changing gun trends

It’s funny, because I’ve seen cops draw several times without shooting.

Oh yeah, never mind.
Yup, different standard is applied to them. In their defense, they are charged with arresting people, which is something us non-cops should rarely attempt.

You need a squared trigger guard to have a flashlight mount that isn’t shit on any above pocket/sub handgun
In addition to the P95 you did not acknowledge, here are two of the most popular concealed carry snubnose guns. Low and behold, no squared trigger guard, no flashlight crapola.

1662761380195.png

In addition to the P95 you did not acknowledge, here are two of the most popular concealed carry snubnose guns. Low and behold, no squared trigger guard, no flashlight crapola.

View attachment 659941
They're in a class of handgun that never gets a light though...... not to mention snub revolvers are not exactly a burgeoning category of firearms in the past few years..... no offense but if you think that a revolver is a popular concealed carry choice you are smoking something resembling crack. Let's put it this way.... I worked in retail selling guns for the past 2 years during covid.... and I sold a /shitload/ of guns.... I could probably count the number of revolvers that I sold in that window on less than two hands....... sure there are some guys that are old school that still carry snubs or whatever but they're pretty much a minority. .. I'm not knocking the choice (i like snubs for various reasons even if i don't have one right now) but I'm just saying that none of the noobs are intentionally choosing that these days. Snub nose revolvers are borderline statistically insignificant in handgun sales. Even vomit-40s are out selling snubs.... and they're not that popular either.

ETA: the other thing is you're also talking about a class of handgun that customarily always had a rounded trigger guard of some type. Modern semiautos mostly have not had this swoopy b******* going on, save for the P239 and a few others. Actually as a case in point I will use Jesus Christ"s handgun the 1911 usually has a rounded trigger guard... but for most intents and purposes it's almost squared... 🤣 it makes 90° pretty fast.

Are they useful in a 'drawing your gun - defensive gun use but not shooting' situation? Like in the movies where the guy thumbs down the hammer for extra emphasis. Wouldn't putting a big green dot on a bad guy's chest do the same? "Let me be emphatic." lol jokes. Cue the guys who say 'you shouldn't even draw if you don't plan to shoot. if I draw muh weapon, ima neutralize the threat and mag dump'

I dont mnow why, but I thought of This is The End, but with mag dump.

Danny McBride: I'll mag dump wherever the **** I want, James. I'll ****in' mag dump in your kitchen, I'll mag dump on your ****in' art, I'LL MAG DUMP ANYWHERE I WANT!
James Franco
: I will ****in' mag dump right on you! I will mag dump like a ****in' madman all over you, McBride!
Danny McBride: Ooh! I ****in' wish you'd mag dump on me right now, I ****in' DARE YOU TO MAG DUMP ON ME!
[Both men exchange gun gestures at each other]
Danny McBride: [Grabbing a gun between his legs] I'm gonna jack my trigger so ****in' hard in here!

snub revolvers are not exactly a burgeoning category of firearms in the past few years
I thought they were enjoying a big comeback. Maybe I'm wrong.

Snubs never get a light because they can’t — the ejector rod is in the way.
The points of compactness and "pocketability" are mostly in the way.

Last edited:
They're in a class of handgun that never gets a light though...... not to mention snub revolvers are not exactly a burgeoning category of firearms in the past few years..... no offense but if you think that a revolver is a popular concealed carry choice you are smoking something resembling crack. Let's put it this way.... I worked in retail selling guns for the past 2 years during covid.... and I sold a /shitload/ of guns.... I could probably count the number of revolvers that I sold in that window on less than two hands....... sure there are some guys that are old school that still carry snubs or whatever but they're pretty much a minority. .. I'm not knocking the choice (i like snubs for various reasons even if i don't have one right now) but I'm just saying that none of the noobs are intentionally choosing that these days. Snub nose revolvers are borderline statistically insignificant in handgun sales. Even vomit-40s are out selling snubs.... and they're not that popular either.

