• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

changing gun trends

greencobra

NES Member
besides the political shit we deal with daily, do any of you guys ever sit back with a beverage and ponder the changes you've seen in your time as a firearms enthusiast? two that i think about is...watching the semiautomatic pistol push to the forefront while tossing revolvers to the curb and the other, the emergence of the anemic, weak ass european cartridge with one bullet style and loading, the 9mm, into a powerhouse heavyweight contender. with several bullet weights and styles available to the reloader now as well as a bunch of commercially loaded good loads offered too. the 9mm has shocked me the most. knocking the .45acp almost out of the conversation.

Last edited:
I'm shocked at how small a carry gun can be. 10 years ago, a Glock19 was the standard CC gun. When politicians like Obama pushed gun control shit, Americans, including myself, bought arms in droves. CC took off like the wind. The S&W Shield was the biggest selling gun at the time. Everyone had to have one. Now the Sig P365 is smaller and holds more rounds, making the Shield obsolete. Everyone has to have one of those too. People want to have a gun on them. They feel like they need to protect themselves now, more than any other time before. In 10 years, we went from Glock19 to a pocket Sig. Who knows what another 10 years will bring?

I'm shocked at how small a carry gun can be. 10 years ago, a Glock19 was the standard CC gun. When politicians like Obama pushed gun control shit, Americans, including myself, bought arms in droves. CC took off like the wind. The S&W Shield was the biggest selling gun at the time. Everyone had to have one. Now the Sig P365 is smaller and holds more rounds, making the Shield obsolete. Everyone has to have one of those too. People want to have a gun on them. They feel like they need to protect themselves now, more than any other time before. In 10 years, we went from Glock19 to a pocket Sig. Who knows what another 10 years will bring?
I'll give you that pocket pistols have taken off, but I've owned a Glock 26 for 15+ years, and it wasn't new then.

the changes you've seen in your time as a firearms enthusiast
as it gets more and more expensive - you have to sacrifice the guns variety for the consolidation of calibers. ammo gets scarce, so, the old days of having 10 handgun calibers - for me at least, now, is just a silly talk. a 5k 9mm ammo stash is better than a 5 1k different caliber stashes.
as of revolvers - some love them, they are indeed fun, but, it is now strictly in the collectibles area, and i treat my guns as i treat my hammers - they have to be practical first, and all the rest second. cannot see any practical side, in todays world, for revolvers.

and, as gen x - i love good old revolvers, absolutely. and will keep loving them, from the distance. :) glocks are for the fight, CZ is for the fun, sig p365 for an EDC.

In my opinion, there hasn't been enough innovation.
Granted there are only so many ways of designing a pistol to fit the hand, fit the ammo, fit the intended use, fit the shooter's aiming requirements.

If you think about it, John Moses Browning was way ahead of his time and set many of today's handgun's benchmarks...

But where's the innovation? Who is the next JMB?

millennials are the old farts now, the gen Z is young. and the gen alpha will be here shortly.
iu

So Hello Kitty and Bronies?

iu

So Hello Kitty and Bronies?
had to google it. :)
"They build motorcycles. They drink beer. And they love ‘My Little Pony.’ And—would you believe—there’s not anything wrong with that."

besides the political shit we deal with daily, does any of you guys ever sit back with a beverage and ponder the changes you've seen in your time as a firearms enthusiast? two that i think about is...watching the semiautomatic pistol push to the forefront while tossing revolvers to the curb and the other, the emergence of the anemic, weak ass european cartridge with one bullet style and loading, the 9mm, into a powerhouse heavyweight contender. with several bullet weights and styles available to the reloader now as well as a bunch of commercially loaded good loads offered too. the 9mm has shocked me the most. knocking the .45acp almost out of the conversation.
1. Revolvers- this is due to companies that used to take pride on building cool sh*t stopping. Example: RUGER and SW. there was a time when they would build 454, 480 Ruger, 500, 460 ... and a lot of 44mag. Today, Ruger sh*t the bed and SW seems to focus on 75 different versions of the same revolver in either 357 or 9mm.

Few companies are keeping interesring revolvers alive, companies like Freedom Arms and Magnum Research. We could also add Taurus since they seem to have a better selection than SW and Ruger - but the support for Taurus guns s*cks a**. But they are trying.

But revolver overall where never that big, at least not in the last 60 or so years. Seems like it was mostly SW pushing revolvers, and they still do, they just stopped taking pride in X frame revolvers and all their Performance Center stuff is mostly junk.

Besides the interesting revolvers, there are a few others keeping revolvers alive in the Cowboy market - Uberti, Pedersoli ... Uberti and Pedersoli revolvers and lever actions are great quality. Their lever actions are second to none.

2. 9mm. Bruh, with the cost of ammo, what do you expect? ... also 1911 are everywhere. I don't think the 9mm pushed 45 ACP anywhere, the people that enjoy 45 still shoot it. But 9mm is a lot more convenient.

Also, 45 can be reloaded with small primers, which today is huge. I have a lot of small primers left, I will not pay $120 for large primers, so f*ck it, I reload 45 with small primers. Just makes sense and there is no difference between small, large, small Magnum, large Magnum primers. The difference is negligible. If it wasn't for different sizes they would all be interchangeable.

What bothers me is all the junk companies make. For every decent gun there are 10 junk guns in the same segment.

I get it, business are in the business of making money and people like to buy sh*t. But gun manufacturers are small enough that having a division creating good stuff is doable.

But then there is also the point at which you don't want cheap sh*t, you start to appreciate quality. Right now, there isn't a single gun I want that is under $1K. The only quality guns I would buy right now under $1K are Uberti revolvers or a Magnum Research semi auto.

