all kinds of knots in numerous cases to justify the things. Then they invented bullshit to make it sound like it wasnt a wholesale 4A violation (eg, like randomizing the cars selected etc)

Then they made up a faggot excuse that being arbitarily detained (by being forced to queue for this crap) wasnt a big deal so we're going to allow it" or similar BS
logic. Then they never bothered to define "What a big deal was" eg, like how long could you be forced to wait to go through the thing, etc.

Their failure on DUI law (WRT 4A violations) is almost as bad as Kelo vs New London or for that matter, Abramski. (A case where they could have easily defined straw purchase law to be less faggoty without nullifying the entire law).

Because the supreme court is often hot garbage and basically gives handjobs to the police state.

They had to twist themselves in all kinds of knots in numerous cases to justify the things. Then they invented bullshit to make it sound like it wasnt a wholesale 4A violation (eg, like randomizing the cars selected etc)

Then they made up a faggot excuse that being arbitarily detained (by being forced to queue for this crap) wasnt a big deal so we're going to allow it" or similar BS
logic. Then they never bothered to define "What a big deal was" eg, like how long could you be forced to wait to go through the thing, etc.

Their failure on DUI law (WRT 4A violations) is almost as bad as Kelo vs New London or for that matter, Abramski. (A case where they could have easily defined straw purchase law to be less faggoty without nullifying the entire law).
Totally agree with you. I see the same thing with almost all of the amendments/articles and how the courts, all the way up to and including the USSC, use pretzel logic to interpret the laws to say what they want them to say, not considering at all the original intent. And these people are supposed to be constitutional scholars? My ass they are.

Repeat after me: Am I being detained? Am I free to go?
That Will wind you up in bracelets every time. I’ve experienced it about five times. They don’t like it when you don’t “respect their authority”
In Arizona they were doing this all the time and all I had to do is hold this document to the window wait and then drive off. Up north it’s a little bit different. They can’t pull you over without reasonable suspicion, but they will

Totally agree with you. I see the same thing with almost all of the amendments/articles and how the courts, all the way up to and including the USSC, use pretzel logic to interpret the laws to say what they want them to say, not considering at all the original intent. And these people are supposed to be constitutional scholars? My ass they are.

I think they know, they just dont seem to mind doping the law with statist bullshit so they can selectively ignore the obvious intent of some of the BOR. Like its pretty obvious what 4A is supposed to be- but yet they still shit on it anyways in service of the "state" interests.

I *think* this is the incident I'm recalling
Almost sure it was extensively discussed here on NES at the time, but a super-superficial search turned up nada.
Nah; you're thinking of this:
[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom