changing gun trends

The third was the rapid acceptance of the AR platform, particularly after the end of the 1994 AWB. Until the AWB, I had never even considered an AR platform rifle. Almost all rifles were either bolt action or lever action. About the only semi-auto rifles I was aware of was the M1 Grand and the M1 Carbine. Prior to that I subscribed to the bad reputation the M16/AR had gotten early on in Vietnam from the cost saving measures that the Army's bean counters introduced (switching form extruded IMR 4475 gunpowder to WC 846 ball and not chrome lining the chamber). They also were quite expensive and used that punny .223 Remington cartridge when we all knew that the only "real" rifle calibers were .30-06 and .308 (plus .30-30 for lever actions). But after the end of the AWB in 2004 the popularity of the AR type really took off, and they are now by far the most popular class of rifle.

This is pure gold, thanks for taking the time to write this out. Was just telling someone the other day, the 94AWB was responsible for making ARs the most popular rifle ever.

over the years I've followed the issue?

revolvers kicked to the curb for large capacity polymer striker fired pistols

AWB94, and it sunsetting in the free world but not MA

.40 becoming the must have round, and getting kicked to the curb in a big way

people getting active in restoring gun rights eroded over the last 30+ years

as mentioned earlier smaller pistols that make it easier to CCW ....

9mm becoming the most prevalent round

.223 and 5.56 rifles becoming the new shotgun... every home has one

nobody talks about shotguns anymore.... Rem 870, Moss 500 are barely mentioned anymore

scopes and optics on carry pistols.... guys that hat Crimson Trace lasers on their guns used to get reamed... stop using toys, toys fail, good old fashioned sites are best,

Gucci pistols,,,, clapped out Glocks ,, beyond tacticool

80% anything

Last edited:
What is Ruger's latest stance? Was unaware there was an issue.
Against getting rid of nfa. Same as daniel defense.

S&W was the only one to give a semi positive answer back.

I mean i understand it, but there was a way better way to address it.
Just put a litlle bit of sour taste in my mouth

I'm not as old as anyone else here, but in my short time the trend I've noticed is the explosion of all the companies now making AR-15's and the resulting drop in prices due to the mass production and competition. It use to be that if you wanted a cheap semi auto rifle with detachable mags in an intermediate cartridge, you bought an AK import and they were roughly $400 while the AR's were a lot more (at the time). Now, you can't buy even a decent AK anymore for under a grand, but the cheapest AR that a few years ago you could buy for under $500 was a damn high quality rifle.

This trend has led to yet another, which is the explosion of hunting calibers built specifically for use in the AR and how that is now replacing the venerable bolt action .30 calibers that have been the center of the hunting market for the better part of the last 70 years.

Something else that has become a changing trend is the lack of value in milsurp firearms. Everyone now knows that SKS that were selling for under 100 bucks in the 90s are good shooters worth more than that, but when they're pushing $500 for the Chinese clones and the shittiest Mosins are tough to get for under $400 after tax, shipping, fees, not too mention the concerns of future ammo availablity and the cost of the ammo that once was cheap and a major driving force for the number of them that people bought, the milsurp market is now a collectors market, not a budget gun outfitters or prepper haven.

Really, for those types now the best bargains are going to be found on Palmetto State Armory's website.

For handguns the past 10-15 years and the sunsetting of the AWB has exposed the weakness in revolvers as semi autos dominate. It's gotten to the point the last few years the manufacturer's are almost solely focused on churning out poly framed pistols (mostly in 9mm) and don't even bother making revolvers anymore. I've noticed Taurus, while they still make some, the absence of many of their revolvers in terms of being available while the semi autos that are polymer are everywhere.

It goes beyond just popularity, the work that's required to make revolvers and the declining quality of them across all manufacturers is showing that the drive just isn't there with the gun makers.

It's really something to consider as I recently saw a video from someone about the video game industry and how with all the money and technology that is available to the developers of games today, the same developers who 20 years ago were making the most popular games that even boomers who have never played a game in their life have heard of, they don't make new games anymore, they just release updated versions of the same games they made years ago with the promise of "better graphics and realism" being the only selling point. The bottom line is that when these companies have gone so long making millions off work that isn't as hard, there is no drive for them to work hard to make a product that is innovative or good.

It's not just the big name game developers that are having issues with being mediocre, even the mid tier developers who try to make new games today all they do is follow the same formula of the bigger devs in making similar games simply because they will make the most amount of profit for the least amount of effort.

I think we're seeing that with companies that were largely built on making revolvers (Ruger, S&W, Taurus) where they make more money manufacturing bland products that require less effort and the consumer laps it up not realizing that by doing so they're killing the incentive to innovate.