For every person like me there are Probably 20 new gun owners that buy 20 cheap polymer guns when I only buy one nice gun. So companies cater to those people.

Last edited:
when my mind wanders i often think about how to get young people into shooting
Become active in your club, and put on events young people will attend. Then reach out and get them to join as junior members. Then have them bring their parents into the fold. Also reach out to your schools for fishing/hunting clubs, and work on it from that angle. Do both of these at the same time. Also, start a BB/air gun range at your club. They need to start somewhere. Ideally, locate it not far from your .22 range.

In my opinion, there hasn't been enough innovation.
Granted there are only so many ways of designing a pistol to fit the hand, fit the ammo, fit the intended use, fit the shooter's aiming requirements.

If you think about it, John Moses Browning was way ahead of his time and set many of today's handgun's benchmarks...

But where's the innovation? Who is the next JMB?

KelTec is an innovator for sure. If they could bring the quality up a notch, they would absolutely kick butt.

A returnof the glock 19. Followed by the return of the revolver

People love smaller guns esp in restrictive states like MA and CT cause the second amendment only goes up to ten rounds here. Why carry a Glock 19 designed for 15 when you have to use cuck mags when you can get a Glock 43X designed for a flush democrat compliant ten? Or Sig or HK P30SK fat boi, etc.

People love smaller guns esp in restrictive states like MA and CT cause the second amendment only goes up to ten rounds here. Why carry a Glock 19 designed for 15 when you have to use cuck mags when you can get a Glock 43X designed for a flush democrat compliant ten? Or Sig or HK P30SK fat boi, etc.
Yup. During the Clinton federal AWB, I bought a Glock 30 with this thought process. I wound up really liking it and keeping it for a decade after the AWB sunsetted.

The widespread acceptance of plastic guns surprises me. I'm fine with it: they're not for me, but their runaway success has impressed me. Who knew that all you had to do was replace "plastic" with "polymer" to make people feel great about it?

Also, I got into guns during the AWB. As a guy who used to carry an M4 around, the commercial success of the AR since 2004 surprises me. When I wanted to get an M16 analog to practice with, I had to buy an M1 carbine.

The trend I like least is the rise in the prices of milsurps, especially SMLEs. Grrr.

I've also noticed more people just getting into guns now gravitating towards small, fancy featured subcompacts for their first gun. Don't think it's the wisest choice but concealment seems to be the primary focus. They also seem to love tan tacticool colors over black and talk about upgrading sights before even shooting the pistol.

Meanwhile, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a standard P226, 1911s, CZs, and other full size pistols when I was looking for my first gun 🤷‍♂️

besides the political shit we deal with daily, does any of you guys ever sit back with a beverage and ponder the changes you've seen in your time as a firearms enthusiast?
Well, I am old (really old!) and the biggest change in my lifetime as a firearms enthusiast was the emergence, and now dominance, of the lightweight, cheap-to-make, plastic semi-auto handgun. It has changed how people think of handguns forever. Some (most?) would say for the better... others, maybe not so much.

I recognize that my dedication to the traditional, old-fashioned art of gunmaking is a dying thing. Guns are merely assembled now. There is no art or skill or craftsmanship to it anymore. Just ladies sitting at a table putting pieces together like a puzzle. Could be any product. They don't care. Sad for me to think about it that way when members of my family before me were highly-skilled gunmakers. The plastic things work, but they are not guns to me... just cheap, throw-away bullet dispensers.

The plastic gun of the moment seems to be the Taurus G3C. Oh joy. I guess it beat out the Canik for lowest price point. Nice. :rolleyes:

Only one phrase comes to mind. Crotch Maser. @Broccoli Iglesias will probably be the model on the sales brochure.

Mass amplified by stimulated emission of radiation is coming folks! It's coming. From the crotch.

K. In other words, I actually think lever actions are going to come way back into favor. Think like a KSG with three discrete tubes of 9mm and a 16" barrel. Tubes get past mag limits. Flip switch. Get new tube. With something like 38spl, I think you could even clip load full stacks.

Got to be lever action though. Pump is about to be nerfed.

Only one phrase comes to mind. Crotch Maser. @Broccoli Iglesias will probably be the model on the sales brochure.

Mass amplified by stimulated emission of radiation is coming folks! It's coming. From the crotch.

K. In other words, I actually think lever actions are going to come way back into favor. Think like a KSG with three discrete tubes of 9mm and a 16" barrel. Tubes get past mag limits. Flip switch. Get new tube. With something like 38spl, I think you could even clip load full stacks.

Got to be lever action though. Pump is about to be nerfed.
I have my leopard speedo ready for the marketing campaign.
download (2).jpeg

Manufacturers will always try to reinvent the wheel. It's all about the dollars. If they didn't keep coming up with something new, they'd become extinct.

besides the political shit we deal with daily, does any of you guys ever sit back with a beverage and ponder the changes you've seen in your time as a firearms enthusiast? two that i think about is...watching the semiautomatic pistol push to the forefront while tossing revolvers to the curb and the other, the emergence of the anemic, weak ass european cartridge with one bullet style and loading, the 9mm, into a powerhouse heavyweight contender. with several bullet weights and styles available to the reloader now as well as a bunch of commercially loaded good loads offered too. the 9mm has shocked me the most. knocking the .45acp almost out of the conversation.

The same thing that makes 9mm so much badder & hotter now is applied to 45ACP too. It's an arms race and 45 will always have the volume edge and more energy than 9 so it is futile.

Back
Top Bottom