Dash Cam: Canton, OH PD "Notification" Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk

Basically is this a clear cut case of the guys gun rights being infringed or was this a result of the cop wanting to scare the crap out of this guy so that he never comes back to that area?? The cop says to him if he ever sees his car again he will arrest him and tow his car agian and again?

Different yet similar, this reminds me of those two videos from a while back. Cop arrests kid for being in an area he didn't think he should be in, kid is yelling rape and abuse etc. (granted I cant remember all of the video) Next video: cop walks up, sprays the kid while hes in his car, and kid shoots cop.

This "officer" threatened to kill the guy in cold blood multiple times. He shouldn't fear for his life the next time the cop pulls him over just because he "came back into the area" and the cop "saw his car again" and pulls him over to arrest him? I honestly think a jury would let him off scott free.

How about Improper Operation of a Motor Vehicle (no headlights after dusk) and a stop sign violation? I know they would never fly, but let's just add up all the charges and hope that a few stick. This is what LEOs and DAs do all the time, i.e. Failure to stop for a cross walk added on top of Failure to Stop and Felony Evasion after a chase.
If I were this poor guys lawyer, I would play the, "I will kill you" video over and over in the courtroom. Verrry damning evidence right there...

-JR

-There's no evidence to show he was picking up a hooker. Oh, a lady was talking to a guy in a car through the passenger window, must be a hooker, can't possibly be someone he knew. Back when I was younger I used to stop and talk to people I knew when I was cruising around town. I never had a LEO try to hook me up for soliciting a prostitute. Closest I ever got to that was a Fitchburg LEO telling me and a friend "hey you guys shouldn't be in this parking lot after the lights go out... (the stores had closed in this strip mall and a friend and I were parked alongside one another and just bullshitting) move along please". It wasn't a big deal. The LEO didn't instantly assume we were selling drugs or something similarly insane like that.

-I think this particular LEO hates licensed carriers. I would not be surprised in the least if this was the only time he went full retard on someone with a CCW. This is the kind of LEO that probably disarms every CCW holder he can during a stop, simply because he can. (A FOIA request of complaints against this officer would probably bear my theory out here).

-In the eyes of the law you might be able to levy a weak argument that she was soliciting, but there's no evidence that the guy was a "john" unless cops witnessed money changing hands. Even then that's still only PC unless it was a coordinated sting or something. Why do you think law enforcement goes to great lengths to set up prostitution stings? Because a lady getting handed a wad of cash without the whole contex in play as evidence is not anywhere near enough to secure a conviction. A jury is not going to suck for "bbbbbut we saw him handing her the money!!!" Even the dumbest jury
is going to ask "Well, what was the money for, can you tell us that?" (they obviously can't ask it directly, but it begs the question).

It's none of the cops business what a free person does unless they're actually breaking the law. The most I see here is possibly a traffic citation if the guy was stopped somewhere he shouldn't have been stopped. Even then it's only a civil infraction.

BTW even if the intent was to get the guy to leave (and I'm putting the legal/formal legitimacy of the LEO's ability to do that aside for the moment) I can think of a far more professional way to get the desired behavior out of the interviewee than telling the guy I could shoot him and get away with it (which is basically what this guy did here). Instead of shaking this guy down he could have asked him to move along or something like that.

FTR I'm nowhere near "anti cop". I have friends in law enforcement in different capacities. Most of them would think this guy is an a**h***. The problem with bad cops is that the way the system is set up the good cops are pretty much powerless to do anything about the bad ones, at least if they want to keep their job. (As a fun example of this, look at what that ATF whistleblower is going through, the ATF is trying to/has forced him out, despite the fact of the feds having some whistleblower protection regs on the books). As a generality most LEOs are decent people. It's that 10-20%, or the fully corrupt police departments (say for example, NOPD, or groups like the NY port authority cops) that make the whole lot look bad. The problem is over time the number of bad LEOs are growing, and pushing away good people from the field as a result. The legislators are also enabling bad LEOs by virtue of the legislation they support. It's all the Malum Prohibitum bulls**t on the books that make people hate the police in general. If we didn't have so many laws regulating behavior that doesn't actually directly affect someone, we wouldn't have this problem.

