changing gun trends

I also have a P239. Pointless gun in todays world
For concealed carry, I agree, absolutely pointless, to heavy, to large!
For home defense for those with small hands, not a bad option, especially after adding a Hogue grip. The only other option that would probably work for me, for home defense, would be a 1911.

Wait! Is Khar making Derringers now!?
lol his modified gun doesn’t have the end of the RSA there anymore. You can’t make the front shorter without breaking the gun. Or you quickly end up in R9 territory….
79D3F855-DBDC-403B-8FE0-C26080724C5D.jpeg

These were actually cool except for the fact that the recoil spring wears out after a couple hundred rounds…. and it’s pretty much impossible to try to hang onto the gun with both hands while firing because there’s just so little real estate there. That’s the other problem with swoopy McGay Gay trigger guards as well… no undercut at least rohrbaugh kind of acknowledged it here by providing a relief…

For concealed carry, I agree, absolutely pointless, to heavy, to large!
For home defense for those with small hands, not a bad option, especially after adding a Hogue grip. The only other option that would probably work for me, for home defense, would be a 1911.
A Glock 43x, Glock 48, or P365xl would probably be a better choice for someone with small hands. They are available optic ready, can be had with a rail for a light, and have higher capacity.

fits in pocket with pocket holster, no one notices, lets me carry in situation where it might otherwise raise questions. Sure it's a poor replacement for my Walther PP. But it's less expensive, reliable, and puts lead on target every time. Doesn't seem impractical at all. And it's thinner than the P365 so it sits flatter in the pocket.
I pocket carry a PPK. I can’t imagine a 232 would be a problem. I find the extra weight to be almost beneficial in the pocket. What do you use for a pocket holster?

I pocket carry a PPK. I can’t imagine a 232 would be a problem. I find the extra weight to be almost beneficial in the pocket. What do you use for a pocket holster?
POCKET-TUK super simple, just there to cover the trigger, I take the clip off and drop it in the pocket. My office has a dress code and this works perfect to not draw attention. Although to be honest I could leave an AR propped up in the corner and they wouldn't care. But some clients might...... OK, our token Lib would care.

I actually got the p232 to replace my Walther PP. It was showing the holster weare and increasing in value since I got it in 89.

A P232 is gigantic compared to a PPK. Especially with the fat grips, otherwise the rest of the gun is skinny.

A P232 is gigantic compared to a PPK. Especially with the fat grips, otherwise the rest of the gun is skinny.
this is a PP and P232, the PP is about 1/4" longer than the PPK, otherwise identical. The P232 grip is slightly wider in the middle. But for the most part they are the same size.
1662411789935.png 1662411933419.png

Gigantic? Really?

How so? Nothing changed internally. Put down the bottle, Mike.
You cut off the RSA dude. 🤣 aka that little thing on the front of the gun.

ETA: even if you're going to pretend that somehow or another that was hidden inside the dust cover now you've made the entire RSA shorter and 10 bucks says the gun won't work at that point. We're talking about a gun designed by a guy who literally had to patent the trigger to conserve space inside the gun. It's absurd to think he didn't consider making it smaller. Even the MK9/PM9 in 2022 is still near the edge of what you can get away with. I think the only gun that was ever more size efficient (and not completely retarded) was the Boberg XR9-S....

boberg-xr9s-side.jpg

Last edited:
I pocket carry a PPK. I can’t imagine a 232 would be a problem
Isn't the PPK steel, and the 232 aluminum?
for the most part they are the same size
See above. If so, must weigh less, right?

You cut off the RSA dude. 🤣 aka that little thing on the front of the gun.
Not sure what RSA is, but that was a 4 second MS Paint photo job, using the eraser tool. Whatever it is you're talking about would just be moved back 1/8-1/4 inch. Also shrunk the trigger guard, and erased some material off the back. Take it for what it is: "thinking out loud" using MS Paint; not Japanese or Italian design school. This is the "Changing Gun Trend" thread on a firearms page. You're over-thinking it Mike. Open your mind a teensy bit to the thought that the Kahr could be slimmed ever so lightly.

True, but I think the slide on the 232 is heaver. Objectively, holding them no scale, the feel very close. The 232 feels just enough lighter to be able to tell.

