• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone reco a good CCW app

For traveling across the country by car, or whatever. That's why I thought it might be helpful with those laws.

For cross-country, I typically take a look at which states I'd have a reciprocity problem with (holding MA and UT LTC). Then if it makes sense, plan to avoid them or take extra care when traveling through them.

If I happen to need to look something up for a specific state, say I wanted to purchase a rifle or something, I'll just do an internet search on a smartphone.

Personally, I haven't seen a resident phone app that details the laws state by state and specific to carry.

POTUS, IANAL, EABODs, etc, are acronyms not abbreviations.
POTUS is.

"Potus".

Not the other 2.

I don't say "aye an all" or "eee aye bod".

I guess we can always start something new, though.

Maybe we can employ some onomatopoeias...

Onomatopoeia is the use or creation of a word that phonetically imitates, resembles, or suggests the sound that it describes. Such a word itself is also called an onomatopoeia. Common onomatopoeias include animal noises such as oink, meow (or miaow), roar, and chirp.
A good Onomatopoeia for EABODs is "gulp gulp gulp".

Kinda nice to see Florida go green on the map. Their permitless carry kicked in June 1st.
it is nice to be CC in FL, but there is still no open carry unless hunting/fishing/camping and even then you might get hassled, no CCW in bars or bar areas of food service establishments, and there is still a 3 day waiting period to buy a gun from a FFL.

Private party sales allowed FTF between residents without a waiting period

There is also a stronger than carbon fiber stand your ground law there too

POTUS is.

"Potus".

Not the other 2.

Onomatopoeia is the use or creation of a word that phonetically imitates, resembles, or suggests the sound that it describes. Such a word itself is also called an onomatopoeia. Common onomatopoeias include animal noises such as oink, meow (or miaow), roar, and chirp.
I say I-anal

POTUS is.

"Potus".

Not the other 2.

I’m not wrong.

I’m not wrong.

An acronym doesn't have to be something you can pronounce as a word. IANAL absolutely is an acronym.

An acronym IS a type of abbreviation.

Not how I expected this thread to devolve. But I'm ok with it
How do you pronounce - EABODs?

ac·ro·nym

noun
noun: acronym; plural noun: acronyms
  1. an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).
    "abbreviations and acronyms are necessary in chat and SMS communication"​
Origin:

1940s: from Greek akron ‘end, tip’ + -onym.

Use over time for: acronym

There is a difference between abbreviations and acronyms.

Yes, an acronym is a type of abbreviation.

While we are talking coons - can we discuss anthropomorphism...

If you've ever met a fox in real life, chances are it's not as cunning and charismatic as Mr. Fox, doesn't cooperate with other animals, and can't speak a human language. Assigning these humanlike qualities to a fox is an example of anthropomorphism, a literary device that pops up all the time in storytelling.

How do you pronounce - EABODs?

ac·ro·nym

noun
noun: acronym; plural noun: acronyms
  1. an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).
    "abbreviations and acronyms are necessary in chat and SMS communication"​
Origin:

1940s: from Greek akron ‘end, tip’ + -onym.

Use over time for: acronym

There is a difference between abbreviations and acronyms.

Yes, an acronym is a type of abbreviation.

While we are talking coons - can we discuss anthropomorphism...

If you've ever met a fox in real life, chances are it's not as cunning and charismatic as Mr. Fox, doesn't cooperate with other animals, and can't speak a human language. Assigning these humanlike qualities to a fox is an example of anthropomorphism, a literary device that pops up all the time in storytelling.
Glglgl

EABOD: "EE-uh-bod."

It's not that hard. But acronyms don't have to be made into words. The Army is packed with acronyms that aren't pronounced as words. They're still acronyms because they're formed out of initial letters.

An abbreviation that isn't an acronym? Something like "Jan" for January, or "Tues" for Tuesday.

Or "abbrev." for abbreviation.

There are also backronyms, and those are interesting too.

It's not that hard. But acronyms don't have to be made into words. The Army is packed with acronyms that aren't pronounced as words. They're still acronyms because they're formed out of initial letters.

An abbreviation that isn't an acronym? Something like "Jan" for January, or "Tues" for Tuesday.

TY. LOL

There is an argument that acronyms you don't pronounce as words are initialisms.

And, while I'm just champing at the bit to agree with @Reptile on this one, I'm not sure this is a hill worth dying on.

In fact, per MW
Some people feel strongly that acronym should only be used for terms like NATO, which is pronounced as a single word, and that initialism should be used if the individual letters are all pronounced distinctly, as with FBI. Our research shows that acronym is commonly used to refer to both types of abbreviations.

You know what I really like???

"Retronyms".

1980 - Cameras were mechanical and had big lenses and used film.

2010 - Cameras were mostly digital.

2023 - A 1980's "camera" is now called a "film camera".

"film camera" is a retronym.

I refer to my home telephone as a "telephone". That is sort of a retronym as most phones are cell phones now.

There is an argument that acronyms you don't pronounce as words are initialisms.

And, while I'm just champing at the bit to agree with @Reptile on this one, I'm not sure this is a hill worth dying on.

In fact, per MW

I don't disagree, but at least it made the thread useful.

Back
Top Bottom