changing gun trends

If it can get off the ground, I think .30SC could become really popular within 10 years. Perfect fit for p365 size format. Someone will make a 15+1 flush fit for a 365XL sized carry gun. Then we will all argue about .30 vs 9 the same way people used to argue about 9 vs 40.

On the other hand, the civilian market tends to follow whatever the FBI and police are doing, and I suspect they won't be getting rid of their 9's. LE contracts mean mass produced ammo. /shrug
30SC is an answer to a question nobody asked, the average gun buyer doesn't get a boner off a gun that carries a couple extra rounds.

I dont even know what the f*** 32 SC
It’s Federal .30 Super Carry. It’s meant to fill the gap between .380 and 9mm. It is almost 9mm power (so they claim) but in a smaller diameter cartridge. So in a gun like a S&W Shield, you’ll get 2 or 3 more rounds in .30 SC than in 9mm.

.30SC is definitely the answer to a question that I’ve never asked.

30SC would be a lot more interesting in a very tiny gun. EG vs 380. Even then I still can't see it getting traction

It’s Federal .30 Super Carry. It’s meant to fill the gap between .380 and 9mm. It is almost 9mm power (so they claim) but in a smaller diameter cartridge. So in a gun like a S&W Shield, you’ll get 2 or 3 more rounds in .30 SC than in 9mm.

Oh is that the one that came out this year? I think I saw it on tfabtv

30SC would be a lot more interesting in a very tiny gun. EG vs 380. Even then I still can't see it getting traction
Yeah, I really don’t understand why Federal spent all that time and money developing the cartridge. I can’t see it going anywhere.

Yeah, I really don’t understand why Federal spent all that time and money developing the cartridge. I can’t see it going anywhere.
The only reason I see is for places with military caliber restrictions. And that really makes the most sense if they think they're getting ahead of a sea change here.

I guess, if they've figured out how to keep the recoil down, it makes sense for the target audience of the S&W EZ series as well. So not a question healthy, male shooters ever asked; but one that older shooters with arthritis, or smaller folks with weak hands and recoil sensitivities might.

I think .30 SC will be just as popular as .327Mag [rofl]
Could be, but it has the advantage of being a semi-auto pistol caliber in the age of cheap plastic semi-auto compacts and subcompacts.

A national 10-round mag capacity limit would kill it. Removal of mag capacity limits everywhere would probably help it.

Could be, but it has the advantage of being a semi-auto pistol caliber in the age of cheap plastic semi-auto compacts and subcompacts.

A national 10-round mag capacity limit would kill it. Removal of mag capacity limits everywhere would probably help it.
Why do you propose that mag limits would kill it? For folks who care about capacity, getting 10 in a pistol that used to hold 8 (Shield) is at least as good as hitting 20 in something that used to hold 17 (M&P9). For folks who don't care about capacity, it's moot.

The only chance 30 SC has of surviving is how far SW is willing to go with their marketing and how many they want to produce.

SW can easily flood stores with it and spend a lot on marketing and YouTube reviews. But for how long do they want to keep that going?

It would have helped if they introduced it in the beginning of the pandemic when everything was out of stock.

I wonder if they couldn't do it then because the gun and production werent ready or because Federal had such a backlog they wouldn't manufacture any ammo for it.

Why do you propose that mag limits would kill it? For folks who care about capacity, getting 10 in a pistol that used to hold 8 (Shield) is at least as good as hitting 20 in something that used to hold 17 (M&P9). For folks who don't care about capacity, it's moot.
You can get 10 in a p365 so if you are limited to 10 anyways, 30sc becomes really niche.

But if you can make all kinds of carry guns ranging from little pocket guns all the way to concealable guns with 18+1, that’s multiple market segments you can appeal to.

It’s damn near impossible to get a new caliber off the ground as it is, so getting confined to a niche is a sure way to fail.

It’s also why it’s not really appealing to people in MA.

But the long arc of market preferences seems to be towards micro-compact carry guns in 9mm, and away from full size and “compact” in 45 and 40. This would be an extension of that trend.

It’s ability to ever get off the ground is the question.

I forgot about the old single stack Shield. Forgive me. [cheers]

30SC is an answer to a question nobody asked, the average gun buyer doesn't get a boner off a gun that carries a couple extra rounds.
You know, in a gun the size of the LCP II or the P3AT, having a cartridge that is halfway between a .22 Mag and a .380 would be great!!