Not sure what RSA is, but that was a 4 second MS Paint photo job, using the eraser tool. Whatever it is you're talking about would just be moved back 1/8-1/4 inch. Also shrunk the trigger guard, and erased some material off the back. Take it for what it is: "thinking out loud" using MS Paint; not Japanese or Italian design school. This is the "Changing Gun Trend" thread on a firearms page. You're over-thinking it Mike. Open your mind a teensy bit to the thought that the Kahr could be slimmed ever so lightly.

Recoil Spring Assembly

You can't do that without breaking the gun.

My point is "you cant get there from here" unless you're going to come up with an action that violates the laws of physics or maybe use a different action type.... but even with the latter there's a limit to what you can do anyways.

Usually every time some manufacturer gets too cute and gets close to the edge everyone else ends up paying for it in the form of a broken gun.... think Springfield micro compact, etc. Junk.

All this cosmetic stuff does is ends up causing other problems. basically you think it's free lunch but I disagree because I've seen otherwise. "Making the gun look pretty" as a design priority ends up just f****** you up in the ass in the real world. 🤣

True, but I think the slide on the 232 is heaver. Objectively, holding them no scale, the feel very close. The 232 feels just enough lighter to be able to tell.
P230 is AL frame P232 is stainless (or maybe irs the 232SL). I would better p230 is definitely lighter than a PPK

@Coyote33 also Aesthetics are pretty much like 4th or fifth fiddle.... nobody has ever said to me "I otherwise like this gun but it looks ugly so I'm not buying it". It's literally just not important in the bulk of sales anymore. Ergonomics and form factor are king.
People buy guns for aesthetics alone all the time.

lol his modified gun doesn’t have the end of the RSA there anymore. You can’t make the front shorter without breaking the gun. Or you quickly end up in R9 territory….
View attachment 658380

These were actually cool except for the fact that the recoil spring wears out after a couple hundred rounds…. and it’s pretty much impossible to try to hang onto the gun with both hands while firing because there’s just so little real estate there. That’s the other problem with swoopy McGay Gay trigger guards as well… no undercut at least rohrbaugh kind of acknowledged it here by providing a relief…
That actually looks halfway decent. Are they still available? Know if they are any good?

Decreasing the size of the trigger guard has a down side — harder to use while wearing gloves.
Not a concern. In the winter, normal size guns are more easily carried.

Boy oh boy, are we ever deep in the weeds of three or four guns most of us don't really care anything about! Amazing how the internet works!
This discussion was about gun trends. I think 1/2 of this came out of "guns getting smaller" conversation.

People buy guns for aesthetics alone all the time.
Not often in the category of guns that we're talking about. That's an impossibly small percentage of the market that's literally not even worth caring about. If people want pretty looking pocket guns they can still go out and buy a PPK or a Seecamp. (Both of which are still made).

That actually looks halfway decent. Are they still available? Know if they are any good?

The R9 works great as long as you stick to their doctorine of changing the recoil spring every 200 rds or so and not using really hot ammo.... (the gun is so small you wouldn't want +p here anyways) you also had to have about $1,200 to spend but I don't even know if they make them anymore.

Please compare apples to apples.

You can't compare this thing:
View attachment 658149

To this work of art in 45/70 (my rifle):

View attachment 658150

I now use it without a scope. Let me know how well you shoot your Ruger without a scope.

Roughly 400,000 Siamese Mausers were manufactured, which means there are 399,999 you can buy.

As far as the old barrel ... f*ck that, rebarrel.
Both look like sniper rifflez to me

Boy oh boy, are we ever deep in the weeds of three or four guns most of us don't really care anything about! Amazing how the internet works!
Shush, LOL. The Boberg is a pretty cool piece of engineering. The one thing I don't get is the case foam extra space at the muzzle end. Phantom barrel pain after the amputation? Props to @drgrant for mentioning it.

pix776207420.jpg

Being that way talking about small guns that's probably about 80% of the "trending" in the industry...... autos that hold 10-12 rounds or
less, targeting growing carry market. If I was going to hazard a guess these type of guns probably make up like a easy 70% of all new handgun sales today. Shields, 365, hellcat, 43x, 43.... 42, bg380, lcp, lcp max etc. And smaller guns, even.

