• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW Concerns

Posting here to avoid a new thread on the same topic. My ltc-a alp could arrive as soon as 2 weeks from now. I was set on a p229, but now I'm wondering if a p239 or s&w 642 may conceal better and/or be more comfortable. I know a lot of you carry a p229 all day, but I'm just wondering if there is a significant difference or not with a p239 or 642.

And for those with thunderwear/smartcarry, is it comfortable while sitting? Can you adjust your boys if needed, or does it get in the way? How long did it take you to get over the idea of a loaded weapon pointed at your junk?

239 is very different from a 642. A 239 requires a belt holster. It is significantly less bulky than a 229, but still requires a belt holster and cover garment.

In contrast, a 642 is a pocket gun. If you are going to carry a gun in a belt holster, then you can carry a gun that is easier to shoot than a 642.

I checked out the 642 in a shop, and it won't fit my jeans' front pocket. I was going to carry it on my belt anyway, but I haven't thought about the shootability of it yet. I was sure I wanted g19 until I went to the range yesterday and tested a glock and a sig side by side. Next trip to the range I'll be sure to test a 442/642.

I shot the 229, but not the 239. Now that you've got me thinking about actually shooting the guns rather than just carrying them, I should head out to AFS to rent the 239 as well. Sucks that it's over an hour away... but at least it's summer so I have an excuse for a nice bike ride :).

My carry is a K40, kept in an OWB holster. Since it only holds 6+1, I keep a spare mag in my left front pocket. When I ride and wear leather, or go into less friendly neighborhoods I keep my XD45 in an IWB SOB (Small of Back) holster. Both are from Galco, which surprisingly enough I haven't seen mentioned here… Being a "fluffy" guy myself (6'4", 300 or so) I almost always wear my shirts untucked.

As far as printing goes, I just spent a 4 day weekend with my Father, Brother, and 16 y/o nephew. Until we were sitting around at the the hotel pool on day 3, none of them noticed a thing, and there were daily hugs at the beginning and end of the day. We were in and out of cars, restaurant booths, etc, and until I brought it up and offered a day at the range, nobody was the wiser... "You mean you've been wearing it the whole time?"

Like somebody here said, you'll feel like you're walking around with your d*ck hanging out the first few days… But since our guns (and unfortunately d*cks) are smaller than we think, everybody here is right, the sheeple won't notice. Hell, they barely know the difference between an umbrella and an assault rifle fer God's sake!!

My carry is a K40, kept in an OWB holster. Since it only holds 6+1, I keep a spare mag in my left front pocket. When I ride and wear leather, or go into less friendly neighborhoods I keep my XD45 in an IWB SOB (Small of Back) holster. Both are from Galco, which surprisingly enough I haven't seen mentioned here…
I have three Galco holsters. I think they are crap. The mouths are not reinforced and can collapse after drawing, making it hard to reholster one-handed.

There are plenty of better holsters around in either kydex (Raven Concealment, Comptac, etc) or leather (Kramer, Milt Sparks, rusty Sherrik, etc).

I am familiar with that situation and I did forget about it. Seems it was a pretty isolated case. Look at it this way. Out of the thousands and thousands of people that carry every day in the course of 10 years there was only two known incidents? And the outcome of those two were positive?

The outcome may have been positive but the expense they incurred was not.

I checked out the 642 in a shop, and it won't fit my jeans' front pocket. I was going to carry it on my belt anyway, but I haven't thought about the shootability of it yet. I was sure I wanted g19 until I went to the range yesterday and tested a glock and a sig side by side. Next trip to the range I'll be sure to test a 442/642.

I shot the 229, but not the 239. Now that you've got me thinking about actually shooting the guns rather than just carrying them, I should head out to AFS to rent the 239 as well. Sucks that it's over an hour away... but at least it's summer so I have an excuse for a nice bike ride :).

You must have a very small or tight front pocket if a 642 won't fit in it.

First Defense in Uxbridge and Bob's Gun & Archery Pro Shop in Webster are worth checking for holsters. I know both carry Crossbreed and may carry others.

True. The style of jeans I wear has very small/tight front pockets... but damn do they make me look seksi.

Anyway, upon further consideration, the 239 is more of a compromise gun for me. Therefore, if my clothing allows it, I'll carry a 229, otherwise the 642 will suffice for when my paranoia meter is a running high.

So now that I have my first 2 guns (out of many) picked out... I have to decide if I want the 229 in in all black or two-tone... with wood grips... :drool:

Now I have to start checking out holsters/belts, lest I'm forced to carry it gangsta style tucked into my waist band behind my back.

taggart, did you end up trying the glock 19 and the 26 at AFS, i head over there almost every tuesday night and try out guns. i got my LTC A unres, today , and i picked up from another forum member an HK uspc 9. if i were not getting that , i would have easily gone for the 19 / 26 really nice.. I did play with the 229, 239 while i was there as well. both are really good guns, but i think they are heavier than even my hk.. mostly cause they are all steel. if you ever want to shoot tuesday night let me know. my second gun will probably be a G26 , or something even smaller, maybe a kahr, if i can handle the recoil.. but if not . im going with the glock 26 , since the 19 is pretty much the same size as the hk.

Tried the p229 and g22 at original bob's in salisbury (they didn't have a g19). I was pretty sure I wanted a glock until I tried the sig. I shot better groupings with the sig, and they both felt equally good in my hand. Some people complain about the DA/SA on the sig, but I like it. I'll still pick up a glock, of course, but I'm just shopping for a 4th gen. I've got big hands, so I don't think I could go with a sub-compact. I played around with a p239 at fs, but it felt weird with my pinky hanging off. I could get an extension mag for it, but at that point, I might as well just be carrying the p229.

Back
Top Bottom