Having 7+1 or 8+1 instead of 6+1 would be PHENOMENAL!!!!

Having it in a round that is as powerful as 9mm would be FANTASTIC!!!

Yup. Beyond sub-compacts are micro-compacts. Guns that are not even in existence yet. Kahr, KelTec, Ruger, Rorbaugh, S&W, others, here is your challenge for the future.

See above.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of a projectile and a pressurized injected gas ignited electronically.
Turn the gun into an internal-combustion engine of sorts, and the projo is the piston.
No case or primer. Lots of hurdles though...

ALREADY BEEN DONE!

04Sw5ek.jpg

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/IPqo0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJAXpyt8-oQ

Last edited:
You can get 10 in a p365 so if you are limited to 10 anyways, 30sc becomes really niche.

But if you can make all kinds of carry guns ranging from little pocket guns all the way to concealable guns with 18+1, that’s multiple market segments you can appeal to.

It’s damn near impossible to get a new caliber off the ground as it is, so getting confined to a niche is a sure way to fail.

It’s also why it’s not really appealing to people in MA.

But the long arc of market preferences seems to be towards micro-compact carry guns in 9mm, and away from full size and “compact” in 45 and 40. This would be an extension of that trend.

It’s ability to ever get off the ground is the question.
A SIG 365 can carry more than 10 rounds.

Not sure if serious those Colt rifles are collectible and demanded premium in any state regardless of AWB b*******. Think of it like an old Thompson or something even if machine guns were completely to regulated old school Thompsons that weren't f***** up from the 20s or 30s would still be worth many thousands of dollars.

I've noticed this. Living in NH, I looked at older ARs, figuring that without it being "pre-ban" it's just "old", and the A1 style is the only AR that does anything for me. The prices for the old Colts are insane for what they are, and the retros aren't on the used market. Meh - it's an itch that I really don't need to scratch.

I thought 9mm Makarov filled that gap between .380 and 9mm?

Lasers on a concealed carry will get you killed out in the streets,...
Are they useful in a 'drawing your gun - defensive gun use but not shooting' situation? Like in the movies where the guy thumbs down the hammer for extra emphasis. Wouldn't putting a big green dot on a bad guy's chest do the same? "Let me be emphatic." lol jokes. Cue the guys who say 'you shouldn't even draw if you don't plan to shoot. if I draw muh weapon, ima neutralize the threat and mag dump'

Are they useful in a 'drawing your gun - defensive gun use but not shooting' situation? Like in the movies where the guy thumbs down the hammer for extra emphasis. Wouldn't putting a big green dot on a bad guy's chest do the same? "Let me be emphatic." lol jokes. Cue the guys who say 'you shouldn't even draw if you don't plan to shoot. if I draw muh weapon, ima neutralize the threat and mag dump'
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I am one of those guys, so I’ll say it. If it’s not time to shoot right now, it’s probably not the time to draw, at least not here in MA.

In MA, you don't use deadly force unless there is an imminent threat to your life. If that threat isn't there and you draw, then you've A&B with a deadly weapon. So if you draw and don't shoot, and don't get shot, then the threat wasn't imminent, so you shouldn't have drawn. Don't blame me I don't write the laws in MA. [laugh]

In MA, you don't use deadly force unless there is an imminent threat to your life. If that threat isn't there and you draw, then you've A&B with a deadly weapon. So if you draw and don't shoot, and don't get shot, then the threat wasn't imminent, so you shouldn't have drawn. Don't blame me I don't write the laws in MA. [laugh]
It is possible for the threat to stop while you are drawing your gun. So you shouldn’t think that because you’ve drawn you must shoot.

But the main point that you are making, that you can only use deadly force if the threat is immediate, is indeed correct.

It is possible for the threat to stop while you are drawing your gun. So you shouldn’t think that because you’ve drawn you must shoot.

But the main point that you are making, that you can only use deadly force if the threat is immediate, is indeed correct.
The problem is there is nothing in the law that allows for a gun to be used as a way to deescalate or divert a threat. and relying on the bad guy to testify he was going to kill you until he saw your guy is a bit risky. More likely he say I wasn't going to hurt him, and now you need to prove there was an actual threat.

I make these comments half-kidding because it really does look like the law encourages people to not stop once the gun is drawn. Obviously, if you draw on a guy with a knife he's probably going to back down and if he does you shouldn't shoot him.

Back
Top Bottom