Do you use your 1911 thumb safety when C&L?

Here is what your LFI trainer and mentor has to say about the 1911 as a police service weapon in his classic book The Semiautomatic Pistol in Police Service and Self-Defense by Massad Ayoob. I quote from my autographed copy:

"In the hands of such highly trained units as LAPD SWAT, the Colt .45 auto has proven itself to be the "ultimate gunfighting pistol" it has been called by such...authorities as Jeff Cooper and Ray Chapman. However, being designed for killing enemy soldiers rapidly instead of taking suspects at gunpoint, it is not the best choice for general issue to all field personnel. This writer believes it to be an excellent sidearm for the officer who has proven himself cool under stress and can qualify at Master level of gun handling on demand." (pp126-127)

This suggests or implies to me, anyway, that handling a 1911 well under all conditions requires a reasonably high degree of training.

Mark L.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your wifes training level is, so please disregard if she has covered this or similar topics[grin].

There are lots of great instructional vid's/dvd's as well as first hand courses that might help her gain confidence with the 1911 "presentation". For example, the NRA Personal Firearm Defense series(I.C.E. / Rob Pincus) teaches a draw from holster to "low ready", to "high ready". During the transition from low ready to high ready the safety is removed. This same sequence is taught for SA & DA weapons alike(Minus the removal of safety). It also has great info/training with regards to everything from stance to reloads. This type of training program may help your wife become more "comfy" with the 1911 set up.[grin]

mark056:

I've seen many people hold up the 1911 as some mystical object that only gun "experts" can handle. I disagree. It's just a gun. Ayoob has written many things. Some I agree with. Some I don't.

Many of us here on the board carry 1911s on a regular basis. Very, very few of us are able to shoot at a Master level, whether in IDPA or Bullseye or IPSC. When I was competing in IDPA, I was competing at the Sharpshooter level. I think those who competed with me (Cross-X, Jon Green, and others out at Riverside) would agree that I did so safely. Many others at the same matches ran 1911s, ranging from unclassified to Expert level. And they all did so safely.

You don't need to be a Master level shooter to run a 1911 safely.

The idea that somehow a 1911, with a 5 1/2 lb, short travel trigger, and a thumb safety is so difficult and prone to mishandling, but a Glock, with a 5 1/2 lb, short travel trigger and no thumb safety is not just mystifies me. The only effective difference between the two in terms of handling is the thumb safety.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.

I agree with some of the responces here. Make sure she is comfortable with the weapon she is carrying. Provide her with the proper training of drawing and holstering and make sure she knows how the weapon works. Make sure her finger is trained to be out of the trigger guard with practicing too so its automatic.

However..... it all boils down to this and this period no matter what handgun you are carrying. Glock, H&K, Colt, S&W etc. "Finger off the trigger until your on target and ready to fire." If that is pounded into the training, and she has a weapon that she is comfortable with then there should be no problems.

Back
Top Bottom