Dash Cam: Canton, OH PD "Notification" Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk

Apparently 16 complaints have been filed against Harless since 2000. But they have a well trained and well rounded force, and this is after all an isolated incident...

This needs to go to trial, both criminal and civil. It is the only way to make sure this kind of behavior is kept in check, and that PD's are policing their own and culling the bad apples.

Harless, 45, an Ohio native and former Marine worked as a police officer in Virginia for four years before coming to Canton in 1996.

During his career he has earned several commendations.

One was from a Virginia judge, who praised the way Harless handled a situation involving a man with a gun, according to records in his city personnel file.

Canton’s internal affairs unit has investigated 16 complaints involving Harless dating back to 2000.

He was reprimanded in one 2003 case. Harless and another officer were exonerated of using excessive force, but were given a letter of reprimand for not activating the in-car video camera at the scene per department policy.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/update-who-is-the-officer-behind-the-viral-canton-police-video/

Last edited:
The officers screwed up in so many ways.

- They were trying to find something to charge these people with, but they really didn't have anything. So they didn't have a plan for managing the situation. They should have just told everyone to disperse.

- Then they decided to search the car without securing the occupants. Had someone actually been an armed criminal, there would be multiple dead people in that video - civilians and police.

- Then when the one officer realized someone was armed, he assumed "criminal" and freaked out because he realized he had royally screwed up the stop.

- And, the cop just assumed the CCW holder was a criminal, which is unacceptable.

- And, the cop just couldn't leave it alone, threatening to harass and execute the CCW holder, for which he deserves jail time.

Folks, we are at the beginning of the end. This kind of abuse of power is rampant throughout the government. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

It looks like it's been pulled down.

It was up a couple hours ago, but now I cant find it. There was a message saying they were taking it down temporarily because they cant keep up with the comments or something. I cant remember how long it was supposed to be for though, it might have been for the weekend. IIRC the cutoff was 3pm.

It was up a couple hours ago, but now I cant find it. There was a message saying they were taking it down temporarily because they cant keep up with the comments or something. I cant remember how long it was supposed to be for though, it might have been for the weekend. IIRC the cutoff was 3pm.

Facebook can't keep up with the comments?

How does Justin Bieber manage to keep his page online?

They were playing it on fox news a couple hours ago. someone from the police department was saying "this is not acceptable behaviour, blah blah blah", but the guy still got arrested, didn't he? How about the DA droping all charges so the poor guy does not need a public defense fund, them firing the douche bag officer, and making a VERY public appology to the poor guy.

The officers screwed up in so many ways.
- And, the cop just couldn't leave it alone, threatening to harass and execute the CCW holder, for which he deserves jail time.

Folks, we are at the beginning of the end. This kind of abuse of power is rampant throughout the government. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

I wonder what legal ground they would have to prosecute this guy if he pulled out his gun and killed the officer who just threatened to kill him? I think a good lawyer would have a pretty solid self defense and police brutality defense.

Facebook can't keep up with the comments?

How does Justin Bieber manage to keep his page online?

No, the PD staff can't keep up with them. They were deleting some of them (so they say) for foul language, advocating violence etc. There was well north of 100 in response to the CoP's statement that was put up as a "note", ALL of them were VERY critical of the officer, most demanded his job and charges, and many were critical of the PD in general. They were all left up. They said it is because anyone 13 and up could access their page, so they didn't want cussing etc. It seems they were reviewing many of them, and responded a few times directly to peoples questions. Over all they were allowing people to speak their minds it seems.

The post said they weren't deleting it, just deactivating it for a period. Small town, I would guess that they don't have much for staffing on the weekends?

Last edited:
Ohio ccw is reporting that the officer has been "relieved of all duties." Bravo.
http://www.ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html
"
UPDATE 7/22/2011: Canton Police announced Thursday that the officer was relieved of all duties in June following an internal investigation complaint filed in this matter. The local Canton Repository has done some additional investigatory work into the officers and an excellent analysis of the video / audio we posted. The video and story has gone both viral and national crossing over to websites not typically affiliated with the pro-gun movement. Shortly after 7:00pm Thursday our website could no longer handle the volume of visitors we were receiving. We promptly quadrupled the resources behind OhioCCW.org in light of the popularity of this story. "

Last edited:
Ohio ccw is reporting that the officer has been "relieved of all duties." Bravo.
http://www.ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html
"
UPDATE 7/22/2011: Canton Police announced Thursday that the officer was relieved of all duties in June following an internal investigation complaint filed in this matter. The local Canton Repository has done some additional investigatory work into the officers and an excellent analysis of the video / audio we posted. The video and story has gone both viral and national crossing over to websites not typically affiliated with the pro-gun movement. Shortly after 7:00pm Thursday our website could no longer handle the volume of visitors we were receiving. We promptly quadrupled the resources behind OhioCCW.org in light of the popularity of this story. "

Ok, now where is the "and the DA is filing criminal charges"? Firing this jerkoff is a start but it shouldn't be the end.

Ok, now where is the "and the DA is filing criminal charges"? Firing this jerkoff is a start but it shouldn't be the end.

Are you sure he was fired? Relieved of all duties and put on paid/sick leave are two different things. Last I read it was relieved of duties and on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

More
http://www.cantonrep.com/carousel/x121489646/Canton-officer-under-investigation-after-concealed-carry-arrest

The dashboard camera in the patrolman’s cruiser recorded the June 8 traffic stop, and the video went viral Thursday after being posted on the website of Ohioans For Concealed Carry and YouTube.

“I think it’s important for citizens to understand that the behavior demonstrated on the video is wholly unacceptable, and it violates many of our rules, our regulations and standards we demand of our officers,” Police Chief Dean McKimm said in response.

Harless, a 14-year department veteran, is under investigation, and was placed on paid administrative leave June 20, according to his personnel file.

He has been on sick leave since Monday, and the results of the internal affairs investigation will be presented at a disciplinary hearing, the chief said.

Sounds like he is still getting paid.

Massachusetts has the two party consent law. I

Video does not require two party consent.

Audio does not require two party consent, but may not be done in a surrepetitious manner, which is why conventional news reporting is allowed but undercover news show stings are illegal in MA.

The MA SJC stated this law is important as allowing persons to make hidden recordings of police could be used by drug dealers to document police misconduct.

How about the DA droping all charges

As soon as they DA drops charges, the state loses the ability to use said charges to coerce an agreement not to sue from the hapless citizen.

I've been following the thread and this story as a whole makes me sick. However, between the heat and me not sleeping well last night my reading comprehension may be a bit off this am. However, by not living up to the obligation of stopping his partner, is that something that he can be charged with (I honestly don't know if that's a crime or not) or should he be charged as an accessory or can he be charged with both?

...I hope I'm making some sense here...gonna go make some coffee now, I haven't had any yet.

in EMS there is this thing called "Duty to Act"

for the LE, they take an oath.... for us Soldier's (service member's) we take an oath as well. so YES, the partner is just a guilty for not stopping it. although i don't have the legal mumbo jumbo, i'm it is out there somewhere. i guess i should have googled a swearing-in oath for a police occifer such as the a**h***s on that tape.

Back
Top Bottom