Last edited:
as it gets more and more expensive - you have to sacrifice the guns variety for the consolidation of calibers. ammo gets scarce, so, the old days of having 10 handgun calibers - for me at least, now, is just a silly talk. a 5k 9mm ammo stash is better than a 5 1k different caliber stashes.
as of revolvers - some love them, they are indeed fun, but, it is now strictly in the collectibles area, and i treat my guns as i treat my hammers - they have to be practical first, and all the rest second. cannot see any practical side, in todays world, for revolvers.

and, as gen x - i love good old revolvers, absolutely. and will keep loving them, from the distance. :) glocks are for the fight, CZ is for the fun, sig p365 for an EDC.
I'll disagree with you on the "no practical side for revolvers". I carry a j frame daily. It's a very practical tool imo. I don't leave the house expecting to get in a mall shootout against multiple "perps". It's small, light, works, and I shoot it well. For me it's the perfect tool for daily carry wher I go.

Just like the debate between the small block and big block V8's, I say "there's no replacement for displacement". [smile]
What does the .45 do that 9mm doesn't in an very small pistol? The capacity would suck, the recoil higher, and ammo cost also higher.

And this is coming from someone who is NOT a 9mm fanboy

I'm shocked at how small a carry gun can be. 10 years ago, a Glock19 was the standard CC gun. When politicians like Obama pushed gun control shit, Americans, including myself, bought arms in droves. CC took off like the wind. The S&W Shield was the biggest selling gun at the time. Everyone had to have one. Now the Sig P365 is smaller and holds more rounds, making the Shield obsolete. Everyone has to have one of those too. People want to have a gun on them. They feel like they need to protect themselves now, more than any other time before. In 10 years, we went from Glock19 to a pocket Sig. Who knows what another 10 years will bring?
The resurgence of the .32

Only one phrase comes to mind. Crotch Maser. @Broccoli Iglesias will probably be the model on the sales brochure.

Mass amplified by stimulated emission of radiation is coming folks! It's coming. From the crotch.

K. In other words, I actually think lever actions are going to come way back into favor. Think like a KSG with three discrete tubes of 9mm and a 16" barrel. Tubes get past mag limits. Flip switch. Get new tube. With something like 38spl, I think you could even clip load full stacks.

Got to be lever action though. Pump is about to be nerfed.
I've been wondering where the tubeular magazinr rifles in a rimless cartridge have been as I feel a 9mm lever gun would sell like crack outside Hunter Biden's house, but they're not being made. I assume being rimless and taper crimped causes issues.

All the more reason I feel rimmed versions of semi auto calibers should be a thing. Buy a revolcee in 9mm Rimmed and you can shoot that or 9mm with a moon clip in it. Then it would also work in lever actions.

Really, I'd rather have that in 10mm, it would completely replace .357 Magnum.

I'll disagree with you on the "no practical side for revolvers". I carry a j frame daily. It's a very practical tool imo. I don't leave the house expecting to get in a mall shootout against multiple "perps". It's small, light, works, and I shoot it well. For me it's the perfect tool for daily carry wher I go.
People forget that a guaranteed 5, 6, or 7 shots has a hell of a benefit over stovepiping, FTF, double feeding semi autos.

People forget that a guaranteed 5, 6, or 7 shots has a hell of a benefit over stovepiping, FTF, double feeding semi autos.
As a recolver carrier I concede that most modern carry semi autos are VERY reliable. That's not why I carry the revolver. I just prefer the simplified manual of arms. I stick 5 rounds in the cylinder, close it and holster it. Autoloader are not that much harder to use as well but for some reason I just prefer my revolver and don't feel under gunned carrying it for where I spend my time.

For handguns the past 10-15 years and the sunsetting of the AWB has exposed the weakness in revolvers as semi autos dominate. It's gotten to the point the last few years the manufacturer's are almost solely focused on churning out poly framed pistols (mostly in 9mm) and don't even bother making revolvers anymore. I've noticed Taurus, while they still make some, the absence of many of their revolvers in terms of being available while the semi autos that are polymer are everywhere.

It goes beyond just popularity, the work that's required to make revolvers and the declining quality of them across all manufacturers is showing that the drive just isn't there with the gun makers.

It's really something to consider as I recently saw a video from someone about the video game industry and how with all the money and technology that is available to the developers of games today, the same developers who 20 years ago were making the most popular games that even boomers who have never played a game in their life have heard of, they don't make new games anymore, they just release updated versions of the same games they made years ago with the promise of "better graphics and realism" being the only selling point. The bottom line is that when these companies have gone so long making millions off work that isn't as hard, there is no drive for them to work hard to make a product that is innovative or good.