Shush, LOL. The Boberg is a pretty cool piece of engineering. The one thing I don't get is the case foam extra space at the muzzle end. Phantom barrel pain after the amputation? Props to @drgrant for mentioning it.

pix776207420.jpg
I don't know if he ever made it but I think there is actually a version with a longer barrel I think it was just called the xr9 or (xr9-c?) so they probably made boxes to accommodate both guns....

If people want pretty looking pocket guns they can still go out and buy a PPK or a Seecamp. (Both of which are still made).
Wait, I thought it was YOU who was saying these (PPK) are too big for pocket carry. Now you've got me confused.

232/PPK too light or too heavy, Mike? Pocketable or NOT pocketable? Those guns seem to have you over a barrel whichever way you turn.

Wait, I thought it was YOU who was saying these (PPK) are too big for pocket carry. Now you've got me confused.

232/PPK too light or too heavy, Mike? Pocketable or NOT pocketable? Those guns seem to have you over a barrel whichever way you turn.
My point is if aesthetics are important you have stuff to buy, even if the choices are dumb or not too practical. Outside of the trigger being awful the PPK is actually a decent carry gun form factor wise, assuming you have one that's reliable. There are worse guns to carry.

"form factor wise"
You got me. Size? Shape? Aesthetics? Which is it? Sounds like we're talking about the same thing this entire time, but you refuse to consider a smaller version of this is possible, or a different gun that is smaller but not butt ugly. I refuse to accept too big AND too ugly. There is a place for bigger guns. Guns never need to be ugly, but I guess for some reasons (probably cost being biggest), are willing to accept some ugliness. Go back and look at the "Yeet Cannon".

You got me. Size? Shape? Aesthetics? Which is it? Sounds like we're talking about the same thing this entire time, but you refuse to consider a smaller version of this is possible, or a different gun that is smaller but not butt ugly. I refuse to accept too big AND too ugly. There is a place for bigger guns. Guns never need to be ugly, but I guess for some reasons (probably cost being biggest), are willing to accept some ugliness.

Some of it is cost, some is mechanics/physics( Aesthetics actually interfere with the function of the gun you can't have faggedy swooping trigger guards and mount flashlights at the same time, on some guns) the rest of it is is that it quite literally doesn't matter.... basically nobody except for you actually cares. 🤣 that's being polite.... these guns are tools for most people not show pieces. You're asking for silver hammers in a market where nobody cares about buying a silver hammer.

Go back and look at the "Yeet Cannon".
Yeah but that's hi point, the special ed bus of firearms. There's nothing there but cost optimization nothing else is happening..... 🤣

Last edited:
P230 is AL frame P232 is stainless (or maybe irs the 232SL). I would better p230 is definitely lighter than a PPK
Both the 230 and 232 came in either AL, blue finish, or steel, stainless steel finish.

My PP is just a little heavier than the PPK, with it's slightly longer barrel and identical frame. And I can tell you that the P232 (in AL) is so close in weight that you wouldn't notice unless you were holding both, which is what I did.

I will say I like the flatter grip of the Walther better, it's just enough to notice when carrying. That's why I recently got a West German PPK/S, figured it could replace my PP as a carrier instead of the p232. Problem is, when I got the PPK/S it's in perfect condition, I doubt it's been fired beyond the factory test. I've never had a safe queen, but it's tempting to keep it so perfectly clean.

Both the 230 and 232 came in either AL, blue finish, or steel, stainless steel finish.

My PP is just a little heavier than the PPK, with it's slightly longer barrel and identical frame. And I can tell you that the P232 (in AL) is so close in weight that you wouldn't notice unless you were holding both, which is what I did.

I will say I like the flatter grip of the Walther better, it's just enough to notice when carrying. That's why I recently got a West German PPK/S, figured it could replace my PP as a carrier instead of the p232. Problem is, when I got the PPK/S it's in perfect condition, I doubt it's been fired beyond the factory test. I've never had a safe queen, but it's tempting to keep it so perfectly clean.
One huge advantage is the P23x have infinitely better DA triggers than the walther.

Back
Top Bottom