• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on an AMT Javalina Longslide in 10mm?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So I've always wanted a Longslide 1911 and this AMT has shown up on my radar and I'm on the fence on whether I should bid on it or not. I've handled some AMT backups and they seemed not that great. Anyone know what their 1911s are like? If I do bid on it I don't think I'm going to go too much for it. So what's your thoughts on the AMTs?

This is the gun I'm looking at:

LS.jpeg

I've owned a few Automag 2 and 3's over the years, when it breaks your f***ed, mags are tough to get, some models more than others. I also had one of their 1911's, the Skipper or some shit like that...pure jam-o-matic.

Edit: sorry it was the Hardballer I owned. You'd be better off with a Kimber! The Javelina also came in 9mm Mag. The gun in the pic is an AMT? maybe it is but every AMT gun I have ever seen has been stainless, guess it could have been refinished.

Last edited:
I hadn't but stories like that always give me pause. I don't mind having a little work done, but not if the bidding gets ridiculous.

If you don't mind getting some work done, I'd say go for it. I bet built up a little it would be awesome for pins. I always wondered what the balance was like for these, if they'd be too front heavy, especially with a near-empty mag.

I had an AMT Longslide back in the mid 80's, it looked way cool, and Arnold used one in the first Terminator movie, but mine was a horrendous jam-o-matic.
I'd be amazed if I ever made it through a full mag without some kind of stoppage.
That was my first 1911 style gun and it turned me off to the platform for a long time.
Years later I finally got another 1911 type pistol, an AO ZG-51 Pitbull, which also turned out to be a huge turd.
It wasn't until 1997 that I'd take a chance on another 1911, third times a charm, right ?
This time I got a genuine Colt and it has been magnificent, still have it, and few others now too.

Opinions are like, well you know. Ask a gunsmith who's familiar with 1911s like Greg Derr or Dave Santurri. I'm sure there are others but I happen to know those two names. That long barrel and slide does reduce recoil quite a bit which you'll probably appreciate with the 10mm.

My first gun was a single action .380 backup. I didn’t know much, and the gun shop sales droid didn’t care, so he sold Winchester Silvertips, which would not feed. It would feed Remington jacketed hollow points just fine.

I shot Massad Ayoob’s LFI1 class, and shot 2nd best score in the class.

It’s not a quality item, but it’s also not a Raven or Jennings. Sad I sold it.

If you get it and want to shoot it compared to a 5", let me know. I didn't know they came in blued. I thought they were all stainless. I prefer blued guns.

Back when I was gun smiting, I did deal with a few AMT Hardballers and one long slide. These guns are rough. The owners of these guns wanted them to be something they were not. You can rework these guns with refitting, fitting new upgraded parts, new barrel and smooth out the rough edges. Spending a lot more then these guns are or will ever be worth and in the end you still have an AMT.
Spend your money more wisely and get a better quaility 1911.
Or if you just want an inexpensive 1911 long slide and don't really care about the fact it is an AMT go for it just don't waist any money trying to make it better or something it isn't.
Also I have never seen an AMT in anything but a rough SS. If this has been coated with some type of finish I would wonder what they are trying to hide.

Back when I was gun smiting, I did deal with a few AMT Hardballers and one long slide. These guns are rough. The owners of these guns wanted them to be something they were not. You can rework these guns with refitting, fitting new upgraded parts, new barrel and smooth out the rough edges. Spending a lot more then these guns are or will ever be worth and in the end you still have an AMT.
Spend your money more wisely and get a better quaility 1911.
Or if you just want an inexpensive 1911 long slide and don't really care about the fact it is an AMT go for it just don't waist any money trying to make it better or something it isn't.
Also I have never seen an AMT in anything but a rough SS. If this has been coated with some type of finish I would wonder what they are trying to hide.
And ground off all the stampings too!

AMTs are hit or miss.

Mine all run well except for 1 of the IIIs.
I thought the one you pictured looked interesting if it could be had cheap. Last couple on GB went north of 2k (imho not worth it). The one you posted about could be cool but if a $ return matters to you that one won't bring it when you go to sell it. That gun has definitely been worked over. In the last 10 years the price has sky rocketed.
I would approach it like a painted DeLorean. All AMTs are stainless, (combo of sand blasted and grained) who knows what that one is coated with. The Javalina and 1911 based AMTs I believe share some but not all parts. Guy on the AMT forum just went through some steps to replace a rear sight.

@JDL is 110% right.

Those guns are $400 junker / "needs help" specials on a good day. Be aware if you buy it it might need a plumber because half of those AMTs are some form of f***ed up....

You'd be better off saving the money and finding a DW bruin or something if you really wanted a 10mm longslide 1911...

Isn't the AMT 7"? If that is the length you want, then I think the only other option is getting a Fusion. I believe Fusion will still make you a 7". They also make 6" longslides. If you want a 6", I agree just get a DW Kodiak or Bruin.

I have an AMT AutoMag III in 30 carbine and it runs great - never had any malfunctions. Not sure about support for parts though...

Attachments

• AMT.jpg
    AMT.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2
My first gun was a single action .380 backup. I didn’t know much, and the gun shop sales droid didn’t care, so he sold Winchester Silvertips, which would not feed. It would feed Remington jacketed hollow points just fine.

A friend of mine bought one of those back in the mid 80's, it actually performed half-decent, but take down and reassembly was a horror show.
It literally takes 3 or 4 hands (or a special holding jig) a hammer and a brass punch. It's something you never want to do a second time.

A friend of mine bought one of those back in the mid 80's, it actually performed half-decent, but take down and reassembly was a horror show.
It literally takes 3 or 4 hands (or a special holding jig) a hammer and a brass punch. It's something you never want to do a second time.
You had to punch out the pin, and tap out the bolt.

I shot an Amt longslide a few times and liked it. I think the AMT longslide is 7" instead of 6. I have a 10mm 1911 and even with a 28 pound spring it throws empties into the next county.
My 1st gen Delta Elite launches brass over the barrier wall between our pistol and rifle ranges. First time I shot it after the new walls were built I couldn't find my brass and was wondering where the hell it went.

I'm a big fan of 10mm but don't think I'd want one as a target or pin gun. Too zesty to stay on target as well as with a 45 which I'd think has plenty of juice to send pins flying.

My 1st gen Delta Elite launches brass over the barrier wall between our pistol and rifle ranges. First time I shot it after the new walls were built I couldn't find my brass and was wondering where the hell it went.

I'm a big fan of 10mm but don't think I'd want one as a target or pin gun. Too zesty to stay on target as well as with a 45 which I'd think has plenty of juice to send pins flying.
The 45 works quite well for pin shoots. Those big slow bullets drive the pins off the table if the shooter can put them in the right place.

Back
Top Bottom