I'll give you a little homework assignment...... go look up "Peel Principles". It was a code of ethics commonly adopted
in British (and subsequently) American law enforcement. Do you think what this LEO did is in alignment with those
principles?

-Mike

Thank You Mike
You made some great points and finally someone answered my question.
Watching the video and seeing the cops take a full 6 minutes to finally talk to the driver didn't make me think that the Cop's safety was his #1 priority.
I thought maybe the Cop was pissed that everyone was lying to him about the solicitation going on and had made up his mind that he was going to make an arrest for anything?
When he finally found out the guy had a gun on him “Yahtzee”.
I wasn't sure if this particular case would be the best one for people to rally behind for better gun laws. That's why I asked what people thought was going on in the video.

Mike, In reply to post 222 (too long to quote) I beleive your correct about the complaints.

Canton’s internal affairs unit has investigated 16 complaints involving Harless dating back to 2000.

He was reprimanded in one 2003 case. Harless and another officer were exonerated of using excessive force, but were given a letter of reprimand for not activating the in-car video camera at the scene per department policy.

Although the Union president says:

UNION REACTS

Bill Adams, president of the Canton Police Patrolmen’s Association, has watched the video of the June incident.

“Obviously whatever transpired on that video is an isolated incident*,” Adams said. “It happened and it’s being handled properly right now and the chief is doing what he feels is necessary.”

Obviously

*Emphasis added.

I had to shut off the video I was getting so pissed off. This cop is and a**h***, bad at even doing his job correctly, takes his embarrassment for failing at his job out on others. He should be fired immediately and not allowed to work in the public sector ever again.

How about Improper Operation of a Motor Vehicle (no headlights after dusk) and a stop sign violation? I know they would never fly, but let's just add up all the charges and hope that a few stick. This is what LEOs and DAs do all the time, i.e. Failure to stop for a cross walk added on top of Failure to Stop and Felony Evasion after a chase.
If I were this poor guys lawyer, I would play the, "I will kill you" video over and over in the courtroom. Verrry damning evidence right there...

-JR

You're assuming a corrupt judiciary would allow it...

If the prosecution has half a brain the charges will be dropped, however, they may require he sign an agreement not to sue in order for that to happen.

If the prosecution has half a brain the charges will be dropped, however, they may require he sign an agreement not to sue in order for that to happen.

I could see that happening. If the DA is stupid enough to take this to trial (two misdemeanors) and the video is submitted as evidence, I do not see how the prosecution could prevail. On the other hand if it does go to trial, and the accused is acquitted and I don't see how he could not be (at least on the LTC notification charge), then I am sure that this would work to his advantage from a litigation stand-point.

Last edited:
I could see that happening. If the DA is stupid enough to take this to trial (two misdemeanors) and the video is submitted as evidence, I do not see how the prosecution could prevail. On the other hand if it does go to trial, and the accused is acquitted and I don't see how he could not be (at least on the LTC notification charge), then I am sure that this would work to his advantage from a litigation stand-point.
If it were up to me, I'd take the criminal and civil trials.

I'm pretty sure I would walk away criminally and rich in tort/deprivation of civil rights under color of law suit.

The Man has handed this guy a golden opportunity. .gov has placed its weener on the table and handed the citizen a hammer to smash it with.

Now's not the time to back away with a half victory. Now it's time to go for the juggular.

If there was ever a case for the SAF, NRA and other 2A organizations along with civil rights organizations to get behind, this is it. With their influence, money and legal teams, they could drop kick the Canton PD into the toilet on this one. It is tme the people start telling the PD to pound sand and put them back in their box, they police need to be handcuffed themselves.

On the facebook, there is a posting that the DA offered to drop everything down to Disorderly Person w/ an agreement not to sue.

That DA is now complicit in the crimes commited by HARLESS and his Partner.

This should not surprise you. The system feeds itself and protects itself.

It is obvious who is the alpha male, and who is the bitch in that relationship...

His partner didn't do "nothing". It seemed to me that he was agreeing with the dbag in parts of the video. He's at the very least an accessory to this crime and yes, he needs to go down too.

Back
Top Bottom