It's not just the big name game developers that are having issues with being mediocre, even the mid tier developers who try to make new games today all they do is follow the same formula of the bigger devs in making similar games simply because they will make the most amount of profit for the least amount of effort.

I think we're seeing that with companies that were largely built on making revolvers (Ruger, S&W, Taurus) where they make more money manufacturing bland products that require less effort and the consumer laps it up not realizing that by doing so they're killing the incentive to innovate.
I don't think it's correct to dismiss all polymer frame guns as the same and I would argue that there has been innovation amount them. Just look at the P365 - absolute game changer that forced others to release new products to try and compete with it. And before anyone points to Glock doing the same old thing - that's part of the appeal, that whichever model you pick up from the last 35 years, they all have the same manual or arms.

Well one weird thing I witnessed during covid is that people were willing to buy just about anything if they felt that society was about to collapse. The 'unprepared' found themselves in a pickle and willing to accept something without even having ammo, at which point one may as well just have a club.

When I first got my LTC I went on a buying spree buying up the guns that I thought I wanted. So now I'm good or so I thought. These days I feel like I'm more of a connoisseur. I want very specific things and rather than just buying for the sake of buying I'm much more selective in what I want. I'm willing to wait for the right thing to come along. So I look at new stuff and I think what makes this different? Firearms technology seems to be converging as the rush to add more features means that they are starting to all look alike. Yes I'm also well aware that I started a thread the other day about the new M&P 2.0 metal, but to me a carry gun is completely different than a connoisseur weapon that only comes out for range day.

Well one weird thing I witnessed during covid is that people were willing to buy just about anything if they felt that society was about to collapse. The 'unprepared' found themselves in a pickle and willing to accept something without even having ammo, at which point one may as well just have a club.

When I first got my LTC I went on a buying spree buying up the guns that I thought I wanted. So now I'm good or so I thought. These days I feel like I'm more of a connoisseur. I want very specific things and rather than just buying for the sake of buying I'm much more selective in what I want. I'm willing to wait for the right thing to come along. So I look at new stuff and I think what makes this different? Firearms technology seems to be converging as the rush to add more features means that they are starting to all look alike. Yes I'm also well aware that I started a thread the other day about the new M&P 2.0 metal, but to me a carry gun is completely different than a connoisseur weapon that only comes out for range day.
During covid 2020 new gun owners went friggin crazy. 2020 I was at cabelas (to buy some camping stuff) but of course checked out the gun section while I was there. The ammo aisles were blown out except for some shotgun ammo and a guy and his girlfriend/wife were waiting for their nics check to go through on a 9mm pistol they just bought and were trying to find ammo. He was walking around talking to his girl and had a box of berry's 9mm projos in his hand. I heard their conversation and I politely mentioned those are just bullets not loaded ammo. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and said didn't know you could make your own and asked what he needed to load his own. I said I don't have the time to tell you everything the wife's waiting for me in the car.....but it involves some research on your end and some equipment and components that is even not available right now. Told him powder is hard to get......he said well they have shotgun ammo can I take those apart and use the powder and just push these bullets into empty cases? I Said no.......see that big Lyman manual there? Start with reading that it's very specific load recipes and Said good luck. 😳

During covid 2020 new gun owners went friggin crazy. 2020 I was at cabelas (to buy some camping stuff) but of course checked out the gun section while I was there. The ammo aisles were blown out except for some shotgun ammo and a guy and his girlfriend/wife were waiting for their nics check to go through on a 9mm pistol they just bought and were trying to find ammo. He was walking around talking to his girl and had a box of berry's 9mm projos in his hand. I heard their conversation and I politely mentioned those are just bullets not loaded ammo. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and said didn't know you could make your own and asked what he needed to load his own. I said I don't have the time to tell you everything the wife's waiting for me in the car.....but it involves some research on your end and some equipment and components that is even not available right now. Told him powder is hard to get......he said well they have shotgun ammo can I take those apart and use the powder and just push these bullets into empty cases? I Said no.......see that big Lyman manual there? Start with reading that it's very specific load recipes and Said good luck. 😳

I remember going to pick up my Ruger revolver at my local shop and there were 5 people in the store asking about taking the class, how to get a license, when is the next class, can is sign up right now and why is it so difficult to buy a gun. Not kidding. This was right at the point when attorney general Horse Face tried to shut down the gun shops. I felt like giving these bozos a finger waving lecture about 'you voted for this you stupid bozo' but I bit my tongue and smirked at them because I was leaving the shop with a gun and they were going to walk out empty handed. Yet these same idiots will vote for commandant Biden again and when the S really does hit the fan, well I hope they enjoy their short ride in the cattle car that they voted for.

Back
Top Bottom