• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I really need a 10mm 1911???

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So I can never determine what it is that I'm going to want as my next firearm. For some reason I've been getting more and more interested in a 10mm handgun. I'm thinking that since the 1911 is my favorite platform my next firearm will be a 1911 in 10mm. Though that is not set in stone. 10mm is set, but the platform is still up for debate.

So what's your thoughts on 10mm 1911s and if it was your choice what 10mm platform would you prefer?

i like the 1911 for 10mm. it's a good match. my only 1911 10mm is an RIA. mine had premature slide lock open which is due live rounds in the magazine bumping up on the internal lug of the slide stop. it's a common issue with 10mm 1911's and requires re-sizing of the slide stop.

if you value reliability over anything else, get a P220 10mm or a G20/40. the glock will be the cheapest option into the 10mm although if shooting full steam 10mm I opt for a fully supported barrel rather than the glock OEM, so factor in that cost. the Sig P220 has an excellent chamber support as do most 1911's. i would say the P220 provides maximum reliability with accuracy/shootability, at the expense of a rather heavy steel framed pistol. it also only holds 8 rounds which some think is insufficient. to me it doesn't matter since these are fun range guns not really HD or carry options.

if you like 1911's and are willing to deal with a potential problem child, then go 1911. if i were in market for a 10mm 1911 I would get a Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm. if you end up with a 1911 in 10mm i would invest in some Tripp Research mags. the highly coveted wilson combat mags use a polymer follower that engages the steel slide stop, resulting in heavy wear on the follower. it's for this reason most magazines have a metal tab on the follower where it engages the slides stop. for some reason WC decided to skip this step.

--

all this being said, while I'm a fan of 10mm it's not as amazing of a cartridge as many consider. if i want power in a handgun i would opt for a 41 or 44 mag revolver. for the cost I find a quality S&W 629 will provide me a nice single action trigger to put that 44 mag anywhere within 50 yards, or shoot in DA quickly. to get into the game with a quality 10mm pistol i'm looking at least $1200 which gets to a performance center 629. add to this the dropping prices of both 10mm and 44 mag ammo, so neither are prohibitively expensive at least right now.

I have 4 in 10. One kimber, two Rock Island Armorys and one Sig. The Kimber is ok, the Rock Islands are amazingly accurate as is the Sig.
When i shoot this on the range, guys are asking what the hell is that? Its a fun caliber to shoot. I looked at the latest plastic from Springfield Armory, but dont like those. Dont know why, but it is. BTW, the RI are an amazing bargain at less than 700.00 each.

I am really itching to pull the trigger on a 10mm. I recon my first will be a Sig P220 or a Sig 1911 Tacops. Then I would probably go Glock G40 MOS.

I think a steel frame matches the 10mm nicely. 1911 would be a good choice. I was all hopped up on a full size steel Witness until I scored a bastardized Delta Elite on a Para Ordnance frame. Itch has been scratched...

I tried to scratch my itch with a delta elite 3-4 years ago and couldn't find one. the g20 gen4 was plentiful so ended up with that. it's serving the purpose but it's not a 1911. thankfully i'm a glock fan anyway so the disappointment wore off fairly quickly. I've been looking at the springfield armory that came out..what, last year? looks decent. and the 220 also but that might be out of my price range.

Always wanted a 10mm but never got around to getting one. I really like the 1911 platform and love the looks of 2nd and 3rd generation Smith's.

Last edited:
I have a gen3 G20sf. I love the gun despite the fact I have small hands and the grip/trigger reach is a bit much. I reload 10mm so the cost factor does not come into play. I keep thinking of a P220 or a 1911 in 10. The Springfield TRP’s are in 10mm now although I know you are in MA.

the footage is nice and content is interesting. however I can't follow why he employs 180gr projectile (presumably XTP) which per freedom munitions website is going 1120 ft/s. pretty weak. in contrast Underwood offers a 200gr hard cast going 1250 ft/s or a Lehigh 150gr extreme hunter bullet going 1425 ft/s. this guy is using cheap (possibly remanufactured) ammo in a $1300+ pistol.

he is talking about how he isn't sure if the 10mm will provide adequate penetration on a hog. my experience with hunting is limited to turkeys, but i intentionally use the tighest choke possible, hottest magnum 3" load and closest possible shot all to ensure an ethical harvest. a living creature is not something on which to test penetration.

I got my one and only bore with a 4 3/4", freedom Arms , 454. That gun kicked like a mule, but if you can deliver shot placement, the .454 will drop that hog right now.

Always wanted a 10mm but never got around to getting one. I really like the 1911 platform and love the looks of 2nd and 3rd generation Smith's.
Lot of fun to shoot. Not sure I need another 10.

i-CDbhLbt-L.jpg

i like the 1911 for 10mm. it's a good match. my only 1911 10mm is an RIA. mine had premature slide lock open which is due live rounds in the magazine bumping up on the internal lug of the slide stop. it's a common issue with 10mm 1911's and requires re-sizing of the slide stop.
I have the nub ground off on my competition guns, since I never shoot to slide lock and this removes one possible failure point.

- Delta Elite: a classic; accurate; I’ve heard anecdotedly that early frames had issues with hot loads.
- S&W 1006/1066/1046/1086: Classic 3rd gen smiths. Really nice and meaty. Triggers take some breaking in.
- G20SF: solid platform. Very accurate. Can drop in ported and longer barrels and lots of other aftermarket stuff. Might need to undercut the trigger guard but no big deal.
- G29SF: the baby 10. Not as snappy as you would expect. Very accurate for its size. Great woods defense gun if you’re looking for best weight to power ratio.
- Springfield TRP operator: heard that it is built well but pricey.
- Sig p220: they tried and true p220 platform. Heard it’s accurate and old school heavy.
- Sig 1911: don’t know much about it. Presumably external extractor like all Sig 1911’s.
- So many more to choose from too: Kimber, RIA 1911, Dan Wesson 1911, Nighthawk 1911, Fusion 1911, STI 1911 and double stack 2011, G40, S&W 610 (is this being made again?), etc.
- Some other olds ones too: Star Megastar, Springfield Omega and of course the Bren Ten.

What did I miss?

I've 2 10 mm a S&W 610 and a Ruger 1911. Ruger's all stainless,fully supported chamber,target sights and trigger. Only a couple hundred rounds of factory,reloads with jacketed and cast bullets without a bobble.

Back
Top Bottom