ETA: the other thing is you're also talking about a class of handgun that customarily always had a rounded trigger guard of some type. Modern semiautos mostly have not had this swoopy b******* going on, save for the P239 and a few others. Actually as a case in point I will use Jesus Christ"s handgun the 1911 usually has a rounded trigger guard... but for most intents and purposes it's almost squared... 🤣 it makes 90° pretty fast.
This scene sums it up pretty accurately. '38 dont jam' 'dont hold fifteen neither'

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwogM2DL99o

youngins these days need that bullet capacity for spray and prays. sucks to miss only 5 shots then you hear a click and don't know how to reload a cylinder under pressure.

I thought they were enjoying a big comeback. Maybe I'm wrong.

The points of compactness and "pocketability" are mostly in the way.
Maybe not the world's greatest comeback, but the cheaper, lightweight ones S&W and Ruger are making seem to be fairly popular. A lot depends on the store. I have a feeling that Bass Pro and Cabela's sell a lot more of them than the guys at the Mill. [thumbsup]

My Kahr PM9 has a laser on the front and still conceals perfectly in my pocket.
Fun. Now do these:
1662838166870.png
Maybe not the world's greatest comeback, but the cheaper, lightweight ones S&W and Ruger are making seem to be fairly popular. A lot depends on the store. I have a feeling that Bass Pro and Cabela's sell a lot more of them than the guys at the Mill. [thumbsup]
R&R, Bob's, ...

Fun. Now do these:
View attachment 660253

R&R, Bob's, ...
Dude, really?

A S&W 642 weighs 14.4 oz. A Kahr PM9 is smaller than the 642 AND lighter: 14 oz. If you can carry a 642 in those you can also carry a PM9.

If you prefer a 642, have at it. I’ve had both. I sold the 642 because the PM9 is so much easier to shoot accurately and is also far more comfortable to shoot, even though it shoots higher power ammo. But if a revolver floats your boat, have at it.

besides the political shit we deal with daily, do any of you guys ever sit back with a beverage and ponder the changes you've seen in your time as a firearms enthusiast? two that i think about is...watching the semiautomatic pistol push to the forefront while tossing revolvers to the curb and the other, the emergence of the anemic, weak ass european cartridge with one bullet style and loading, the 9mm, into a powerhouse heavyweight contender. with several bullet weights and styles available to the reloader now as well as a bunch of commercially loaded good loads offered too. the 9mm has shocked me the most. knocking the .45acp almost out of the conversation.
RKG was at the RI qual, and he mentioned that back when Smith was making their excellent quality, 3rd gen, metal frame pistols, it cost them $52 to create the metal frame for that gun. Glock came on the scene, and were able to make their Tupperware frames for 22 cents. Since people like cheap guns, the plastic gun took the market by storm.

Why I love safari rifles and CZ.

Add iron sights to that list. It is so hard to find a bolt action with iron sights today. CZ does a good job and they are beautiful.

One of my favorite rifles is a Siamese Mauser converted to 45/70, with a new wood stock. I know, some here will hate me, but f*ck it, there are millions of mil surp Mausers, a conversion done right with a beautiful stock is a very nice rifle.

true refinement would be 40/70

... nobody has ever said to me "I otherwise like this gun but it looks ugly so I'm not buying it". It's literally just not important in the bulk of sales anymore. Ergonomics and form factor are king.
opinion

So you're trigger guard isn't larger internally than the kahr one that's news to me. Measure the wasted space, it's impossible to make a holster to accommodate your trigger guard without using a little extra material.
I took it, and drew a line INSIDE the old one.

Then you increase the size of the trigger guard.
see above

giant fruity trigger guard
smaller, opinion

Yes it looks great for a gun that won't actually fire. (Well, maybe as a single shot)
Not sure where you pulled that one out of.

