• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why I CCW: Chimps use military-style tactics to gain advantage on rivals, study reveals

Reptile

NES Member
Research finds primates seek high ground to ascertain size and proximity of other groups before advancing or retreating

The tactic is so effective when the enemy is near that Sun Tzu recommends it in The Art of War: “He who occupies the high ground,” the Chinese general declared in the ancient military treatise, “will fight to advantage”.

But soldiers are not alone in having hit on the idea. Troops of chimpanzees in Ivory Coast have taken up the same strategy, researchers say, scaling hilltops for recce missions and advancing if the enemy is distant or outnumbered.

“These military tactics that we see in humans – the importance of high ground – is maybe something that’s deeply rooted in our evolutionary past,” said Sylvain Lemoine, a primatologist at the University of Cambridge and lead author on the study.

“The chimps go up the hill, stop there, and, based on the information they gather, either carry on or retreat,” he said. “The high ground enables them to get information on their neighbours, especially the number, and how far away they are.”

Continues...

Meh.

"Get a better view" is hardly advanced thinking. Even birds know you get a better view from high up, and their brains suck.

I don't think this is Planet Of The Apes-level cognition from our fellow primates. They're not using "military tactics." They're just using their eyes. Seeking a better place to put those isn't really all that impressive.

Meh.

"Get a better view" is hardly advanced thinking. Even birds know you get a better view from high up, and their brains suck.

I don't think this is Planet Of The Apes-level cognition from our fellow primates. They're not using "military tactics." They're just using their eyes. Seeking a better place to put those isn't really all that impressive.
Gorilla Tactics!!!

Someone, quick- post the nature video of the Ape with a machine gun!!!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBK9rXvyyo

“These military tactics that we see in humans – the importance of high ground – is maybe something that’s deeply rooted in our evolutionary past,” said Sylvain Lemoine, a primatologist at the University of Cambridge and lead author on the study.

Nope. You don't have to be a deep thinker to go somewhere with a better view.

+1.

Yep. Writers have to write something to eat, this guy must be getting hungry for this to be his story at print.

Watch Nat Geo this isn’t anything new.

They rip each other apart when they fight over territory. It’s actually pretty terrifying to watch.

Back
Top Bottom