My crusade is to hunt down infidels who blaspheme the 1911. Shame! Shame! Shame!

katm5bep9d971.jpg

And snubbies definitely have their niche. I prefer them as a last resort weapon- you know, throw them at the BG because there is no way in hell I'm going to hit the target with a snubbie.

shame-gameofthrones.gif

All the cool kids are running optics on pistols now, even Kyle Rittenhouse these days

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbjr717M5Rc

I like illuminated optics for paper punching games. What I think is stupid is to use any type of battery powered optic for EDC self defense firearms, thus except for the paper punching or perhaps hunting I think battery powered optics are a ridiculous fad. My following opinion is not directed at you but at the forum in general:

There are a lot of stupid arguments in favor of battery powered optics. Yes, of course they have been fully adopted by many if not most military forces. OK, if you have a pack and pockets full of gear, back-up people, and battlefield supply chain following you around on your daily errands- why not? B-b-but some have a bazillion hours of useful life, motion activated on/off, etc. The battery is still a failure point and IMO still a ridiculous over-complication for life threatening scenarios. Faster target acquisistion blah blah blah. BS, and JFC learn to use iron sights.

Everybody faps to their John Wick fantasies when planning for self defense. Guess what? You are not going to be attacked by a group of IPSC cardboard cut-out ninjas who will spread out in front of you and hold still while you drop mag and reload. I'd wager that 99.99% of the time your attacker(s) will be right in your face and quickly closing whatever distance, if any. What was happening to Kyle when he was left with no choice but to pull the trigger?

Save the batteries for your airsoft gadgets. Learn to use iron sights for EDC's. You like a well lit dot for aiming? Fiber optic and tritium front sights don't need batteries.

There's my opinion on a trend.

images

I like illuminated optics for paper punching games. What I think is stupid is to use any type of battery powered optic for EDC self defense firearms, thus except for the paper punching or perhaps hunting I think battery powered optics are a ridiculous fad. My following opinion is not directed at you but at the forum in general:

There are a lot of stupid arguments in favor of battery powered optics. Yes, of course they have been fully adopted by many if not most military forces. OK, if you have a pack and pockets full of gear, back-up people, and battlefield supply chain following you around on your daily errands- why not? B-b-but some have a bazillion hours of useful life, motion activated on/off, etc. The battery is still a failure point and IMO still a ridiculous over-complication for life threatening scenarios. Faster target acquisistion blah blah blah. BS, and JFC learn to use iron sights.
I've spent nearly 30 years shooting iron sights. I know how to use them. But like many people my age, I just can't use them well anymore. Presbyopia is a thing most of us over 60 will experience. I just can't focus on a front sight anymore without reading glasses. In a defensive situation, I can't expect to have the time needed to put on my reading glasses.

Many defensive shootings occur in low light. Red dots are so much easier in low-light than even night sights it is like cheating.

As for the battery, they last multiple years. I replace the batteries once a year. Replacing the batteries on Holosun models is trivially easy. If that is hard for some folks to remember to do, a repeating reminder in a calendar app is trivially easy to set up. Every time I holster my carry gun, I check that the magazines are full, that the chamber is full, and that the red dot is on. The chance of the red dot failing between the time I holster in the morning and later that day when a defensive incident occurs is slim.

Like anything else, red dots have advantages and disadvantages. You cited the disadvantages but did not acknowledge the advantages.

Last edited:
Many slide mounted red dots allow for co-witnessing of iron signts.

Competitions shooting and the civilian market is often the trial ground for new things. Practical shooting competitors were using optics on ARs long before the military made it pretty much standard, and some PDs are now moving to slide mounted rear sights.

I'm wondering what really caused the striker fire over hammer fired trend.

Just seems that everything is striker now a days and only classic style guns(92,226,911) etc are hammer.

Very few newish pistols are hammer fired. (Fnx45, hk45, p30)

I'm wondering what really caused the striker fire over hammer fired trend.

Just seems that everything is striker now a days and only classic style guns(92,226,911) etc are hammer.

Very few newish pistols are hammer fired. (Fnx45, hk45, p30)
Less training for police agencies for a striker-fired gun versus either DA/SA or SAO with a safety. I suspect they are also cheaper to make.

Last edited:
Less training for a police agencies for a striker-fired gun versus either DA/SA or SAO with a safety. I suspect they are also cheaper to make.
When I go through the options SAO, DA/SA, and DAO, comparing to striker, the striker doesn't win along every dimension of comparison, but it places well. It's a pretty clear overall winner. I don't carry one, but I like the DA/SA fine. It is more work, however, to stay proficient with the DA pull. It's easy for me because I'm a revolver shooter, but for your average not-a-gun-guy cop?

Back
Top Bottom